Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864562 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30780 on: September 10, 2013, 01:44:17 am »

I have met my first frost giants. Evidently they don't hold up so well to webbed weapon traps, so we now have bifrost which is a first for me but it also means unpleasant things are in my future. I had to reposition the nightweavers, who while formidable against lesser foes from orcs and warlocks to goblins and kobolds, and well worth the cost to buy them they're proving to be problematic as they prevent the bladesdorfs from doing their job and the rifle dwarves aren't really skilled enough to put down a charging goblin or kobold, much less try to gun down a frost giant. The nightweavers and raptors lack the raw physical power to break their icy hide which is a major problem and only blind luck of the nightweavers making them dodge into the weapon traps killed them.

On the upside, attacks by thieves have lead to a boom in the fine silk clothing industry. I still have no idea what to make with the Bifrost right now (five bars,) but I know I feel a greater compulsion than normal to find magma and establish a great magma forge to outfit a squad of frost giant slayers.

The child Sismal has come of age and due to our need for a bone doctor and surgeon, has been sent to join the healer's guild. We have three wounded dorfs from accidents who've basically been comatose due to inability to get their injuries fully treated.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30781 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:43 am »

Datan Febmozir,  Datan Arrowrouted.

R.I.P.  You're the first migrant I saw that actually made me want to recover migrants.  As you arrived on the surface of FurnaceClans, the undead reared up and went after your party.  Instead of scattering like an idiot, you knew a child was behind you. Bolt after bolt, your poor training had never prepared you for a lone defensive stand against the undead horde, but you held on.  Then, as all looked lost, you killed the last undead directly in front of you, breaking a hole in the horde just long enough for the child to briefly escape.

I know you're busy standing on the corpses of your panicked friends as the horde continues to swarm you, but we, here, inside the safety of rock and magma, will honor your attempt to save the idiot child who instead of running away, went directly THROUGH the swarm.

Armok bless your blood.  We'll add you to the grinder later.

- The Crypt of Bone, Fortress of FurnaceClans, Founded 753.  Still alive.

(scrawled hurredly in a different ink under the beautiful calligraphy of the above)
-- Currently laughing their asses off that you couldn't SEE A HORDE OF 300+ UNDEAD STANDING AROUND ON A FLAT TUNDRA!  Here, have a slab, we're mass producing them.  Here, have a few, you sober fool.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30782 on: September 10, 2013, 04:56:15 am »

Sigh, getting it back to back.  Had an injured child that wouldn't go to the hospital and had gone from faint to pale.  So I had him deconstruct my cave in creator over the dump pit (which now has magma) after a few tries I got him to do it...

... he blew himself INTO the magma at the bottom.

Well, that's... one form of cure, I suppose.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30783 on: September 10, 2013, 05:38:08 am »

Fernsteels is down to 100 underage bratlings. One more birthday, plus nine months, and there will be another population boom. Crap.

(don't even tell me to turn the brat-cap down I'm not even really annoyed because I get to nickname the brats with numbers which is surprisingly satisfying)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30784 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:40 am »

Decided to gen a new world since a bunch of work and trade was lost with my computer restarting on me on Granite Bulwark.

Dwarf Civ: The Dwindling Axe, which incidentally isn't dwindling and moreso than usual, own the mountains. Usually there's gaps, but they appear to be doing amazingly well.

Now, given I went for a century gen, the fact that Dark Stranglers, Frogmen, and Foul Blendecs died out is a given. Stranglers and Beak Wolves tend to be all but gone by the late 30s and the latter two tend to follow in the late 40-50s, depending on proximity to enemies.

However, more startlingly, The elves and Drow are gone, leaving me with only the Gnomes and Humans to trade with besides home, as are the Orcs and Automatons, which is legitimately shocking to me since in my last two gens had them fair fairly well, if unable to leave well enough alone and constantly warring with the Frogmen and Blendecs respectively.

Warlocks and Frost Giants own the south while goblins, humans, and various human rebel and outlaw armies clash over much of the rest of the world's now unstewarded forests, marshes, jungles, and grasslands, and with their holdings unmolested for the most part now, populations must be shipped off to build new towns and fortresses to keep the home mountains from starving or worse, going sober.

This should be suitably sad due to lack of enemies. Or not. i forgot my world gen settings weren't on this install. Time to try again i guess.  :-\

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30785 on: September 10, 2013, 06:43:52 am »

Turns out I had ignored the mayor's SOCK EXPORT PROHIBITION. I had no jail, so now several dwarves are "glad to have punishment reduced recently" even though they were "beaten recently".

Wow, less than five dead from fifteen beatings? You've been lucky and/or your dwarfs' heads are well-protected.

"Beatings" are technically a lesser punishment, their insane death rate is due to the extreme bugginess of the way the central nervous system is currently modelled (very light, not-fracturing attacks can reliably cause 'bone jamming', the CNS is treated as being fused with the bone instead of protected by a liquid buffer, and any damage effect applied to a CNS part invariably causes complete and irreversible function loss of the entire organ).

Anyway, that the health screen shows no wounds on the 'major injuries' dwarfs only means that they have not been diagnosed yet. The health screen only displays _diagnosed_ wounds.
A somewhat inaccurate wound display is available by choosing the 'w'ounds display option from the unit 'v'iew (place cursor over dwarf, hit 'v' to show the dwarf, then 'w' to display colour-coded wounds) and by checking the dwarf's general information, which, in addition to thoughts and preferences also shows obvious injuries.

The accusation of the guardsdwarf who beat a 'criminal' to death is just business as usual - a beating is _intended_ to be non-fatal, a death counts as criminal dwarfslaughter (just like in the real world, a police officer tasked with bringing a prisoner to jail and only delivering them dead will have some explaining to do).

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30786 on: September 10, 2013, 07:47:22 am »

derr diury;

Fond owt wut the gren dust waz. it waz radeoactiv. tink were dying. cant b arsd to spel tings. lowng       liv     Mountainbuck.

(I was playing the FO:E mod, and my starting 7 stood outside in a cloud of radioactive dust. They actually got finished off by a robot though. But radiation poisoning is more fun to write an entry with.)
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30787 on: September 10, 2013, 09:25:35 am »

Talk about first-world dwarf problems.

Embarked on a serene biome. (Still a newbie, not ready for the hard mode embarks yet). Parked right up against a massive freshwater lake (but no aquafier). I decided to give the Min/Max "Raw materials to make my tools and ALL other points spent on bituminous coal" embark a try.

I dig in right next to the lake, figuring I can use it as a natural barrier.

Still in the early stages of my fort, I set the first soil layer or two to be dug out for farms and then send a 3x3 shaft of stairs to be dug out downwards so I can get a little stone handy and see if there are any shallow metal ores I can smelt using my handy supply of coal for some early armor/weapons.

They get 8 Z levels down and BAM, hit the first caverns. And what, pray tell, is in those first caverns? The top of a magma tube. I will be able to get magma industries built only 8 Z levels from the surface (7 technically) letting me skip the need for any kind of fuel until it comes time to make steel, thus rendering that early supply of coal somewhat meaningless.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30788 on: September 10, 2013, 09:32:43 am »

Talk about first-world dwarf problems.

Embarked on a serene biome. (Still a newbie, not ready for the hard mode embarks yet). Parked right up against a massive freshwater lake (but no aquafier). I decided to give the Min/Max "Raw materials to make my tools and ALL other points spent on bituminous coal" embark a try.

I dig in right next to the lake, figuring I can use it as a natural barrier.

Still in the early stages of my fort, I set the first soil layer or two to be dug out for farms and then send a 3x3 shaft of stairs to be dug out downwards so I can get a little stone handy and see if there are any shallow metal ores I can smelt using my handy supply of coal for some early armor/weapons.

They get 8 Z levels down and BAM, hit the first caverns. And what, pray tell, is in those first caverns? The top of a magma tube. I will be able to get magma industries built only 8 Z levels from the surface (7 technically) letting me skip the need for any kind of fuel until it comes time to make steel, thus rendering that early supply of coal somewhat meaningless.

Reminds me of an embark for a modded race I had that only had adamantine as the sole weapon metal available. 21 z's from the surface.

That was.... An odd embark.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30789 on: September 10, 2013, 04:13:02 pm »

Turns out I had ignored the mayor's SOCK EXPORT PROHIBITION. I had no jail, so now several dwarves are "glad to have punishment reduced recently" even though they were "beaten recently".

Wow, less than five dead from fifteen beatings? You've been lucky and/or your dwarfs' heads are well-protected.

"Beatings" are technically a lesser punishment, their insane death rate is due to the extreme bugginess of the way the central nervous system is currently modelled (very light, not-fracturing attacks can reliably cause 'bone jamming', the CNS is treated as being fused with the bone instead of protected by a liquid buffer, and any damage effect applied to a CNS part invariably causes complete and irreversible function loss of the entire organ).

Anyway, that the health screen shows no wounds on the 'major injuries' dwarfs only means that they have not been diagnosed yet. The health screen only displays _diagnosed_ wounds.
A somewhat inaccurate wound display is available by choosing the 'w'ounds display option from the unit 'v'iew (place cursor over dwarf, hit 'v' to show the dwarf, then 'w' to display colour-coded wounds) and by checking the dwarf's general information, which, in addition to thoughts and preferences also shows obvious injuries.

The accusation of the guardsdwarf who beat a 'criminal' to death is just business as usual - a beating is _intended_ to be non-fatal, a death counts as criminal dwarfslaughter (just like in the real world, a police officer tasked with bringing a prisoner to jail and only delivering them dead will have some explaining to do).

No special armor on the civilians. As noted, it seems my guardsmen (4 of them) didn't so much "administer beatings" as "broke some fingers/toes and threatened the other dwarves that worse would follow if they continued the ignore the boss'smayor's export prohibitions". At least for some of the "no injuries" dwarves I did check (w)ounds, but not all; some of them have since been diagnosed with some injuries. Don't feel like doing another run through of them, especially seeing as they've already partially healed by now.

In other news, my 1st and 3rd caverns are walled off, an outpost is dug out&smoothed but not yet furnished at the ground level of cavern 3, when an uninvited guest show up... in cavern 2. Which still has plenty of unwalled airspace, and I'm missing the blocks I want to wall it with. The guest is Shedim, "A great theropod with external ribs. It has feathered wings and it is ravening. Its sea green feather are long and narrow. Beware its deadly spittle". It can of course fly, but emergency wall-off procedures were cancelled since it seems to be fairly content to explore other parts of the cavern, and not my central access shaft. I did post my 2 legendary speardwarves to train a few z-levels up of the breach, though.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30790 on: September 10, 2013, 05:42:03 pm »

I didn't know you could get 10+ goblin ambushes at a time.  Currently, my fort is in a bit of shock.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30791 on: September 10, 2013, 05:50:58 pm »

The general of the goblin siege is a dwarf (with a dwarven name, even). Of course he is.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30792 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:59 pm »

KOBOLD IN THE FORT! KILL! KILL! KILL!

Ahem.....

Okay, somehow a kobold managed to slip past the guard animals at the entrance (which usually prevent them from even entering) and got discovered by a craftsdwarf who promptly got stabbed in the leg. The kobold won't get past my military of course.

There will be an investigation, and placement of some further watch animals.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30793 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:06 pm »

Revenge Tastes GREAT!

While my Rangers were complaining about how their was no prey in the swamp my fishing Dwarfs were, well, fishing.  One of them was on the other side of the river, a female Dwarf with her baby, I guess trying to find a good fishing spot.

Suddenly there was combat!  A herd of deer came into the areas and one of them attacked her BABY!  It knocked out her lower teeth!  Baby teeth all over the ground!  :(

While I was trying to figure out how to save the Dwarf and her baby who were now trapped - send out the military squad of bored rangers?  Make a bridge?  Forget them as they were just lower class Dwarfs anyway?  - the Rangers, and a few other Dwarfs who grabbed a bow, swarmed over the one bridge and attacked the deer herd.   :o

I don't think it was in defense of the female and her baby.  I think they just realized - PREY!

Within a minute, there was capital D's all over the place, with pools of blood and piles of bolts.   :P

Within a few more minutes the bolts were being recovered and deer meat was showing up in the kitchen.   :D

In real life I LOVE Hunter Stew, so I could not help but find it a tad funny.

Than a Dwarf was found in his small stone house drained of blood!

Dun-DUN-DUUUNNN!

But I don't care, because he was a Surface Dwarf - Lower Class, lives on the surface, Dwarf - so its okay!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:33:59 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30794 on: September 10, 2013, 11:28:45 pm »

Very briefly, there opened a window of opportunity; the opportunity to make for the surface and start cleaning up this abysmal mess we're in. And I took it.

It worked out great! I got a small portion of the corpses out on the surface down into the bowels of the fortress where no necromancer could ever aspire to reach, as well as a bit of the junk around my entrance area. Sadly, it was cut short by the reappearance (well, technically they were in ambush, but it was totally obvious that they were there!) of one of the necromancers, the human hunter Ago. He raised about thirty corpses in a sweeping arc from the western edge of the map, up to our entrance, and to southern edge of the map, where he seemingly vanished. The period lasted from the 15th malachite to the 21st. Slow as hell that one is. Some day, though, I will capture him. Until then, the marksdwarves will be spending a lot of time out on the balconies overlooking the landscape, shooting down at the undead.

At least nobody managed to get themselves killed!

[edit]

The situation has returned to its' usual grim self.

After the last necromancer incursion's mess was cleaned up, I let the dwarves out again to get a little more cleaning done. I sent the soldiers out to mop up the last of the undead, which they did quite valiantly, and no sooner was that complete than a goblin siege showed up. I ordered everyone back inside once more, and there they remain. Some of the soldiers came REALLY close to being shredded by the goblins because they were late to the undead-slaying party, and wouldn't turn around and go to their new station until they'd arrived at their previous objective. No casualties, though, as engagements were avoided.

Well, that is until everyone made it back inside and the gates were locked again. All three goblin squads are mounted on giant olms, you see, and one of the squad leaders' olms pathed to a door accessible through a channeled moat. I'd used that door to prevent flooding after miners opened a drain from the moat into an interior well cistern, because we needed water access underground, and then forgot about it. So I stopped everything and order walls to be built to seal off the well room in case the olm breached it, which was successful. The goblin commander drowned, of course, but the olm is still sitting there, presumably taking its' frustration out on the door, while I work on getting a mason in there to build a wall behind the door to prevent it being flooded.

The dwarf is in there about to build that wall when I notice that one of the soldiers is tantrumming. It's a raw recruit, who had never seen combat before. In fact, he was a child, recently grown into adulthood who had never seen blood in his life as far as I know. So understandably, his eagerness to prove himself to his commanding officer, a healer-mage, ensured that he was the first through the door to attack the severed and reanimated goblin head that was laying in the bottom of my trap bridge's pit scaring workers up on the bridge. He got a big, fat negative thought for being attacked by the undead and, on top of already being pissed for having been drafted and not getting to finish his breakfast and whatnot, he became rather miserable.

So he took it out on the mayor, a seven-year-old girl (desperate times call for desperate measures, so I changed the dwarf raws for this save so that my 40-odd children, half the population, will start working by the age of 4, and the game decided that noble positions can be filled by these children.) He at first just wanted to talk to her about it, or at least yell at her, but she decided it was nap time and went to take a nap. That sent him over the edge, and he went to her bedside, and brutally killed her with his axe, then fists. I watched the whole thing, but nobody could save her. My first residential death in this fortress: only merchants have died up to this point.

So now he's even more pissed off because he witnessed death. On top of that, another 7-year-old child was appointed mayor. Hmm... To lock him in the mayoral bedrooms or not...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:14:43 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 3836