Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2271 2272 [2273] 2274 2275 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788947 times)

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34080 on: April 11, 2014, 12:57:18 am »

My fortress marches on much the same as it has been which is under absolutely constant attack from Goblins. I'm in year six of the fortress's existence and already approaching over 400 goblin/troll/mount kills. They seem to show up after every caravan's arrival. I'm beginning to consider putting that huge magma cistern aka the flooded top 2 former floors of my fortress to good use by designing a scorched earth final solution style doomsday weapon to deal with them. It would likely kill far more dwarves than the goblins could ever hope to but at the same time it would be glorious.

Perhaps I should consider a compromise and create a somewhat less dangerous dragon based weapons system instead. It would still be crazy enough to be fun! yet a bit less likely to end the fortress in some unforeseen melty manner. Then again dragon fire comes with its own set of unique dangerous.

You must do both. Also, your name is highly fitting with your situation.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34081 on: April 11, 2014, 01:38:56 am »

My new fort is going well. Have all positions filled and starting to get everything in place. 6564 dwarves.

So naturally I just found a body drained of blood.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34082 on: April 11, 2014, 03:19:24 am »

My new fort is going well. Have all positions filled and starting to get everything in place. 6564 dwarves.

So naturally I just found a body drained of blood.
Naturally.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34083 on: April 11, 2014, 04:15:58 am »

My young fortress is pretty uneventful as of yet. Population 51, I wasn't really prepared for that one migration wave which basically tripled my population ( I like to take things slowly ) but I pulled through it. You can never have too many haulers I say. ;)

Anyway, one day my metalworker got possessed and claimed a mason's workshop. Oh crap, I hope I have the correct stuff... I thought before I checked.

Bones. Just murdered a couple of things so I'm okay.
Stones. I literally have hundreds of them.
Cloth Thread. Fortunately stocked up when tree-humping faggots elves visited.
Leather. was also plentiful thanks to humans.

Fast forward couple months, I see the same metalworker in mason's shop. Why he haven't started yet?

He already took the bones, so why he isn't taking stone? I literally had everything stone like. Raw stone, metal ores, metal bars... Then it hit me. He must be wanting stone blocks! Unfortunately, the mere second before my other masons finished he went insane and went after the now-scared mason.

Just to be ripped to shreds by a puppy.

Still, I gave him a little engraved tomb. He died because of my dwarven stupidity intelligence.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34084 on: April 11, 2014, 04:34:54 am »

If he wanted blocks I think he would have said so.

There's a list here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Strange_mood

Maybe you just didn't have enough of something he wanted?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34085 on: April 11, 2014, 05:28:40 am »

Starting a new fortress because FTL finally made me break down and cry.

Going to copy Lielac name my dwarves in a new, more meta-organised format this time.
Also removed most of the mods, keeping only my beloved Skythes.

Embarkation: Udirnar, The Black Oblivion

Going for a 4x4 embark instead of my normal 5x5. Let's see how long I can keep iTunes open directly that slows the FPS drop.

Ah, nice and perfectly flat, just the way I like it. Now, let's get to work.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34086 on: April 11, 2014, 06:08:55 am »

Those cunning devils... Knowing they can't defeat us in battle, they have taken to attacking our minds.

I get sieged constantly by goblins. They come with almost every caravan so I have gotten quite proficient at turning large forces of goblins into large piles of corpses. They never manage to kill more than a couple of dwarves each seige but they have this uncanny ability to make sure its somebody that mattered. First it was my legendary mechanic who was caught resetting traps from the previous battle. Then it was my irreplaceable legendary glass maker who was collecting sand.

Fool me once twice...

So I tightened security and assigned war dogs to my important dwarves who aren't allowed to go outside for any reason anymore. Left with no way to directly target my VIP dwarves the goblins resort to psychological warfare. Their next victim was one of my original 7 dwarves who had grown into a fine weapon and armor smith during the course of our long war. He was depressed over the recent loss of his long time friend, the legendary glass maker. Coincidentally, his skill with the forge had just reached the point where he could create his first masterwork weapons.

The clever goblins set their plan in motion sending in a couple of volunteers to taunt my marksdwarves. They were promptly turned into pincushions as the hail of masterwork silver bolts found their mark. Instead of staying to fight, the goblins cleverly bolted for the edge of the map taking with them a great many masterwork bolts. Apparently the "theft" of the bolts imbedded in those filthy goblins was the final straw. My smith snapped like gorilla on PCP right in the middle of the grand hall. In his mad rage he made the mistake of attacking the most skilled hunter in the fort who just happened to be accompanied by a pack of war dogs. Needless say he died a truly gory death in front of everyone. Apparently half of them were his friends and loved ones.

Not quite done with the clean up, the seasons changed, a new caravan was heralded and as expected the goblins returned. This time they targeted another member of the original 7, my legendary appraiser and broker. The bloody battle was won with the loss of a mere two dwarves, but there are a lot of dead animals thanks to enemy marksmen. I checked to see who they were and oddly enough the dwarves were just useless sheerers. I wasn't even done breathing a sigh of relief when my legendary appraiser/broker went stark raving mad.

Apparently he was a close friend of the fort's original smith who was the honored guest at the red dinner. It quickly became apparent what drove my broker over the edge. Those cunning goblins had executed the three war dogs I had assigned to protect him.  :o It also just so happens he was also our last mechanic. He was the backup for legend that we lost a few sieges back . >:(

There is tension and miasma in the air. I smell a tantrum spiral coming. Two of the original 7 are dead. They appear to have been friends with everyone. Worse yet I realize all those damn wardogs that were supposed to keep my VIP dwarves safe are doing the exact opposite. They are perfect tantrum inducing suicide machines and the goblins exploited this weakness to great effect. Now the legendary crossbowman in charge of my marksmen is in the red as he mourns the loss of his damn dogs and he is friends with the mad broker.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:16:36 am by Melting Sky »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34087 on: April 11, 2014, 06:16:17 am »

Those cunning devils... Knowing they can't defeat us in battle, they have taken to attacking our minds.

I get sieged constantly by goblins. They come with almost every caravan so I have gotten quite proficient at turning large forces of goblins into large piles of corpses. They never manage to kill more than a couple of dwarves each seige but they have this uncanny ability to make sure its somebody that mattered. First it was my legendary mechanic who was caught resetting traps from the previous battle. Then it was my irreplaceable legendary glass maker who was collecting sand.

Fool me once twice...

So I tightened security and assigned war dogs to my important dwarves who aren't allowed to go outside for any reason anymore. Left with no way to directly target my VIP dwarves the goblins resort to psychological warfare. Their next victim was one of my original 7 dwarves who had grown into a fine weapon and armor smith during the course of our long war. He was depressed over the recent loss of his long time friend, the legendary glass maker. Coincidentally, his skill with the forge had just reached the point where he could create his first masterwork weapons.

The clever goblins set their plan in motion sending in a couple of volunteers to taunt my marksdwarves. They were promptly turned into pincushions as the hail of masterwork silver bolts found their mark. Instead of staying to fight, the goblins cleverly bolted for the edge of the map taking with them a great many masterwork bolts. Apparently the "theft" of the bolts imbedded in those filthy goblins was the final straw. My smith snapped like gorilla on PCP right in the middle of the grand hall. In his mad rage he made the mistake of attacking the most skilled hunter in the fort who just happened to be accompanied by a pack of war dogs. Needless say he died a truly gory death in front of everyone. Apparently half of them were his friends and loved ones.

Not quite done with the clean up, the seasons changed, a new caravan was heralded and as expected the goblins returned. This time they targeted another member of the original 7, my legendary appraiser and broker. The bloody battle was won with the loss of a mere two dwarves, but there are a lot of dead animals thanks to enemy marksmen. I checked to see who they were and oddly enough the dwarves were just useless sheerers. I wasn't even done breathing a sigh of relief when my legendary appraiser/broker went stark raving mad.

Apparently he was a close friend of the fort's original smith who was the honored guest at the red dinner. It quickly became apparent what drove my broker over the edge. Those cunning goblins had executed the three war dogs I had assigned to protect him.  :o It also just so happens he was also our last mechanic. He was the backup for legend that we lost a few sieges back . >:(

There is tension miasma in the air. I smell a tantrum spiral coming. Two of the original 7 are dead. They appear to have been friends with everyone. Worse yet I realize all those damn wardogs that were supposed to keep my VIP dwarves safe are doing the exact opposite. They are perfect tantrum inducing suicide machines and the goblins exploited this weakness to great effect. Now the legendary crossbowman in charge of my marksmen is in the red as he mourns the loss of his damn dogs and he is friends with the mad broker.

That was glorious!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34088 on: April 11, 2014, 06:17:31 am »

Haha, ouch!

Yeah, instead of assigning war animals to important dwarves I just pasture them near the edges of the map, to serve both as early warning of ambushes and distractions.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34089 on: April 11, 2014, 06:38:49 am »

Seeing how blatantly easy it is to use this old little bug, i wonder why people keep going to such lengths with impulse ramp spirals and what not to move minecarts up or down levels. I made a little movie showing it off:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2653-minecartescalator

That's a track going up/down 47 z-levels, needing nothing fancier than a single dwarven push for propulsion. No impulse ramps, no power. It can be ridden perfectly safely in both directions because the single-connected ramps are treated as flat floor. You could also engrave T-junctions connected to all walls, as long as they aren't connected to a "floor" (or hole), ramps don't provide acceleration.

It's not a new discovery, it's been talked about in the "How does minecart" thread, but then everyone got distracted by shotguns and quantum tunnelling and never examined the issue further. It appears to be speed-sensitive - in a previous test, adding an impulse ramp for higher speed broke the upward passage. I'll do some speed tests, but the fact that a dwarven push is an acceptable speed is already quite convenient.

EDIT: dwarven push with an impulse ramp immediately behind (speed just under 30k) works. Two ramps are too fast.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:50:25 am by Larix »

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34090 on: April 11, 2014, 06:49:33 am »

... It can be ridden perfectly safely in both directions...

Then what's the point!? :P

I've actually barely done anything with minecarts in general. Really should start using them for the deep mining.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34091 on: April 11, 2014, 07:15:53 am »

Outpost: Udirnar, The Black Oblivion
Year 1, 14 22 dwarves.

Spoiler: Obscenities (click to show/hide)

Guess what I forgot to add progress triggers to?

I now have an Air Skythe bearing down on my fortress. If you can imagine being attacked by Yveltal, that's essentially what's going down in the Black Oblivion. Fortunately, I am a cheating sod want this fortress to survive for more than three seasons, and so have no moral errs against freezing the bird in place whilst I get some cage traps up.

UPDATE: The cages are set and all life is hiding. Preparing to reawaken the Skythe.
The caravan did arrive before the plan could be put in place,  but mercifully on the other side of the map, far from my precious baby.

SECOND UPDATE: Hole in one!
I now have an Air Skythe in a cage! Time for war training >:D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:56:40 am by Lolfail0009 »

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34092 on: April 11, 2014, 07:52:09 am »

Shortly after the demise of the titan, the fortress came under a goblin siege along with a War Jabberer. With the marksdwarf squad depleted, I didn't feel like having my melee dwarves slaughtered. I baited them to the main gateway and had a dwarf pull the lever at the last second. Two goblins made it past the bridges before they sprang up, trapping the Jabberer and the rest of the goblins in the space between. The melee dwarf squad mopped up the two speedy ones and I discovered one of my axedwarves is apparently female Rocky Balboa; after she hacked a goblin's spear out of his had with her axe, she punched his spinal cord out through his leather armor with a single blow.

With the goblins trapped, I took my time finishing up all the traps inside my corridor of death (aka the main gate) and smashing them against walls using another drawbridge I put in between the other two.

There is at least one vampire somewhere in my fortress. I realized it while using Dwarf Therapist, and when someone was discovered drained of blood. This explains why so many dwarves have gone "missing for a week." I had assumed it was from nasty beasties from the evil biome to the south, since most of them were found outside, near the edges of the map. I don't really want to be cheap and use DT to figure out who they are, but I suspect this one dwarf with an extremely long name. He acts shady and has an awful lot of high level skills.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34093 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:01 am »

I have a few dwarves from the last two immigration waves with very high social skills, but couldn't otherwise find any hard evidence of vampirism. I want to catch it before I lose anyone else, though. I play with a population limit of 50, so I can't afford to lose many and each random murder has a fairly high chance of killing someone important.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34094 on: April 11, 2014, 08:16:51 am »

Go check the number of civs they were a previous member of.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 2271 2272 [2273] 2274 2275 ... 3835