Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5867478 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33960 on: April 05, 2014, 01:49:46 am »

FPS is already too low for me. Not sure what to do >.<

Atom-smash everything that is not of use.

Seal off parts of the fort that will not be used.

Turn off temperature.

Clean the map of blood and other contaminants.

Wiki link for framerate tips.

Maybe

Can't

Can't (Magma is going to be a major part of my fort)

Done
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:51:31 am by bennerman »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33961 on: April 05, 2014, 10:14:33 am »

Why won't my miners dig out the obsidian?
I have temperature on, so it shouldn't be an issue.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33962 on: April 05, 2014, 11:36:11 am »

I think you have to wait a couple of days/weeks for it to cool down enough

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33963 on: April 05, 2014, 12:45:52 pm »

One of my soldiers got a title - The Scandalous Mother.
It's a guy who has no wife.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33964 on: April 05, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

Is he pregnant? That'd be scandalous

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33965 on: April 05, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »

Why won't my miners dig out the obsidian?
I have temperature on, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Do they have a path to the designations? Triple-check! (No, seriously, triple-check. I was the victim of running around like a fool for 12 minutes over a simple "is it fREAKING PLUGGED IN" issue in meatspace; don't repeat my mistakes in a different format. Check for picks, check for pathing issues, check for labors actually being active, check for dwarves being far too busy.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:07:51 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33966 on: April 05, 2014, 01:15:28 pm »

There are many idle miners in my fort. And I checked, the connections are all there and all miners have picks.
I know it's connected to my fort since it's connected to my secondary stairwell, the cavern-piercer, and the caverns are in full access.

EDIT: Somewhat irrelevant, but someone got possessed and is going to make some sort of artifact cut gem. Wow. This will probably be mostly useless.
EDIT2: Since that last update was a bit after it happened, it was a perfect rhodolite that menaces with spikes of rhodolite.
This. Is. Absolutely. Useless.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33967 on: April 05, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »

This is monumental enough to deserve a new post.
After dealing with ONE forgotten beast, a second one came along.
Seriously, they came really close together.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33968 on: April 05, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »

Anyone know if theres a way to turn temperature on and off in dfhack so I don't have to save, close, open, load every time I want to toggle temperature?

zumzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33969 on: April 05, 2014, 02:57:19 pm »

Just lost my second fort to the same evil Human Siege Operator Necromancer. She arrived with her army of undead (100+), surrounding the fortress walls with the stench of her walking dead.

We were off to a great start. I embarked with a band of proficient teachers and soldiers (dodging, kicking, striking, etc.) as I knew the threat of an undead siege was imminent. We embarked maybe 10 tiles away from the previous fortress that fell to this same Necromancer. The goal was to arrive prepared for battle (or at least the ability to defend the fortress). The military got a little chaotic after we kept receiving large migrant waves. At around 100 dwarves, the fortress was abuzz. Metal and sand industries churned out fine weapons, armor, and furniture. The beginnings of a cave spider silk industry was in place. The fortress was accessibly only by the main gate (with retractable draw bridge and dodge'm cliffs) and a service bridge on the main walls to allow woodworkers access to trees.

Lesson learned? Know which levers are which. I forgot which lever shut the service bridge. All of a sudden, the 100+ undead are all making a beeline toward this single door. Once they were inside, the blood of my dwarves flooded the aqueduct.

!FUN!

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33970 on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »

So wait... you lost two forts to the same forces with the same necromancer "general"? Did your recognize any of your dwarves from the first fort in his legion?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33971 on: April 05, 2014, 03:16:27 pm »

If you use DFhack for anything, use it to name buildings. Also minimize the levers you have.
My main fort has four - two control the drawbridges outside, and two control the drawbridges that keep demons out of the place.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33972 on: April 05, 2014, 04:00:51 pm »

Wahaha, I just found out what happens when you accidentally have two versions of two different files.
I was editing the metals and the ore files and they autosaved on different documents, making for some really funny stuff. The game thinks stone and metal are the same thing, so I'm running about with a porcelain scimitar, which is as useful as you'd think.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #33973 on: April 05, 2014, 04:34:18 pm »

A kidnapper attacked a child who'd followed her mother outside and was standing around near the map edge. What was she doing out there, anyway?

Spoiler: Oh, right (click to show/hide)

He was brave but foolhardy. He'd gone one tile before "One-Shot" Bondemaw put a ☼jabberer bone arrow☼ in his leg, and he managed to make it one more before Pambo Watakata cut his head off with a dark tone glaive.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33974 on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:54 pm »

Gunna ask this in the official thread but does anyone know how to get more warlocks?

Can I add a reaction to a workshop? 2 is not enough to keep all my skeletons in line
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 3836