Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1950 1951 [1952] 1953 1954 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863323 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29265 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:51 pm »

Had two artifacts, one secretive woodcrafting, one possessed bonecrafting. Both were children. Both children were eventually kidnapped, with another being murdered.

Half a year later, a migrant wave brings the population from 20 to 84. This has got to be the biggest goddamn migrant wave I've ever seen. In addition to filling a few empty roles, I've also been able to fully constitute one squad, and half-fill two others, and I don't even have any kind of equipment production yet.

EDIT: Just finished the pump system to set up the magma furnaces. Even better, I set it up to be able to switch between un-pressurized magma flow(Safe Mode) and pressurized magma flow(Fuck The World mode). However, while running it, one of the floodgates used to control the entire flow broke away, then melted. Considering this was a basalt(which is magma-safe) floodgate, this leaves me a bit confused. Didn't break the flow controls any, but I'm still a bit worried about it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:22:35 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29266 on: May 19, 2013, 09:37:23 pm »

Had two artifacts, one secretive woodcrafting, one possessed bonecrafting. Both were children. Both children were eventually kidnapped, with another being murdered.

I know children aren't very popular in DF, but I always rage a bit when one of mine gets nabbed  >:(.

Half a year later, a migrant wave brings the population from 20 to 84. This has got to be the biggest goddamn migrant wave I've ever seen. In addition to filling a few empty roles, I've also been able to fully constitute one squad, and half-fill two others, and I don't even have any kind of equipment production yet.

Hah, those can be awesome... when you're prepared for them.  When I first started playing, I was thinking, "oh... it would be great to get more than just 2-4 migrants at a time."  Then BAM! Over 50 of them!  I was totally caught off-guard and barely had the infrastructure up for  a quarter of that number.  Fun times ;).

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29267 on: May 19, 2013, 09:48:23 pm »

Coincedentally, a possessed dwarf in my "migrant" subfort just made a legendary Yak Bone Buckler. I hope to give it to the head of their military, whenever they get around to forming a military. Since they're migrants, they can't ask for much, but I guess they can still have a few fancy things.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29268 on: May 19, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »

Relicshield, Summer of 267

After seeing the latest sartorial trends of the humans and elves, Duke Phyllite swore that Relicshield would not only become the new Mountainhome, but also the fashion capital of the world!  To that end, he decreed that all clothing with even the slightest bit of wear be thrown out.  All industries in the fortress came to a screeching halt as cabinets and coffers were emptied and thousands upon thousands of threadbare clothes, socks, and rags that somehow passed for shirts, were thrown out.  Known as The Great Purging, only time will tell if Duke Phyllite will realize his ultimate goal...

(I finally got around to using DFHack's cleanowned function.  16 years worth of clothes is a LOT.  It took forever for the dwarves to get rid of all that stuff!)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29269 on: May 20, 2013, 05:24:03 am »

Had my first major uncontrolled infection.  Hind portion of a caravan got hot by a cloud, and I sent some marksdwarved to handle the unquestionably slower ash zombies.  Unlike murdered reanimations, which are fast and aggressive, and spawned undead, which are slower than a dwarf, the ash zombies are so slow they are almost benign.  Except the civies still.run, and and punctures of the skin lead to infection.

Anywho a few marksmen forgot bolts and one still had his obsidian short sword for some reason. The fresh dead got up and turned the fight. I disbanded the routed squad for one survivor.

This aside and being rather new to evil weather I wonder if my experience is normal?  slow cloud zombies and mostly free reign above ground so long as caution is used?

Well, I had huge swathes of my embark rendered deadly to anything that had blood. A single brush with a cloud was instant death; the hardier of foes would die a few seconds after the cloud passed. 

A dwarf who had walked through the ash decided that he should take his shoes off in the MAIN STAIRWAY, so after 48 dwarves came down with full body blistering leading to death after a season, where the hardiest dwarves still died eventually, I had to seal off the stairway, produce a shit tonne more boots/socks and build a new stairway. Of course, it meant that I had no opposition; sieges would appear and disappear as a cloud passed over them rendering them unidentifiable blobs of once-were-goblin.

That was a SINGLE UNIT OF ASH. It was probably a grain sized thing, but it infected 48 and killed 46 in a season. Somehow, I survived without a tantrum spiral, though one dying dwarf berserked, cut a butcher's arm off and threw it on top of his workshop before expiring in a puddle of blood and burst blisters. Quarantining that shit was nasty.

In other news, my current fort is running perilously close to running out of food, despite the farms operating at 100% usage and two fisheries processing mussels and other fish/shellfish as quick as they come in. We've had five deep drow assassins attack, but they were all captured.

Shook awoke from his/her coma and promptly donned the new scaleplate armor I sent to the barracks for him and BrokenUWrist. Seconds later, a dwarf went berserk and killed two kittens. Shook and UWrist took him down in a matter of seconds.

Miauw is studying to become a Life Mage down in the deeps of the fort.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29270 on: May 20, 2013, 05:39:09 am »

Figured out why my floodgate broke. Somehow managed to put in a cobaltite mechanism, which is strange since I don't remember ever making a cobaltite mechanism.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29271 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:32 am »

The foundation of Inkglade, after several unsuccessful expeditions in other parts of the world undertaken in the past week, has met with some seeming success.

A conga of badgers passed by leaving no one harmed or even disturbed, and both malachite and magnetite have been discovered excavating our workshop spaces, embedded within the thick layer of limestone. Unfortunately, no coal has been located, and it seems likely we won't find any, either. Fortunately, we live in a very thickly wooded landscape, so a charcoal economy is viable, if inefficient, and we can likely drill down to the magma chamber for fuel, though this Overseer has never undertaken such a task before.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29272 on: May 20, 2013, 10:20:37 am »

Relicshield, pop. 75, Mid-Autumn of 268

Trade with the humans had barely had a chance to recover before the goblins conducted a massive, coordinated ambush.  Even though the defenders of Relicshield did their best, one of the wagons was destroyed and the humans fled for the hills rather than the safety of the fortress.  The melee troops had the support of several new marksdwarves shooting from recently constructed ramparts.  Edem II, eager for revenge, was right in the middle of the battle when he came up against a particularly fearsome goblin armed with a silver mace.  The fourteen year old member of Relicshield's army did his best, but he found himself outclassed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His sister, Goden II, watched over him while help was on the way, but things looked grim. 

This was by far the toughest challenge yet for the medical staff of Relicshield.  To make matters even worse, the soap supplies had dwindled to nothing without anyone noticing!  Edem II's wounds were cleaned with fresh well water, but he still got several infections.   All four medics of the fortress tended to him night and day, with help from the medically experienced metalsmith who carried him from the field of battle. 

After a month and a half, Edem II was released from the hospital, a little worse for wear, but still ready for combat training, cast & crutches be d@mned! 

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29273 on: May 20, 2013, 01:28:13 pm »

That was because my expedition leader / miner was visiting the magma forges at just that time. One hit with a pick and the condor was unable to fly due to a damaged right wing. Then a bunch of ordinary freshly drafted dwarves (I drafted everyone because I was ready to go out in style) jumped on the immobile bird and began to punch and strangle and wrestle it. The condor managed to tear someone's artery to make him bleed to death in a few seconds, but apart from that it landed maybe three or four hits total. In the end the heroic expedition leader had enough mercy to deliver the last fatal blow to the surprisingly weak megabird.

That's pretty epic!  Any syndrome problems later?

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29274 on: May 20, 2013, 02:29:49 pm »

Standart fort .
Everything goes well, struck some platinium, rock crystal, magnetite and some more ores. Began to forge some iron weapons, armours etc.
I dig some primitive cistern - and 7 of my 16 dorfs died from dehydration during my first winter and i have no idea why ....
And of course some of those dead were lovers to those who survived so i think im in for some FUN/tantrum spiral ....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:33:00 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29275 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:46 pm »

Burrows.
If they cannot get there they will not drink.

Drinking zones.
Helps but without them they'd go outside to a place of their choosing.

(o)rders and (Z)one settings.
controls whether they will only drink from designated zones.

A well? 
I always seem to forget to remove the slopes under my well, limited or preventing use.

Is the cistern clean?  Sea water or something?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hitti-Litti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29276 on: May 20, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »

That was because my expedition leader / miner was visiting the magma forges at just that time. One hit with a pick and the condor was unable to fly due to a damaged right wing. Then a bunch of ordinary freshly drafted dwarves (I drafted everyone because I was ready to go out in style) jumped on the immobile bird and began to punch and strangle and wrestle it. The condor managed to tear someone's artery to make him bleed to death in a few seconds, but apart from that it landed maybe three or four hits total. In the end the heroic expedition leader had enough mercy to deliver the last fatal blow to the surprisingly weak megabird.

That's pretty epic!  Any syndrome problems later?
Nope, all the dwarves that got their share of the 'noxious secretion' went to rest for a while but were just fine after that. I guess the noxiousness was just that it was some sort of a boiling extract, luckily it wasn't toxic in any way.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29277 on: May 20, 2013, 02:44:00 pm »

Burrows.
If they cannot get there they will not drink.

Drinking zones.
Helps but without them they'd go outside to a place of their choosing.

(o)rders and (Z)one settings.
controls whether they will only drink from designated zones.

A well? 
I always seem to forget to remove the slopes under my well, limited or preventing use.

Is the cistern clean?  Sea water or something?
Well..that "cistern" is such a strong word for my creation ...
It was a simple combination of channels, breaching a lake wall and simply letting the water flow to the prepared 4x10 digged hole .... lol . The thing is : it worked through the whole year and in winter WATER WASN'T FROZEN ( INB4 anyone asking ) and somehow my dorfs refused to drink it ...
But ok, Spring is finally here and ofcoz "Losing is fun" :]
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29278 on: May 20, 2013, 02:58:50 pm »

Salt water, possibly?  I've noticed on some maps that salt water can still be present even if your embark site is close, but not directly adjacent to the ocean.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29279 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »

Salt water, possibly?  I've noticed on some maps that salt water can still be present even if your embark site is close, but not directly adjacent to the ocean.
Well they did drink it during summer and spring ... And embark site i smack right in the middle of continent.
Little update : holy crap .... i just got 21 migrants ..... epic FUN incoming <3
And following them : legendary beast.............
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:16:22 pm by Lossmar »
Pages: 1 ... 1950 1951 [1952] 1953 1954 ... 3836