Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2269 2270 [2271] 2272 2273 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864370 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34050 on: April 08, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »

I've done it with both CREATURE_STANDARD and ENTITY_DEFAULT - the first one caused there to be giant toads as a race, and the second seemed to do nothing.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34051 on: April 08, 2014, 06:56:41 pm »

Did some testing on using cats for magma flow regulation. Works, if not quite as well as I'd hoped when I got this new idea (cats) to make an old idea work (a sequence of doors to control the filling of a magma trench with minecarts).

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34052 on: April 08, 2014, 06:58:23 pm »

Currently modding in guns and bullets.
Since my race is awesome, they will be our signature weapons.
Angels shooting elves with pistols and sniper rifles.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34053 on: April 08, 2014, 08:23:44 pm »

Its been a bit, but reading the bay12 feed got me so excited I genned  aworld and picked what amounts to a newbie's intro to evil land.  an evil calm mountain by a calm shrubland sporting a brook. no aquifer, deep flux, no ore.

A single military dwarf came along, really just a beefy lumberdwarf.  With copper arms gear he managed to vomit a pack of undead hoary marmots to redeath, and we lost the female dog figuring out that the rain was clean but resurrection is a thing.  :/

Anywho digging a treefarm and to the caverns happened, and kobolds decided to zombify themselves by the wooden weapon traps.  each has one copper weapon.

So bleh Im amazed at how much I only got kind of right in my layout.  like adding wells and a drainage pipe but forgeting to account for clay.  or that trolls like to stand 2 tiles away from a door.

No civie deaths yet, one year in.  no proper dining hall yet either.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34054 on: April 08, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »

The normal order of things went much too slowly, so i sped things up by changing dwarfs to CHILD:2. Question was if dwarfs will marry distant relatives (cousins in this case, but aunt/nephew and uncle/niece should be the same as long as both parties are unmarried and of compatible age - remember that thanks to the practically endless fertility, an uncle the same age as or younger than his niece is quite common). They will. Cousins can be friends or lovers of each other, shown by "made a friend/talked to a friend" and "is romantically involved with" thoughts. They'll keep listing each other as "cousin", however. Probably because "cousin" comes first and apparently supersedes other relations. Once they marry, status will change to "husband/wife" (which happens to be the highest-priority relation a dwarf can have). I stopped the run after the first couple married.
Result: ^_^science :3 says you only need two married couples to repopulate the entire dwarven race.

I tried getting my hermit closer to her sequestered husband and see if that could result in reproduction. Setup was quite simple:

Code: [Select]
###
RFH
+F+
###

R = Rith, the renaissance single mother
F = carved fortifications
H = Hapless Husband

Neither got any "talked to the spouse recently" thoughts in about two weeks. Rith also didn't get pregnant, but that's inconclusive.
I couldn't be arsed to force longer vicinity, Rith has better things to do. It seems that being separated by a fortification already blocks social interaction.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34055 on: April 09, 2014, 12:28:11 am »

Masterwork is also very configurable, so it's fairly simple to set it up so you can gradually introduce the new features (though most require new worlds).

People often mention how configurable masterwork is, but from what I've read, one of the few things that I would want to (at least, I think that way now) turn off is also one of the very few things that can't be turned off, namely materials being standardized to just "grass", "wood", "stone", 3 types of leather etc. And while I understand that that mod is basically a prerequisite for a lot of other stuff in masterwork to work, that claim tends to irk me. Just my 2 cents.

Pretty sure you can. One of the configuration tabs has a fairly long list of toggles for «Simple BLANK», where blank is stuff like stone, soil, wood, etc.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34056 on: April 09, 2014, 06:55:14 am »

The normal order of things went much too slowly, so i sped things up by changing dwarfs to CHILD:2. Question was if dwarfs will marry distant relatives (cousins in this case, but aunt/nephew and uncle/niece should be the same as long as both parties are unmarried and of compatible age - remember that thanks to the practically endless fertility, an uncle the same age as or younger than his niece is quite common). They will. Cousins can be friends or lovers of each other, shown by "made a friend/talked to a friend" and "is romantically involved with" thoughts. They'll keep listing each other as "cousin", however. Probably because "cousin" comes first and apparently supersedes other relations. Once they marry, status will change to "husband/wife" (which happens to be the highest-priority relation a dwarf can have). I stopped the run after the first couple married.
Result: ^_^science :3 says you only need two married couples to repopulate the entire dwarven race.

Yeah, Laborfords got at least one aunt/nephew relationship and cousin/cousin relationship before I set it on fire. I think more, but I only noticed a few.

Next time I'm going to do a much more clinical naming structure. W1D1 Abyssink MW1D2 for first dwarf in first wave, surname "Abyssink", who marries second dwarf in first wave, for instance. And matrilineal surnames. And for native-borns I think it might be, like, B23W1D1 Abyssink MB19W3D17 or something. If that even fits, which it should, because Twinklingdiamond Matriarchs... but no, that'd get unwieldy... what was that one eugenics project that nicknamed its dwarves according to wave number?

Edit: Found it! Ok, so. Not wave number. Generation number. Hmmm. I need a serial number pattern that doesn't get clunky and indicates parentage... matrilineal naming... what's the nickname character limit?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:01:47 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34057 on: April 09, 2014, 07:04:40 am »

I surname my dwarves "Husband_name generation_number gender_qualifier original_second_name"
End result, I've got something like "Vabok II gra Udarsarvesh", which means pretty clearly that She is fortress-born, child of Vabok I bor Lisednish and Vabok I gra Esmulineth, sister to Vabok II bor Risenengig.
Aunts and uncles are a little harder. I'm thinking about adding the name of the wife somewhere in there.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34058 on: April 09, 2014, 07:11:21 am »

Personally I name my dwarves in a DDMMMYYYY sort of format based on arrival, like 12MAL126, and for births I'll name the child after the mother, like 23SLA132 - 12MAL126.

That is, until a dwarf create an artifact, in which case if the artifact is poor I'll give them title based off of their profession, but if it's useful/awesome the dwarf gets a new name (generally something Welsh/Latin) and a title based off of the artifact itself.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34059 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:30 am »

Got another siege in the fall.  For some reason it was relatively small, only three goblin squads and one troll squad.  I did not bother to close the drawbridge.  The crossbow goblins took some shots, but were driven off by my counter-fire.  The melee goblins and trolls were softened up by my marksdwarves.  Eventually, the melee dwarves charged out to meet the remaining invaders.  One wounded.

I have finished most of the great hall.  All that remains is to smooth, engrave, and carve the magma channels.  Then we can bring in the Mountain King.

This is also the first time I have saw a goblin squad break and run before the siege was over.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34060 on: April 09, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »

-cracks knuckles- All right. New fortress time, usual 2x2, and this one's going to last until the next release. And then I'm going to kill it gloriously. (Maybe I'll go GCS-hunting, make an FB collection, and set them all loose in the dining hall when the time is right.)

SO! SAVAGEWIRES AWAITS!

Outpost Savagewires, 1st Granite 201; 7 dwarves

40 z's for a HFDP (which is more like an "instant splatter" pit, he he he), white sand for my first soil layer and sandy clay (:D!) for my third, nothing metallic more useful than friggin' tetrahedrite, but hey I have bituminous coal and lignite ~woohoo~.

Spoiler: HFS! (click to show/hide)

Gonna do designations an' report back.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34061 on: April 09, 2014, 01:57:28 pm »

Creaturemachine, a minimum-temperature fort with a hellishly lethal surface and virtually no water or metals, has had a hard time bootstrapping itself to self-sufficiency. For a year, the dwarves were taunted by frozen globs of booze littering the ground outside the original entrance, where the wagon stood for about five seconds before being atomized by the cold.

Now that they have barely adequate booze, and shoes for everyone, they have turned to small luxuries like cooking their meals. And behold, dwarven sherbet!

This is a stack of 16 well-prepared frozen dwarven ale roast. The ingredients are minced large rat tallow, well-minced frozen dwarven wine, well-minced frozen dwarven ale and minced frozen dwarven ale

Okay, they didn't quite nail the sherbet recipe. Still, sounds tasty by dwarven standards!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34062 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »

Zombie Dragon Came to play. Straza Suloangot Uslot Sad, "Straza Sweltertaxerd the Brand of Glowing".  With just over 100 kills he managed to snag 3 more before we caged him.  I have zero clue what to do with him.  I may just leave him in a cage.  This is awesome, because zombie megabeasts never seem to live long enough to visit.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34063 on: April 09, 2014, 03:53:54 pm »

My Masterwork fort has started crashing, unfortunately :|
Happened after I got visited by a human caravan and goblin ambush, and with the current save it generally crashes inside of 30 seconds. Tried killing both merchants and goblins with dfhack, but that didn't help. Guess I'll investigate more tomorrow. Hopefully the fort isn't a loss, since I like it.

Edit: Found the solution (or at least so it seems) on the Masterwork forum \o/

Goblins have now been reduced to chunks, though the leader escaped. I should note down his name in case he comes back. I need to finish equipping everyone with armor, since right now the lightly armored ones tend to run ahead of everyone else, which isn't a great survival strategy. At least no one died.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:09:10 pm by Skuggen »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34064 on: April 09, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »

Found a strange one-block-in-size obsidian passage to the underworld, straight through the semi-molten rock.
Uncovered demons extremely early, but none seem to want to, you know, visit, so all is relatively well.
Going to block it off with a grate.
Pages: 1 ... 2269 2270 [2271] 2272 2273 ... 3836