Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2270 2271 [2272] 2273 2274 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865250 times)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34065 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:12 pm »

Werewombat comes to the fort... get bitten in half by a skeleton cow moose.

EDIT: Correction, the werewombat was bitten by the moose, then was shaken and split in half.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:00:58 am by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34066 on: April 10, 2014, 01:08:11 am »

Today something extra stupid happened.

A goblin snatcher somehow sneaked past my dog and got inside the fort, only to be discovered inside my marksdwarves barracks.

Im beginning to think the goblins are using my fort for natural selection.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34067 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:34 am »

My military took down a FB with deadly vapors. Now a bunch of them are rotting in the hospital. Lets see if my surgeons can save any.

[update] some of the lost their sight, the vapor entered through the eyeholes in their helms. If they only could use steampunk goggles...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:20:37 am by klefenz »

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34068 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:20 am »

I just started a new fortress lately. Got a little over a hundred dwarves so far. I set up right on the edge of an evil biome to keep things interesting without being right smack in the middle of all the fun.

Unfortunately, my butcher shop turned out to be inside the evil biome and I lost several dwarves to giant wren and giant panda corpses that reanimated when my hunter brought them in before anyone could turn them into a meal. The same hunter also lost an upper arm which got kicked into a corner somewhere and would occasionally rise up to attack passersby. Eventually I found it and had it thrown down into the spike / zombie pit where I store all my dead dwarves and goblins.

A flame-spewing titan who was missing all his fat appeared and burned all the zombies outside to redeath, along with most of the outside map. After the wildfire went out, I sent some marksdwarves to deal with the skinny brute. Five were burned to death in short order, as they were pretty raw (my fortress fortifications and internal farming operations have led to me being lax in my militia building). One more skilled marksdwarf brought the monster down with a few good shots to the legs and head.

I need to get my metal industry off the ground to get my militia better armed and bring animals inside. Then I can essentially hole-up indefinitely in case of emergency. I may just abandon my awkward top fortress layer and move my settlement to the layers just above the first cavern, too. It worked well enough for <100, but the larger population is crowding things a bit.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34069 on: April 10, 2014, 09:35:34 am »

I need to quit making my dwarves focus on rocks. I have a PILE of limonite sitting around and my smith is too busy building stuff to forge some picks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34070 on: April 10, 2014, 10:07:34 am »

I reclaimed a Fortress from way back when I first started playing, designed by the Dorfy version of Lady Gaga... name?  "Arrowbodices".

I couldn't figure out why it got abandoned in the first place, since it was swimming in limonite (admittedly, in the desert wilds and swarming with grasshopper/thrips men, but still...)  When I got to the entrance to the fort, the drawbridge was up.  Drat.  As I set a tunnel to burrow in, I noticed that both endpoints lit up...?  And then my 7 dwarves ran through the dry moat and into the fort through the hole where the bridge left a diagonal gap with the wall.  Oh.  *facepalm*

Think I know why it got abandoned.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34071 on: April 10, 2014, 12:42:00 pm »

I finished my borehole, it goes from the surface all the way to the magma sea, so its an artificial volcano, although it has a glass ceiling.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34072 on: April 10, 2014, 02:00:24 pm »

The new recruits don't quite get sparring, one's in the hospital after getting stabbed in the face.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34073 on: April 10, 2014, 03:46:08 pm »

Claspedpower has now grown to 67 souls, 39 of whom are children. With 22 of the 28 adults now in the military the economy isn't exactly going smoothly...  :o

After killing a couple more forgotten beasts and truckloads of goblins a swordmaster has gained the nickname "The Silvery Blaze of Rhythm", named his sword "The Mauve Murder" and his shield "Gorgebrains the Arm of Amethyst". Pretty cool I've got to say  :)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34074 on: April 10, 2014, 06:22:25 pm »

Just embarking. According to the world history text file, the monarch of the dwarven civ The Noble Craft has 18 children and worships Bugsud the Barbarian of Gut, deity of muck. The monarch of the other dwarven civ, The Crazy Merchants, only has 14 kids and worships Gomath, the deity of fortresses, war and valor. I feel like those should be the other way around.

I thought I'd go for a nice classic volcano embark since I went with a tedious minecart magma system last fort, and the single volcano in the world is called the High Hill. And I prefer tunneling into cliff faces over flat embarks. Temperate (cold) shrubland, woodland, wilderness, a brook, the volcano called The Livid Hearth, shallow clay, very deep soil, an aquifer, shallow metal, deep metal and flux stone, standard 4 races as neighbours. This is my map location:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going with The Crazy Merchants, highlighted on the world map (The Noble Craft live on the northern arm of the central mountain range). Group Name: Misnoblolor, "The Hazy Two-Letter", Fortress Name: Godenlisid, "Ropeclashes". Iron anvil, some dwarven rum, hematite and a few lignite, dogs (2f+1m), a pair of cats, sheep(2+1), pigs(2+1), and a turkey gobbler for the lulz. My somewhat min-maxed array of 2*teacher5/dodger or armor user 4/melee weapon 1; doctor, weaponsmith/trader, planter/mason, mayor/armorsmith, and mechanic/architect. Fun fact: the soldiers are named Zon Searchboats and Zon Searhedblockades.

Dingoes? This far north? Galena :( and tetrahedrite :) on the surface, so should have plenty of silver at least. Sand :D. Lots of steep slopes. Tired. Will post stonesense screenshot of embark some other day, once I get something done and/or stonesense installed again.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34075 on: April 10, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »

Just tried to build a floor supported only by a grate, now my base is getting flooded from my reservoir (luckily it's not that big a reservoir)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34076 on: April 10, 2014, 08:32:14 pm »

Just minted my first coins, which had a... novel bit of history on them - evidently I had a goblin queen leading my dwarven nation some years back.  Not sure how/why this happened, but I'm sure the Elves were involved...
//Torrenal

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34077 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:43 pm »

My most recent fort, started after a several month hiatus, is falling to its end.

The last eight in-game years have been relatively quiet, with no invaders save a siege consisting of two waves of hammergoblins and a random dragon stopping by. My military, although small, has proven exceptionally effective, given that it's two spearmasters, two elite marksdwarves, and two "blowgunners" using modded blowguns (rifles). As a precaution I've got three more full squads training up, and they're shaping up promisingly.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Okay, let's see what they've brought. Okay, a bunch of swordsgoblins and hammergoblins. Easy. And... Wait. War Cave Dragons? Twelve of them? Uh oh. And what are these "voracious cave crawlers?"

After a long and bloody fight, my 170some dwarf population is down to 36. the only remaining member of my original military is the captain of the guard, who shot around 280 bullets throughout the entire fight in the main entrance. Of the surviving dwarves, 10 are unwounded adults and 6 are children. I don't think I can pull this one back.

And, as I've learned today, if you mod in an item but forget to define what material it's made of, it has no weight. And when you melee attack with a rifle that weighs nothing, it passes through things.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34078 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:11 am »

The sunflower faeries of the Tower of Sugar thought they were safe. Work was going slowly as they begun setting up their tower-city in order to shelter themselves in the face of an alien, yet welcoming new world, the thundering of a befriended pack of elephants watching vigilantly as the first beginnings of the outer walls were being set up. Their mystical sunstones and wondrous spell-cards bedazzled the nearby elven merchants, and they had received bows and other weaponry to start the first beginnings of a militia, one that they hoped would never see use. The fairies thought that, after leaving their doomed sunflower field, situated within a fading magical border via dimensional portal, that they would be free from the horrors of the wicked factory which had led to their destruction, as well as the many machines.

Spoiler: The Trumpets of War (click to show/hide)

They thought wrong.

Springing into action, a pair of elephants attempted to fend off the metal beast with their might and girth, something which proved invaluable in surviving against the hostile living dead from the East. Yet, try as they might, even the two grey titans could land nary a scratch on the soulless, iron wagon, and tragedy eventually struck.

Spoiler: Car vs. Phant (click to show/hide)

The elephant howled in pain as it collapsed onto the earth, bloodied after having its body crushed apart. Its partner bellowed in terrifying rage, brutally slamming the car into the ground in vengeance of its fallen matriarch, however in vain.

Several days passed, and it seemed as if the construct would prevail at any moment, where it would then proceed to reduce the tower's populace to roadkill. Not willing to fall so easily, however, a single brave warrior grabbed a -bronze spear- from the stock pile in a desperate attempt to aid the grey colossus in battle. Stoically marching, fully expecting to fall, the foot-tall leprechaun dashed madly at the marauding machine, shouting at the top of his lungs as he plunged his weapon into the beast's engine compartment after biting on its chewy, rubbery wheel.

Spoiler: A Double-Dealing Blow (click to show/hide)

Yet, in a stroke of luck, perhaps granted by the sacred Lady Yuuka herself, he did not die. Indeed, he had managed to strike a vital compartment of the iron beast, which then proceeded to explode in a flash of burning wreckage. The chaun, one Leaf Limbsquid, and the elephant, dubbed Tiquoashi, were hailed as heroes. As of now, no goblin or kobold has managed to get past their vigilant watch, and programs for a yukkuri auxiliary troop are being considered as other fairies experiment using the bow and arrow.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:54:03 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34079 on: April 11, 2014, 12:55:44 am »

My fortress marches on much the same as it has been which is under absolutely constant attack from Goblins. I'm in year six of the fortress's existence and already approaching over 400 goblin/troll/mount kills. They seem to show up after every caravan's arrival. I'm beginning to consider putting that huge magma cistern aka the flooded top 2 former floors of my fortress to good use by designing a scorched earth final solution style doomsday weapon to deal with them. It would likely kill far more dwarves than the goblins could ever hope to but at the same time it would be glorious.

Perhaps I should consider a compromise and create a somewhat less dangerous dragon based weapons system instead. It would still be crazy enough to be fun! yet a bit less likely to end the fortress in some unforeseen melty manner. Then again dragon fire comes with its own set of unique dangers.
Pages: 1 ... 2270 2271 [2272] 2273 2274 ... 3836