Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2044 2045 [2046] 2047 2048 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862318 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30675 on: August 30, 2013, 04:54:53 pm »

Thanks, and it was just in time for our domesticated Cave Trolls to grow up and hopefully start breeding.

MrCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30676 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:36 pm »

Just fought off a siege and now building a mist generator and various statue gardens to generate happy thoughts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30677 on: August 30, 2013, 05:30:29 pm »

While I was finishing out a siege when a recurring wereskunk appeared in human form and I guess he had already become an enemy of the fort because he was promptly attacked by the swordsdwarves. The humans arrived right after the siege ended and then VERY soon after, a dragon appeared. For a second, I thought it was heading towards the merchants, but when I saw that it was clearly heading towards the entrance, I had my military (who hadn't even gone back inside yet) kill the thing. The marksdwarves let loose with a hail of bolts while my swordsdwarves plunged through the dragonfire and finished it off.

I did lose one of the marksdwarves who got dragonfire to the face or something.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30678 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:18 pm »

Now that second generation wolves and skunks are being born tame, I've ordered the butchering of all the wild-caught animals. Hopefully the animal trainers who have bonded with particular trained animals don't get too upset - especially since my animal trainers are all marksdwarves in the military.

EDIT: ...and now a nice visitor has arrived.

She is, of course, a demon posing as a god. Or maybe she's the real deal. I doubt it. Either way, she's come to meet with the newly-appointed baron, and I have every intent to prevent her from leaving Syrupurns ever again.

Oh yes, Sutar, there is... why don't you step into my office?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:56:11 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30679 on: August 31, 2013, 06:19:05 am »

Wallchance, year 130

This year started sadly.

Typically a ranger gets eaten by a cave spider, I send in a squad to kill it, a hammerdwarf's upper body gets chewed on, the spider is killed, the docs patch up the dwarf, but he gets infections and decides, that he likes axes better than hammers :(

First goblin ambush! Quite pitiful, consisting of four hammergoblins and a single bowgoblin, yet the battle is opened by an arrow piercing my militia captain's heart, then later on the gobbos brain out my new recruit, and one gobbo even manages to run away :(
At least I got some iron now, I'm going to make steel! :D

A swordsdwarf gets stabbed to a cripple by a goblin thief :(

Fifth beast attacks, a forgotten pterosaur!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Chocolate scales, yummy!
It flies into my pastures, where two full squads are training, it breaks a swordsdwarf's leg, but it's quickly overcome by the multitude of dwarves,  eight of them gets dizzy, then they bleed out instantly :(
Not only that but they switched back to their civilian jobs, so they got tombed as milkers and pump operators :(

At least my group of dwarves chose a cool symbol.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I guess it's a capital glowing F on the wall.

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30680 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:13 am »

Rigothkilrud, "Craftbronze" 8th Malachite, 147

The overseer thinks he may have made the tower rooms too big.  The duke's been complaining about lessers having better accommodations and the overseer happens to *like* this duke...so we've been rebuilding the lower housing levels.  Our rooms are still very nice, if a bit smaller, so there's been no major complaints.

The overseer has also just noticed that one of our fellows, Dobar Likotkacoth, had died and that he'd missed the announcement.  Even though he'd been properly honored and buried, the overseer ordered a slab inscribed.  Turns out Dobar bled out in 145; he'd been dead & gone two years before the overseer noticed even though there are only 19 of us.  Yeah.

The overseer's temple at the volcano's summit is slowly progressing.  He's freely admitted that, like the tower, he's making it up as he goes along.  Whatever.  The work is good and he's building decent defensive works as he proceeds so we're not arguing ... much.  He did have to halt work for a season because the work site is too far from our rooms and many of us were sleeping, eating rations and drinking water in the field.  Morale has improved once again and work has just recommenced.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30681 on: August 31, 2013, 09:49:42 am »

apparently my weaponsmith likes me cause she just gave me a platinum war hammer.

my only disappointment is that it's not as decorated as Prideunited nor does it have a such an awesome name.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30682 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:51 am »

I've got a web-spewing Titan manhandling my immigrants in an undead raising biome and not leaving because he's having too much fun re-killing the immigrants.  Even if it dies... it won't go away.  I'm currently debating on different trap approaches.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30683 on: August 31, 2013, 11:25:18 am »

I'm currently building a flooding system for my main entrance.
1 main hallway 3 blocks wide and 30 long. 3 flood gates on both ends connected to 1 lever.
A reservoir that is 20 X 20 to one side - directly piped to both ends of the hallway for faster flooding and attached to another lever.
3 "drains" dug into the other side that are 2 blocks wide for quick drainage, that are attached to to a third lever.

This should be interesting being able to mass drown anyone who is foolish enough to attack my fortress.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30684 on: August 31, 2013, 03:39:58 pm »

I've had two former mayors go mad after losing their mayoral status. Or them going mad made them lose that status?

I think it has something to do with the artifact chair in the study I gave them.

I think of it as the curse of the chair. Any mayor who sits in it eventually goes berserk.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #30685 on: August 31, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »

The spinning ({Dwarven Wine Barrel (Oaken)}) strikes Urist McBrewer in the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain, and tearing the brain!
Urist McBrewer has been knocked unconscious!
Urist McBrewer has been shot and killed.

Killed by a guy who'd spent too much time outside, avoiding cavy corpses and zombie kestrals, even killing one of each. With his bare hands. Throwing the booze at the guy who made it made him feel better enough to calm down, but he's just complaining about everything. Everyone else is happy enough, but he's just misserable from being attacked by zombies, stepping in repulsive mucus (making him dizzy), and being rained on.

Edit: Finally ejected the liason from my fort, and he steps through the door-hall, and he's in the last doorway... and he's struck by melancholy. Darn. :(
Edit2: And then a zombie reindeer kills him.  :P
Edit3: Zombie slugmen are playing cavy pup golf.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:07:04 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30686 on: September 01, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »

Going through temporary FPS megadeath (fps of 3-4) while my water reactor and pumps go (not the main source of lag) while the lake water drains through the drainage system (the main source of the lag) while I have a whole lot of dwarves carve downwards stairs drains into the system. I suspect the major part of the lag is just the drainage system trying to absorb all the lake water that is draining out, the pumps are actually doing a really good job of keeping the water out, it's just the water that is already IN the lake that is draining.

A little bit ago I had the werebeast message, except it was a reptilefolk woman, who walked back off the map.

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30687 on: September 01, 2013, 02:58:18 pm »

I got an undead invasion in late second spring.
Forgot to lock doors and now my fort have gone from 55 to 1 inhabitant.

Succeded in locking the doors, and did only have one zombie left inside.

Did also found out that I had a vampire in my fort, the last survivor who kiled the last zombie (who had hide in the mist, missed him).

When I started writing this he was recovering his wounds down in cave 1. But unfortunatly something happend to him and he is now dead..

First reclaim resulted in that my caged necromancer had a "little bit of fun" with all the dead. Needles to say, the "friendly" man resuleted in a new try.

Letīs see how that goes..

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30688 on: September 01, 2013, 03:46:10 pm »

Huge mass of water trying to spread out and drain quickly= FPS death, ow.

However, since the water level has already gone down to 1s and 2s in one area, I know the pumps are working well and the drainage is working, so, I just have to wait for the huge mass of water to drain itself.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #30689 on: September 01, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »

Set up some querns to mill my crops (I think that's how it's done), so that I can replenish my seeds. Plump helmets may be the biggest crop around, but only carry so much desirability. Darn cave wheat's limited growing season.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2044 2045 [2046] 2047 2048 ... 3836