Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1954 1955 [1956] 1957 1958 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855326 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29325 on: May 23, 2013, 01:36:20 pm »

Siege Operators were relieved of duty due to desertion of post after spotting a terror inducing gander during a siege.

Geese are scarier than they look!  I learned that the hard way as a kid when one attacked me for the bread in my hand and bit my toe!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29326 on: May 23, 2013, 01:47:29 pm »

Meanwhile, the general malaise that seemed to slow time itself has finally been lifted (Thank you DFHack "clean all" function! Goodbye 80 fps and hello 100!).

Year 18 with 80 FPS? I hate you soooooo bad. After year five my fortresses become unplayable, clean all doesn't help. I have to go straight to autodump- destroy

To be fair, there are high traffic lanes throughout my fortress, unused areas are sealed off, food and booze production is limited to what's necessary, and goblinite is mostly sent to the atom smasher.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29327 on: May 23, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

experimental, no-migrants, isoltated island fort #10-or-so succeded in being destroyed in it's first winter by an aqatic crab_people civ siege (basically miniature-giant, sea-desert, crab-scorpions) - the extensive hackery required to prevent the hard-coded first two migrant waves makes it a tedious work-around to repeat for so many tests.

waves look like more trouble then they would be worth to figure out how to implement though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29328 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »

First non-child artifact, a one-humped camel leather trousers.

I got all excited when a strange mood finally happened to one of my metalsmiths.  Then he created Sourford, a pig iron chain.  My mood was sour for sure.
A legendary leatherworker is nice, though.

...But unfortunately, it turns out he was killed during the ambush. All the artifact-makers(minus one or two) in this fort seem cursed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29329 on: May 23, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »

Quakeswallowed is moving into its second phase, which is all part of the greater "Wait for a Vampire" plan. Both the Migrant Fort and Majesty Fort have plump helmets, pig tails, lumber, and anvils. There are also drop-chutes to connect the forts, though I haven't needed to use them yet.
The Majesty Fort boasts a livestock spread, a variety of booze, a banquet of food from across the crops, decent bedrooms, a main control room, and a pair of well trained guards.
The Migrant Fort. Yea. It has a few pigs, some booze, some fish and berries, a crowded bedroom, no defenses, and a few bronze spikes laying around. Guess which fort is about to get three roughneck squads!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29330 on: May 24, 2013, 02:07:22 am »

Relicshield, pop. 79, Mid-Spring of 271

The fortress celebrates its 2nd decade expanding the frontiers of dwarven civilization.  The devastating goblin ambush on the human caravan in 268 hasn't been repeated, in large part due to the heavy patrols that now monitor the southeast at all times. It was feared that the grievous human losses would be blamed on Relicshield and reignite The Conflict of Infernos (I love the Legends viewer).  However, cooler heads prevailed among the humans this time, no doubt helped along by their decisive defeat during that short-lived war.

Meanwhile, the cave-in trap was tested successfully and now awaits any trolls or larger beasts who can't resist the temptation of toppling a lone pillar. Miners have also begun delving into the underground in earnest, though so far no caverns have been found.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:17:27 am by VerdantSF »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29331 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:12 am »

Started digging out the tomb area, and the first casualties have been given a proper burial. Next step is to dig out the main residential area and get the dwarves into proper rooms. The main dormitory sections they live in now will be converted into barracks for the military.

Armoring the army proceeds at a decent pace. We have mail shirts for about half the troops, anyway.

Now more goblin attacks so far, save for a few snatchers, several of whom are in cages, stripped naked, and awaiting a suitable execution.

The elves came by. They had with them about 100 logs, several bins of cloth, and about 5 or 6 stacks of plants, and nothing else.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29332 on: May 24, 2013, 10:46:34 am »

OH MY GOD LOOK AT MY FORTRESS NAME

One Ring to rule them all

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29333 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:15 am »

Did you happen to embark next to a volcano? Better yet, a volcano named Mordor?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29334 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:54 am »

Just beware the hobbits kobolds visiting.

Had my first actual goblin siege in this fort, sadly it was only 11 speargoblins. My marksdwarves killed 2 and crippled the rest for the melee troops to clear up.

Working on getting enough armor and weapons made to start a few new squads, 22 out of 110 isn't the proportion of military to civilian I'm happy with :P

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29335 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:14 am »

After two years of training, I decided my axedwarf squad was ready to try battling an accursed dust husk.  Not the whole accursed horde, mind you, just the one husk bunnny standing between the human caravan and the door.  I opened the door and my three iron-clad axedwarves charged at the non-living, non-dead doe rabbit child accursed dust thing.  They chopped and hacked as the humans came in and unloaded their goods (let's hope they remember the heroism of the dwarves). 

As it appeared that the husk would not go down quickly, one of the axedwarves (Iden) got distracted with a dwarf child husk and gave it chase, all the way out of the fort into the broad daylight in view of the other meandering husks.  Well, we couldn't close the gate now!  But still the bunny fought on.

Iden battled the dwarf child husk for many long days and weeks.  He was wounded in the leg, hungry, tired, thirsty, miserable, unable to retreat, but by some unimaginable luck he prevailed and beheaded the creature who was once one of our own.  But, exhausted, he would not come back to the fort.

Relentlessly the bunny husk battled the other two axedwarves.  The battle spilled into the fort, raging into our vast underground tree farm.  Lest the situation get any worse, we sealed the door, locking Iden out to his doom.

Days passed.  The humans wanted to leave, and nothing was stopping the bunny.  So I ordered the emergency door thrown open.  Iden was rescued and brought to the hospital; fortunately, no other husks pursued his rescuer through the open door.

Our two axedwarves were getting tired, but could not strike the killing blow.  The bunny was indefatigable.  I ordered the forging of new arms and armor, and outfitted a second squad of three swordsdwarves to relieve the axe squad.  The battle raged.

Iden recuperated at the hospital, picked up his arms, and chased the fight with renewed vigor.  Our three multi-colored recruits turned blue as they became recognized as swordsdwarves.  More equipment was forged, and two new squads (one of axes, one of swords) were organized.  The dwarven caravan came and went.

Winter has closed in around us.  Twelve warriors have gone from novices to competent and professional veterans, and yet they continue to bring ceaseless battle to a single bunny husk.  Limbless, brainless, toothless, gutsless, the creature attacks any way it can (usually by "pushing").

OOC: Seriously these events took 2 hours or more in real-life time, and I had to stop for sleep.  I'm really not sure what to do at this point.  I'm starting to worry that the bunny simply cannot be killed... maybe it's too small for bisection, or the game doesn't recognize it as having a neck for decapitation.  Certainly the dwarf child husk (which must have been bigger and stronger) went down much more easily and quickly.  The fight has roamed all over our tree farm (which is huge) and hasn't spilled into the fortress proper.  My current plan is to let them fight until all the soldiers are legendary, and then if the beast is still alive, try to wall it off somehow and get the soldiers out.  I assume cage traps won't work because it's a former domesticated animal from a migrant, but maybe if I catch a giant cave spider during the next few seasons...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29336 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:50 am »

Working on getting enough armor and weapons made to start a few new squads, 22 out of 110 isn't the proportion of military to civilian I'm happy with :P

What percentage is more your style?  I'm generally happy with around 33% military.

which is all part of the greater "Wait for a Vampire" plan.

What's your overarching plan for the vampire?

Haha, niiiiiice.

My current plan is to let them fight until all the soldiers are legendary, and then if the beast is still alive, try to wall it off somehow and get the soldiers out.

Good plan.  You've got a super training tool now!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:21:52 am by VerdantSF »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29337 on: May 24, 2013, 11:27:17 am »

What percentage is more your style?  I'm generally happy with around 33% military.
/quote]

My current fort is having no issues with 12 / 155 military. Sure, we get an injury or two - our MCom is brain damaged and his second in command has a broken wrist, but even with the new monsters that Masterwork brings we've not had that much of an issue.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29338 on: May 24, 2013, 11:44:38 am »

-snip-

Right now I'm only at 20% military, and although they are totally undefeated so far I don't want to leave it to chance. I'm not using any traps except to (hopefully) catch GCS and cave crocs from the caverns, so any invaders have to be dealt with by troops. Haven't gotten around to issuing everyone crossbows, but I doubt I'll need to do that. Nothing very dangerous here, I don't think the area of evil ocean reanimates anything, I don't have undead whales flopping out of the waves, but I have spotted an occasional sea monster.

Plus I'm trying to force myself to get used to heavily militarized forts, as practice for the more dangerous areas I like to attempt to settle. Kind of using this fort as a practice run for trying out stuff I haven't gotten used to yet. Like using charcoal instead of magma or coke, sealing map edges with raised bridges to force spawns in certain areas, and forcing happy thoughts into my dwarves heads.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29339 on: May 24, 2013, 12:29:19 pm »

My current plan is to let them fight until all the soldiers are legendary, and then if the beast is still alive, try to wall it off somehow and get the soldiers out.

Good plan.  You've got a super training tool now!
Yeah, and I can make new husks anytime I want by pasturing farm animals out in the weather.  It works even better for blunt weapons... since a hammerdwarf or macedwarf cannot bisect or decapitate anything, he can fight a husk forever.  I watched one of the caravan guards train himself to be a Hammer Lord by playing croquet with a raven husk in the first year.

I wonder... can a local animal be cage-trapped if it's knocked off its feet onto the trap?  My axedwarves and swordsdwarves are constantly sending the bunny husk flying.
Pages: 1 ... 1954 1955 [1956] 1957 1958 ... 3836