Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2052 2053 [2054] 2055 2056 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788808 times)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30795 on: September 11, 2013, 08:33:30 am »

AppleBuck overseer's log;

We forgot to bring some toolboxes with us when we embarked on our journey, a robot blew up our security turrets, and our medic got eaten by a radigator. DAMMIT.

7th of Granite
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #30796 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:45 am »

I keep killing my people by dropping garbage on top of them.

By accident. 

And not in real life.

When the Fort still has that fresh peppery smell of struck flint.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30797 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:39 am »

Finally got my very first magma forge/smelter system setup! No deaths digging it out either!

Let's open this baby up and see what I can do with it.

...Open up magma smelter
The ONLY available thing is to make the 81 bitlumonous coal I embarked with into coke...I haven't hit ANY other smelt-able ore at all.
No sand anywhere on the biome so no glass.

I guess I'll do lots of pottery until I hit metal ore.

(My last three forts were LOUSY with iron ore in the first few Z levels, but decidedly lacking in easy magma or fuel)

I'm hoping to hit some iron and flux stone so I can jump right into steel since I now have a massive stockpile of coke that will never be used for fuel given the availability of magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30798 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »

11 Slate, 261 (year 10), Steelvirgin

Starting to dig out the magma forge facilities. I could afford to delay the magma facilities for a while since I had LOADS of coal on site and could easily use the refined coal.

In other news, a dog on the first level got into a fight with a troglodyte and managed to kill it, but got whomped by the next one. Also, there is apparently a GCS on the first level since I got a combat report of a GCS fighting some puppies, but it was too long ago to register as a recent announcement, plus two puppy corpses next to some GCS webs. The first cavern layer seems somewhat wilder maybe than my previous forts, then again, I'm in a savage biome.

I'm also digging out a huge central chamber for storage of the metal bars and stuff.

Edit: Just had the first FB of the fort, a great lizard with external ribs and a hunger for warm blood. I remember a recent topic somewhere that was talking about FBs having a hunger for warm blood, but I don't know where it is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:32:16 pm by smjjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30799 on: September 11, 2013, 12:49:19 pm »

Bet it just means they lost the lottery and didn't get a syndrome.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30800 on: September 11, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »

Means they're bloodsuckers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30801 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:40 pm »

So from a practical standpoint, it means they still lost the syndrome lottery.

So Granitebulwark was made aware of a critical flaw in its defensive systems, namely a planned bonfire set up to incinerate enemy archers on the other side of the river in the event it was needed was left open to the world, namely the access route to it was actually. An orc almost made off with a kid when he made the stupid mistake of trying to leave through the main entrance, where upon he walked into the bow-wielding dragon raptor who proceeded to break his legs before getting caught in the inevitable web storm from the nightweavers. A caravan guard finished the bastard off with a hammer to the dome, simply because he avoided getting hit by the initial web salvo.

This has since been rectified anyways, with lever-connected floor bars... Well, barring access to the fort. I'm sure that won't at all result in my forgetting about it and something horrible breaking in.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30802 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:56 pm »

So from a practical standpoint, it means they still lost the syndrome lottery.

Plus it's a lizard and doesn't exactly have the equipment to actually be a bloodsucker.

Currently, it's now in the second cavern level where rodentmen are mobbing it and trying to bruise it to death, the FB isn't being very effective against them either. Edit: Or not, I guess it's just being slowed down by getting dogpiled on.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:45:29 pm by smjjames »

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30803 on: September 11, 2013, 01:53:38 pm »

Wasn't sure whether HFS was immune to dragonfire and couldn't find a definitive answer on the internet.  Made a cute little tower defense setup around a pair of dragon pillboxes to check.

They are :( .

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30804 on: September 11, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »

The macedwarf (despite being legendary macedwarf&fighter?) Shem Brasscrows the Hermit of Bites is leading a biting demonstration.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30805 on: September 11, 2013, 02:05:47 pm »

Broadhead bolts are surprisingly effective against frost giants.

Sergeant Lor Blundered into one and shot it on sight, the bolt breaking the giant's arm. Also apparently Dragon Raptors, while already solid and scary foes able to beat greenskins to death with their own bows, they can also bowl over frost giants. Col. Asmel took care of it in short order though, popping himself out of the main tower and lopping the (now on it's face from a bolt shattering its left thigh) giant in half after slicing an arm off. Mithril evidently works just as well as anything else on poorly armored opponents.

He has since been put on picket duty watching the gate. they seem to frequent if last time was any indicator.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30806 on: September 11, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »

The dwarves have been having quite the laugh. After the dwarven caravan came and made it inside, a goblin siege of four mounted melee squads showed up to bugger us. before they even got five paces form the map edge, "The dead walk! Hide while you can!"

The entire map was suddenly surrounded by undead, including the poor goblins. One of the squads, being lashers, was caught right in the corner, then in a grass fire that started up when their elemental mage started flinging fireballs every which way, whilst being harassed by an endless stream of undead thanks to Ago the friendly necromancer who cropped up right next to them (note: Ago is an asshat.) The ensuing battle lasted two months, but eventually the undead were worn away and the goblins, one by one losing their leaders, retreated. Many were picked off by the undead as they fled. The remnants of the lasher squad are still sitting out there in the fields, far away form everything. I'm guessing their AI broke because their leader died and they now have no idea what to do. I can't send the militia out to remove them because they'd get their asses handed to them in a goblin's helmet, so I guess I have to sit here with a SIEGE tag for an indeterminate period. Maybe Ago or that queen consort will come back and finish them off.

Good news is the merchants' guards should be able to handle the one or two zombies hanging out near the exit, and with any luck the liaison should also escape unharmed. Bad news is that one of the goblins' squads, riding in on giant olms, was going to path through my well cistern again. One of the olms actually made it inside my fort before the leader drowned and the rest turned tail and ran. I don't think that squad took many casualties as they approached form the south, avoiding most of the zombies and the brush fire. The militia finished it off with only the loss of a war dog. I lost another war dog to some zombies that crawled out of the trap bridge pit because I forgot to lock the hatch.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30807 on: September 11, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »

measures to trap two FBs sucessful. both the deadly spittle FB and the poison gas FB got caged without serious consequences. the miner survived without exposure to gas. still one FB left, trapped by trees. since it is made of flesh instead of Gems, i think i'll kill it.

from my experiments with warm blood FBs, they only suck blood when they stab the opponent. said stab does not prevent the victim from retaliating, and it can take multiple stabs to fully drain a victim of blood.

basically, you got an FB with virtually no special talents. kill it and make roasts. it's better to trap ones that have syndromes or fire breath.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30808 on: September 11, 2013, 09:36:17 pm »

And as I said, it's a lizard, so it doesn't really have anything to stab with, unlike say a mosquito or giant tick FB.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30809 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:26 am »

I dunno how but the elves have gained my respect in Masterwork, or at least their warriors have. A speardancer and (oddly, asian nightstick-wielding but still called) a bladedancer held off a group of goblins with Blade Sergeant Kel long enough for the gate to close, and not only that, all involved besides several goblins survived, and with the exception of Kel, the elves managed to ford the river and get out of harms way while Kel (after getting shot twice) fled into the forests before picking off one of the now scattered goblins.

Seizing the initiative and taking advantage of the goblins' stupidity and their two leaders' orders to charge, the gate came up and both the lasherlord and crossbowmaster found themselves, as well as several of their subordinates, squashed to paste by the bridge. The lever was pulled by the fort's mental health consultant, meaning he just killed more goblins in one go than some of the soldiers. The closest goblins made a rush for the now-open gate, only for one to get pegged by a bulletspike from one of the rifledwarves (netting himself a broken leg) and another get shot through the rusting kettle-hat by an elf archer while the bladedancer smacked one into the stream and a nightweaver sprayed webbing every which way, resulting in several deaths and near drownings on the two nearby weapon traps.

Also, the Dragon-Raptor Deskpreist is now a lasher, as he attacked one of the less intelligent goblins, wrestled away his scourge, and proceeded to mercilessly maul its original owner with it, while a giant hunting bat tore another to shreds that passed out from trap induced injuries, earning the name of Luusotalippy, "Bonestandard" in the process. Since the goblins don't appear to be willing to back down, Col. Asmel's team has been ordered up to bring this clash to an end. So far the South Gate hold the record for "most invaders turned to house paint." I don't see that record being contested for a while after this bloodbath.

Pages: 1 ... 2052 2053 [2054] 2055 2056 ... 3835