Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1910 1911 [1912] 1913 1914 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851660 times)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28665 on: April 07, 2013, 11:07:05 am »

And guess what I'm about to do?
Pour some gravy on it so it gets that delightful and crispy (obsidian) crust?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28666 on: April 07, 2013, 11:09:31 am »

A vile force of darkness arrived, 3 squads of mounted orcs one of them all archers and a squad of trolls.  There is also a merchant caravan on the map, the merchant guards heroically engage the mounted orcs in the open field.

I usually dislike losing control of my military to bloodlust but the guards' heroic stand moved me.  So I sent my 20 melee soldiers out to cover the other side of the caravan where the trolls and a squad of macemen led by a crossbowmaster were going to intercept them.  I assigned my fortress guard to hold the front gate.

The caravan guards in some kind of moment of clarity managed to draw their fight closer to the walls of my fortress, and my squad of archers on the walls started to blot out the sun in support. My melee soldiers utterly destroyed the macemen and trolls, no survivors. 5 years of nonstop sparring will do that to a squad I guess.

In the end I lost 2 soldiers, the caravan guard took heavy losses before my guys could help clean up but still exists, probably all thanks to their positioning.  Every merchant and merchant animal survived and they are still willing to trade.  Stockpile reports 78 corpses with orcish names.

So there's been this Giant Cave Crocodile in Silentthunders' lakes for a while. It's been there longer than every other creature in the Fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And guess what I'm about to do?
You must make it yours, train it to be a murderous killing machine and release it back into the caverns to repaint them in blood.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:13:30 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28667 on: April 07, 2013, 11:21:17 am »

Three forts, all abandoned after failing to breach the aquifer using the cave-in method.  First two I screwed up the construction in multiple ways. 

On the third, one of my miners went and drowned himself while channelling into the aquifer.  They were able to recover his body so I assigned another dwarf as miner and was able to finish it off.  However, when the plug broke loose and collapsed suddenly the whole area was flooded. 

I gave up after that.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Dammit, there's the fourth fortress abandoned.  The Aquifer was two layers deep, and when I tried to drop the second layer there wasn't enough soil an it flooded. 

I feel like I'm getting close.  Maybe just need to pick a different site.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28668 on: April 07, 2013, 11:37:59 am »

The initial idea of bring water into the fort failed, since water wheels can't be built so close to the edge. So I designed a new plan to bring water into the fort, and flush it out. Fortunately, there's few wounded who need water this winter.

Also built the vault for housing artifacts. Those kea bastards aren't going to make off with more of them.

The danger room is almost completed, just got to link up those last few spears.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28669 on: April 07, 2013, 11:49:26 am »

Militia had a run in with an FB's deadly dust. They're all vomiting constantly and they're covered in pus. No wounds, no rotten tissue just head to toe pus.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28670 on: April 07, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

Lashedbridge military training continues.

Children being born since old dwarves are dying peacefully in the barracks while training.  Slabs are accumulating in the catacomb which is also designated as a memorial and thus gets visitors.

A marksdwarf outside the walls "visiting" a previous combat spot got ambushed by goblins.  He wisely immediately potted the lasher leading them, and then pumped six more bolts into the goblin while his crossbow armed followers ran away - with two squads of melee dwarves in close pursuit.  The merry chase went over the bridge and north along the river bank.  Due to their large head start three goblins got away, the other two ended up as corpses in the river to be eaten by the fishes.

A goblin siege turned up shortly afterwards.  Two cavalry squads were trapped in the Outer Bailey and decimated by traps, marksdwarves, and then the avalanche of melee dwarves appeared to finish them off.   A third squad was trapped on the bridge by opened hatches* and then shot down by a marksdwarf squad.

* - The copper grate "pedestrian crossing" is lever rigged to open the hatches at either end and a couple towards the middle of the span.  Useful for keeping trolls away from the hatches and also trapping intruders in a vulnerable position for later disposal.

A human diplomat appeared as well to appeal for peace.  The duke told him off and he left.  Leaving the outer gate the diplomat encountered a goblin ambush team.  He fled south and led the goblins into a group of weapon traps allowing the diplomat to escape via a different gate.  Pity.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28671 on: April 07, 2013, 01:07:22 pm »

Well folks, turns out 1zlvl cavern lakes aren't very high pressured so it looks like Mr. Croc'll just swim away. The floodgates are being closed for now because there's a flying steam Titan pretending to be relevant scaring Dwarf children and there's a boar that needs rescuing because apparently what few remaining necromancers there were decided to send under 70 Elf corpses to attack my Metropolis Silentthunders. There are no Necromancers revealed as of yet, so the Fort isn't on high alert.
All of the Marksdwarves have been put on duty to man the walls, the towers and the southern gatehouse, if any Necromancers are abound they will find them and shoot them.
23 Marksdwarves, 4 speardwarves, 4 hammerdwarves and one boar against around 70 elf corpses... Eh, at least'll it'll be fun to practice a real nice goblin siege in the future. Hopefully this'll be the end of the siege, but seems a bit anti-climatic for what's lasted so long.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28672 on: April 07, 2013, 01:41:15 pm »

I accidently killed a giant sponge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28673 on: April 07, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »

Thikut on the right showing the benefits of cloaks, hoods and coats in the rain as he links the covers of the quarry to a lever and the zombie elves advance towards the Fortifications. Spikes are being planted on the level below. I thought against making them upright spears so instead they're alternating rows of silver/copper menacing spikes with exceptional mechanisms. Once the spikes are set, the north western corner will finally be completely finished.

BOOM! HEADSHOT!

BOOM! NOSESHOT!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:59:10 pm by Loud Whispers »

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28674 on: April 07, 2013, 03:08:58 pm »

Thikut on the right showing the benefits of cloaks, hoods and coats in the rain as he links the covers of the quarry to a lever and the zombie elves advance towards the Fortifications. Spikes are being planted on the level below. I thought against making them upright spears so instead they're alternating rows of silver/copper menacing spikes with exceptional mechanisms. Once the spikes are set, the north western corner will finally be completely finished.

BOOM! HEADSHOT!

BOOM! NOSESHOT!

Why is their so much blood?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28675 on: April 07, 2013, 05:18:51 pm »

Why is their so much blood?
It's a legitimate aesthetic design. It's very popular among the criminally insane, the psychopaths, and the alcoholic bearded midgets.

It's also probably because it's an evil biome that rains blood, but that's a minor detail.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28676 on: April 07, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »

breached caverns, killing crundles and trogs like a boss
chasing a crundle like a boss, leaving blood everhwhere like a boss
chopping feet off like a boss

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28677 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »

"Boss, we have a problem!"

"Does it involve crundles, trogs, shedding blood, or removing feet?"

"Well, no..."

"Then it's a job for the bureaucrats."
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28678 on: April 08, 2013, 08:32:23 am »

Nine days after the necrosiege. 28 are alive, or undead or whatever. Today I learned Elf corpses have an achilles' toe that makes them explode. 4 confirmed dead in the courtyard, will have to move them in or they might come back. 23 confirmed dead outside the walls and the southern gatehouse. Marksdwarves with the highground are to be feared.
No necromancers spotted, the dead stay dead. The war may draw to a close yet.
Too easily decimated. Sometimes I hope goblin christmas comes early and brings a load of crossbow goblins.

*EDIT
The twats just destroyed a commemorative statue outside. Bloody Necromancers, YOU WIN THIS ROUND.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28679 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:06 am »

I was running an experiment where I sealed my seven dwarves into little rooms with nothing but a farm (with planted plump helmet spawn) and a grate to drink water from.

(one dwarf got a single stockpile square and a barrel. Two of the rooms had two dwarves each; the room with a mixed couple got two farm squares)

Science proceeded. (Did you know a dwarf will not interrupt "Hunt for small creature", even to pluck a yummy plump helmet from the field they are standing on?)

Migrants died from neglect. And by that, I mean I let them pluck berries and did nothing to save them from the were-armadillo I picked up. (Hey, at least he survived the initial were-armadillo by transforming before he starved to death) The were-armadillo's reign was ended by the walking dead. (and eventually a siege came! Yay! No more migrants and caravans to interrupt science!)

Alas, I was hoping to find out if the couple with two farm tiles could survive after birthing a baby. Not even the restless ghost was causing problems.

But then I got my first violent ghost. :(

Oh, and then DF crashed too.
Pages: 1 ... 1910 1911 [1912] 1913 1914 ... 3836