Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 [1955] 1956 1957 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841632 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29310 on: May 22, 2013, 10:45:01 am »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29311 on: May 22, 2013, 11:16:37 am »

First non-child artifact, a one-humped camel leather trousers.

I got all excited when a strange mood finally happened to one of my metalsmiths.  Then he created Sourford, a pig iron chain.  My mood was sour for sure.

It had killed 48 dwarves and had been given the badass name of "Steeldeath". Someone finally got a lucky strike on her head and killed it. The fortress eventually fell after the following T-spiral.

Ouch.  I used to think kangaroos were cute, until I saw some vid of a guy almost gettting disemboweled by one :o.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29312 on: May 22, 2013, 05:57:08 pm »

Well this is a first. During a wave of migrants packed full of traders (had to use DFHack fixmigrant to get them moving) I got a migrant who was running around babbling. A quick check of legends revealed that she was a former outpost liaison who visited a few years prior. No indication of why she decided to immigrate here, but she arrived insane somehow.

I think she was our liaison who was here for almost 2 years before finally leaving with a trade agreement, and went insane just before she left the area. Maybe that was caused by the mayor being the very popular marksdwarf who bludgeoned the ettin to death I have mentioned previously.

Oh, and one of the migrants ALSO took part in a historical battle apparently, due to him having competent skill in Military Tactics.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:00:33 pm by Lich180 »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29313 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00:54 pm »

Finally got the migrant laborers to start making a nice tower for the upper class dwarves. They've also provided some raw stone, which is helpful since the majesty group hasn't breached the aquifer yet. In return for their labors, my trader just secured an anvil for them, so that they can start replicating some metal bars. They might even get basic defenses one day...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29314 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:16 pm »

Embarked in my Merlock world for the first time.  I choose a small civilization, one that was beaten within an inch of its life by the Merlocks in a war that ended three years ago (148, because my stupid computer refuses to gen long worlds).

With a mostly standard crew  we set out to repopulate the mountain, picking a cold site with high wood counts, shallow metals and large creatures.  The brook is important too.

I hope I didn't bring this anvil along for naught.  I typically buy one in the fall, especially one a region so peaceful as untamed mountains/taiga.  Also I hope this farming mod doesn't get me either.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29315 on: May 22, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »

Military in Swordgleams suffered a large setback - essentially back to zero.  However, they died bravely defending the fortress.

Snatchers hit the cage traps in the late summer.  Right as a few workers were clearing the cages a goblin ambush team popped up.  The workers got clear with a few running out the far gate.  (More on them later.)  Since the remaining traps were not going to be sufficient for the goblins and the gate would not be sealed in time the militia squad was sent for.  With the most recent migrant wave a third competent sword dwarf was added to the squad and also given bronze armor.

The squad sallied forth to confront mace goblins led by a lasher.  The lasher ended up in the last cage trap before the main gate.  The melee with the rest of the goblins had mixed results.  The goblins went down, but the sword squad took casualties.  The most recently added member was killed, and one of the others was carried off to the hospital with a broken arm.  That left just the fortress militia commander as the only sound military member with armor and weapons.

The gates were ordered sealed to allow for the cages to be cleared and some other work to be done without interruption.

This was done before the two workers who had fled could get back in.  And since one camped right under the gate it could not be reopened with making dwarf pancake.  So a wall section was taken out in a nearby ditch allowing a temporary entrance.  Which, of course, did not work out.

One of the workers started around the ditch to reach the temporary entrance - and met another goblin squad.  Hammer goblins this time.  And did I mention that this dwarf was the newly appointed captain of the guard?  (Due to being an elite marksdwarf)  But unarmed and unarmored due to the squad not being formed up yet.  The dwarf leads the goblins on a merry chase and is combat skilled enough to give them a hard time even though they are armored and he is not. 

While this is going on a group of novice marksdwarves are gathered, given the limited number of crossbows, and sent onto the perimeter wall in an attempt to help out.  By the time the Captain of the Guard is pounded down and the second dwarf outside the walls chased down and killed they have actually managed to kill or wound three of the seven goblins.

The remaining four goblins are somewhat scattered, so the militia commander goes out to hopefully get them piecemeal before they regather and head in through the ditch entrance as a group.  The commander dispatches two before the last two attack him as a pair.  He cripples one, who limps off, but the other knocks down the militia commander and then kills him. 

While debating whether to send out the unarmored marksdwarves to take on the lone lurking goblin a sword dwarf suddenly appears and decapitates the goblin.

The previously wounded sword dwarf had been patched up (sutures, dressing, splint) and then sortied out with his fractured arm.

Corpses and equipment have been recovered, and the four dead dwarves have been given temporary burial until a more fitting resting place is prepared.

Training will have to begin anew with some fresh recruits.  Hopefully the next caravan will come in time and have enough armor and weapons to equip a squad better.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29316 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:15 pm »

While debating whether to send out the unarmored marksdwarves to take on the lone lurking goblin a sword dwarf suddenly appears and decapitates the goblin.

The previously wounded sword dwarf had been patched up (sutures, dressing, splint) and then sortied out with his fractured arm.

Definitely a candidate for the Hall of Heroes if you ever create one :D!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29317 on: May 22, 2013, 11:50:50 pm »

My newest fort is in a terrifying (non-reanimating) warm forest of some kind, and the mindless husks of migrants and their livestock roam the overworld.  Desperately short of wood, I used our last few logs to forge basic iron gear for my two axedwarves (they've spent a year and a half now training with wooden axes), and we took the first cavern for its trees.  We gained over 100 logs (and lots of cave plants) at the cost of one or two civilians, and my militia commander.  The commander was eaten by a cave crocodile.  His squadmate kicked the beast's teeth out (and boy, do crocodiles have a lot of teeth!) and it retreated into the water.  All in all, the cost was bearable and the wood may save us.

The grand entrance is fully constructed now, and the wood will allow us to build the cages our mechanics have been waiting for to load the cage traps.  Just now, an elven caravan arrived and we managed to smuggle them into the fort through a secret hatch cover without letting any husks in.  (This is the second caravan.  Our first elf caravan was huskified and returned to the forest, no doubt much to the surprise of their former comrades.)  Following them was a goblin siege composed almost entirely of swordgoblins.  If luck is with us, the goblins may finish off the husks and clear the surface for us.  That way I won't have to worry about dwarf husks that are trap-avoiding!

Once the surface is safe, we need to cut down trees so that caravan wagons can get to our gate, and build bridges over the rivers so that visitors can reach us no matter where they enter the map.  Our dwarves are resilient and aren't going to let a few unspeakable horrors ruin their day.  The mighty work goes on.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29318 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:28 am »

A were-moose showed up at Eaglemansions. It's eyes glow yellow and it is crazed for blood and flesh!
And water, apparently, because it promptly jumped into a pond, transformed into a human,  then drowned. Oh well, back to work.

Will dwarves risk turning into weremoose if they drink from the pond?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29319 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:00 am »

Nope, only bites can transfer the were-curse.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29320 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:12 am »

Lol, silly moose!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29321 on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:00 am »

A were-moose showed up at Eaglemansions. It's eyes glow yellow and it is crazed for blood and flesh!
And water, apparently, because it promptly jumped into a pond, transformed into a human,  then drowned. Oh well, back to work.

Will dwarves risk turning into weremoose if they drink from the pond?

That human deserves an honorary URIST award.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29322 on: May 23, 2013, 11:46:39 am »

Relicshield, pop. 78, Late Winter of 269 (Year 18)

8 citizens faced justice for defying Duke Phyllite's mandate forbidding the sale of all bolts (oops).  With only 7 (very posh) jail cells available, justice was also served with fists. Shorast Cavegrove, a speardwarf, thought she was relatively safe, since she was still in her armor when the sheriff marched up to her, but he then gave her compound fracture in her left hand :(.  Meanwhile, Lokum Letterplait, Relicshield's 2nd best weaponsmith, refused to drink or eat due to being separated from her newborn baby.  Thankfully, Sheriff Urdim Glowsmith was in a merciful mood when he released her from the cell.  She suffered some bruises, then brushed herself off and went looking for her child. 

Meanwhile, the general malaise that seemed to slow time itself has finally been lifted (Thank you DFHack "clean all" function! Goodbye 80 fps and hello 100!).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:51:48 am by VerdantSF »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29323 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:23 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 78, Late Winter of 269 (Year 18)

8 citizens faced justice for defying Duke Phyllite's mandate forbidding the sale of all bolts (oops).  With only 7 (very posh) jail cells available, justice was also served with fists. Shorast Cavegrove, a speardwarf, thought she was relatively safe, since she was still in her armor when the sheriff marched up to her, but he then gave her compound fracture in her left hand :(.  Meanwhile, Lokum Letterplait, Relicshield's 2nd best weaponsmith, refused to drink or eat due to being separated from her newborn baby.  Thankfully, Sheriff Urdim Glowsmith was in a merciful mood when he released her from the cell.  She suffered some bruises, then brushed herself off and went looking for her child. 

Meanwhile, the general malaise that seemed to slow time itself has finally been lifted (Thank you DFHack "clean all" function! Goodbye 80 fps and hello 100!).

Year 18 with 80 FPS? I hate you soooooo bad. After year five my fortresses become unplayable, clean all doesn't help. I have to go straight to autodump- destroy

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29324 on: May 23, 2013, 01:22:43 pm »

Rackcloaks - 14th Galena, year 510 of our Lord Armok

Siege Operators were relieved of duty due to desertion of post after spotting a terror inducing gander during a siege.

They have instead volunteered to be assigned to burrows and serve as an early ambush detection system in the third caverns, thwarting any troglodyte and floating brain attempts to catch the ever-useful garbage haulers off guard.

Such brave souls.
Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 [1955] 1956 1957 ... 3836