Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2276 2277 [2278] 2279 2280 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5839991 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34155 on: April 13, 2014, 08:08:18 pm »

Just got my first artifact... a fox bone chain, named Nerridenshal Thestaramkolnunur, "Groundbudded the Crimson Counsellor-Crevices".

I think I need to hide it from the children.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34156 on: April 13, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »

Year 3 of my fort, in the year 105, after the fort in a similar area that died to demons hasn't been too eventful so far.
Four baby snatchers tried to get in and were promptly axed to death, leaving blood and corpses all over the entrance. No want or need to clean it up. Human caravan and a fallen angelical caravan both came by. Waiting for them to get to the depot so I can give them spiked iron balls for all their metal and wood.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #34157 on: April 13, 2014, 08:41:47 pm »

Just got my first artifact... a fox bone chain, named Nerridenshal Thestaramkolnunur, "Groundbudded the Crimson Counsellor-Crevices".
Why would you hide it? Use it in the prison to make sure those lawbreakers are extra happy!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34158 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:37 pm »

I was bored in my recent fort, and so decided to dig for adamantine. Soon my fortress got destroyed by the circus and also the surrounding area-except for two dwarves in prison, one a vampire and one insane, both convicted for murder. The door to the prison was destroyed, but for some reason they are both fine, and in fact they're becoming good friends (well, the vampire is fine and the other guy is about to die)! Why is it that the whole place is getting ransacked but they're left alone?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34159 on: April 14, 2014, 04:40:21 am »

I swear those war dogs will be the death of me. In the continuing saga of my fortress coming unhinged thanks to pets and goblin psychological warfare another chapter has been written.

Picking up where I left off, I find my formerly awesome broker and member of the original 7, going absolutely berserk thanks to the loss of a couple of his beloved war dogs at the hands of cunning goblins. Now completely stark raving mad, his one surviving pet war dog turns on him and starts tearing the poor bastard apart. The mauling goes on for pages until finally one of my military dwarves shows up and puts a merciful end to it all.

Well, played goblins and dogs. Well played.

Apparently, the goblins managed to dispatch a great many suicidal war dogs during their last incursion. As my dwarves clean up the heaps of dead goblins they keep uncovering dead canines as well and each time they do so another of my elite dwarves moves closer to going over the edge. I rue the day I had the "bright" idea of assigning multiple war dogs to each of my VIP dwarves as body guards.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:48:20 am by Melting Sky »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34160 on: April 14, 2014, 07:22:04 am »

Started a fort an hour ago. Going to see how three sleepless days and nights and no coffee affects just how sane I am whilst playing dwarf fortress. Already, I've embarked upon an evil glacier with low supplies. A normal embark, of course. Lost both my woodcutters when I opened the caverns for some early wood, the  three miners are fighting off the troll who killed the useless woodcutters,the "surgeon" is outside freezing to death because there's zombies chasing him around the map, and the one actual military trained dwarf is sleeping. Oop, miners finally killed the troll. First thing on the agenda, acquire enough microcline to build a giant coffee mug.Because SCREW YOU, PLAYING LIKE A NORMAL (well, relatively normal for Bay12) PERSON, I DO WHAT I WANT.
*insane laughter*
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34161 on: April 14, 2014, 07:24:11 am »

Currently successfully pulling off the Planepacked glitch, but with adamantine wafers, bones, leather, and rock.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34162 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:55 am »

Currently successfully pulling off the Planepacked glitch, but with adamantine wafers, bones, leather, and rock.

Aaaaaaaand puzzlebox.

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34163 on: April 14, 2014, 07:50:58 am »

Well, my vampire problem was solved. A horde of goblins appeared with a fleet of jabberers and killed all 170 dwarves. I watched aghast as the dwarves completely ignored my order to pull the one lever needed to seal off the fortress and send the invaders through the halls of doom. Apparently the dwarf who was "actively" working on pulling the lever was the entire length of the map away, because everyone else just strolled on by it.

Loaded up another fortress, also on the edge of some haunted woods. This time I am designing the front entrance with a bit more militaristic planning right from the start, and a much longer run from the gate mouth to the inner halls, as well as multiple gates in case of late lever pulls.

Already lost the main fighting dwarf from embark to a giant panda corpse. Ahh, well, he shall serve the fort in death in the zombie pit, so its not a total loss.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34164 on: April 14, 2014, 08:04:08 am »

Village: Urdornar, the Black Oblivion
50 dwarves

I don't know who the fuck this "Nish Feedworks" thinks he is, but I tell him, I'M the mayor around these parts!
Mayor EightTimesNine... Nah, I'll stick with Overseer as my title. But I still assume the position of mayor!

One of my dwarves, Unib Satinblots, went berserk from unhappiness. He had to be put down. I wasn't ready to go into battle myself, and Sodol would only stay by my side, so ten randoms went in and beat the shit out of him. I've ordered the construction of a dining hall to quiet the masses honour his memory quiet the masses.

Another artifact was created. Nothing much, just a cedar puzzlebox.

Work has begun on the second floor of the above-ground portion of the fortress, which will become the main dining hall when I'm done with it. Probably.
Sodol certainly seems to enjoy flitting about the construction sites. Maybe I could teach her to shatter stone instead of bone with her screeches...

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34165 on: April 14, 2014, 08:45:07 am »

Last fort's dead, new one. This time, savage forest, so I have more of a chance to build the monument to the great god Coffee. Name's Sweetbelle, of the Stupid Fabric. Nothing happened in spring. Spring is always rubbish in the boring lands. Summer, however, brought structural integrity failure and rapid unplanned disassembly; namely, I fucked up and forgot that stone can't float in the air. RIP, Urist, Ur-ist, U-rist, Uri-st, and Bob. Ye' shall nae' be missed. KEEP BUILDING, SLAVES!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34166 on: April 14, 2014, 09:06:01 am »

Why would you hide it? Use it in the prison to make sure those lawbreakers are extra happy!

The name sounds very quite lot of obscene  :)

On it is the image of two swamp titans... it doesn't say doing what, but, well, the name.  You know.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34167 on: April 14, 2014, 10:47:09 am »

due to an incompetent melt command, one of my lower tiered armorsmiths became incredibly upset over the loss of his copper shield.

a forgotten beast managed to infiltrate my defenses through the bottom and is chewing on an artifact diorite table. luckily I designed that area as a chokepoint for demon invasions, with fortifcations to the right. it will be dead once my marksdwarves get into position.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34168 on: April 14, 2014, 01:56:57 pm »

After some work, a pipe between the cistern at the dorm floor and the hospital/public district has been dug, and the floodgate from the cistern opened. Soon, the fortress will have a safe, new source of fresh water...

... That is, of course, if I managed to handle the pressure properly. Its been a while since I last played DF, but hopefully I still remember the way to decrease pressure in water. If not, I'll soon find out. If something does happen, I'll hold Meng Testtreaty the Doctor Dwarf responsible, since he pulled the lever.

Also, dwarves keep turning up dead, drained of blood, so obviously there's a vampire on the loose. But at the same time, it does take care of the population problem. Oh, and it doesn't seem to be affecting the population adversely. Yet.

EDIT: Surprise! Pressure caused water to shoot up into the hospital. Meng, wisely understanding it was his own fault, decided to sit down in his office, flooded with water, and stare blankly at the wall as he waited for the water to drain.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:16:20 pm by Serio »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34169 on: April 14, 2014, 03:12:02 pm »

one of my spearmasters just lost a foot. Idk what happened and I don't see a combat report about it.

EDIT: nvm. it was a mace lord who lost his foot a year ago. turns out his heart's not working.

EDIT 2: The not fatal heart condition has spread to one of my spiders. turns out it was a FB beast extract, which is weird since I found it on the surface.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:37:20 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2276 2277 [2278] 2279 2280 ... 3836