Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1928 1929 [1930] 1931 1932 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789058 times)

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28935 on: April 28, 2013, 06:02:28 am »

The Giant Keas have been back in force at Pricedwalls lately, probably attracted by the ammunition supplies in the outdoor archer range. The marksdwarves on duty and the Soldiers training nearby don't even raise a finger to stop them.

Lining the inner ramparts wall with spiked ball traps has deterred them somewhat, but now everyone in the training field is in danger of having a huge Norwegian blue drop out of the sky onto their heads.

I suspect the dwarves know it's only a matter of time; why else would they have made 3 artifact coffins in a row?

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28936 on: April 28, 2013, 08:36:47 am »

More migrants, with another vampire. This one seems to be uninterested in becoming mayor, so he's stationed outside the front entrance to protect the caravans.

I switched all the uniforms, finally, including getting rid of "over clothes" so the multi-month project of my military dwarves piecing together their new uniforms is underway. hope they finish before the next attack.

speaking of attacks - it's been a year and a half since the last siege. we had a couple small goblin ambushes, but the necromancers have given up, and even the goblins have scaled back their efforts significantly. I'm not sure why this is the case. I may have just killed all the necromancers, if they are historical figures and not a limitless supply. As for the goblins, though, I don't know. Their general narrowly escaped their last
siege so maybe he's just scared ... or more likely died of old age because he's a human?

Update: I've dug too deep I fear. The horrors of the depths have smelled the wine on my miners breath and it's only a matter of time before we can no longer hold ground against them! Nourishedcobalt has entered what I fear are it's final days!

Update2: And so it ends, the last civilians fleeing the smoke-filled chambers while the remnants of the military get slaughtered, holding the line, hopefully long enough for some of the civilians to escape.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:43:48 am by Jenniretta »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28937 on: April 28, 2013, 02:05:31 pm »

Ok. so one of my bone carvers -a dwarve clled ducim olinudesh-goes into a mood and requests a shell...the ONLY shell I had...
Luckily for me, he makes something placeable-inallikot, a pond turtle shell animal trap.  I think i'll put it in the main dining area...

Played around with workshop positioning a bit.  Having all the workshops in one smallish room seems to be ok for fps, if not ideal. 

82 dwarves.  no more shall immigrate; pop cap set to 70 or so.   

Soap exports went well; 200 soap were sent to the mountainhome with the second caravan-enough for every dwarf
there. (Said fortress is technically in another world, but fort-retiring isn't implemented so...)
unfortunately, an announcement happened right before the liason showed up...so i pressed "a" and was unable to request excess animals for slaughter.  A minor exception to the "no elf trading" shall be made, and I will buy up all their animals...with the 20k dwarfbuck forest titan tallow roast.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28938 on: April 28, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

Got mead?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I HAVE MEAD!

Also judging by the sheer mass of rope reed Silentthunders is in possession of now, I am almost certain the Elves get all of their cloth from my Dwarves.

Aaaand nearly reached 40k blocks used up in construction. Thinking of doing something special for that mark.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28939 on: April 28, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »

Playing on Accelerated Modest Mod.

I embarked ("Play Now!" mode) on scorching partially haunted biome (don't remember which) and neutral wild mountains for FUN and I got:
6 beak dogs, which were killed by civilian dwarves with 3 casualties, one ended with crutch and everybody were miserable or very unhappy, for some time. Woodworker tanrumed for moment but did nothing dangerous, just catching dog's eye or punching other dwarf.
I decided to try keep them alive, especially that was there safe now (only normal animals and no reanimate evil biome).

Dwarves fastly and mistakefully digged and built piece of fort and healed injured so I will start with getting food, water and more defences for dwarves. Weirdly, only one of them is unhappy now(maybe because he saw rotting friend), other one is content and last two are ecstatic. I always knowed that dwarves are mentally tough, but that tough!?

Edit:Guys, I got 7 migrants: 2 adults and 5 kids... WHY!?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:32:46 pm by Volfgarix »

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28940 on: April 28, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »

Edit:Guys, I got 7 migrants: 2 adults and 5 kids... WHY!?

Because they're delicious!

I mean, adorable.  "Because they're adorable" is what I meant.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28941 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:16 pm »

Got mead?
I HAVE MEAD!

Also judging by the sheer mass of rope reed Silentthunders is in possession of now, I am almost certain the Elves get all of their cloth from my Dwarves.

Aaaand nearly reached 40k blocks used up in construction. Thinking of doing something special for that mark.
When you get to 40k blocks you need to drop a goblin onto block number 40,000 from a height that makes them explode. Or failing that, you can never go wrong with dwarven space marines.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28942 on: April 28, 2013, 11:01:17 pm »

Went through some odd contortions with a tame giant cave spider - and finally got it to toss web across some cage traps down near my FB trapping zone.  Then I let loose my sterling silver FB from his trap cell.  (After being pounded by a steel menacing spike and a glass one for *over* a year there were a lot of red body parts and also the loss of two hands, two feet, and four stubby horns.  Looks like even steel won't do it.*)

He did fall into a webbed trap however and was caged and then transported upward to be let loose in the pit used for archery practice.  Goblins will be dumped in for his amusement, and otherwise he will be used for archery practice to see if that trains marksdwarves quicker than using ranges.

* - It appears that menacing spikes have a somewhat low severing capability; which is what is needed to finish these creatures off.  Might be better to mix in a spear or two into the trap combinations to see if that helps with the tougher cases.

Each one of the detached parts weighs roughly as much as 20 or so sterling silver metal bars.  Pity there is no way to melt or process the inorganic FB bits.

A few kobolds got past the initial defenses as well - slipped through when a human diplomat was coming in to spy.  What the kobolds found out is that the entrance they use has three doors in that corridor; leading to barracks, barracks, and archery ranges.  The first kobold found a barracks, got stabbed, and then bit in the head by the war grizzly bear that is stationed there.  The second kobold tried a different door and was shot in the throat by a marksdwarf coming from the range.

A third was detected, and then shot by a marksdwarf on guard in the nearby gallery.  Said kobold passed out into a weapon trap tile and did not wake back up.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28943 on: April 29, 2013, 12:41:28 am »

Went through some odd contortions with a tame giant cave spider - and finally got it to toss web across some cage traps down near my FB trapping zone.  Then I let loose my sterling silver FB from his trap cell.  (After being pounded by a steel menacing spike and a glass one for *over* a year there were a lot of red body parts and also the loss of two hands, two feet, and four stubby horns.  Looks like even steel won't do it.*)

He did fall into a webbed trap however and was caged and then transported upward to be let loose in the pit used for archery practice.  Goblins will be dumped in for his amusement, and otherwise he will be used for archery practice to see if that trains marksdwarves quicker than using ranges.

* - It appears that menacing spikes have a somewhat low severing capability; which is what is needed to finish these creatures off.  Might be better to mix in a spear or two into the trap combinations to see if that helps with the tougher cases.

Each one of the detached parts weighs roughly as much as 20 or so sterling silver metal bars.  Pity there is no way to melt or process the inorganic FB bits.

A few kobolds got past the initial defenses as well - slipped through when a human diplomat was coming in to spy.  What the kobolds found out is that the entrance they use has three doors in that corridor; leading to barracks, barracks, and archery ranges.  The first kobold found a barracks, got stabbed, and then bit in the head by the war grizzly bear that is stationed there.  The second kobold tried a different door and was shot in the throat by a marksdwarf coming from the range.

A third was detected, and then shot by a marksdwarf on guard in the nearby gallery.  Said kobold passed out into a weapon trap tile and did not wake back up.
If you wanted to kill the FB spiked balls might work but i'm not 100% sure on that.

But target practice and goblin execution sound better and more dwarfy
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28944 on: April 29, 2013, 12:57:00 am »

If you wanted to kill the FB spiked balls might work but i'm not 100% sure on that.

My normal "safe" method for handling FB are cells and a corridor dug out near the cavern and then connected after everything is built.  The cells have a nice tasty door for the FB to pound on while the cell is sealed with a drawbridge.  Then the levers are pulled and spike/spear traps in the cell ravage the FB.  Organic FBs go down pretty easily - even to green glass spikes. 

The inorganic ones generally have to be pounded until decapitation or lower/upper body severing; and that requires hits from something harder than they are.  A black opal one stood up to bronze spikes for an extended period of time, and then I lured it into an upgraded cell with a steel spike/steel spear combination.  The latter set killed it rather rapidly once a solid body hit was landed. 

Given that I thought steel was hard enough to take down something made of silver I am surprised how well the FB held out.  Thus my theory that spears have a different (or better) sever percentage than the standard menacing spike and thus the combinations are better.

Getting a FB with a spiked ball (or other "standard" weapon trap) would require stunning or webbing it on the trap space.  At that point one of the severing weapons like a serrated blade, giant axe blade, or standard weapon might get a killing blow in.  Though given the work it took getting a GCS to put down webs in the right place I would probably opt for a cage trap since I could then dump the creature into a more certain death trap, like a obsidian maker.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28945 on: April 29, 2013, 01:07:27 am »

Impaledwomen has been... Boring as of late. The dragonmen and kobolds have for the moment ceased their hostilities. The militia is training as per their scheduled orders, but not vigorously so. Most of the work around the fortress goes into the never-ending clothes industry and glass industry, as well as refining metal ores and carving stone blocks for the many large-scale construction projects. Not much smithing of metal goods recently, as the militia is fully equipped, and most of the metal stocks are too small to permit large-scale metal furniture production. I did, however, have a lot of gold furniture made recently. Gold chains and doors have gone into the prison tower I've built; there is no excuse to be unhappy in prison!

Worst thing that has happened is the vampire bookkeeper, Sobrina, becoming miserable after all her clothes rotted off in her cell and it took ages to get replacements dispatched for her.

I have 20 artifacts already in 10 years, and one jeweler-dorf currently possessed by a mood.

Here's a (big) pic of the topside courtyard, just for the hell of it:

The circle in the bottom-right is the base of the temple dome, which I've stalled on out of sheer laziness. The square in the top-left is the base of the prison tower. This ground floor is actually only accessible from the rest of the fortress courtyard, not the prison itself, and contains only a stairway down into the wild animal training pits. The little stockpile of d's south of it is a bunch of dragonman invaders I haven't decided how I'm going to butcher yet.

The interior has gotten progressively more crazy lately. Lot of mining operations in the deep. Everyone still has 3x3 housing except the nobles and other high-class dwarves I especially like
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28946 on: April 29, 2013, 01:22:41 am »

My normal "safe" method for handling FB are cells and a corridor dug out near the cavern and then connected after everything is built.  The cells have a nice tasty door for the FB to pound on while the cell is sealed with a drawbridge.  Then the levers are pulled and spike/spear traps in the cell ravage the FB.  Organic FBs go down pretty easily - even to green glass spikes. 

The inorganic ones generally have to be pounded until decapitation or lower/upper body severing; and that requires hits from something harder than they are.  A black opal one stood up to bronze spikes for an extended period of time, and then I lured it into an upgraded cell with a steel spike/steel spear combination.  The latter set killed it rather rapidly once a solid body hit was landed. 

Given that I thought steel was hard enough to take down something made of silver I am surprised how well the FB held out.  Thus my theory that spears have a different (or better) sever percentage than the standard menacing spike and thus the combinations are better.

Getting a FB with a spiked ball (or other "standard" weapon trap) would require stunning or webbing it on the trap space.  At that point one of the severing weapons like a serrated blade, giant axe blade, or standard weapon might get a killing blow in.  Though given the work it took getting a GCS to put down webs in the right place I would probably opt for a cage trap since I could then dump the creature into a more certain death trap, like a obsidian maker.
Ah well in that case caging would be preferable.

As to why steel didn't seem to pierce him, I'm no expert but it may be because silver is the second densest material behind platinum which (i assume) makes it good for armor or in his case the material you're made out of. Of course since you can't make silver armor being sure is difficult.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:44:21 am by Steelmagic »

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28947 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:36 am »

I got bored with my old fort, and abandon was the easy way out. I was feeling sadistic, so I decided goblins and cavern horrors were the easy way out too. Answer? I build a bunch of upright spike traps in the main hall, and set the lever puller to repeat. Surprisingly few dwarves are actually killed by the spikes themselves, but many tantrum, many don't eat, and many get murdered. When that's done, I reclaim, realize it was a bad idea, reuse the spike traps to kill all but the lever puller, then send him to go fight a blind cave ogre. Then I make a new fort, nearby, and make it a hermit challenge. First of all, I currently have a ballista pointed at the main area, since I didn't embark anywhere particuallarly murderiffic. (It's official. After the spelling error I don't know how to correct, and the not-a-word, spell check hates me.) And second of all, since I did abandon the very first fort after sealing it's fate, I am getting migrant waves of already insane dwarves and violent psychopaths with somehow (They weren't last time I checked) legendary knife user, dodger, fighter, shield user and armor user. Despite showing up with no knife, shield or armor.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28948 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56:18 am »

One of my soldiers just got killed in one shot by a punch through the brain.... delivered by the severed undead arm of an infant.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28949 on: April 29, 2013, 11:04:31 am »

One of my soldiers just got killed in one shot by a punch through the brain.... delivered by the severed undead arm of an infant.
My swordmaster just went out in a similar fashion. Apparently he decided wearing a helmet or waiting for backup is optional when fighting a forgotten beast.

On a happier note;- A artifact steel battle axe was made with engravings depicting a migrant being crushed by a drawbridge. I'm tempted to adopt that as an unofficial flag.
Pages: 1 ... 1928 1929 [1930] 1931 1932 ... 3835