Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863313 times)

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3075 on: May 23, 2010, 03:07:53 pm »

Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Tangent into the OT: This brightened an otherwhise dire day. Thanks for the giggle.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: May 23, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »

Hi!

Having started a new fortress because the casualties due to the missing turtles were rising, I found that this map again had no turtles, it seems. Now, giving up on fair play, I have tried to make turtles butcherable. If it works, I can get my shells thanks to the elven caravan. If not I can only hope I keep on being lucky with the moods (3 moods succeeded in this new fortress and 0 shell moods thus far).

This new fortress also has become my first 31.xx barony. Of course, since I hadn't noted down which dwarves were good and which bad, I made a dwarf with a liking for raw adamantine the baroness. Thus far, she was more eager to mandate battle axes, but once she starts getting greedy, I suppose I have reason to worry (just in case, I have started building prison cells).

It seems that the baroness will still work like any other normal civilian dwarf. Her labor menu looks normal. Interesting.

Deathworks

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: May 23, 2010, 03:19:43 pm »

Hi!

Having started a new fortress because the casualties due to the missing turtles were rising, I found that this map again had no turtles, it seems. Now, giving up on fair play, I have tried to make turtles butcherable. If it works, I can get my shells thanks to the elven caravan. If not I can only hope I keep on being lucky with the moods (3 moods succeeded in this new fortress and 0 shell moods thus far).

IF that works, I'd like to know. I'm not holding out much hope, however. Best solution I've seen so far was adding [SHELL] to cow hooves.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: May 23, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »

(just in case, I have started building prison cells).

I take it you neglected to install a lock door+raise spikes+flood with magma level in her bedroom?

There's a reason all my government officials have iron or nickel doors...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: May 23, 2010, 03:57:29 pm »

(just in case, I have started building prison cells).

I take it you neglected to install a lock door+raise spikes+flood with magma level in her bedroom?

There's a reason all my government officials have iron or nickel doors...
Also an added room bonus!

"That's such a wonderful basalt lever! So tastefully arranged!"
"Why don't you give it a pull?" *backs out of room*
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: May 23, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »

Winter recently set in. Things had been going pretty good so far, so I guess the game decided it's time to screw everything up.

A dwarf is demanding rough gems to complete her project. So far I haven't found any rough gems through digging so I am at a loss at what to do. She is also my only competent brewer, so I'm worried that if I lose her my beer stocks will quickly empty. To make matters worse, my irrigation project as suffered many setbacks. The most recent being when a mason was ordered to place a wall to cover up a hole, and ended up trapping himself behind the wall and a floodgate. Now I have to get the idiot out of there before he starves to death. Of course in doing so I'll produce another hole, and then another mason will probably trap himself behind that trying to patch it up. That's how my mason got stuck in there in the first place.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: May 23, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »

I finally got a bronze model (semi)megabeast to come to my bronze colossus2 fort.
and the first thing she did on her way here is,

fishing for turtles.

she mark under friendly so capturing her is out of the question.

this really marks the first time I seen a friendly unit do a job with little modding on my behalf.

Beware of her deadly fishing skills!

If I can recreate this on a larger scale then one could be hit with a migrant wave that won't listen to you.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: May 23, 2010, 05:57:00 pm »

I finally got a bronze model (semi)megabeast to come to my bronze colossus2 fort.
and the first thing she did on her way here is,

fishing for turtles.

she mark under friendly so capturing her is out of the question.

this really marks the first time I seen a friendly unit do a job with little modding on my behalf.

Beware of her deadly fishing skills!

If I can recreate this on a larger scale then one could be hit with a migrant wave that won't listen to you.

In 40d this happened when the megabeast had become the leader of a civ. Perhaps you should look up the colossus's legends entry later?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: May 23, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »

Right now I'm working on a community fort(ish) from the wurm forums. It's called Stakenations, and if you want you can check it out here, although I suspect you might need a user on the forums. :( Nevertheless, I'm writing up the logs of Miggy the carpenter in a .odt file as well, and so far I've gone to 24 pages.

At the moment in the fort I'm constructing an ice fortification above-ground, making a pumpstack to pump magma to my forge areas. I've got 4 incredibly skilled fighters permanently hospitalized due to requiring surgery (all were training on some sort of harmless animal or naked goblin when they broke something), 4 dwarves dead due to the lack of shells. 2 forgotten beasts slain by my glorious military and something like half a dozen ambushes thwarted. Right now I'm afraid of re-organizing my military as well as making new armour/weapons, as that will mean downtime for my military, after which a goblin ambush will surely occur. I'll keep on stacking those weapon traps.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: May 23, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »

Regarding the no anvil thing, it's a habit carried over from 40d.  Still, in every previous fort, the first dwarven caravan brought at least 1 anvil.

The second autumn finally arrived, and the liason immediately walked into an ambush and was paste-ified.  No worries, I requested anvils last autumn...didn't I?  Either I didn't, or the mountainhome didn't care.  I don't know if the next autumn's caravan will be at the mountainhome's discretion, or if it will default to my previous requests, but it could be another 2 years before I get an anvil.  I've been defending my fortress with wooden weapon traps.  I think I've largely been lucky because 2/3 of my above-ground is cutoff by branches of the river, and the only ambush I've found (the one that killed my liason) was dispatched by the caravan guards.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: May 23, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

Year 3 of Springswords:
Maintaining the basic needs of my dwarves in between building sprees on my World Tree mega-project.
They've got a legendary dining room with statue gardens, a great dormitory, huge diversity in their diet, soon to include dozens of awesome meals since my stockpiles are overflowing with plump helmets. Everyone's F@#$@!G ECSTATIC.

Just had a five-year-old boy go fey, grab some logs and bones and he's making something epic (I can feel it, this kid will do something useful). Now all I gotta do is have him survive to puberty and hope his legendary status doesn't wear off by then.

As for the tree, I've only built the first floor and 2/3 of the second, but the biggest problem is 1. i had to stop and make barrels, lots of barrels and 2. I decided it would have hella-awesome root things sticking out of it, which took forever to plan and build, but will really add to it in 3Dwarf/stonesense.
From here on out it should be pretty simple, so long as the forests regrow at a similar pace to my construction, otherwise I might harvest the shrubbery and take a couple years off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: May 23, 2010, 07:43:42 pm »

Year 3 of Springswords:
Maintaining the basic needs of my dwarves in between building sprees on my World Tree mega-project.
They've got a legendary dining room with statue gardens, a great dormitory, huge diversity in their diet, soon to include dozens of awesome meals since my stockpiles are overflowing with plump helmets. Everyone's F@#$@!G ECSTATIC.

Just had a five-year-old boy go fey, grab some logs and bones and he's making something epic (I can feel it, this kid will do something useful). Now all I gotta do is have him survive to puberty and hope his legendary status doesn't wear off by then.

As for the tree, I've only built the first floor and 2/3 of the second, but the biggest problem is 1. i had to stop and make barrels, lots of barrels and 2. I decided it would have hella-awesome root things sticking out of it, which took forever to plan and build, but will really add to it in 3Dwarf/stonesense.
From here on out it should be pretty simple, so long as the forests regrow at a similar pace to my construction, otherwise I might harvest the shrubbery and take a couple years off.

I assume you're playing 40D, right? So, how about setting up an UG tree farm if you have an UG river or UG pool available?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: May 23, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »

I narrowly averted two major disasters.

Embarked on a volcano and made a series of magma drowning chambers for my workshops to eliminate moody dwarfs. Then I realized that I had made the entire thing from non-magma safe materials. I was just moments from filling my fort with magma when I realized my mistake. So I dismantled it all and now I'm rebuilding.

I also made one dwarf my manager, bookkeeper, broker and chief medical dwarf. I thought I was being smart because I'd only need one office and that one noble could get many jobs done. Then he went into a mood and wanted 'body parts'. I thought I was doomed. No work orders were being completed, records weren't being updated, I couldn't trade, and one of my military needed sutures. But I slaughtered every animal on the map and found out that apparently snailmen now leave shells behind when they die, this must be a bug fix in 31.04 because that didn't happen in 31.03. So he got his shells and crafted an iron figurine with shells and other bits. That dwarf is also being moved to a safe burrow deep inside the fort to make sure no tragedy finds him. He's far too important.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Davie

• Bay Watcher
  • The King of Explodia
    • View Profile
    • I draw stuff here.
« Reply #3088 on: May 23, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »

What's going on in my fortress?  Lemme check--oh wait, that's right, I no longer have a fortress.  I had my guys digging out a moat to surround my fabulous watchtower, but I didn't pay enough attention to where the channels were going.  They broke right through my kitchen ceiling, pouring thousands of gallons of water into the fortress in a matter of seconds.  The channels were also hooked up the nearby brook, so the water never subsided.  Fortunately, most of my dwarves escaped to the surface, but the river has claimed all 14 z-levels of the fort now.  Barring some sort of ludicrous, convoluted and incredibly time-consuming pumping operation, my fort shall remain underwater for eternity. 

Such a Dwarf Fortress moment.  Goddammit. 
Goddamn wizards.

Sigz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: May 23, 2010, 10:26:59 pm »

Started a new fortress the other day, which had a very rocky start. I found a great spot with a strong river, volcano, and chasm, along with flux stone. I immediately lost both my farmers to troglodytes while they were off gathering plants, and almost lost the expedition leader because she had been in a relationship with one of them. Down to five dwarves, we had ample food supply and things were OK when I decided I wanted to bring in some water to have an indoor water supply. One uninstalled floodgate later and the entire lower level stockpile was flooded 7/7. 

Ashenvale forged ahead however, and now has 50 dwarves. Food and booze supplies are good, I managed to drain the flooded sections and get an indoor well in the dining hall, got some some magma flowing for forges, and a have a legendary stonecrafter doing his thing 24/7. My major problem is that I've yet to find any ore besides silver, so I can't get any armor for my soldiers. I haven't had any ambushes yet, but I'm about due pretty soon. KEEP DIGGING DORFS
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 3836