Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1927 1928 [1929] 1930 1931 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858940 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28920 on: April 26, 2013, 10:09:14 pm »

Hello everyone!

After a foray into adventure mode to generate a bit of history (and getting annoyed by Age changing skipping a few ages upon starting fortress mode), I have started my fortress in the world of the fine human town of Bonelegends (somehow, the human settlements in that world have mostly rather sinister names).

Having not started a fortress mode game in a while, I picked a 5x5 embark with a river running exactly through the middle (cold and temperate biomes)... Well, when the river thawed, only one log of wood from the wagon was lost, so I guess that worked out okay.

I am closing in on the first dwarven caravan, migrants bringing me to 15 dwarves, (2 sets of married couples with a single child included), and in my efforts to save the things from the wagon, I gave the future inn an extra level of cellars, which brought me into limestone, hematite and magnetite. Yay! The dwarven caravan will get iron crafts :) :) :)

This also meant I could start engraving early on. I already found out that my civ's symbol consists of 2 bolts: Pretty neat. My local government has chosen 2 elves, which is rather fitting as the active, main fortress is planned to be a surface fortress, and like all my other fortresses is about peaceful development and trade with all races willing to trade. Anyhow, I guess I need to make a second kiln to increase brick construction to get my building efforts really started.

The only negative thus far is the lack of sand, so I will have to import that (I want to give the buildings glass windows).

From my adventure mode experience, I know that the region has wild boars and wild horses, but thus far, only emus and ravens have visited the map, so I should be okay. There are also turtles and salmons in the local ponds, so I am optimistic about things. Farming wild strawberries, longland grass and blade weed has also begun, but I need to find rope reed... But I don't think it will be a problem.

Yours,
Deathworks

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28921 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:24 pm »

Just ran into my first cave fish woman weregecko.  In game, I mean.  I've met a few in Los Angeles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28922 on: April 27, 2013, 05:55:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So apparently with sufficient application of crossbow you can shoot crundles through fortifications alive.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28923 on: April 27, 2013, 10:24:09 am »

So apparently with sufficient application of crossbow you can shoot crundles through fortifications alive.

This... needs Science.

On topic: my craftdwarf made a figurine of my cook devouring strawberries.  This struck me as the height of hilarity, particularly because said devouring of strawberries happened not ten feet away as the dwarf was making the figurine.  "Hmm, what to make, what to make... *looks over at the food stockpile at the cook stuffing her face with strawberries*... INSPIRATION!"  Also, said cook likes strawberries.  I like this fort already and it isn't even out of its first spring!

Think I'll keep the figurine in my cook's room.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28924 on: April 27, 2013, 10:58:52 am »

"... INSPIRATION!"
Hahaha, this is so adorable... :D

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28925 on: April 27, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »

This... needs Science.

On topic: my craftdwarf made a figurine of my cook devouring strawberries.  This struck me as the height of hilarity, particularly because said devouring of strawberries happened not ten feet away as the dwarf was making the figurine.  "Hmm, what to make, what to make... *looks over at the food stockpile at the cook stuffing her face with strawberries*... INSPIRATION!"  Also, said cook likes strawberries.  I like this fort already and it isn't even out of its first spring!

Think I'll keep the figurine in my cook's room.

Mayor Urist McQueeg now thinks there is a spare key to the food locker.  And is not pleased about it.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28926 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

Having fun with forgotten beasts now in Carnagegalley.  The first one was just a large lizard with dangerous vapors that was dispatched with little note.  The second is a towering humanoid made of sterner stuff!  Sterling silver to be exact.  However, he has been trapped in a side room where some spike traps can pound away for a while.

Meanwhile, the small goblin ambush parties that infest the place have been having their own troubles.  They come sneaking into tunnels intent on mayhem, and are often led by human warriors.  (We start to suspect goblin-human collusion!)  Unfortunately for them the squad of legendary melee dwarves are patrolling and the goblins fare poorly against spears, axes, and morningstars that are deftly handled.

Enough armor is now accumulating for more squads to go into training.  So the militia should be able to handle larger forces soon.

Time to think about how to handle the river ford.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28927 on: April 27, 2013, 02:48:40 pm »

had goblin christmas show up in the form of 3 waves of trolls and many, many lashers. seeing how they're all melee, and i've got my wall set up, they've got no chance.

just my luck too, all my dwarves are inside. no wandering deathseekers either.

all the invaders were easy prey for my elite marksdwarf squad. one of them took joy in slaughter and is no longer unhappy. win win for me.

the only problem is that markdwarves don't get a lot of presents. my marksdwarves are way too good at inflicting psychological warfare. they're behind fortifications, so i imagine goblins seeing their comrades get shot from nowhere. most of them fled like cowards after seeing two or three of their comrades die. even their elites were like wetting themselves, they ran the farthest.

all my markdwarves are elites now, except this one guy who i assume can't shoot (his fingers got chopped off or something). i think i'll replace him with someone who can.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28928 on: April 27, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

I think I'm finally getting military down. In year two of my new fort a goblin ambush showed up, armed and armored. Pretty scary.
Thanks to some training my small squad, armed with picks and unarmored, killed the entire ambush (6 gobbos I think).

Sadly, I lost 3 of my dorfs in the process... In itself not so bad, but some of them had friends...
Most of the tantrums have stopped, but another dorf has been stricken by melancholy. I really hope this won't get out of control. I really like this fortress.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28929 on: April 27, 2013, 07:17:17 pm »

I started a fortress in heavily forested area - so far I haven't had to dig a single tile and my fortress has (perhaps as a result) attracted no migrants whatsoever... just the first two waves... it's just great not having to worry about migrants...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28930 on: April 27, 2013, 09:32:50 pm »

Some pre-science for you.  Crossbow bolts have a tendency to launch smaller stuff away like hammers used to.  Stuff flying away can go through fortifications.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28931 on: April 28, 2013, 12:11:43 am »

so.  i finally had a full-scale millitary encounter with a titan.

Poisonous bite.
But it only manages to bite ONE dwarf.  which bled to death promptly, quickly, and, by dwarf standards, cleanly.
sure, it killed 3 or 5 dogs, but the dogs are for soap anyways, and...yeah.

It made a stack of 415 forest titan roast.  worth 22k, and that's with inexperienced chef's. 
whatever is left of the roast when the elves arrive shall be traded for a single sun berry.

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28932 on: April 28, 2013, 12:13:39 am »

(hit quote instead of modify. GAH!)
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28933 on: April 28, 2013, 01:22:33 am »

Another season, another forgotten beast. This time it was an enourmous Feathered tick. It has fan-like antennae and is slavering. It's Azure feathers are long and narrow. Beware it's poisonous gas!

He managed to push my hammerer into the underground sea, drowning him, and he ripped a leg off a marksdwarf. Otherwise everyone else was fine... for now. I don't know what, if anything, his poisonous gas will do. no immediate effects but about 5 dwarves were exposed to it, not counting the hammerer who's too dead to care about symptoms.
My marksdwarf  who's leg was ripped off is vomiting a lot, but no one else is.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28934 on: April 28, 2013, 02:47:44 am »

2 forgotten beast related accidents in the same month.

First beast managed to slip through my beast-cage trap before i could pull the lever because i was too distracted from microing my woodcutters and mechanic working on the surface to avoid huskifying "vile mist" to pay any attention to the beast. I ended up having to fight it head-on with marksdwarves, which quickly crippled it. However, my first division's captain got bitten by it's poisonous bite and ended up hospitalized with some injuries. There was no obvious sign of any negative effects of a syndrome though.

second beast came in through the hole in the roof of the magma vein that i supposedly walled off. This is the second time that entrance has been used and caused mayhem because the tiles looked so similar that i thought it had been walled off the first time, but there was really alot of empty space, and i didnt realize it until a beast came through. Now, i was SURE i completely sealed it the first time a beast came in through it a while back, but i happened to miss 1 "open space" square so now im the fool, again, and a second flying beast with a poisonous sting manages to get in and i didnt even realize it until my forge workers were cancel spamming due to the beast.

marksdwarves were dispatched and luckily the beast's upper spine got chipped relatively early into the fight, making it winded, uncoordinated, and starting to suffocate. It managed to get into melee range before it was killed and attempted to attack a marksdwarf, but the hits were dodged and there were no casualties after it finally died.

oh and i was practically playing dwarven roulette when i sent my mechanic out to link levers to my map wall-off system during the late season, 2 ambushes of xbowgoblins and bowgoblins lead by a macegoblin/pikegoblin managed to reach my entrance and got exposed, promptly getting mowed down by bolts from above, and running into cages, and being cleaned up by the human caravan that arrived. Yet i happened to luck out, and none of them even interrupted mechanic that was going through the front doors to link levers across the map. (note that i have 4 entrances 1 for north, east, south and west, 1 ambush came through each of the north and west, and i was linking levers to bridges to the north east)
Pages: 1 ... 1927 1928 [1929] 1930 1931 ... 3836