Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2406 2407 [2408] 2409 2410 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841607 times)

Andronicus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36105 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »

Embarked in some savage lands. When I unpaused it started raining a green repulsive slime. My brave dorfs were so repulsed that they'd pass out randomly. While completely covered in this green slime. So after an age digging out an emergency cave into the sandy earth and moving all my suppiles into Rashgururdim my dorfs are huddling in a sandy cave covered in this foul green slime. . .

senilking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36106 on: July 25, 2014, 10:07:53 pm »

Trying a new play style, no doors or bridges. All passageways will be blocked by dwarf bodies when the sieges come. Also embarked beside 5 goblin sites and a tower, but the tower is marked as a dwarf tower.

Aquifer has me limited to the very top layer of a hill, and trees keep randomly? collapsing, knocking holes in the roof. I haven't dug any recently because my miner is currently desperately trying to learn to swim before he drowns in the aquifer I was digging into, so I'm not sure why the trees are collapsing, but he's up to level 4 swimmer now, lol. If you chop down a tree at ground level, does it now collapse and give a message? Also have had several people knocked out, which has never happened before.

LONG LIVE THE OUTPOST OF YAWNBOATS! Yeah, that doesn't really have a good ring to it.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36107 on: July 25, 2014, 10:38:36 pm »

Trees collapse now, semirandomly. Nobody is really sure what's going on except maybe Toady One?

As far as dwarves being unconscious, they can be unconscious or start falling for sooo many reasons. Terror or horror or panic or forgetting something causing them to start climbing. Dodging anything. Passing one another on a crowded staircase, climbing to get past, and failing to do so.

This is why I don't do long vertical shafts anymore. They're too dangerous

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36108 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45:50 pm »

Yea stairs are actually far more like ladders. If something causes a dwarf to go flying, even the otherwise meaningless 1 tick flight from a particularly strong hit that doesn't actually move them.  The stairs will provide absolutely no obstruction to their flight and they will fall straight down them to a chunky demise.

In the more recent version I think some may get lucky and halt their fall, but it's likely more because they managed to pass a climbing check and grabbed a wall than being stopped by the stairs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36109 on: July 25, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

Trees collapse now, semirandomly. Nobody is really sure what's going on except maybe Toady One?

I have a theory that it is that fully grown trees are being displaced and knocked over when a sapling grows to a fully cuttable tree which may or may not cause injuries.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36110 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23:21 pm »

Unretired my first fort and several of the dwarfs are naked. May or may or may not be related to the 4 humans that i adventured overed with after I retired the fort, made the adventurer the lord and killed the mayor.
Also the human caravan from whenever they showed up since it is winter are trapped here and are not moving and their pack animals are parading about praticly. And it is late winter and i retired early winter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:26:15 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36111 on: July 26, 2014, 12:24:03 am »

Yea stairs are actually far more like ladders. If something causes a dwarf to go flying, even the otherwise meaningless 1 tick flight from a particularly strong hit that doesn't actually move them.  The stairs will provide absolutely no obstruction to their flight and they will fall straight down them to a chunky demise.

In the more recent version I think some may get lucky and halt their fall, but it's likely more because they managed to pass a climbing check and grabbed a wall than being stopped by the stairs.
as I recall installing hatches over the stairs will half their fall, I can't remember how many levels to fall is safe but I usually put a hatch every 3 levels...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36112 on: July 26, 2014, 12:32:20 am »

Mostly naked mole dogs eating puppies and crundles scaring the haulers shitless.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36113 on: July 26, 2014, 12:56:20 am »

Watching Children tantrum because they watched their friends get killed by falling logs while helping deconstruct stairs.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36114 on: July 26, 2014, 03:29:38 am »

My second beast was just a one-eyed toad with a poisonous stinger. The only death came after the toad's thorax falcon-punched a dwarf into a wall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Typical Fighting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bisection (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: didnt stop it (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: decapitation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: didnt stop it (click to show/hide)

Another near death came at that time, when a dwarf almost got absorbed into the aquifer after finishing a pump stack.

I wish the story ended there. Let's just say, I'm glad I saved after slaying the beast ...

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36115 on: July 26, 2014, 08:46:56 am »

After being ceaselessly bothered by kea-people one of them was killed in awesome manner - stabbed through heart and subsequently decapitated.

EDIT: said soldier got subsequently horrified by the sight of death.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

DrLambda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36116 on: July 26, 2014, 09:44:57 am »

I just watched three of my axe lords in full steel armor dodge into my moat from the draw bridge.

Stats for the last 10 dwarven years
Dwarves lost to goblin sieges - 1 (a lucky shot into the back of the head)
Dwarves lost to the wildlife - 1 (picking up something next to a spawning jabberer)
Dwarves lost to Werehorse attacks - 2 (picking up something next to a spawning werehorse)
Dwarves lost to dodging arrows into deep water - 6 (all but one of them Axelords, Macelords and Swordmasters in full metal armor)

I really really wish i never would've built a moat at all. At least there are so many corpses of different creatures in there by now that they should pile up high enough to be able to get out of there soon. Last count was 12 dwarves, 21 goblins, 5 trolls.

I also wish there would be a reasonable option to drain the moat, there are at least 3 dwarven traders in there that haunt my fort and i can't memorialize them because of bugs.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36117 on: July 26, 2014, 10:45:12 am »

Nighttempest had been relatively peaceful for 3 years despite being situated in an untamed, scorching rocky wasteland. They were pursuing a new dawn of dwarven civilization after contact with the Mountainhomes were lost. It flourished and a new king was crowned, either by succession or divine right.

Traders came and went. Food and drink filled the inhabitants with satiation. Potters were pounding out a metaphorical flood of earthenware, powered by recently installed magma kilns. Smiths were honing their skills until they could perfect the metalwork into glorious steel armor and weapons for the military trainees. However, the concern of the lack of passive defenses were growing as the Gauntlet lay unfinished. Then again, no siege armies had ever laid their eyes upon the fort and there were no signs of hostile wildlife, barring the confused Great Horned Owl men. Even digging into caverns were uneventful. The one Gorlak seemed content to sit on his mushroom.

It all came crashing down when traders grew so mesmerized by our food and drink, our prosperity, that their minds couldn't handle the jealousy and drove them insane. A horse went berserk. The bridge leading to the depot was designated as closed but the tide of dwarves descending upon the traders to see what was happening forced that order to be cancelled. Alas, the lever had been pulled and several dwarves were flung across the depot with major injuries, some were crushed by the descending bridge. With nary a hospital nor a well in sight, a hasty effort was made to set up both. But construction time down in the caverns were too long as the first injured dwarves were unable to sate their thirst.

This angered the already weary militia and fist fights killed more dwarves.

Lo' and behold as Nighttempest descends into chaos in a tantrum spiral.

EDIT: Most of the dwarves are now fighting in the barracks. This will be fun.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:50:15 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36118 on: July 26, 2014, 10:50:02 am »

A wereiguana attacked, biting one of the recruits. Although the recruit did kill the wereiguana, the curse was already transmitted. I locked him in a spare bedroom to await the construction of the catacombs and euthanasia chamber.

However, I found something odd in all this. The Chief Medical Dwarf, who is also a bonecarver, was busy carving bones rather than diagnosing the patient. I suspended the bonecraft job(oh hey, the "use all bones in a stack" bug was fixed!), and the CMD immediately went to sleep. That is, he passed out right there in the workshop. And while he was sleeping, he was also crawling towards his bedroom.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36119 on: July 26, 2014, 10:56:55 am »

Aaaand the king is dead. The queen has gone stark raving mad.

I'd say that succession line is pretty much dead.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:08:19 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2406 2407 [2408] 2409 2410 ... 3836