Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2028 2029 [2030] 2031 2032 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862026 times)

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30435 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »

Right now i really don't know what to do with my Baronmayorbookkeepervampire. I danger-roomed him out of curiosity and holy moly is that a broken mechanic: legendary in shields in less than two days, legendary with weapon in less than a week, legendary armour user and dodger in a bit over a month i think. I managed to get 4/7 water in his tile and now he's a legendary swimmer, too. Problem is i can't let him out or he'll go on a citizen-guzzling rampage, because he's stuck in 'on break' mode - he's in constant feed mode and won't ever get out of it, only the fact that he's kept behind locked doors keeps my citizens safe.

He's also a lover of large gems. So far, my fortress has managed to produce two of those, in ~3 years, from ~200 rough gems. Of course, that meant one mandate failed and a fisherdwarf was picked out to go to jail. For 101 days. She survived, because i had her chained up in the middle of a food stockpile. But the next large gem mandate is only a matter of time.

The vampire would be an awesome fighter (must be something like legendary +200 or so with shields and axes), but i'd need to find a way to release him on enemies without giving him a chance to get near my citizens. I can't order him to do any work himself, because he's on break. So i'm more in favour of driving him mad; if he doesn't berserk, he can still serve as fort life insurance _and_ would release his bugged stranglehold on all diplomacy: his first meeting with the human diplomat never properly started, and now the humans send no diplomats at all, while the dwarven diplomats don't even try to meet him, they just hang around in the meeting hall instead of sneaking around the vampire's office; seems they still wait for the vampire-human meeting to play out, which with a dead human law-giver isn't going to finish anytime soon.

Oh, and who said vampires' attributes get locked? Mine went from 'very weak' and one positive physical attribute ('robust', i think) to "absolutely inexhaustible, basically unbreakable, amazingly agile and very strong". His mental attributes rose substantially, too.

You can appoint a new mayor in the Nobles tab, seeing as this one is bugged. Attributes only lock in Adventure mode.

I wonder if you feed him one citizen, would it end the break?

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30436 on: August 04, 2013, 08:32:40 pm »

Damnit, i was so excited to get a vampire after n+ forts without one, and he's bugged. I made him my bookkeeper, and first he just kept updating the stupid records for a whole season after reaching perfection, when i forced him out of that (by giving, then ending a military station order) he went on break and won't come back. Guess i'll have to send some dwarfs into his room to do his basic work for him when he can't be arsed, stupid piece of shit bloodsucker. Or does anybody know how to un-stuck a noble on permanent holiday?
Bookkeepers will continue to update records till the end of time if you don't unassign them.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30437 on: August 04, 2013, 09:02:44 pm »

I released the clows of FUN to the overworld where they have killed 2 goblin sieges, several ambushes, merchants and migrants my fort is totally walled off

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30438 on: August 04, 2013, 10:35:13 pm »

Treemurder: Autumn of year 2.  Population: 60.  Lost a dwarf  getting magma the easy way, but that was expected and prepared for: my Legendary Miners were content to watch it happen.  Magma industries should be running soon enough.  Extra Microcline has been obtained for the Outer Walls but until them I mean to set my popcap low so I don't break 80 too quickly: I am totally unprepared for an ambush, much less a siege, and I don't want to Danger Room. 
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30439 on: August 04, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »

Fortressbowel - Year 25 - Pop 209

We have begun construction of the golden city on the surface, starting with two 5 story towers made from solid gold. The new Mayor has dreams of building a grand pyramid made out entirely of gold bars.

The elves came to trade, we found their wares highly uninteresting but we traded dog residual bone crafts from the Mayor's bracelet mandates for a few assorted animals including a grizzly bear, a jaguar and a reindeer. We hope they bring a male bear next time so we can breed war bears to patrol the golden city.

Two of the original seven have taken their long relationship to the next level by getting married. Ineth Leaguegear and Kol Oarlocks will surely give the fort many bearded children to carry on our traditions.

Surgeon Olon Manorwealthy is stricken by melancholy due to not having a shirt. That our stockpiles are full of perfectly usable clothing seems to be an unimportant detail to him. Around 7 other dwarves share his grief at missing shirts or trousers in what portends to be a repeat of last year's rotten clothing tantrum spiral.

Finally, some wild boars wandered into our cage traps, they are not grazers and could be bred to increase our meat stocks.

Darulio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30440 on: August 05, 2013, 12:44:52 am »

Volcano fort is good. Honestly, though, having serrated spike traps and spiked silver balls makes such a ridiculous mess on the volcano bridge.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30441 on: August 05, 2013, 04:05:41 am »

You can appoint a new mayor in the Nobles tab, seeing as this one is bugged. Attributes only lock in Adventure mode.

I wonder if you feed him one citizen, would it end the break?

In some of the 'vampirify your fortress' threads i've read advice to train up the population before getting them to drink from the well of undeath, to work around the presumed attribute locking. Probably just another argument for trying out stuff for yourself and not trusting _everything_ you read on the fora...

He helped himself to two citizens while on his break already - i opened the door to get his danger room entrance installed because he wouldn't do it himself, and he barrelled straight out of the door for the first sleeping dwarf. No matter of stationing, sending other dwarfs into the room to work there and whatnot could stop or even spot the crime, and immediately after that feeding, he caught wind of another dwarf in the fort being asleep and went straight for them as well. He remained solidly 'on break' through all that.

The root problem seems to be that he was appointed for baron while he was busy updating stockpile records; he didn't finish that job by himself and once forced out entered his eternal break.

I'm not sure replacing him as mayor would help, since as the baron, he's still the chief administrator and responsible for talking with diplomats. I'll try it anyway to hopefully piss him off, but don't have high hopes.

Edit: thanks for the tip, the outpost liaison of the previous year is still sitting in the meeting hall, but the _current year_ dwarf diplomat decided to talk with the replacement mayor. So this should work with following diplomats, too, although i think i'll better drive the vampire insane anyway, to get rid of his mandates. I _could_ try attracting the queen and feeding her to the vamp...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:53:30 am by Larix »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30442 on: August 05, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »

Update on my screwed-up vampire noble: i managed to make him go insane eventually. He was sitting on his 10-spear array, in 4/7 water and wouldn't move a step in any direction, so i let an engraver carve a fortification in the wall. The vampire was promptly washed through and _fortunately_ picked up the equally-bugged 'conduct meeting' job with the outpost liaison from way back when, else i would've had another citizen-draining rampage on my hands. He also finally noticed that 1. I had switched his military equipment setting to 'nothing, replace clothing' and 2. that he had no rooms to his name, while the old expedition leader has a decent office. He had remained stable at 'fine' to 'quite content' while i was systematically sabotaging his mandates. Stripping naked and registering the paucity of his rooms sent him crashing to miserable, two tantrums and a few weeks later, finally, insanity.

Since he's 'a nervous wreck',he went stark raving mad. Curiously, he didn't lose his 'on break' indicator and once i opened the passage so he could get to his observation tower, he instantly got moving, apparently hoping to pass the access door and drain all my citizens. Of course i forbade the door just before he reached it, but i strongly suspect insane vampires will not stop killing your people if they ended up stuck 'on break'. Now he's sitting next to the door and won't budge. I took a few ballista shots at him, but of course he's much too good at not getting hit for that to have any effect.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30443 on: August 05, 2013, 08:03:44 pm »

"I'mma stake me vampire mayor with a ballista"
Dwarfy.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30444 on: August 06, 2013, 08:48:48 pm »

Created a pocket world with 98 goblin civs, at war with them on embark.  Second siege, I get seven squads to show up, and they're all riding war Cave Dragons, Elk Birds, and Voracious Cave Crawlers.  Goblin Axemen, Hammermen, Bowmen.

Yep, it's a party!  :o

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #30445 on: August 06, 2013, 09:37:37 pm »

Created a pocket world with 98 goblin civs, at war with them on embark.  Second siege, I get seven squads to show up, and they're all riding war Cave Dragons, Elk Birds, and Voracious Cave Crawlers.  Goblin Axemen, Hammermen, Bowmen.

Yep, it's a party!  :o

...98 different goblin civilizations? Nothing else? That's hardcore.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30446 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:21 pm »

I experienced a sudden drop in FPS and tried to counteract it by killing all unnecessary animals, deleting superfluous items, and designating smaller areas for mining and woodcutting. About a minute ago a warning popped up to tell me that I had ten minutes left on my battery. I turned the powerstrip off with my foot and my laptop had been using a fraction of it's processing power.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #30447 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:24 pm »

I experienced a sudden drop in FPS and tried to counteract it by killing all unnecessary animals, deleting superfluous items, and designating smaller areas for mining and woodcutting. About a minute ago a warning popped up to tell me that I had ten minutes left on my battery. I turned the powerstrip off with my foot and my laptop had been using a fraction of it's processing power.
*Proud to use a tower for maximum processing power. Tower of Power!*

Anyway, my whole fort has crossbows. And bolts. And I still have too much damn copper! I compulsively have every metal I can smelting, and I have SO MUCH COPPER. Any ideas on what to do with it? Copper armor sets have been made for the whole fort.
Disclaimer: Whole fort does not include voidshard and kexels clad military.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #30448 on: August 07, 2013, 07:57:55 pm »

Anyway, my whole fort has crossbows. And bolts. And I still have too much damn copper! I compulsively have every metal I can smelting, and I have SO MUCH COPPER. Any ideas on what to do with it? Copper armor sets have been made for the whole fort.

Copper in every dwarf's room and hand, what else? :D

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30449 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:54 pm »

Start building an above ground structure made entirely of copper.

Pages: 1 ... 2028 2029 [2030] 2031 2032 ... 3836