Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2165 2166 [2167] 2168 2169 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853504 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32490 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:56 pm »

What are you going to do with all the bodies? And all the loose teeth?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of my fort is idle for the festivities, so hauling after a match or two is quick :D.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32491 on: January 26, 2014, 07:23:37 pm »

FurnaceClans has... MERCHANTS! 

How did they make it past the zombies? Brute force, or did you clear them out ahead of time?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32492 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41:13 pm »

In a minecart accident, one of the wounded dwarfs (there were three wounded and one dead; clearly, i'm getting dangerously good at limiting damage in those events) was a child who was "very slow to heal" and needed to be put in traction. That resulted in a total of 25 diagnosis jobs, over ten of them taken by the same dwarf.

I still don't have anyone with novice or better diagnoser skill.
Seems that having dwarfs with notable medical skills is the mark of monstrously incompetent and/or uncaring overseers.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32493 on: January 26, 2014, 07:52:15 pm »

Wow, itg!  How did you manage that?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32494 on: January 26, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »

I think he had a chamber where dwarves can attain non fatal but deliberating injuries so his medical staff get plenty of training.

personally, i would just use a 3z lvl shaft.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32495 on: January 26, 2014, 08:04:20 pm »

Wow, itg!  How did you manage that?

Time, mostly. This guy has been my chief medical dwarf for almost 120 years. Yeah, he'll die of old age pretty soon. He got good at surgery because I had a syndrome which caused rotting tissue that couldn't be removed (maybe another healthcare bug?). That didn't stop him from trying, though, so he got in hundreds of surgical operations on only a few dwarves. The rest of the skills he got the old-fashioned way, mainly from construction accidents and shots from elite goblin crossbowmen. I never injured any dwarves deliberately (excepting the "special" forces), but I often take shortcuts when (de)constructing or mining that cause a lot of non-lethal injuries.

Edit: I think that puts me squarely in the "monstrously uncaring" category.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32496 on: January 26, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »

Impressive!

I often take shortcuts when (de)constructing or mining that cause a lot of non-lethal injuries.

Whenever I do that, the RNG gifts me with deaths :(.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32497 on: January 26, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »

~Dawntrades~

Two elven ambushes. I had no idea we were at war with those treehuggers!
From 53 citizens down to 48. Thankfully the starting seven weren't conscripted (duh, I was the drafter...)
We eventually made them flee, but now... Now we dig further in, we build up mighty defences against the onslaught, and maybe even see peace in the future. The caverns have been breached, and therein lie either our salvation or our doom... the mighty Cave Skythes.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32498 on: January 26, 2014, 09:54:10 pm »

The caverns have been breached, and therein lie either our salvation or our doom... the mighty Cave Skythes.

What stats did you give the skythes?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32499 on: January 26, 2014, 10:03:25 pm »

The caverns have been breached, and therein lie either our salvation or our doom... the mighty Cave Skythes.

What stats did you give the skythes?

Uhh, these ones.

Yay, direct (partial) RAW copy!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32500 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:13 pm »

Uhh, these ones.

Looks cool!

Relicshield, pop. 150, Mid-Summer of 351 (Year 100)

As plans proceeded for the next Centennial celebration match in the arena, an unwelcome visitor popped up. 

Not so shrewd, shrew, ambushing members of the West Watch, one of Relicshield's elite squads!  The fighting was over quickly, with one of the younger soldiers dealing the killing blow.  At only 33 years of age, swordsdwarf Goden Bustcrystals has quite a future ahead of him.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32501 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:41 pm »

How did they make it past the zombies? Brute force, or did you clear them out ahead of time?

Ah, you haven't seen 17.  Cleared them out and setup a protected entryway.  They came in during a massive Goblin Ambush and never saw trouble.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32502 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:12 pm »

~Dawntrade~ (I've been misnaming my fort the whole time  ::))

Snatchers have been slowly chipping away at our juvenile numbers, and an elven thief stole The Maroon Worry, our second artifact.

Despite all our hopes, Cave Skythes have not shown their faces in our cavern. Planning to initiate a feline/canine scouting party.

Migrants arrived for whatever reason only they can fathom. Welcome to hell, 18SLA63 wave. Thanks for the skilled workers.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:50:58 pm by Lolfail0009 »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32503 on: January 26, 2014, 10:52:03 pm »

Ah, you haven't seen 17.  Cleared them out and setup a protected entryway.  They came in during a massive Goblin Ambush and never saw trouble.

Hmm. So even if bait animals don't always work for zombies, they still work for goblins.

I got my first on-fire dwarf today. A forgotten beast had pathed into my fort, and I saw it at the meeting hall. No announcements, it was just a lame mosquito beast that wasn't actually attacking anything. Lots of kill-raise-kill-raise happened, but nothing serious. When we finally dumped it, I had put the dump spot at "sea level" so the magma mist got her.

Note: Do NOT assign dumping tasks to mothers. The mother takes 1 step, then her 4 kids rush to block the path. Carrying a beast and a baby is weight enough...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32504 on: January 26, 2014, 11:03:12 pm »

Note: Do NOT assign dumping tasks to mothers. The mother takes 1 step, then her 4 kids rush to block the path. Carrying a beast and a baby is weight enough...

If you use a "kindergarten" burrow, you can keep the kids out of the way and safe from snatchers.
Pages: 1 ... 2165 2166 [2167] 2168 2169 ... 3836