Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2158 2159 [2160] 2161 2162 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787739 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32385 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:38 pm »

Can't I tame it or something?

If you can cage it, certainly, but it'll take some time for it to become used to dorfs (that is to say it'll take a lot of work to keep it from freaking out.) Killing it with the miners/woodcutters is probably the quicker solution regardless though.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32386 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:39 pm »

Can't I tame it or something?

Capybaras can be tamed, and they are actually pretty big; 3/4ths the size of a dwarf.

Just remember that they are grazers, and will need a pasture. They need about the same space as sheep do.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32387 on: January 22, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »

Laborfords
25th Malachite, 220

Hell yes.

This is actually the 39th artifact in the fortress, but it's the only one I actually care about.

In non-fort news, my feline master is curled up on my lap purring vigorously and occasionally rearing up to knead her paws on my chest.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32388 on: January 23, 2014, 12:30:41 am »

I'm pondering the best method to roof over the entire world.

I believe bridge construction will probably be better than trying to construct that many floors, and I'll have to use bridges for the edge, so it seems I'll need a pattern that can cover an entire 3x3 embark without any gaps or other issues. The bridges will need to be based on floors so there will be a lot of floor-constructing going on. Access and defense will probably not immediately be a problem. I'll designate a workzone by burrow control to prevent dwarves from heading up on top when the gas clouds are drifting close.

I have a tower above the surface that I built for the magma landmine system. It should work as a good base for the pattern once I figure out how that's going to work.

I think the master touch will be to hook up every bridge to one lever, so I can toggle my world-roof. :3
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32389 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:24 am »

Blamelesscloister has survived thirty years, sitting on a glacier bordering on a taiga.

Love that fort name.  I can just imagine whenever dwarf-driven tragedy strikes, all of them just shrug and say, "not my fault!"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32390 on: January 23, 2014, 03:25:01 am »

I prefer to think of it as "without blemish, without anything to be ashamed of". But hey, that works, too. It _really_ wasn't our fault the liaison insisted on walking into the grinder.

Honestly, the pathing of friendly units is just awful - when a path into danger is blocked, they'll still walk up right to the locked door and bump their heads against it before re-pathing. And if there's an alternative way to the spot just behind the door (especially if that path leads right through the danger the locked door is supposed to keep them safe of), their re-pathed algorithm will lead them through a huge detour just to get to that spot. They must be forcefully prevented from suicide.

I've tried out the glitched contact-free minecart grinder and that one works very nicely, too. Took care of five forgotten beasts.

Design, seen from the side:

Code: [Select]
#.._R#
#▲▲#
#_#
###

# = wall
. = open air
▲ = track ramp, upwards, bottom is solid floor
_ = plain floor, _not_ track. Can be smoothed or rough.
R = Roller pushing west

It uses the "minecart collision through solid floor" bug to pummel anything passing through the corridor below without putting any buildings in hazard. The double-ramped pit makes use of the ramp bugs to lift the cart back out of the hole and out east onto the roller, which pushes it back west. The non-track floor just east and up from the pit makes use of the oddity that carts coming from a non-track tile will jump over pits with track ramps just like over ordinary holes in the floor. Thus, the cart flies over the pit, collides with the wall and _falls_ into the pit. The fall triggers the indirect collision bug. I have ten of these in a row, consuming a pitiful twenty power - a lowest-power windmill could run a seven-roller array, which should already horribly murder anything smaller than an ogre. It delivers one beat per twenty-two game steps. I'm using copper minecarts, which are probably better than wooden ones, but a fleshy or gem-ish forgotten beast can take two or three pages of hits to go down, flimsier types expectedly get one-shotted.

In other news, most of the recent goblin-and-troll siege got bridge-crushed out of existence, but four stragglers are sitting around immobile doing absolutely nothing. That's the downside of this type of defence - goblins don't realise their squad is decimated and won't flee, but won't advance either, because they wait for pathing advice from their no longer extant squad leaders and mates. Even getting hit with a ballista arrow doesn't trigger the flight reflex.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:29:47 am by Larix »

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32391 on: January 23, 2014, 03:44:01 am »

I deleted all the grazer tags in my raws so I didn't need to make seige-proof pastures. I'll try and cage it; I'll find something to do with it.
EDIT: Nevermind; apparently someone killed it while I wasn't looking. Dammit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:49:15 am by 20firebird »
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32392 on: January 23, 2014, 06:16:22 am »

Laborfords
Early spring 221

A year ago the first native-born couple married, and on Opal 7th their child was born. Only now did I realize that 2201107 Basementinsight is the first ever second-generation native born to one of my forts.

Her name is Sarvesh. She is special, she is a first, and so she will be granted her name, although she will still not have her number removed until she comes of age.

Also, she has an uncle who's three months younger than her. Goddammit, Minkot, your kids are like half the fort by now.

Sarvesh's stats:

Also, 12th of Felsite is when the twins grow up.

Edit: Nope, Minkot Abyssink's children are only a quarter of the fort. The ones that are here, anyway. She has 14 who didn't migrate over and 34 total. And she's 125, so she'll be popping out childers for a while yet. DWARVES NEED MENOPAUSE
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:29:29 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32393 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:13 am »

Lielac, why is it that whenever I see you've posted here I know I'm going to get a hearty chuckle, as opposed to my standard half-arsed grin?

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32394 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:42 am »

My fort has grown quickly.  It is finishing year two, I have a booming clothing industry which can easily allow me to buy the goods I need from the caravans.  I am planning on expanding it still futher.

I have steadily smelting steel and iron.  The steel is being made into plate mail, while the iron is being made into chain mail.  My military is limited to two squads, one of marksdwarves, and one of melee dwarves with a mix of weapons.  To date, they have dealt with one weregopher, a few kobolds and lone snatchers, and one raid.  The raid was very quickly dealt with.

I am resisting expanding too fast, since I do not want to spark sieges jsut yet.  The fortress largely consists of Keep that is slowly being build in the middle of a lightly-forested plain, with water nearby.  I have dug to the magma sea as well.  Smelting and forging revolves around weapons and armour.  Once I am content with my weaponry, I might consider luxury items.

I did break into the caverns, once deliberatley, and twice accidentially.  The two lower caverns are walled off.  I had staircases that opened into the upper cavern for a while, but then a flying forgotten beast was able to penetrate my fort.  According to the combat reports, he was torn to pieces by the combined efforts of my two squads, and assorted wardogs.  There were a number of injuries, including some lost limbs, but it looks like my entire military survived.

I have one vampire.  He is locked in a room, and serves as a book keeper.  I am assuming he shouts the current fortress status through the door.

Next steps will include digging out quarters for my smelting and forging crew in the bowels of the fortress, putting together another military squad, and builidng some sharp-shooting towers for the inevitable siege.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32395 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »

Laborfords
Early spring 221

A year ago the first native-born couple married, and on Opal 7th their child was born. Only now did I realize that 2201107 Basementinsight is the first ever second-generation native born to one of my forts.

Such a good feeling, isn't it :).  Grats!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32396 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:58 pm »

Finished casting a 15-z 55-radius obsidian plug extending from below the first cavern layer to just under the surface.  Now begins the process of designing the fort to fit into that, including water and magma levels.  And then moving everyone.  I realized after the fact that by collapsing the surface layer it's all aboveground/light/outside.

So far the biggest threat has been a deadly-dust spewing FB that killed eight of my elite military (in hindsight I should have stuck with just markdwarves to kill it).
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32397 on: January 23, 2014, 04:06:34 pm »

Speaking of FBs, I have 8 of them wandering around in the caverns that I need to get rid of. One has a poisonous sting, two are spitters, two are firebreathers/spitters, one has noxious secretions of the liquid type (or powder? It's left numerous trails of it in the water), one has poisonous gas, and the last one has deadly dust.

The more dangerous of the group are in the third cavern level, so I'm dealing with the ones in the first cavern level with melee.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32398 on: January 23, 2014, 04:35:42 pm »

In dozens of world gens I still haven't gotten a dragon to survive 1000+ years to be full grown and egg laying  :(

Finished casting a 15-z 55-radius obsidian plug extending from below the first cavern layer to just under the surface.  Now begins the process of designing the fort to fit into that, including water and magma levels.  And then moving everyone.  I realized after the fact that by collapsing the surface layer it's all aboveground/light/outside.

So far the biggest threat has been a deadly-dust spewing FB that killed eight of my elite military (in hindsight I should have stuck with just markdwarves to kill it).

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32399 on: January 23, 2014, 05:22:01 pm »

Lielac, why is it that whenever I see you've posted here I know I'm going to get a hearty chuckle, as opposed to my standard half-arsed grin?

I have no idea, but thanks! :D

Laborfords
Early spring 221

Such a good feeling, isn't it :).  Grats!

Sarvesh is definitely going to be coddled and treated like a queen.

Also, I'm going to shamelessly rip off your full-name-replacement thing and see what matrilineal lines I get. 20 Abyssinks...

Pages: 1 ... 2158 2159 [2160] 2161 2162 ... 3835