Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2031 2032 [2033] 2034 2035 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860989 times)

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30480 on: August 11, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »

Rigothkilrud(aka Craftbronze)  23rd Sandstone, 135.

Blood and shale!  We had to halt work on the tower shell for a bit 'cause Shem Uzolotung wasn't paying attention when he received his work order to dismantle the scaffolding he was standin' on.  Yep, he fell 6 levels and broke both arms.  Badly.  After he gets sewn up and his bones set, he'll be in traction for a bit.

We're gonna modify the layout a bit so that the next time one of us gets too sober again and has an accident, he'll have a shorter fall.  Overseer is grousin' 'cause the material for the catchment is coming out of the bricks that were meant for the tower shell.  Says he's on a schedule, he did.  Wonder what he means by that?

Foolproof

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30481 on: August 11, 2013, 01:38:43 pm »

Well I start a new fort every few days and today's first artifact make me want to play this fort for far longer.  A hero is born.

Flayedgored the Gaze of Gripping

This is a great horned owl head veil.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.
On the item is an image of Flayedgored the Gaze of Gripping the great horned owl head veil in great horned owl leather.

I hope it is the feature focus of other artifacts soon.  Should i surround it with stairs, beds, or tables?

I'm seeing this evolve into some kind of dwarven Batman.  Hope i can get somedwarf to wear it and become attached.  I'll make him the lawman or hammerdwarf before causing lots of crime to fight.  So I guess I need to build lots of towers and rooftops and a owldorf cave secret hideout. 

Any other ideas I should keep in mind at the start?

There is almost no chance of me building an owlcomputer btw.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30482 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:55 pm »

A vile force of darkness arrives, they run the gauntlet of traps while being peppered from the archer towers before retreating. One marksdwarf casualty who got shot in the brain by a goblin elite bowman.

The second level of the solid gold pyramid commissioned by the Mayor is finished, masons and metalsmiths work day and night to fulfill the wasteful, self aggrandizing project.

Oddom Laltursigun becomes the new Chief medical dwarf as the old Ineth Dedukes was seen as too close to the previous administration. He has been accused of medical negligence, evicted from his comfortable apartment and exiled to a wooden cabin on the surface.

The elf caravan comes, bringing completely useless animals like beavers and buck hares, we exchange bone crafts for some dye and sand bags and send them on their way.

cross33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30483 on: August 11, 2013, 09:53:12 pm »

My squad of barely trained (level 3 max) swords dwarfs kicked the crap out of a dragon. The rest of my fortress died in the attack, but it was worth it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30484 on: August 11, 2013, 10:02:45 pm »

More damned mummies are being a nuisance in Mothramavuz. As Imush, one of our champions wasn't busy with sparing or drills, I sent him to deal with it. Amazing that he used to be a competent furnace operator and now he's a swordmaster.

In the disposal of prisoners, the male of the breeding pair of raptors we bought a year ago has killed enough POWs to have earned a full title: Bokurdor Ololospad Muspo "Standardwooded The Bowel of Wading." History will remember such a mighty monster, and if those hatchlings ever come, they better be proud to be his sires.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30485 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:31 pm »

Things have gotten lively in Relicblaze.

An incursion of goblin snatchers and ambush squads was dealt with by the melee squads in the tunnels.  Including a one-dwarf steel tornado as a legendary axe dwarf dismembered a group of goblin archers by himself.  Just blocked or dodged everything they shot at him and hewed them down.

Soon afterward a lumbering expedition was mounted for the annual clear cutting of the surface to keep the sight lines clear and snowy.

Cue another minotaur attack.  Entering right where the woodcutters are working.  Militia summoned, woodcutters flee, minotaur picks one and pursues.

Minotaur catches dwarf three tiles before the first melee troops arrive.  He gores the dwarf in the head for a instant kill.  Moments later a morningstar cramps the minotaur's day by breaking his leg.  Followed by a axe lord caving in the minotaur's skull with a steel battleaxe.

The casualty?  The fortress mayor.  Also a legendary woodcutter and bowyer.  Buried with honors while the minotaur's corpse goes into the dump.

A few FBs appear and die.  Ho-hum. 

The goblins siege in the autumn.  First "vile force of darkness" to appear in over three years.  We are *very* ready.  Five squads of cavalry, including an archer squad with an elite archer leader.  Three units of ogres arrive as well.  (About the biggest siege I've seen.  80 goblins, 80 mounts, and 24 ogres.)

Most of the goblins enter via the East Tunnel.  This allows the water gun emplacement to get an operational test.  The ogres are allowed past for the marksdwarves and traps to deal with.  When the first two cavalry squads are coming past the water gun it is activated and then allowed to fire until it runs dry.  Meanwhile, the goblins get sealed in (about five lashers and mounts escaped) and pounded by the marksdwarves and then mopped up by some melee troops.

The water gun was using two carts and firing a round roughly every 100 ticks (a cart took 200 ticks to cycle and two were cycling.)  The water ball was doing a very nice job bowling goblins and mounts into each other, pushing them 5-10 tiles backwards, and basically causing mayhem.  And also pushing things into a drainage pit about 25 tiles down range.  Once it ran dry a rough count of damage inflicted was taken.  9 goblins and 23 mounts killed;  20 goblins and 7 mounts still alive in the pit (a few dead from having others dropped on them.)  So the water gun essentially dealt with two of the five squads by itself -  I consider that a successful defense device.

Now to the slow reloading process, cleaning up corpses, and figuring out how to finish off the goblins and mounts sitting down in the drainage pit.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30486 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »

As I modded the game to let me train anitmated suits of armor I caught, i found myself scrabling to get mechanics together to make cage traps to capture them so the tamers could set about coaxing the spirits and magic controlling them to fight beside our golems.

I dunno why but I just find the concept of a magic robot army awesome.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30487 on: August 12, 2013, 01:55:25 am »

Blood and shale!

Do I spy a fellow fan, or at least reader, of Digger? :D

That dwarf is lucky he survived his fall, yikes.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30488 on: August 12, 2013, 02:57:47 am »

I noticed my fort is nearing the FPS death step by step because of the countless bolts I have crafted from the bones I got from my alligator breeding program. I slaughtered almost all female hatchlings. So far I have 17000 bolts laying around, still counting.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30489 on: August 12, 2013, 06:30:11 am »

So I finally get around to installing DF on my new computer, and create a new world. I go scouting around for likely-looking spots, and find a lovely river valley running through the mountains, surrounded by swamps, with an active volcano right next to the stream and goblins and necromancers my closest neighbors. I'm not sure there are any humans or elves on the landmass, either.

The steep mountain slopes turn out to be swarming with alligators, but I'm too busy watching the majestic schools of lungfish flying 6 Z-levels above my dwarves. I find it chilling that they chose to do this so close to an active volcano. It's clearly some sort of evil omen.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30490 on: August 12, 2013, 06:48:38 am »

so it's mordor?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30491 on: August 12, 2013, 08:14:05 am »

So I finally get around to installing DF on my new computer, and create a new world. I go scouting around for likely-looking spots, and find a lovely river valley running through the mountains, surrounded by swamps, with an active volcano right next to the stream and goblins and necromancers my closest neighbors. I'm not sure there are any humans or elves on the landmass, either.

The steep mountain slopes turn out to be swarming with alligators, but I'm too busy watching the majestic schools of lungfish flying 6 Z-levels above my dwarves. I find it chilling that they chose to do this so close to an active volcano. It's clearly some sort of evil omen.
so it's mordor?
I think its pretty clear what Armok wants you to do, so start building a black gate and capturing a giant cave spider
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30492 on: August 12, 2013, 11:07:41 am »

Blood and shale!

Do I spy a fellow fan, or at least reader, of Digger? :D

That dwarf is lucky he survived his fall, yikes.

Yes, very much a fan of that work.  I need to check back and see if the author has started another project.

I feel that Digger's expletives fit DF Dwarves (especially "Blood and shale"), so appropriated them as sort of a shout out.

edited: corrected awkward syntax
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:10:16 am by morlicar »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30493 on: August 12, 2013, 01:06:44 pm »

Lots of death. In just a few short years, around 80 dwarves have died in multiple bloodbaths (the current population is only 51). First I didn't train my military, and a few dozen dwarves died to an ambush. Things went well until I breached the caverns, and four forgotten beasts immediately attacked. The first one was killed quickly, but the a single web-spewing beast killed most of my military; the only military survivor was my mayor/vampire/axelord, who chopped off its head. While it was distracted, the other two forgotten beasts murdered my dwarves. One killed a few dwarves before being bludgeoned to death by citizens, and the other dodged into the magma sea. There were a few berserk dwarves who killed more citizens, bringing the death count to 30 from this attack. Fun.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30494 on: August 12, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »

welp, my plans for the deadly blood earthworm failed miserably.

i managed to pit the beast in a 1 by 1 space on a spear trap with fortifications around it.

the problem is that i used a silver spear instead of say, a menacing iron spike. the attacks keep glancing away, which means no blood.

on the bright side, this is the first time i ever dealt with pitting, and i see lot of potential in that.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2031 2032 [2033] 2034 2035 ... 3836