Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851940 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30765 on: September 08, 2013, 10:20:51 pm »

The forges are finally producing. The hunt for lignite and coal is going swimmingly. I just upgraded from copper to iron picks, should maybe speed things up a slight bit.

Filling the old quarries with engraved slabs, to make up for anything with a name that dies. Kobolds, migrants, horses, geese, tick-men-corpses, elven merchants, etc. just so that I don't have to deal with any ghosts, ever.

Pick material and quality won't affect work speed at all: only skill affects how quickly miners go through stone. So the iron picks aren't going to be much of an improvement unless you're trying to dig through goblinite, but even then copper picks can be scary-effective weapons.

Also, don't worry about dead creatures that aren't of your civilization's race: they won't come back as ghosts. Merchants and dwarves of other civs will, though.

My own fortress is surviving well enough, considering everyone is locked away underground, a forgotten beast showed up to stand between us and our wood supply, and the surface is still covered in zombies.

Well, other than the fact that an army of zombie hair and whatnot just showed up out of the blue, in the staircase, attacking anyone moving through it. War dogs are fighting them valiantly, but not necessarily winning. I've called in the militia and hopefully we can deal with this without many casualties.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30766 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:00 pm »

We seem to have gotten the full attention of the green tide now. A second Rifle Squad is being primed as well as a crossbow squad to supplement our other troopers who will assuredly need the backing firepower against steel geared greenskins. I also, due to a sudden attack by an orc berserker, have formed an emergency response squad to have nearby dwarves thrown into as needed. Currently a miner has been made the sergeant and is wailing on said orc while the nastier war animals descend upon- I mean trip over eachother and get webbed by the nightweavers.

EDIT:
And now the other Nightweaver has been titled, Osmasulo, Fortifiedswelters, for tearing the offending orc's head off at the shoulders.

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30767 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:36 pm »

Our wrestler training squads have been switched to melee weapon training following the death of one recruit from a fractured skull and 2 others in hospital with shattered limbs. I guess training with weapons must be safer...

It appears the legendary hammerdwarf captain of the squad believes the best way to train wrestlers was to throw them into the wall repeatedly until they learn to stop him. The squads skills were going up quickly, unfortunately not as fast as the casualty rate.
----------------------------------
"Oops"

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #30768 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:58 pm »

My only death yet by sparring was caused by one guy dodging into a murky pool, despite having adequate swimmer as natural skill... They were three Kobolds sparring in the open with wooden bola-throwers (they make great whips) by a wooden armor stand. I guess I should have really built proper barracks... ::)
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30769 on: September 09, 2013, 01:48:07 pm »

My only death yet by sparring was caused by one guy dodging into a murky pool, despite having adequate swimmer as natural skill... They were three Kobolds sparring in the open with wooden bola-throwers (they make great whips) by a wooden armor stand. I guess I should have really built proper barracks... ::)

Nah, just not place them near bodies of water. You'd be amazed at how stupid creatures with less than 3 in swimming can be when water is involved. A fall in causes stunning which with 2 (adequate) or less causes drowning until they're either out of the water or no longer stunned, which apparently is an eternity for poor lil kobolds.

I learned that from several dead adventurers...

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30770 on: September 09, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »

I tend to stay above ground as Kobolds, so pools are everywhere. It's not that smart as a playstyle, actually.
I could make flooded barracks for swimming (cross) training as well. Then everyone'd freeze because I'd elegantly (Kobold-Wise) built them above ground.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30771 on: September 09, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

I think there's a shop that allows you to train 'bolds one by one in swimming so they won't drown as soon as they accidentally step in a puddle. At least there was one last time I played Kobold Camp.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30772 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »

Yes. Said "shop" is the public fountain in this case. Actually, there are training workshops that can make you skill up all fighting/military skills as well.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30773 on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »

Wishing I could designate an area for trees to be cut as soon as they're ready, redesignating the area for cutting every couple months is a bit tiresome. Still, two tree farms means I can start making individual bedrooms soon.

Get dfhack and the autochop plugin that falconne developed from the previous getplants one (all included in LNP).

So I loaded up my fort again after a couple of days not playing. The big pasture outside the fort was looking a bit gnawed so thought I'd have a look at the health screen to check how hungry my animals were... as I was scrolling down, I was thinking "yea, this guy's shoulder has been infected for 3 years now... hm, a smashed open toe? Strange it hasn't been treated, it's been a while since my military (the first two were both militia captains) fought, let alone took any injuries that I noticed, it says it happened just a month or two ago, too... okay, what, a miner is injured too?!"

Turns out I had ignored the mayor's SOCK EXPORT PROHIBITION. I had no jail, so now several dwarves are "glad to have punishment reduced recently" even though they were "beaten recently". List of all 15 criminal cases I think this caused (removed a couple of production order violations), all beaten unless otherwise noted, along with their injuries:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that's not all:
My other legendary weaver was beaten to death! And 10 military (all non-guard) dwarves have all accused the same guard of doing it. That's some inter-service animosity right there :P.

I'm really glad I only gave the guard wood crossbows and shields, or the damage could've been much worse (well, everyone only has wooden shields, but anyway). Most beaten dwarves seem to be ecstatic, I only have 2 dwarves at "fine" due to losing a friend and witnessing death (plus miasma and stuff on both) and none worse than that.

edit: the guard that "accidentally" killed the legendary weaver has now been beaten too. His fifth toe, right foot is broken, smashed open and bruised, his head is bruised, his right upper arm is bruised, his heart is bruised, his upper body is bruised, his right kidney is bruised, his lower body is bruised, his left foot is bruised. The jails are still being dug out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:40:05 pm by Snaake »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30774 on: September 09, 2013, 07:39:40 pm »

A mountain goat was just saved from a zombie yak cow. By goblins. I thought they were supposed to be strictly evil.

Well, I guess the goat is horribly injured and will never live it's life to the fullest at this point. If another yak cow corpse doesn't get ahold of it.

That goblin siege squad is shuffling around very slowly. Almost menacingly, but I can't help but think of them as sort of our almost-saviors, for mopping up some of the undead. The dwarven caravan guards are also helping at the other end of the map.

Ignoring goblins, I finally have steel gear being produced to arm the militia. That industry alone is taking up ~75% of the workforce's time, but I consider it to be worth the effort.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30775 on: September 09, 2013, 07:42:26 pm »

Ignoring goblins, I finally have steel gear being produced to arm the militia. That industry alone is taking up ~75% of the workforce's time, but I consider it to be worth the effort.

Thing is, that should be a one-time effort, not continuous like farming or export goods: once you have full masterwork steel, you'll only need more if you expand the military.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30776 on: September 09, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

Completed a magma chute, and derived strange satisfaction from destroying corpses, old clothing, and copper armor. Oh, the hauling.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30777 on: September 09, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »

Thing is, that should be a one-time effort, not continuous like farming or export goods: once you have full masterwork steel, you'll only need more if you expand the military.

True. Gonna take ages, though, especially with the FPS I get on this machine.

Additionally, a moody engraver made a little stone figurine. At least I got a legendary engraver out of the deal.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:04:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30778 on: September 10, 2013, 01:16:01 am »

I completed my 40z level magma pump, then realized mudstone wasnt magma safe, had it confused with sandstone, so i had to deconstruct then reconstruct almost half with gabbro.  Finished that, then realized i didnt channel the space for power to transmit.  Deconstructed one at a time, got the first ten deconstructed again and rebuilt, tested, worked great.  Then a FB snuck in through a diagonal i forgot to seal.  One brave clothier managed to seal the beast below level 20 of the pump, sacrificing himself in the process.  I was able to flood the pump shaft and flood the FB out.  He destroyed a good number of pumps, but i had to deconstruct them anyway, so no whoop.  Then i opened the seal and went about closing the diagonal hole, but i guess i wasnt quick enough, because the FB came back with a vengeance, destroyed everything up to the power source before my ar hers managed to kill it.  Rebuilding now for the umpteenth time.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30779 on: September 10, 2013, 01:28:01 am »

My tongue-less 150 year old mother of 17 Militia captain just accused her superior of being a Vampire.
Trying to use her own crimes to climb the political ladder it seems. I think she will get away with some jail time. Now I just need to figure out how to get her to become a super soldier.
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 3836