Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1930 1931 [1932] 1933 1934 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862815 times)

Monkeyjaw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28965 on: April 30, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »

I have 79 dwarfs right now. My main miner got hisself killed digging to deep and then standing around instead of going back up and eating or drinking or sleeping. Now all of my dwarves are outside hunting for small animals. I'm trying to build 2 new rooms for beds and a new dining room but the only other miner I have is either hunting animals or sleeping. My squad has managed to kill a few goblins but training military dwarfs is something I'm still not particularly good at.
I don't remember what's happening in my other file, I haven't gone back to it for some time but it looked for a while like all of my dwarfs were going to go crazy/starve to death, somehow I managed to prevent that from happening. Unfortunately, my fortress layout is stuuuupid and spread out over the entire +2, largely without walls.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28966 on: April 30, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »

The war animal breeding project has finally paid off. In a burst of trainer activity, my 'trained animals' count has finally surpassed that of 'other' animals, including the dozen or so sheep that have fallen into the ditch. Oh, and my total animal count is around 450.

A goblin ambush arrived right at my front door (impossible to close, because it's right on the border) a day or two before the human caravan arrived. I was a bit confused, because a human pikeman arrived at the same time, but that turned out to be a member of the goblin civ. Four ran straight into the cage traps, the remaining two were held up by the war giant jaguars in the gate. After watching the show for a while (war animals badly need a power boost - _giant jaguars_ can't do real damage to poorly equipped goblins) i sent in the backup archer squad. The captured invaders have been released (i.e. dumped through a hatch) into the goblin suite, ten rooms in engraved marble but equipped with the shittiest furniture i could find (superior quality chests, how gauche!) and with some stoneware statues of the hamsters our potter hates so much.

A season earlier, yet another bloody gobbo archer squad had shown up and shoved one of their own into a trap to lure out a dwarf on 'clean trap' duty. The stout woodcrafter took a while to realise her predicament, but managed to get out of bowshot before falling unconscious from a broken middle spine. Fortunately, it was only the bone and healed perfectly. She's suffered sensory nerve damage, but since that doesn't impede her mobility and her legendary woodcrafting skill is completely useless anyway (minimum-size map with mostly mountain, so definitely no wood to spend on anything other than the bare necessities like charcoal to make cummy copper crafts), i don't count it as a problem.

I also finally gave up on trying to train three dwarfs at once. They had run into a neverending demonstration loop getting nowhere: i think they were in fact _losing_ skill in 'active training' mode, because they never did anything but 'organise demonstration', one would walk off to sleep/eat/fill waterskin, the whole shebang would fizzle with no benefit of any kind and they'd start over from scratch. A full year of this, and they were 'rusty' in all their defensive skills, thanks to 'training' nine months out of twelve.

I removed one from the squad, put her?/him? into a fresh two-dwarf squad with a freshly-grown-up girl and edited the minimum training requirement to two. With any luck, they'll actually manage to get past 'adept' weapon user this way. Grrr.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28967 on: April 30, 2013, 02:09:48 pm »

Started a new 23a fortress, bit of nostalgia, I like playing the older versions sometimes. Closing in on the second winter and things are going... slowly. I have been progressing a lot slower than I normally do because I decided to build my fortress deeper than I typically do, so just now (almost 2nd winter) I am geting a dining hall set up, and only recently finished the underground farming and plant-gathering areas.
I just not set my first wood burning jobs, too, so I'm only a few weeks away from the first bronze weapons I hope.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28968 on: April 30, 2013, 03:14:17 pm »

Things are moving along smoothly in my new fort. I embarked on a nice defensible location and most of the fort is already set up.

Next on the agenda is actually producing armor for my soldiers and giving everyone a personal room. After that... who knows? I've never really gotten that far before.

On another note: someone just created a lead breastplate. Are those useful? It's a legendary item, so that should count for something. But how does lead stack up to something like iron?

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28969 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »

Impossible happened!: I need cats!
They were killed by second wave of beak dogs. Both of my cats were wandering outside my fort like idiots and... well, cats.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:35:50 pm by Volfgarix »

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28970 on: April 30, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »

4 Forgotten beasts - 1 made out of rubicelle (smashed in half by hammerdwarves), one spewing noxious fumes, a giant 3 eyed chinchilla, and some snake thing (all shot up by marksdwarves). Finally captured a giant cave spider.
2 huge goblin sieges - Cave dragon roasts all round. 2 large ones with trolls (warleader must have snuffed it.)
Too many elite dwarves slacking off work. DFHacked them all back down to adept.
Legendary armorsmith had to be bricked up in his forge after a drawbridge incident crushed a redshirt wearing a lot of masterworks.
Fed goblin captives to Minotaur. Fed migrants to Minotaur. Fed migrant children to Minotaur. Expanded necropolis.

Palpatine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28971 on: May 01, 2013, 02:49:21 am »

Fed goblin captives to Minotaur. Fed migrants to Minotaur. Fed migrant children to Minotaur. Expanded necropolis.

:P

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28972 on: May 01, 2013, 03:20:23 am »

Just had a forgotten beast in the caverns, but locked behind many trees.
I sent a dwarf to cut them...but he took a masterwork steel axe for that.
Now i have a forgotten beast with a masterwork steel axe in its claws.
Fun.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28973 on: May 01, 2013, 09:56:53 am »

Well I found a lovely spot on the edge of two sinister tropical oceans, with a calm grassland to embark on. The first ocean area has this pungent muck rain that causes non-fatal blistering and unconsciousness, and although I got a roof built everyone was covered in the muck and spent quite a bit of time knocked out.

Butchered the pack animals (two yaks) in what I thought was the calm area, but the skins reanimated and came after my dwarves. Now, the skin shouldn't cause a problem, right? Wrong. As the dwarves engaged the undead skin, they became aware of the coverings of muck, passed out, and had their skulls crushed by the skins.

All before midsummer.

EDIT: And the reclaim party is all females. Haven't seen that before.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:10:07 am by Lich180 »

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #28974 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:47 am »

Heh, just started a new fort, and checked one of my dwarves that came after a while.

Not only is he a great hammerdwarf, he has also 400+ kills.

I`m like, whaaaaaa?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28975 on: May 01, 2013, 10:36:00 am »

You must now make the new fortress gynocratic. The RNG demands it.

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28976 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:46 am »

Well, my rush to get the candy and attacking the rutherers caused my dwarves to all slowly start to unwind.  Their happiness went from almost 100% ecstatic to like 35% miserable/very unhappy, and they started going insane/berserk/etc/ad nauseum...lesson learned, next time take it slower on the candy!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28977 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:23 am »

Time for an Amazon fortress. Men are only used for breeding stock, most "unfit" men should be killed outright, and they (the men) should be kept in prisons with only water and plump helmets to survive.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28978 on: May 01, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »

Time for an Amazon fortress. Men are only used for breeding stock, most "unfit" men should be killed outright, and they (the men) should be kept in prisons with only water and plump helmets to survive.
(Can't believe Im saying this) You could kill them all actually, then your amazons or valkyries wont produce much offspring which will put the babies at risk.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28979 on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »

(Can't believe Im saying this) You could kill them all actually, then your amazons or valkyries wont produce much offspring which will put the babies at risk.

Yeah you could kill them all, keeping the population fed on migrants.
Pages: 1 ... 1930 1931 [1932] 1933 1934 ... 3836