Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2375 2376 [2377] 2378 2379 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856872 times)

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35640 on: July 13, 2014, 03:33:42 pm »

I had animals run in panic from my pasture repeatedly (in .40.01 i think). Can it be they were caused by the butcher's workshop in the middle of the pasture? I definitely slaughtered a yak and probably a sheep there, and right enough, it were the wagon-puller yak and visiting yaks from caravans who kept bolting.

C'mon man, that is a little heartless. Its been a subconscious thing that I place the butcher's shop away from the pastured animals...

You monster. xD

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35641 on: July 13, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »

I managed to land in a very beautiful embark area with plently iron and coal.
Only problem, there's a waterfall and apparently water doesnt freeze in winter here.

Anyone a ressource cheap solution to block that waterfall either permanently or at will for FPS purpose
if i should ever get that need?

I'd channel around or under the river with blocks and masons nearby, pierce the river so it drains into the reservoir then dam it could fill the reservoir and reach it's normal depth.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35642 on: July 13, 2014, 04:40:16 pm »

C'mon man, that is a little heartless. Its been a subconscious thing that I place the butcher's shop away from the pastured animals...

You monster. xD

Sorry I missed that, I was exploring the most cost effective way to burn dwarves alive and vaccinate them against fire.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35643 on: July 13, 2014, 04:57:25 pm »

Found an excellent spot on my necro tower laden world I posted in the .40.xx cookbook.

Surface iron AND flux, lots of trees, haven't gotten past the first of spring (Lich180 cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Work) but it looks quite promising. Gonna see if the site holds up between 40.02 and 40.03, which it should since the world gen seed has worked through all versions so far.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35644 on: July 13, 2014, 06:52:14 pm »

One of my four dwarves with mining skill (and one of the three listed as "Miner") plummeted down the main shaft for no reason after mining a bit, and now nobody wants to use it. We have an architect/furnace operator trapped down there. She is hungry and thirsty but won't step near the almost-exploded corpse.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35645 on: July 13, 2014, 06:59:42 pm »

I've survived! It was tough, and my fort was down to 11 or 12 dwarves. The few migrant waves got grossed out by the bodies and scared by the ghosts and mauled by the werelizard, but he's walled into his room and everyone is in coffins and nobody is tantruming anymore.

And I got a wave of migrants that arrived despite the danger. For some reason, those migrant waves are always the most enormous. It got me up to 39 dwarves, and none of these guys are pissed off about any of the stuff that's happened.

Now I just have to get my various projects started back up. Viva stability!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35646 on: July 13, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »

Discovered that web-beasts + farm plots + nearby water = every dwarf pathing to the farm plot to pick a plump helmet, then getting webbed from a beast camping in the lake. I even used the orders menu to "only farmers harvest" but that didn't seem to work. Oh well, a short re-write later and I'm making progress again...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35647 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:34 pm »

History. Doomed to repeat itself. War with The Ripe Fragrance, no contact with humanity... Could it be inevitable?

As dwarves murder eachother in a frenzied accident-driven rage in Spiritnets in one timeline, the Trame of another sets out not to reclaim a lost hold, but to found a new home for disenfranchised dwarves of The Special Diamond. Perhaps things will be different here, perhaps if war is waged the elves will not crush and occupy vast swathes of territory but instead be smashed against a bulwark of rock and metal.

Perhaps Perat and Steel will not be killed trying to shamble across tree tops for silk, perhaps Guard Captain Brosep will not become mayor, and perhaps the horse bone sword will be remade and used to make war upon the knife-ears. Perhaps necromancers seeking fresh bodies will find thier hordes smashed below bridges.

This place, Copperforest (named so due to being planted firmly in the woods and likely to use mainly copper,) will become the bulwark against the terror to come. Time to hurt some mufuggan nature.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35648 on: July 13, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »

I didn't get any elven caravans past the first one. I just checked and that's because my civilization is at war with the elves. Great.

Also I don't have contact with any human or goblin civilizations. I swear I did when I started the fort.

edit: The humans showed up right after I posted this. Took them an extra year to get here, for some reason. Maybe they're really far away.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:11:26 pm by penguinofhonor »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35649 on: July 13, 2014, 10:00:26 pm »

first 40. fort, no problems for now, but the cut in FPS are an annoyance.

EDIT: oh well nevermind it seems the framerate issues are caused by cave ins in the cavern layer (40.02 for that matter)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:11:23 pm by xaritscin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35650 on: July 13, 2014, 10:23:11 pm »

Going to aggressively test out the "retire fortress" feature.

On this world gen, all the elves seem to be crammed together on a tiny little island tucked away in the mountains, surrounded by a large mountain lake.  There is a tiny plot pf land on the island that isnt used by elven forest retreats-- so, I am going to build a fortress there, then build a HUGE bridge, spanning multiple world map tiles, heading west, into the mountains.

The reason, is that there is a massive dwarven buildup of fortresses and hill settlements just on the other side of the mountains.
Creating an artificial roadway between the two sounds like a worthwhile megaproject.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35651 on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:00 pm »

Good luck with that!
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35652 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:35 pm »

It could be a great bridge between peoples to build understanding and trade! Or the vector of new wars and conquests. Either way, fun times. Plus we'll see what, if any, effect that has on the actual game, like if the game-world will acknowledge there's now a land connection between the two areas or if it won't.

As for myself, I think I may possibly have a winner.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's only just now Autumn and we've already completed the perimeter wall and I'd say we're a third or more done with the overhang to deal with climbers. Bridges are done and 2 of the 3 outer bridges are already hooked up to levers. We've got a Depot and a Crafts shop churning Rock Crafts /r so we'll have things to sell, plenty of lumber, yadda yadda. The only real challenge is we're seeing lots of Xmen, mostly badgers or moths or whatever, and some have been aggro.

Really glad I decided to take four war dogs on embark, come to think of it. They ripped apart the attackers and the dorfs literally weren't even rustled from their job schedules to notice. Actually, I have to say I get way less notice now that my units are in combat than I seemed to get in previous versions; I have to literally see the blinking icons and go scan reports manually.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35653 on: July 13, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »

I've thought about doing overhangs on my forts like I've done in my 34. forts because for some reasons i don't remember besides it being a pain when building.

New fort for 40.03 and it will be one to strike fear into the elves who have claimed a ridiculously large piece of land leaving the humans very little to grow on.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35654 on: July 13, 2014, 11:56:20 pm »

I'm putting in the extra work because I heard goblins climb now, and I'd rather be safe, if waste tons of resources, than really sorry since my typical military policy is 'have no military, hide in a hole until sieges are starved out and leave while munching on plump helmets for years'.

Also, caravan and the liaison arrived right at the beginning of Autumn, huh. A bit early? No news of why, and the fortress is kind of distant from any civilization, especially our home, so I dunno. It is really, really neat to see the merchants actually slowly pathing their big fat 3x3 wagons to your depot.

I just realized the expedition leader and broker I appointed has "dislikes those who exercise power over others" and "is somewhat put off by trade and commerce". Great.
Pages: 1 ... 2375 2376 [2377] 2378 2379 ... 3836