Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2380 2381 [2382] 2383 2384 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788340 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35715 on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »

My military is now competent enough to stand against a few zombies at once, with minimal happiness loss. 2 are still sensitive to the undead, but the other 2 may have a bit too much fun... one decided grappling the zombie into submission, then punching it in the head until the head popped like a watermelon under Gallagher's hammer would be appropriate.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35716 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17:12 pm »

Discovery, "doesn't really care" seems to supercede discipline. My veteran militia dwarves still occasionally burst into tears at the sight of the refuse pile but I sent a single dwarf to execute every animal person on the map and 11 kills later he's no longer effected by horror even though he's still dabbling in discipline.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35717 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »

I tried building a trap to harvest a shelled Snail Beast with webs. The only problem? It decided to wander into a separate trap area that I had built earlier. On the plus side, the melee militia had no problem killing the beast in the checkerboard-pillar area. That design really hoses the breath attacks. But on the negative, I only got 4 forgotten beast silk from him :(

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35718 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:18 pm »

Discovery, "doesn't really care" seems to supercede discipline. My veteran militia dwarves still occasionally burst into tears at the sight of the refuse pile but I sent a single dwarf to execute every animal person on the map and 11 kills later he's no longer effected by horror even though he's still dabbling in discipline.

So I guess the meeting hall of puppy impalement is a viable way to get lots of dwarves over the whole "everything's terrifying" issue. Unless the dwarves run from the puppy impalements...
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35719 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »

Dwarves are a LOT more unstable, personality wise, now.

Had 3 idiots climb a tree over the edge of a lake, fall in, and drown.

Half the fortress went to red flashing arrows. Because they are SOOO SLOOOW at building things in this version, there is no dining hall yet to help ameliorate this issue. Had a dwarf go berzerk..

Terminated the process, will save scum. Seriously-- This is out of control.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35720 on: July 14, 2014, 08:29:13 pm »

First foray into 40.02, my favorite embark: waterfall canyon. Lovely site, not so deep that plunging dwarves are guaranteed death but enough for grandeur. After a year and a half, temporary lodgings are prepared and work has progressed for construction of the waterfall entryway into what will be the fortress proper. The river gorge is draining slowly now that all three source rivers have been blocked off which will allow for support structures to be constructed on the riverbed and make the causeway through the gorge possible. May also create a couple of large plinths for future statue-building. Dwarven Necromancer brought a horde of undead elves early on, but after the lone guard put a spear through his eye, his minions have been content to mill about the southwestern corner of the area and not bother anyone; once a proper militia with crossbows has been drafted, they will be dealt with.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35721 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:47 pm »

Embark Anywhere still works. Embarked in elf territory for shits and giggles, and decided what better way to start the night than with chopping down a sacred tree! SPecifically a mighty hazel tree known as Glaciersummits, The Clutch of Dyes.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35722 on: July 14, 2014, 08:41:49 pm »

Embark Anywhere still works. Embarked in elf territory for shits and giggles, and decided what better way to start the night than with chopping down a sacred tree! SPecifically a mighty hazel tree known as Glaciersummits, The Clutch of Dyes.
You, sir, are a genius.

I have embarked to a desert with naught but a copper pick. The desert contains a limited aquifer. We have tapped it and are flooding the caverns. My first miner died like a total dumbass while channeling the last square to unleash the aquifer into the caves, and I don't feel at all sorry for the fact that his hidden corpse is buried in mud right now, inaccessible under a stream of water that flows down into the lower levels of the first cavern layer.

Booze is currently an issue. The first cavern layer was completely barren, so we have breached the second layer and I have sent dwarves to seek out the sweet pods that grow there. Hopefully that troll hanging to the wall won't chase after them and wipe the fort. A depot has been constructed and the carpenter will begin to crank out spiked balls as we enter into the first trade season. It is a good beginning for our humble fort!

Should I test whether or not deconstructing the depot still steals everything from the caravan?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35723 on: July 14, 2014, 08:45:34 pm »

Finally got the hang of metalworking. Now I can actually give my soldiers some armor. I'm also thinking of putting up a wooden tower with a ballista on top.
By the way, anyone know if gold crafts are worth much in trading?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:50:47 pm by Walrusking »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35724 on: July 14, 2014, 08:50:20 pm »

Finally got the hang of metalworking. Now I can actually give my soldiers some armor.
By the way, anyone know if gold crafts are worth much in trading?

If you can't buy out an entire caravan with two or three goblets your smith is terrible.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35725 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:36 pm »

First season in 2 years that hasn't had a siege show up at some point, or still be hanging around. Finally. Maybe migrants will come this autumn... and a caravan!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35726 on: July 14, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »

fort population increased to 50, no problems with food for now, accidentally caused a flooding due to channeling above one of the walls of the tunnels, had enough time to secured the fortress with a wall but the room assigned for the cementery was disconnected by the water, building a new tunnel leading from the other side, and the door was set to forbidden entrance.

FPS dropped with the increase in population and the flood, but the fortress stands

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35727 on: July 14, 2014, 10:02:05 pm »

I discovered the old Just Embark tool still works for 40.03.
I embarked on a necromancer tower and was dead within seconds.

Vi Et Armis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35728 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:52 pm »

A weremoose (Pumik Alirsudem) just showed up in my first fall and slaughtered a farmer before being overcome by horror. I closed the gate while I assembled a militia, then waited for her to change back to human form before loosing them. The weremoose is no more, but the farmer's wife just beat a cat to death...

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35729 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:10 pm »

One of my dwarves just became the king, and now wants all the privileges of his station. Since his ennoblement also means he won't work anymore, I may just let him go mad, since I'm still getting the main fort dug out.

Slightly less horrifyingly, a weremammoth (!!!) showed up, swam upriver to where a fisherdwarf was, well, fishing, and then threw him, skipping him across the water. Needless to say, the dwarf died, and the weremammoth almost immediately reverted to human form. Terrified, he dashed up a tree to join the two goblin invaders who, last year, decided to stay behind and hang out in a tree fort, presumably for the rest of their lives. Luckily, the weremammoth decided he didn't want to be part of the goblins' club (or maybe they wouldn't let him join), so he finally left the map. Alas, I failed to collect a blood sample for the purpose of weaponizing the majestic (were)mammoth, as my military in this fort is still nonexistent (no useful ores at all so far...I was promised both shallow and deep metals, darn it!).

Finally, I can confirm that a civ which has been dead for a hundred years will still send you caravans and migrants (even after the first year).
Pages: 1 ... 2380 2381 [2382] 2383 2384 ... 3835