Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786972 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30720 on: September 04, 2013, 07:33:48 pm »

My stepped gold pyramid is done at last. Also captured a bunch of crundles and set them to participate in gladiatorial games against farm animals

The farm animal team composed of a donkey and a pig managed to slay 1 crundle but where in danger of being overwhelmed, when suddenly their ranks were reinforced with a stray jaguar. The jaguar then led them to victory, with all 5 crundles suffering a gruesome end.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:03:27 pm by Bludulukus »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30721 on: September 04, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »

Try training weapons?

/facepalm
I totally forgot about those ! Time to make my first training weapon in years.

I always use wooden training spears with the lowest quality mechanisms I can find. Lower quality mechanisms are less likely to land blows, but goblins will still dodge them. Spears are less likely to sever parts than swords and axes, making for easier cleanup of occasional idiot trolls who manage to get killed by the nominally nonlethal traps because they almost never dodge.

I'll cross check the mechanism quality.
Also I thought that wooden spears could still injury stuff (e.g. danger room). But I assume featherwood spears are better than featherwood spiked balls.
I think next fort I'll mod in a reaction to make wooden maces.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30722 on: September 05, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »

1st fort near necromancer towers: I was hoping to rely on a handful of cage traps and a large war-dog militar yto get me through until I had a couple of super dwarves. I had some decent fighters too, thought I was prepared. When the necromancers came, it was hilarious. My cages were filled instantly. I'm not sure if my small military even got a shot or two in before they were slaughtered. The war dogs slowed them down only due to numbers... by maybe 3 seconds. Fort is destroyed.

2nd fort next door: quite a bit better. I was next to a river this time, and built walls and doors that I was able to use to seal myself off. I even had a side channel (with 4 lockable doors) to funnel in siegers (etc) through an easily melee-defensible corridor with cage traps. I did have 2 problems though - the outer gate was never hooked up to a mechanism (just the bridge over the water), and I didn't wall off the hill, so they could scare my people by standing on the roof next to the doorway. What ended up killing me was the necromancers standing on top, raising undead from my own stockpile, and being instantly overrun that way. Oops.

3rd fort next door: I didn't seal it off in time. The necromancers came early, and I had absolutely nothing to stop them.

1st fort re-claim: ran into fort as soon as possible. Sealed it off as soon as possible. Lost 4 dwarves doing so. The last three had no supplies inside save for a plump helmet farm. No ax, so no wood. No pick, so no modifying the fort at all. Shit. No barrels even, no rock pots, and no water source reachable. I renamed them all "survivors" and abandoned fort. Also learned though that necromancers like to stay on the map and raise dead. Those necromancers are friendly - their undead are not.

2nd fort reclaim: hey, this is more defensible! I was able to get right into the fort and seal it off instantly - no dwarves lost. A handful of undead outside, but nothign to worry about. Got a pick too, though no axe. Got a small farm working, and an aquifer-filled water source. I won't die of starvation! But I also have no weapons, not enough tools, and a severely lacking in supply longevity.

Ooh, necromancers are fun.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30723 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:25 pm »

Since i was fiddling with logic again anyway, i took another peek at the stuff recorded on the wiki. Hmm, with mechanical logic, this "adder" thing should be easy enough to build.

Basically, what you want is to slap together three inputs - A, B and (for all but the lowest bit) Carry. If all inputs are zero, sum out and carry out are off, if exactly one input is on, sum out is on and carry out off, if exactly two inputs are on, carry out is on and sum out off, if all three inputs are on, sum out and carry out are both on.

So, to summarise, if at least two inputs are on, carry out is on, and if an odd number of inputs is on, sum out is on. As a result, we need two mechanic logic devices:

Three-input XOR:
Code: [Select]
P☼S
Power connection, ☼ - gear assembly connected to all three inputs, toggled so it's off when all three are off, S - sum output
If an odd number of inputs are 'on', the sum output is also on. That one was almost insultingly easy.

3-input AND/OR:   
Code: [Select]
BO
ACB
P.P
P - power connections (two)
A, B, B, C - gear assemblies connected to the respective inputs, toggled to be engaged when on, disengaged when off
O - carry output

If two or three inputs are on, the carry output is also on.

The whole thing takes about 45 power and 19 mechanisms, without the actual input/output devices.

Anyone has an idea on how to simplify it more?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:46:29 pm by Larix »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30724 on: September 05, 2013, 03:45:39 pm »

So I was writing a short account of a double ambush and got carried away. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30725 on: September 05, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »

I'm trying out domestication of cave creatures. I have a world with no goblins which is awesome for this type of long-term fort.

I have my fortress all set up and I've recently breached the second cavern. Luckily most of the FBs have been entering the first cave.

I've already got some Rutherer's and a Cave Croc!

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #30726 on: September 05, 2013, 10:44:00 pm »

Only double? In my older fortress I got triple ambush...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30727 on: September 05, 2013, 11:13:55 pm »

Just saw a quintuple one die to 150 undead on the surface.  Was kind of funny.  In an "oh my god now there's 50 more of you" kind of way.

I'm frustrated.  I want to get back to showing FurnaceClans but I keep ending up with problems or glitches while I work out a defensive system.  Logic and system glitches I'm mostly working out (like for some damned reason my dorfs INSIST they want to go sunbathing, created a civilian hatch block in the two grinder entries) but the ones like where carts and corpses disappear in magma permanent are driving me BATTY, or when you forbid goods and your dorfs insist on still trying to go to the spot with a pickup equipment job.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #30728 on: September 06, 2013, 06:49:57 am »

Just sealed off second cave layer. Last wall was quite.. hectic to build. Quite few nasties before something less dangerous appeared. Also found accidentally fourth candy veil. Fourth damn candy veil! Guess I should go and pave my domes with it...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30729 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:11 am »

Still on that necro-filled re-embark. First 7 dwarves. Then I get foolish and try to empty out a cage and dump an undead corpse into the trash pit. Down to 6 dwarves (1 wounded, 1 dead). I have a good 6 or 7 more cage traps ready for undead though, so I leave the trapped passage open.

Ambush, inside fort. Apparently some of the undead are perfectly fine waling right over my cage traps. Damn undead. One got in. 1 dwarf went melancholy, another died. Down to 5 dwarves, with only 3 useful.

Migrants arrive! yay. Up to 9 dwarves, all useful. Melancholy dwarf died of thirst. Wounded dwarf just dies. I look at the health screen, and people are starving. I butcher a couple war dogs.

I then make limited expiditions outside to reclaim small things that might be useful. The necromancers are section off by a river (until winter), and so the outside is relatively safe until then. Only 1 or 2 undead on my side to worry about. And I need supplies badly. Most looked for supply outside? wood. I got a log! I could use that for a training ax - and many problems will be slowly solved.

Another dies to dehydration. Down to 7. Huh? don't know where I lost hte othe rone. Oh well. But now I got a training ax, so wood is coming along. Next - a bucket. hmm...
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30730 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:37 am »

*Salutes* Truly, a great tale of dwarven courage.

I myself have just started playing DF again, after a long absence. I was thinking of waiting for the new version, but since I just got a new laptop and was having trouble remembering just what I used to spend so much time doing on the computer, I figured I'd start a fort. :P

Ahhh, I love this game. The hamlet of Ethadlogem is growing steadily, both upwards and downwards, and our first strange mood (a fancy cabinet made by the expedition leader, no less) went without incident. I've been indulging my love of multi-storey buildings, and ordering my Expedition Leader's favourite things from the caravan. Other than a few periods of near-starvation, and a ranger having a miscarriage and subsequently murdering her husband in a fit of rage, things have been pretty good.

Let's see how long that lasts...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30731 on: September 06, 2013, 02:05:28 pm »

Started diverting a river - accidentally ran into a cave - now I am filling up the entire cave system on the map, with no way to stop it.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30732 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:19 pm »

apparently there's a 21 z lvl spire of adamantine I didn't know about.

i wish i was more excited, but i already have masterwork steel so it's not high priority right now.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30733 on: September 06, 2013, 05:39:35 pm »

While linking up yet another track stop, i accidentally designated one of the loose mechanisms sitting in the middle of an active minecart repeater. The miner who decided to do the job took a cart to the leg and ended up with a severely shattered bone; fortunately it was a wooden minecart, so at least the collision stopped it.

Now the FUN thing was that not only didn't i have a hospital yet, i also had no soap and no traction bench (needed for treatment), the victim was my only miner and it was early winter, about a month before the river, my only water source so far, froze.

Cue making a new traction bench, cooking up some soap and drafting every free dwarf into an emergency mining crew, all to the tune of numerous 'no water source' cancellations. Fortunately, the depth exploration shaft passed right next to the underground lake of the third cavern, so the wall showed as 'damp' when looking to designate horizontal exploration tunnels. The miner promptly received water, was cleaned and given a cast, and even got properly released from traction.

EDIT:
And now for something completely different - the automatic minecart launcher, for actual transportation routes:

Annoyed at having to wait for your vehicle hauler to come around and push the cart/pull the lever once it's loaded? Worry no longer, this contraption autonomously starts the cart when it is full and is even calibrated to limit the damage to your dwarfs!

The basic principle is quite simple: a track pressure plate can be set to only respond once a desired weight is reached, and putting items into a minecart makes it heavier. Once the weight threshold is reached, the pressure plate will activate. There's just one little obstacle: the pressure plate is an exclusive building, you can't put it on top of a hatch cover, bridge or roller, so you cannot directly launch the cart via pressure plate. Still, no problem, you can activate a roller on which _another_ cart sits, so that it bumps into the loaded cart and puts it in motion. All that's left is building a return mechanism for the pushing cart and a security gate so your dwarfs don't stand around on the track while carts are zipping around (standing on top of the loaded cart at the moment it gets pushed appears to be completely harmless, but better safe than sorry).

From left to right: Roller with the 'pusher' cart, in phase with the pressure plate; door, operated by exiting dwarf; roller to return the 'pusher' cart to the start, in opposite phase with the pressure plate; pressure plate set to a minimum weight corresponding to a sufficiently full cart. When the cart is full enough, the push roller activates and the return roller deactivates. Once the door opens, the push cart moves east, pushes the loaded cart off the pressure plate and stops on top of the return roller. 100 steps after the loaded cart is pushed off the pressure plate, the return roller turns back on and moves the push cart along the northern return loop back to the push roller.

Track of the demonstration installation. The loaded cart goes around a very short track, with a no-friction stop with dump to the north; it returns to the T-junction and stops there, bumping into the wall. Both the push and return roller sit on top of corner tracks, thus the push roller works S->N to move the cart east, and the return roller works E->W to bend the cart around to the north.

The fully-installed launcher with security gate to the south: both pressure plates here are set to minimum weight creature trigger with citizens triggering, both are connected to the central hatch cover (over a pit) and the adjacent door; the northwestern plate is also connected to the cinnabar door holding back the pusher cart. Thus, the launch only activates when the loaded cart is heavy enough _and_ when the hauler dwarf is on the way out. The down staircase gives access to the pit under the hatch cover, to allow an escape in case someone manages to fall into the pit and survives.

I successfully loaded ~30 boulders into the minecart, with only one bruised pancreas when one dwarf managed to wedge the cinnabar door open and the next didn't go out of the way and caught the cart at the end of its circuit. I also had a fair bit of trouble with underweight dwarfs who wouldn't activate the pressure plates.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:37:16 pm by Larix »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30734 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:47 pm »

Hello, and welcome all to our tour of the fine city of Murkyroads!

Don't worry, our roads are the finest in the land! Whether migrant, merchant, or monarchy, you are safe with us!

Please, while on your visit feel free to take a rest by our peaceful and scenic brook!

Come and swim in our public pool! Fun for all ages! Though be warned, there are no lifeguards on duty!

Come and play in our Underground Adventure FortressTM! Work on the Underground Adventure FortressTM has been suspended for the foreseeable future. We apologize for the inconvenience.

However, merchandise is still available for purchase!

Come and take a walk through our town square, have a rest in our tavern or spend some time in our friendly petting zoo! Take a tour of our glass making factory and maybe even catch a glimpse of the bastard that did this our respected yet elusive mayor Goden Udirkeshan!

So please, stay awhile and mingle with the locals! You will find that they are very friendly!

We hope that you have enjoyed your tour of our fine city and that you may consider returning for another or even moving in!
Pages: 1 ... 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 ... 3835