Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788964 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32760 on: February 01, 2014, 03:51:56 pm »

Edit, Galena: I should really sleep, I'm adding dead dwarves to the "children" and "unpaired adults" columns in my spreadsheet and getting emotional
I don't feel anything when my dwarves die. Am I a soulless monster?

Probably not, it's hilarious when the less important beards die. Although I got quite sad when I accidentally cooked my favorite miner. And her husband.
What's even less hilarious is when you just cook the wife and the miner goes berserk and kills everyone in the fortress...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32761 on: February 01, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »

Edit, Galena: I should really sleep, I'm adding dead dwarves to the "children" and "unpaired adults" columns in my spreadsheet and getting emotional
I don't feel anything when my dwarves die. Am I a soulless monster?

Yes.

But as various responses show, you're not alone. And it could be worse, although i'm not sure how; just going by the general rule of thumb that there's always room for worsening.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32762 on: February 01, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »

I usually end up attached to certain dwarves, and feel a few sads when one dies... but not when my useless glazier O7 dwarf got snatched by a fell militia dwarf and turned into a dwarf bone scepter. That was just funny. Militia guy was upset because he had no greaves to wear.

Meanwhile, in my fortress, I'm trying to dig out my initial ramps from the surface down through the cave on the surface, and keep everyone happy enough to not kill each other yet. Kind of hard when a goblin kidnapper took off with the recently migrated and only kid so far. More concerned with getting underground and safe, and but spoiling my grand vision with a bunch of unneeded construction.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:27:31 pm by Lich180 »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32763 on: February 01, 2014, 04:27:39 pm »

Playing the "PUT YOUR HELMETS ON" military equipment bug dance.

Also playing the "why are you sitting in the statue gardens saying "I have no activity!" when the rest of your squad is training just fine" game.

I really hope next version has a better-functioning system that doesn't require me to do these things.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32764 on: February 01, 2014, 05:10:07 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 140, Late Summer of 355 (Year 104)

The fortress welcomed Vutok II Channelelder, the first baby born since the first Centennial.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32765 on: February 01, 2014, 05:50:01 pm »

Congratulations on the lovely boy with double-braided moustache and long beard!

Inktrail is sitting at 15 people with only the elven caravans still coming. No liaison or migrants in years. All married couples are either half (as in one or the other) or both dead, and so far, I've had nothing more than passing acquaintances. Do widows eventually remarry? Any tips on getting people to marry given a low population in the fort?

I'm back at the point where people aren't burying dead bodies again. I don't get it, but luckily my ghosts weren't too violent, just possessing one child a few times before slabs were engraved. I wish turning off item hauling would stop dwarves from picking up equipment or storing items in bins.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32766 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:05 pm »

Inktrail is sitting at 15 people with only the elven caravans still coming. No liaison or migrants in years. All married couples are either half (as in one or the other) or both dead, and so far, I've had nothing more than passing acquaintances. Do widows eventually remarry? Any tips on getting people to marry given a low population in the fort?

I'm back at the point where people aren't burying dead bodies again. I don't get it, but luckily my ghosts weren't too violent, just possessing one child a few times before slabs were engraved. I wish turning off item hauling would stop dwarves from picking up equipment or storing items in bins.

Dwarves only marry once unless you find a way to intervene. I think there's a script laying around my inbox somewhere that can force divorces or marriages.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32767 on: February 01, 2014, 06:36:28 pm »

Thanks!  Soon after I got my first 5th generation dwarf, Lolor IV Claspletter :).

Dwarves only marry once unless you find a way to intervene. I think there's a script laying around my inbox somewhere that can force divorces or marriages.

Oooooooh, I need to look into that!

*Edit*

Urdim Channeltree's widow, Meng, gave birth to a baby boy 7 months after her husband's death!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:00:56 pm by VerdantSF »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32768 on: February 01, 2014, 07:15:50 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

A slightly better representation from the gobbos this time around, their first siege was all of one squad.  This time they brought two!  And some blizzard men, for some reason.

Come at us bros!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32769 on: February 01, 2014, 07:28:49 pm »

What happened to his squadmates?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32770 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »

They were derping around and running around in circles back at the entrance to the depot road for some reason - they got a little way down the hall, then turned around and went back outside, leaving their leader to charge ahead alone.

They then quietly drifted off the map after he died, haha, and then all I had to do was clean up the blizzard men.  Suffered a broken ankle and a broken shoulder/wrist combo on two dumb marksdwarves who thought their crossbows were hammers, but otherwise it wrapped up fairly uneventfully.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32771 on: February 01, 2014, 08:05:59 pm »

"We're right behind you, boss!"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32772 on: February 01, 2014, 08:23:15 pm »

Ok people. Yes, you are hungry. Yes, you've been working hard. Yes, you deserve a meal. But there's something more important you should be doing now.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32773 on: February 01, 2014, 08:33:37 pm »

Ok people. Yes, you are hungry. Yes, you've been working hard. Yes, you deserve a meal. But there's something more important you should be doing now.

Running for their lives before dying in a horrible fire? XD

That's hysterical.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32774 on: February 01, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »

First siege came in Spring of the third year. I've deliberately put off building any bridges to make things more interesting so I was relying entirely on constructed wall line-of-sight to keep my dwarves out of bowshot. Which I got badly wrong and ended up with a marksdwarf lying on the ground being repeatedly shot, Full Metal Jacket-style, in full view of her comrades.

I figured real dwarves would just charge at this point so I let 'em go, they saved the marksdwarf, but the Grand Master militia captain was a little too eager to bash goblins with his crossbow and caught an iron arrow in the head. That means the average life expectancy for a marksdwarf captain is a little over 12 months. Troll-killer Tun MoistnessClasps is up next, I hope she can last longer. Fixing the ammo situation would probably be a good place to start.

Also, artifacts so far: an earring, a ring, and now a barrel. Guess this is the law of averages after getting an adamantine short sword in my last fort :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:08:16 pm by fortydayweekend »
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Pages: 1 ... 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 ... 3835