Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1957 1958 [1959] 1960 1961 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853633 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29370 on: May 26, 2013, 03:56:16 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 82, Early Winter of 275 (Year 24)

Solon Mountainaction was a migrant who came to the fortress in 268. After years of writing to his mother and father, he finally convinced them to migrate to Relicshield.  Unfortunately, Solon's parents and two traveling companions were ambushed by goblin bowmen on the outskirts of the fortress.  Olivine's elite squad raced to save them, but the hail of arrows quickly cut down three of the dwarves.  Id Pagedclaw, Solon's mother had fallen and was being pelted with arrows when Olivine and crew descended on the goblins.  A cyclone of blood and gore enveloped the goblin party, ending their assault.  Id was taken to the hospital, though few thought she would survive.  Her injuries made even those suffered by Edem II pale in comparison.  However, Solon's mother beat the odds and joined the military immediately after her medical care was complete. 

Meanwhile, Kogan Dashedbasment the speardwarf was forgotten after she fell into a strange mood.  It was assumed she had found all she needed, but that was proven a deadly mistake when she went on a rampage.  She slew a war grizzly then went after Mafol the Dyer with her fell spear known to all as Ozorvumshar, aptly translated as "Subtlegloomy."  An off-duty marksdwarf, Nil Orbgroup, was nearby at the quern.  He shot Kogan in the right shoulder hard enough to knock Subtlegloomy from her grasp, but the crazed dwarf was undeterred.  She pounced on the poor dyer, biting, punching, and bludgeoning with her shield :(

Olivine's elite squad, which Kogan was a member of, stormed through the fortress to put an end to the carnage.  Asmel Twinklebasements was the first on the scene, wielding his legendary spear Lirvesh, "The Climactic Dusts."  Though the two speardwarves were battle comrades, Asmel did not hesitate.  He went straight for her head, stabbing her twice and ending the chaos.  The accursed spear Subtlegloomy was marked for complete destruction, never again to draw blood of dwarf or otherwise.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29371 on: May 26, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »

well, my legendary engraver just died. a stupid noble that i forgot to please sentenced him to 107 days in prison. no dwarf was apparantly smart enough to realize that prisoners need food and water.

not a great loss, since i have 3 other legendary engravers, but it's annoying nonetheless.

i think the most hilarious thing about this is that i realized he's about to die of thirst, freed him, and saw him collapse midway between my booze area.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29372 on: May 26, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »

For a dwarf to die of thirst in sight of booze... truly a terrible fate!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29373 on: May 26, 2013, 06:24:34 pm »

a Kea attacked and managed to kill a wagon, forcing the merchants to leave.
Why am I not surprised by this at all?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29374 on: May 26, 2013, 08:19:50 pm »

Quakeswallowed has attracted no migrants for the last two seasons. That's because the Migrant Fort kept got wiped by sieges and ambushes. The Migrant Fort was hit by the big wipe due to a tantrumming legendary tanner. I was able to lock 4 tantrumming dwarves outside via raisedbridge and doors, but the angry Tanner busted the bridge real good on his way out as a big "screw you" to the Migrant Fort. Then the seige arrived with trolls and goblin squads... Seriously, he was pathing back into the fort, then he was stopped by the raised bridge, then he threw a tantrum, then the bridge was no more.
At some point, a migrant child got into the Noble Fort. When his parents died, he went berserk on the Noble Fort's armorer. A migrant wife was miserable because a forgotten beast was eating her family. So I sent her to suicide on the beast, but forgot to forbid her corpse. Later I realize that the noble fort dwarves were pathing down to the beast for her corpse...
Ghosts just amputated the limbs off the mayor and the mason in a single week. There are ~20 dogs and ~20 cats clogging the hallways of the Noble Fort, which while helpful for leather and the occasional macegoblin, are completely dragging traffic to a halt. Somehow we ended up with six horses that nom all the grass. When we take them to butcher then they spew miasma and anger the nobles. But the 8 adults have stablized everything because I sealed the fort with raised bridge hax. We have enough horse meat and dog meat to last a while, and when the booze runs out we still have an aquifer. Rin, a starting peasant, is now an expert axedwarf/fighter and competent shielduser/dodger/teacher who has named himself after stomping some macegobs and halting a kobold ambush (which was discovered by cats). The current mayor loves coffins, which is a good thing.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #29375 on: May 26, 2013, 09:33:12 pm »

Tamed a captured Giant Bat.  Released it to my pasture. watched my army reduce it to a glob of fat.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29376 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:38 am »

Relicshield, pop. 79, Mid-Winter of 275 (Year 24)

Momuz Paintworks had just turned 12 and joined the military as a budding axedwarf.  Unfortunately, the giant Etog Searchtorch decided to attack the fortress on that very day. The teen dwarf stood his ground as the massive enemy's footsteps shook the very earth.  Momuz swung his axe, but missed and received a fist the size of a boulder in return.  The blow was powerful enough to lift the dwarf off his feet and he sailed several yards through the air to land in a heap.  At that moment, the legendary swordsdwarf, Meng Roughwhips arrived and  promptly slashed the giant in the back of the head.  The attack knocked the giant unconscious, and in three more cuts, Etog Searchtorch was no more. Sadly, the giant's single strike broke Momuz's upper spine.  He lost the ability to breathe and died soon after :(.

Later that same winter, the goblins sieged Relicshield, but they sorely underestimated the dwarves.  The single goblin strike team was mostly destroyed, with the survivors scattered to the four winds.

Newlywed Olon II fell into a strange mood and created Zunekral Avog, The Sour Silver of Dredging, a white stork bone shield.  The artifact was immediately given to Commander Sphalerite, and none to soon!

The Forgotten Beast Lerdi Eslulost has come!  A great cardinal with external ribs.  It has a curling trunk and it has a bloated body.  Beware its webs!

Unlike the first Forgotten Beast, there was no time to use the cave-in trap.  Lerdi was bearing down on the civilians working on the cavern wall project.  Armed with his new shield, Sphalerite rushed at the beast, trying to buy time for the workers to flee to safety.  But no, Lerdi would not let them escape so easily!  The spewed a mass of sticky filaments that covered all nearby.  Several civilians were caught, unable to break free.  Sphalerite, stronger than the average dwarf, ripped and slashed at the webs covering him, then attacked.  More webs covered him and he was pinned to the ground as the beast attacked.

With the alarm sounded, more soldiers soon joined the battle.  The axedwarf Goden II, older sister of Edem II, managed to maneuver behind Lerdi and began to hack into its exposed back.  With the other soldiers keeping it busy, Goden II managed to cut the beast completely in two!  The foul creature spurted its last web, then fell to the ground.  The only injuries were a broken hip for Commander Sphalerite and a broken ankle for Lokum the Metalsmith.

Mid-Autumn of 276

After the battle with Lerdi, the project to seal off the cavern continued with few interruptions. A giant earthworm, gorlak, olm, and several dralthas were slain when they ventured too close to the workers.  A giant cave spider snared one soldier and tried to bite his head off, but the late Selenite's steel armor blocked every attack (phew). 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the death of the spider, the first of the fabled trio of caverns was brought completely under the control of Relicshield!  It is rumored that jabberers dwell in the caverns below this one.  Preparations are being made to delve further...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:26:22 am by VerdantSF »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29377 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:34 am »

Year 3 has ended in Swordgleams.

The seventy-odd dwarves started the year well.  An archery bunker was completed north of the main complex and then a large walled pasture built beside it and the newly dug North Gate.  Once the wall was complete the rhinoceroses captured in the first year were trained and pastured there with an adjacent training area in case they decide to start going wild again.

The power generator (aquifer based) was started up and is now powering a millstone in the kitchen and a mist generator down by the main dining hall entrance.  A lot of recent work has gone into getting the residence blocks carved out and furnished, as well as providing sufficient tables for the dining hall.

The first mayor was put out of office and a replacement elected.  No more requests for flood gates!

Migrants arrived in mid-summer taking the population over eighty.  At this point the militia is expanded to thirty-two dwarves.  Twenty melee dwarves split over five squads by weapon and a dozen marksdwarves split over two squads.  There is still a shortage of armor and weapons, but the marksdwarves have a large stockpile of wooden bolts to work with. 

The migrants were followed by a goblin siege.  One squad and the the resulting attack had no fatal casualties.  The goblin leader was wounded on the approach and promptly led his squad off in a hail of crossbow bolts from the wall.  A few goblins wounded and a few dropped weapons to be picked up.

More migrants in the fall bring the population to ninety-nine dwarves with almost twenty being children or babies.  The fortress is given barony status and one of the founders is made baron and given extravagent quarters to live in.  While this is going on a minotaur attacks, but is caught in a cage trap. 

And the female rhino gives birth to three calves.  Who already have -trained- status.  :)

The trade caravan brings in some iron ore, which is immediately converted to steel for additional weapons to supplement the copper and bronze currently in use.  More bronze is made as well to be used for more armor.

And, on queue, the goblins arrive in greater force in the late winter.  Two full squads of cavalry (spear and bow) who come in from both sides of the south courtyard while the marksdwarves man the archery galleries.  Things being well with the goblin mounts and the half-squad of trolls taking the brunt of the damage from the scattering of traps and crossbow fire.  Then, for some reason, one of the marksdwarf squads breaks from the gallery and goes out the gate to melee fight.  The slackening fire on that side allows the axe lord leader of a goblin squad to reach the gate.

At this point the two fully equipped melee squads (long sword and axe) are rushed from their ready position to defend the gate.  By the time they get there the marksdwarf squad has been exchanging fire in the open with bow goblins and then been rushed by the axe lord.  Two dwarves die and two are wounded and fall into the fort's own cage traps.  (Which probably saved their lives from the rampaging axe goblin.)  The last cage trap in the gate entrance snares the axe lord.

The melee troops rush out into the courtyard and carry the fight to the remaining goblins.  An axe dwarf is wounded by an arrow to the knee, but otherwise the melee dwarves are victorious, including the militia commander winning a one-on-one duel with the goblin lasher commanding one of the goblin squads.

The wounded are carried down to the hospital and treated.  All three have leg wounds, but treatment goes well and it appears they will heal cleanly.  The two dead are carried down to the catacomb and interred.*

The rest of the year is spent collecting and disposing of corpses and equipment.

*- Burial practice in Swordgleams is a bit complex.  The body is placed in a coffin on the lower level.  The burial location is then covered with a metal bar flooring upon which the dwarf's memorial slab is then placed.  "Normal" dwarves get copper flooring, officers get silver, and fortress heroes get gold or another precious metal. 

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29378 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:06 am »

Lenshatchets, 205 Granite 28:

why

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29379 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:06 am »

And the female rhino gives birth to three calves.  Who already have -trained- status.  :)

Awesome!  Did you mod out grazing completely or just change the value?

why

Aquifer accident?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29380 on: May 27, 2013, 04:45:24 am »

why

Aquifer accident?

No, that's the river in the middle of my embark. That dwarf was just chilling out in the water, on break, and complaining he couldn't path to pick up his equipment. On thinking, he was probably after some bolts that I had unforbidden from the stocks menu. It was still an... odd thing to see.

(As for aquifers, I finally got around to piercing the one on this map. Chalk, magnetite, and lignite; truly, Armok has blessed Lenshatchets.)

Edit:
Spoiler: Well, shit. (click to show/hide)

This definitely proves that [INVADERS:NO] does not affect vampires.

Speaking of vampires...

Second dwarf in my units list. Miner. Time to sacrifice a pick for the sake of dumping this guy in the caverrrrrrns :D

Edit2:

I haven't seen that blue-on-blue coloring on anything that wasn't aquatic in a while. -cackle- One vampire, safely stowed away to keep my fortress alive until such time as a forgotten beast eats him.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:51:04 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29381 on: May 27, 2013, 06:36:48 am »

I haven't seen that blue-on-blue coloring on anything that wasn't aquatic in a while. -cackle- One vampire, safely stowed away to keep my fortress alive until such time as a forgotten beast eats him.

I just got a vampire, too, and considered making her my manager.  After reading more about the vampire-alcohol slowdown effect, I changed my mind.

Relicshield, pop. 88, Late Spring of 277 (Year 26)

The dwarves thwarted an attempt by a vampire to infiltrate the fortress!  There was something a bit iffy about one of the new migrants.  Digging into historical records and religious texts revealed some clues.

The power of stone destroyed the creature's disguise... and the creature, too.

The vampire tried to pass herself off as a 113 years old, when she was in fact 190!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:42:37 am by VerdantSF »

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29382 on: May 27, 2013, 07:44:49 am »

This migrent just appeared. Would this be one of them vampires?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29383 on: May 27, 2013, 08:07:47 am »

Lol!  If you get rid of her, tell us her real age with a mem slab.  With that many groups, she's probably 300+!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29384 on: May 27, 2013, 10:05:59 am »

Just knocked the grazer rating up to something more manageable.  Still low enough I can't put them on restraints for control like non-grazers.  I also dropped the child->adult age requirement down from a decade to about five years.  Next step is war training them and then having them available to stomp kobolds with.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: 1 ... 1957 1958 [1959] 1960 1961 ... 3836