Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2104 2105 [2106] 2107 2108 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851834 times)

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31575 on: November 19, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »

I just had a migrant wave in the end of year 1 of 34 dwarfs...20 of them children. I think somehow the mountainholm thought my forts a creche or something. To rub salt into the wound...only 1 of them is close to growing up to be a useful dwarf, all the rest are aged 9 or below. Little buggers!

Teach me to play around with the children limits on LNP to see what happens lol.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31576 on: November 19, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »

The children limits don't have any affects on migrant waves.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31577 on: November 19, 2013, 08:00:04 pm »

My mechanism stockpile dwindled from ~600 to 120, and the count of used mechanisms has reached 2600. No idea how many of those exactly are in the current project, but it's definitely more than half of them. The bulk linkages should be done, but what remains is the main fiddly stuff. Yay.

Having twelve pressure plates, each of which must be linked to the correct half of 48 hatch covers takes a lot of careful job assignments, and at just under 20 fps the jobs themselves take hours and hours. Mind, those 288 linkage jobs requiring 576 mechanisms were the majority of linkage jobs - in _that_ quarter of the whole contraption...

In other news, the old clothes situation is completely silly by now - 250 dwarfs produce insane amounts of rags. The elves left sometime in early autumn, the dwarfs by the end of Granite, just thanks to the huge bounties of xsocksx they had to pick up. If i had invaders on, i'd be below 10fps.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31578 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:49 am »

My mechanism stockpile dwindled from ~600 to 120, and the count of used mechanisms has reached 2600. No idea how many of those exactly are in the current project, but it's definitely more than half of them. The bulk linkages should be done, but what remains is the main fiddly stuff. Yay.

Having twelve pressure plates, each of which must be linked to the correct half of 48 hatch covers takes a lot of careful job assignments, and at just under 20 fps the jobs themselves take hours and hours. Mind, those 288 linkage jobs requiring 576 mechanisms were the majority of linkage jobs - in _that_ quarter of the whole contraption...

Having read your posts, I have come to the conclusion that you are in fact the avatar of the Machine Spirit.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31579 on: November 20, 2013, 04:54:38 am »

Having read your posts, I have come to the conclusion that you are in fact the avatar of the Machine Spirit.

Ghost in the Machine.... 2nd Gig.   :D

Larix is indeed a Machine Spirit... but I haven't played Shadowrun in far too long so I can't remember how to be evil and associate the stats.  >:(

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31580 on: November 20, 2013, 09:31:50 am »

It has been so long since I've had this much trouble in the caverns. Trogs, then GCS.... an orphan just died trying to recover her father's corpse....

Two Siblings remain...
Scratch that

One is left, gobblo got the older brother.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:56:24 am by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31581 on: November 20, 2013, 07:35:23 pm »

Went back to a very old fort filled with levers and a half-way competent military.

I forgot what all the levers did. I triggered one and my grand dinning hall flooded with lava. I save-scummed and wondered why I would design something like that.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31582 on: November 20, 2013, 07:38:28 pm »

Because magma?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31583 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:19 pm »

Went back to a very old fort filled with levers and a half-way competent military.

I forgot what all the levers did. I triggered one and my grand dinning hall flooded with lava. I save-scummed and wondered why I would design something like that.

Yeah this is basically DF.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31584 on: November 20, 2013, 08:17:49 pm »

I'm leaving most grown-up children as peasants (a.k.a. haulerdwarfs) because actually making new stuff other than clothes would make the fps situation completely unbearable. I sent the humans off with 250k worth of garbage, the dwarf caravan's currently busy picking up their haul of 700k (decided to dump half of my prepared meals). With both human and dwarven caravan on the map, fps oscillated between 14 and 15, with the humans gone it's up to 18ish.

Count of mechanisms in use is up to 3000, stocks have recovered to 330. I'm yet another bit closer to finishing the project, although i'm not sure how much closer ("400 mechanisms closer", obviously, but there's no saying what kind of bugs will surface in the tests which are due soon). I have enough stuff installed that switching everything on would grind my 4300 water power to a halt.

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31585 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:07 pm »

I just was messing around in an 'old' fort I  had no intention of actually playing seriously again and had a migrant wave that contained 3 legendary dwarfs. One was a miner, another a woodchopper and the final a weaponsmith. I'm happy and all..but I never knew that could happen. Also side note, the world is sitting at year 1,104 so that could be the reason, but still...free legendary skill dwarfs are cool I guess.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31586 on: November 20, 2013, 09:37:38 pm »

Egotistical dwarf is egotistical.  Pretentious, as a true artiste ought to be.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31587 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »

Something made of iron, and a good place for soldiers (or gobbos) to stick weapons?
Yeah, it's egotistical, but it's also poking fun at himself if you consider the pincushion aspect of that.

Either that, or you must put him through some supersoldier training and arm him with 8 or so steel picks.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #31588 on: November 21, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »

I just was messing around in an 'old' fort I  had no intention of actually playing seriously again and had a migrant wave that contained 3 legendary dwarfs. One was a miner, another a woodchopper and the final a weaponsmith. I'm happy and all..but I never knew that could happen. Also side note, the world is sitting at year 1,104 so that could be the reason, but still...free legendary skill dwarfs are cool I guess.

Wait until you get the Legendary Crutchwalker. Those are terribly useful...

Addendum:

What is going on in my fort? I am exporting low-quality WMD to everyone who comes to trade.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:53:59 pm by LoneChipmunk »
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31589 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »

Wait until you get the Legendary Crutchwalker. Those are terribly useful...

Addendum:

What is going on in my fort? I am exporting low-quality WMD to everyone who comes to trade.

Elaborate...

In the greatest detail, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 2104 2105 [2106] 2107 2108 ... 3836