Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2152 2153 [2154] 2155 2156 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5846396 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32295 on: January 19, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »

Also, the track appears to be invisibly filled with... something. Whatever it is, it jams open doors and makes dwarves crawl.

DF dark matter!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32296 on: January 19, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »

Also, the track appears to be invisibly filled with... something. Whatever it is, it jams open doors and makes dwarves crawl.

DF dark matter!

Pfff, maybe.

Laborfords
17th Opal, 209

I've cage trapped and subsequently deposited an entire conga line of naked mole dogs in a holding cell, as well as a giant rat. I seem to recall that keeping wild animals on your map like this prevents other, potentially worse creatures from spawning... is this correct? I want to wall off the caverns, and I want to minimize dangers.

Edit, 13th Malachite 210:

First cavern walled off! :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:44:51 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32297 on: January 19, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »

"Wandering" critters that are unrestrained will prevent others from entering the map. I think this applies to all wandering areas separately - surface critters block other surface critters and presumably critters from cavern one other cavern-one creatures. I've only really observed it with surface creatures, though.

In one case, i had dumped a few winged animalmen down a chute closed with a locked hatch and they just hovered under the hatch forever. Nothing new spawned on the surface, which served me fine, i disliked the mess that always generated in my dozens of weapon traps.

Year twenty-five in Ustanoddom, "Blamelesscloister" the shining transparent fort on the glacier. A mere three children were born last year, population's at 61; still nineteen to go until we can get sieges. At the current rate, that's between six and seven years. Minecart collisions are on the way to overtake large serrated discs in the leading causes of death among local goblins. No goblin so far has made it past the third cart. In fact, only one has made it _to_ the third cart out of six. The second cart in line has scored 19 kills so far. The primary cart, dubbed Christine, a masterwork nickel silver minecart, now loaded with five native gold boulders for an in-operation weight of ten tons instead of the empty quarter ton, has soared to an impressive 85.

Thanks to the restructuring of defences, much fewer goblins get captured, so i decided to no longer keep them all stuffed into a single aquarium (which didn't work properly in a glacier, all the water put inside freezes into loose ice) and set up a proper red-cross approved goblin prison:

Below the fully occupied cells, above the buildings included.

- solitary confinement is a kind of torture, thus should be avoided. These are communal cells holding ten prisoners.
- basic amenities are provided. Each prisoner has access to a bed and to a chair with adjacent table.
- prisoners are kept safely away from harm. The cells are far out of range of trigger-happy caravan guards and the steel door allowing access is opened via a lever in the ducal rooms, and the lever is personalised so that only the fort's own military officers may use it.

Unfortunately, cultural taboos prevent dwarfs from offering and goblins from accepting medical assistance. One prisoner has died from infection after injuries suffered in our traps. Another prisoner is missing a leg (well, _he_ may be missing it, we know exactly where it is) but refuses treatment.

One cell has a holding capacity of ten, a full block of forty prisoners. Currently, i've only filled one block and one cell. We have fifty-three prisoners.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32298 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:09 pm »

Using a middling e-machine for entertainment while my proper rig is in the shop for repairs, I have resolved I must go out of my way to massacre all who come with pointy ears: Goblins for obvious reasons (they're idiots; I don't care if they're baby stealing morons who want to raise my booze and food sponges for me,) and elves for their tree humpery and just because I don't like DF elves in general unless I'm in desperate need for supplies.

Time to tame the swamps of the midlands, and hope there's more than copper here. Let all knife-ears fear the name of uh... Necroclasps? Well, that's a different name but I guess it works for intimidation.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32299 on: January 19, 2014, 11:02:46 pm »

The ongoing saga of Onget Beaktrades...

A troll attacks and wounds her in 58. In 104 she turns up at Chuckbolt with busted throat and eyelids and everything else yellow. Over the next few months she heals and has a baby.

A goblin steals the baby and Onget empties a full quiver of iron bolts into it. Tears the goblin apart and runs out of ammo, leaving him to bleed to death.

She then leaves the 3-month old outside to fend for itself while she cleans the blood off. Baby crawls back through the corpse-pile, into the fortress.

About a year later she's called down to the shooting platform to take pot shots at an FB hanging around the caverns. She gets the fatal shot. The platform is 3 levels up and the beast is about 12-15 tiles away in each x/y direction, but Onget manages to get some blood on her. She's now in hospital with a rotting finger, every now and then covering her kid with a cloud of miasma.

Can't wait to see what happens next!
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32300 on: January 19, 2014, 11:58:02 pm »

Well, in a recent migrant wave, I got a vampire, so I decided to mess around with it by pitting it with some stripped captives, got 'doesn't care about anything anymore' as a bonus. Since she had injured her finger and I left her in the pit area (actually the live firing range which can double as a pit) for a while before I remembered to let her out, instead of getting the armor like I had planned on her doing, she instead went to rest.

However, somewhere in the proccess, she got glitched and is in permanent rest while various dwarfs try to do surgery and fail (but get xp). So.... I've now got a harmless bloodsucker and a free skill/attribute training machine. What seems to be happening is that they are trying to repair the skin and nail, but failing to do so each time.

Also, a while back, most of my military got hit by one of those FB rot syndromes which made them lose their vision. When I've had that happen to my military, they usually heal and restore their vision with time, but it's been over a year, two years I think by now and their vision hasn't restored. Their wounds (more like scars I guess) are still yellow and some browns, so I think the blindness is permanent. However, they are still very effective soldiers. Might make them into a ballistia brigade at some point.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:07:56 am by smjjames »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32301 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:14 am »

Relicshield, pop. 157, Mid-Spring of 349 (Year 98)

The wall and archery tower project has finally been completed.  There are now archery towers guarding the entrances to the underground trade network, with an extra tower at each of the cardinal directions, for a total of 16.  All the towers are connected by a wall set with fortifications.  With 70 reservists on-call from the civilian populace, the towers and wall are patrolled by ~35 marksdwarves at any given time.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:35:26 am by VerdantSF »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32302 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:27 am »

Well, in a recent migrant wave, I got a vampire, so I decided to mess around with it by pitting it with some stripped captives, got 'doesn't care about anything anymore' as a bonus. Since she had injured her finger and I left her in the pit area (actually the live firing range which can double as a pit) for a while before I remembered to let her out, instead of getting the armor like I had planned on her doing, she instead went to rest.

However, somewhere in the proccess, she got glitched and is in permanent rest while various dwarfs try to do surgery and fail (but get xp). So.... I've now got a harmless bloodsucker and a free skill/attribute training machine. What seems to be happening is that they are trying to repair the skin and nail, but failing to do so each time.

Update to this, the vampire decided he was healed enough to stop resting, although, can vampires die of infection? Anyhow, I think he might be about to go for a blood meal, or soon. Gonna go ahead with the origional plan.

Edit: Just noticed he has dabbling biter among his skills.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32303 on: January 20, 2014, 02:20:01 pm »

Laborfords
16th Hematite, 212

JEEZ, IT TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32304 on: January 20, 2014, 02:23:05 pm »

Laborfords
16th Hematite, 212

Spoon!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32305 on: January 20, 2014, 02:25:32 pm »

Laborfords
16th Hematite, 212

I can imagine how the FB would respond to that.
"QUAKE IN TERROR, FOOLISH DWARVES, FOR I, THUDEL TAKSMOOSMAN, HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE EARTH!"
"Took ya long enough. We've been sitting e're for ages, and you haven't turned up."
"But...I'm here to kill you and consume your immortal soul!"
"You and thousands of others. Now c'mon, let's got this over with. Just go ahead and jump up and down a few times on that spike pit."
*sigh* "Alright, fine."
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32306 on: January 20, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »

Laborfords
16th Hematite, 212

I can imagine how the FB would respond to that.
"QUAKE IN TERROR, FOOLISH DWARVES, FOR I, THUDEL TAKSMOOSMAN, HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE EARTH!"
"Took ya long enough. We've been sitting e're for ages, and you haven't turned up."
"But...I'm here to kill you and consume your immortal soul!"
"You and thousands of others. Now c'mon, let's got this over with. Just go ahead and jump up and down a few times on that spike pit."
*sigh* "Alright, fine."

-quietly expires of laughter-

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32307 on: January 20, 2014, 04:38:20 pm »

I locked about 200 children in a kindergarten with complete minecart supply, but it has unexpected consequences. One child is three years old and he managed to find 8 grudges.  :o

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32308 on: January 20, 2014, 06:31:08 pm »

Laborfords
8th Malachite, 213

Oopsies! :D

I just hope he-- wait, duh, I can make a butcher's shop right next to him. FORGOTTEN BEAST MEAT FOR EVERYOOOOOOOONE

Edit, 12th Malachite:
259 units of meat, 5 units of brain, 17 units of intestines, 2 units of heart, 3 eyes (we knew that already), and 22 units of fat. Also a single unit of chitin.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:35:05 pm by Lielac »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32309 on: January 20, 2014, 06:33:00 pm »

make a butcher's shop right next to him

I find myself doing this a lot. Hunter shoots a beastie full of holes, said beastie expires AFTER the hunter has Canceled hunt: out of ammunition. The huntard doesn't even turn around to see whether or not the damn thing died. So far I've had to build two or three shops outside the walls: one for a rhino and another for an elephant.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2152 2153 [2154] 2155 2156 ... 3836