Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1911 1912 [1913] 1914 1915 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860639 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28680 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:07 am »

First siege.  Brought everyone inside and closed the entrance.  Got all prepared.  Started marching my military up to try and drive them off.  On the way, a bog troll and goblin thief appear, side by side.  They kill or cripple half my military and my few war animals.  WTF.  Looks like we're going to be under siege for a while.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28681 on: April 08, 2013, 12:24:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BOOM! TOOTHSHOT!

The attack has been cleared yet the siege endures. Perhaps it was too much to hope for that those were the last!

But an Ettin has arrived. I wonder if I can capture it...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28682 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »

BOOM! TOOTHSHOT!

The attack has been cleared yet the siege endures. Perhaps it was too much to hope for that those were the last!

But an Ettin has arrived. I wonder if I can capture it...

Hello zombie ettin.

Also I love your fort.

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28683 on: April 08, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »

"Boss, we have a problem!"
"Does it involve crundles, trogs, shedding blood, or removing feet?"
"Well, no..."
"Then it's a job for the bureaucrats."

that was perfect, i thank you

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28684 on: April 08, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »

Well, thanks. :P

In news of my own fortress, after my computer bluescreened, killing progress back to before I'd magma'd the giant sponge, evicted the herd of dwarven diplomats, or built a jail or hospital, I have once again accomplished all of those things. At least to some degree. Only the ground floor of the prison has been built, and the hospital isn't even designated although I know what I'll be doing with it.

This time around, though, a brush titan showed up and bumrushed my fortress. It was a towering thornbill or something to that effect, with a venomous bite. It hopped right over the fortress walls and assaulted my pigs (guess titans like bacon too), failing to harm any before the militia showed up and a freshly-recruited ranger engaged it in melee. The ranger didn't last long after getting his right arm torn to shreds, causing him to pass out and allowing the beast to ravage him. While it was distracted by the "free" meal, the rest of the militia, chiefly the melee squads, clustered around the beast and lay into it with various degrees of steel terror, turning it into a shambling pile of mush which bled to death shortly after it chewed through the ranger's skull. The ranger will be entombed shortly in the catacombs.

After that, migrants arrived and I saved the game once again. Because my fucking computer is making me paranoid.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28685 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »

Hello zombie ettin.

Also I love your fort.
Thanks!
It's also even better - Live Ettin. It destroyed two doors (stone does not survive) and toppled two statues (metal does survive!) and camped inside the entrance to the courtyard of my Fort. Ettins have strange pathing, it just stayed there pacing back and forth like a troll under a bridge. Then it got into a fistfight with Doc. Oakchanneled and now resides in a copper cage.
The caverns are being mapped, the tetrahedrite mine mega project is completed. Not sure what to call it, it's currently offline because the river is frozen until winter ends, leaving plenty of time to recover the junk the Dwarves left behind in preparation. The river has been dammed to increase pressure. The child dedicated to Dorfus Maximus is stark raving mad, a sad affair. I shall dedicated a Titan to Dorfus should the child die (inevitable).

One of the saddest moments was watching the Giant Cave Croc finally swim off map  :'(

The oldest resident of the Fort, it was free till it chose to leave. GOODBYE MR. CROC. I got a couple captured Elf corpses. Not sure what to do with them so currently they've joined the raven bomb. Any ideas?

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28686 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:56 pm »

Looking for an upstanding Dorf to appoint as the baron.
"Urist McCandidate likes Elves for their-"
Into the trash it goes!

lel

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28687 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:21 am »

Hello zombie ettin.

Also I love your fort.
Thanks!
It's also even better - Live Ettin. It destroyed two doors (stone does not survive) and toppled two statues (metal does survive!) and camped inside the entrance to the courtyard of my Fort. Ettins have strange pathing, it just stayed there pacing back and forth like a troll under a bridge. Then it got into a fistfight with Doc. Oakchanneled and now resides in a copper cage.
The caverns are being mapped, the tetrahedrite mine mega project is completed. Not sure what to call it, it's currently offline because the river is frozen until winter ends, leaving plenty of time to recover the junk the Dwarves left behind in preparation. The river has been dammed to increase pressure. The child dedicated to Dorfus Maximus is stark raving mad, a sad affair. I shall dedicated a Titan to Dorfus should the child die (inevitable).

One of the saddest moments was watching the Giant Cave Croc finally swim off map  :'(

The oldest resident of the Fort, it was free till it chose to leave. GOODBYE MR. CROC. I got a couple captured Elf corpses. Not sure what to do with them so currently they've joined the raven bomb. Any ideas?

BYO zombie apocalypse. You do still have a necromancer, after all.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28688 on: April 09, 2013, 01:21:37 pm »

Year 7-8 of my most recent fort.  (only one non-reanimating square in a rather large embark)

Despite an official purpose as an "undead reasearch outpost", it has become the Mountainhome thanks to the shameless exploit of lavish meals, set up a caged LIVE ettin for observation (I thought they had trap avoid?), has become an exercise in stockpile management, and is only now, in year 8, is starting to melt down all the useless stuff from the caravans in preparation for making steel armor...and copper dining halls.    yeah.  Copper chair and table spam shall halt the pesky "has complained about the lack of dining tables lately". I hope. 

Research on undead sparring etiquette (etiquette, not technique) is scheduled to begin when we have 50 steel armor sets. 

I'd really like to find out what happens if the king's mandate to "make backpacks" isn't met, only he's the only leatherworker in the fort...so he's got his own private workshop to fulfill his own mandates with. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28689 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »

Year 7-8 of my most recent fort.  (only one non-reanimating square in a rather large embark)

Despite an official purpose as an "undead reasearch outpost", it has become the Mountainhome thanks to the shameless exploit of lavish meals, set up a caged LIVE ettin for observation (I thought they had trap avoid?), has become an exercise in stockpile management, and is only now, in year 8, is starting to melt down all the useless stuff from the caravans in preparation for making steel armor...and copper dining halls.    yeah.  Copper chair and table spam shall halt the pesky "has complained about the lack of dining tables lately". I hope. 

Research on undead sparring etiquette (etiquette, not technique) is scheduled to begin when we have 50 steel armor sets. 

I'd really like to find out what happens if the king's mandate to "make backpacks" isn't met, only he's the only leatherworker in the fort...so he's got his own private workshop to fulfill his own mandates with.

Your most favorite dwarf will be sentenced to hammering. The hammer knows which dwarf that is.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28690 on: April 09, 2013, 02:04:00 pm »

Eh...maybe.  But by that point, all the dwarves will be in steel or candy armor...
Actually, that's assuming my fort even lasts that long against impending fps death.  I'm not entirely sure my recent stockpile changes will be better for fps in the long run or not...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28691 on: April 09, 2013, 03:37:17 pm »

BYO zombie apocalypse. You do still have a necromancer, after all.
Three necromancers! Though I have a better idea for them... In time it shall come to fruition. For now they shall help my chefs and butchers prepare bacon.
The Quarry shall suffice for my zombie apocalypse needs, currently I've harvested 154 undead which reside in one cage. For some reason I've been incapable of bringing Elf corpses back with quarry or necromancer so something dodgy is afoot. Makes me think there might be something special about the elf corpses, or maybe the bits that could come back to life have rotted away.

Winter harvest season! The Fort'll have future farmers, masons and soldiers yet. Three of the children are legendary craftsdwarves from having succeeded in fulfilling a strange mood. The moose pit is being augmented, becoming more flashy and fortified.

The highest level of the quarry still uncleared. It's currently connected over 8zlvls of scaffolding and precariously balanced rubble that hangs on the support of one limestone pillar linked to a lever. Unfortunately all the construction works have to be finished before it's pulled at risk of killing a quarter of the Fort, that might be a year unless a lot of stuff is suspended.
Sad panda.

But a megaproject has been completed! Once winter comes and the pressure tank fills, it'll be operational.

Caught a wild troll. Perfect.

coobuddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28692 on: April 09, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »

New embark sites and spirits are high. Mining pit progress has been stopped by some sort of underground spring. The water appears to be seeping into my embark site at a damp sand wall. No water sources nearby. Pit is filling up and one miner has drowned.

First time seeing this phenom.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28693 on: April 09, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »

New embark sites and spirits are high. Mining pit progress has been stopped by some sort of underground spring. The water appears to be seeping into my embark site at a damp sand wall. No water sources nearby. Pit is filling up and one miner has drowned.

First time seeing this phenom.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Aquifer

Good luck.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28694 on: April 09, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »

Year 8, We are now a barony, largely due to the imported steel we're stretching into masterwork weapons and armor. Why imported? Because there is no iron here. We have plenty of marble, but no iron. I don't think anybody else has iron, either.

A gym has been set up to train the populace in preparation for creating a proper military once the steel stretching is complete.

The CMD took out a peregrine falcon that somehow got inside and was swooping around the bedroom halls.
Pages: 1 ... 1911 1912 [1913] 1914 1915 ... 3836