Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1922 1923 [1924] 1925 1926 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861646 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28845 on: April 21, 2013, 06:34:06 am »

I decided to get smart and use that new Dwarf Therapist branch to manage the strange mood lottery. With a popcap of 100, I trained 25 dwarves as weaponsmiths just enough to have weaponsmithing as their highest moodable stat (I already had a legendary armorsmith), and then left the last one making copper bolts.

Here's how that turned out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28846 on: April 21, 2013, 08:45:19 am »

"An enormous three-eyed tortoise. It has four short horns and it squirms and fidgets. It's tan scales are small and close-set. Beware it's webs!"

This thing was a pain. A giant forgotten beast with webs and horns and I mostly depend on blunt weapons that couldn't seem to hurt it through the shell. It killed no less than 20 of my 50-dwarf military, and got a few others stuck in cage traps, and killed a couple civilians, including a child! A couple wounded, who I hope survive, but they may not.
to top it off, of the military dwarves killed, the captain of the guard and the champion died!

What a mess. Good thing I have plenty of coffins, at least. Time to set up the cages that need to be released, I'm going to need to make some more mechanisms, but I can at least let the dwarves out for now.

the surface is pretty calm for the moment, at least. the first level of my marble-block wall is almost done, and the silver drawbridge and back-door are complete so I can start trading with wagons again and not have them get slaughtered every time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:50:17 am by Jenniretta »

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28847 on: April 21, 2013, 09:17:15 am »

I currently have 65 dwarves out of 100 living adults who are at 0 happiness because a horrible turtle came out of the cavern and sprayed them all with noxious dust that rotted them into goo.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28848 on: April 21, 2013, 09:52:57 am »

more than 150 dorfs now, survived a titan and a goblin siege (i got lucky with magnetite and flux this time), but the FPS are killing me, im in 15 frames now, have killed animals to keep the population stable, but i cannot keep up with so many owned beasts, and looks like dorfs are inmortal, do these guys die of age in ideal conditions?....

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28849 on: April 21, 2013, 10:11:29 am »

more than 150 dorfs now, survived a titan and a goblin siege (i got lucky with magnetite and flux this time), but the FPS are killing me, im in 15 frames now, have killed animals to keep the population stable, but i cannot keep up with so many owned beasts, and looks like dorfs are inmortal, do these guys die of age in ideal conditions?....

Yeah dwarves usually die before they hit 200 years old.
Nourishedcobalt is currently at 9FPS most of the time, occasionally getting as high as 10 and as low as 8.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28850 on: April 21, 2013, 10:48:56 am »

My suggestion for dealing with the undead menace:
Try to build catwalks across the map, 2 z-levels above the ground. Have marksdwarves patrol these in shifts via a simple scheduled patrol, maybe with a training month in-between.
i have something similar to this planned later, smaller watch towers throughout the field that cover each other and can be manned from underground, i havent built it yet though.

After the siege (note the little blue icons around the map, those are the undead; also my map is bigger than this, some of the north and west sides are excluded):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Damn that's inspirational. How many Dwarves you running against 160 zombies?
with the addition of the migrants im now at 132 dwarves, i had 122 when they besieged me.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28851 on: April 21, 2013, 10:54:17 am »

Year of the Titan at Carnagegalley. 

After the hill titan of the summer was invited to dinner another hill titan arrived in the autumn.  Cilko Kafitithra Bekat Nohus is a giant humanoid composed of water - beware his dangerous spittle.  However, he has opted to go chill in the river rather than attacking the fort!

We're keeping an eye on him while proceeding with other construction.  And the last wave of migrants pushed the fortress population to 106.  Time to add a few more rooms to the residence block.  Also time to start drafting dwarves into military squads since there are just too many sitting around socializing and partying all the time.  Will just have to make leather armor and do the best I can for weapons given the metal shortages.  And make "alpha" and "beta" uniform sets so that the veterans get the better equipment.  The one mixed master squad has done pretty well so far (Spear, Axe, 2 Morningstar) since they've taken out a titan and a few goblin ambush squads.

Gate house and Bastion have been completed.  So time to put fortifications on some more of the outer walls along with a few small archery towers.  And then decide what project to do then regarding the river or caverns.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

chlorine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28852 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

This is my second fort, and a dwarf has just been found drained of his blood.
A vampire! I'm pretty excited!

I also have a sixteen-year old child in my fort, which seems strange to me (she doesn't seem to be the vampire as her thoughts mention she has slept recently).

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28853 on: April 21, 2013, 11:59:04 am »

Spring of year two at my new waterfall fort. Three goblin snatchers infiltrated the fort. One was discovered by a dwarf coming up the entrance stairs, so he killed the dwarf with a dagger to the head and ran off across the surface. The dwarf was skilled at dying.

I put the fort into lockdown, but the other two goblins were discovered inside. I didn't have a military at the moment, so I opened an escape route for them. As the goblins fled across a bridge, a dog leaped at one of them causing the goblin to fall 10z into the river and die.

The dog is the pet of the dyer's daughter (still a child). A month later, the dyer's wife (the broker) gave birth to a girl.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28854 on: April 21, 2013, 12:02:02 pm »

dwarven candy!
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #28855 on: April 21, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »

dwarven candy!

So basically dwarven diabetes?

ANywho i'm busy clearing out a cliffside between a joyous ocean and a terrifyingly savage tropical brushland.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28856 on: April 21, 2013, 07:21:35 pm »

Had some ‼FUN‼ today when a dragonman ambush showed up to play. I had my woodsdorfs out chopping wood, and there were many others out there hauling the logs back in. The dragonmen revealed themselves to a legendary cook near the main gate, whom I'd named Roast sometime earlier. He did in fact die in a fire.

Several rangers were out there in the hauling leagues, and when I ordered the militia to their stations, they were the first to engage the dragonmen militarily. Every ranger on the field died, but one swordsdwarf in the melee squad stood out. Not because he was flinging elemental fury at the enemy from a distance, but because after they'd closed on him, hacked his phallus off and smashed his foot to paste, and all seemed lost, he just kept going on and on and on. He blocked their dragonfire, dodged or parried all their blows, and grievously wounded their commander and many of the enemy swordsmen. And he didn't even enter a martial trance. At the beginning of the day he was adequate in his greatest fighting skills, and now he's a talented shield user and skilled swordsdwarf. After the dragonmen retreated, he was still there, crawling through the ashes and hacking heads off the wounded hostiles. He only gained two kills, and many of the dragonmen were repelled or crippled by the rangers on the walls, but he is now officially badass of the first melee squad. I named him Braveheart. He didn't save the grand master glassmaker, though.

Maybe I should change it to sits-on-ass, though, because he isn't resting and nobody has come to pick him up to go to the hospital. I'm afraid he might die like the dwarf he lived up to be; starving in a field because he refuses to ask for help or drag himself to the food stockpile.

There was actually a second squad of dragonmen, approaching from the south, but they all wandered into my cage traps and did jack-shit besides shoot a trapper's throat out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28857 on: April 21, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »

Breached the caverns after setting up a defended entryway.  Lost a miner to a troll before the military arrived to slay the beast.  The Hunters came down and then started making a huge dent in the Elkbird population while a farm was set up and the remaining miners set up mining the easily accessed galena and malachite veins.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28858 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:17 pm »

I have 248 invaders outside my walls. I may run out of bolts.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28859 on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »

In my civilization of spider people that i created i realized that a group of children decided to go explore the troglodyte caverns. That didn't go to well for them, but fortunately a one-armed crossbow spider (who also lost her arm and child to troglodytes due to a hunting accident) happened by and killed the first troglodyte she saw by beating it with a crossbow and ripping it up with her teeth. I like her now.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 ... 1922 1923 [1924] 1925 1926 ... 3836