Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2408 2409 [2410] 2411 2412 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841064 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36135 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:11 pm »

One of the first migrants achieved their life's dream in our kitchen with masterwork hen egg roast minced with more eggs and plump helmets. I'd hoped she would have a thought about just achieving her goal, but ... nothing.
And then we discovered and chased some kobolds off the map.
A flock of ravens is still here after spending spring through winter in one particular tree north of the settlement. Earlier one of them fell off it and died.

And now the migrant from earlier is stuck aboverground in a "Fell Tree" trance-like state.
She doesn't move at all in any direction and she is unharmed. I would remove woodcutting but we all know how dwarves are once they've taken on a job. They (A) complete it, (B) cancel:reasons, or (C) they die from potentially related causes. It seems 'A' will never happen, 'B' requires a predictable reason, but 'C' is lookin better all the time. Maybe I'll make a memorial tomb around her.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:49:57 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36136 on: July 27, 2014, 05:33:57 am »

Ugh...some of the necromancer pals' zombies wandered back onto the map. A dwarf who'd just spent a season loading a ton of cage traps specifically to catch zombies if they came back carefully led the zombies *away* from the traps, of course. In fact, he led them in a circuitous route all around the area where they were set up, but carefully never crossing the line of traps. I'm convinced he was in league with the necromancers, because that's beyond stupid. Oh, and his inevitable death has led to a tantrum spiral that's already been the death of the weapon/armorsmith I've been carefully training up for two years so that I can start the militia off with decent equipment and not have them get attached to lousy equipment.

Of course, training decent smiths is extremely tedious (queue jobs with manager, wait, melt cruddy results, continually make charcoal, repeat ad infinitum), and how little chance this fort has of surviving without a militia considering that everything's out to kill it all the time, even if the fort survives the tantrum spiral I'm kind of considering consigning them to their fate. Oh, and fun fact: none of the various murderers feel any remorse (no thoughts about having "accidentally" killed someone).
I think you would be better off with a sub par military than no military. It's not like the zombies are armoured.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36137 on: July 27, 2014, 05:54:02 am »

I have a year's supply of booze and constantly making more, yet half of my fortress is thirsty, just from hauling stuff.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36138 on: July 27, 2014, 07:11:18 am »

A tiny 9-goblin siege arrived.  Early summer of the second year of my fort, which is a bit sooner than I really anticipated but i figured I'd just close the access bridge and be safe.  And then I notice there's one particular spot where my upper gatehouse didnt have a wall complete and they could get in.  Crap, I think, let's assemble my completely untrained and mostly unarmored militia (four of them have copper mail shirts, one has a copper helm, two of them have weapons, and the rest are just meat shields essentially) and see if we can stop this.

Cue dwarves running out through the hole in the wall, goblins breaking their everything, corpses all over the map, etc.  Only one tantrum out of that, surprisingly, despite going from 47 dwarves to 26 in a matter of minutes.  In their defense, the militia did kill a couple of them and the rest turned tail and ran.

Now I have to make a bunch of coffins, gather up all the bloody torn rags that once were dwarven clothes, melt any of the crap that the goblins had, throw the corpses in the graveyard, and PATCH THE BLOODY HOLE IN THE WALL.

Ugh.  Gonna be work for everyone in this fort in the near future.  I just pray no one goes berserk and starts putting their fists through peoples noodles.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36139 on: July 27, 2014, 07:38:04 am »

My engravers are pulling pranks on me.
I designated a small statue garden for my Duchess, and one for my sherrif. I ordered 3 tiles in each room to be engraved.
My engravers just engraved an image of the appointment of the Sherrif, in the Duchess' garden, and an image of the appointment of the Duchess (as expedition leader), in the Sherrif's garden.

EDIT: They are forgiven. I am celebrating finding a magma pool in the very upper cavern, plus my weaponsmith going fey and crafting a nice steel artefact warhammer. I'm not sure if artefact steel hammer > masterwork silver hammer though, because of material weight. I gave it to my hammer captain anyways.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:12:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36140 on: July 27, 2014, 08:26:22 am »

My magma forges are up and running, just in time to start cranking out crossbows and bolts to fuel the war effort come next autumn. The Goblins have just conquered one of our hillocks!
My current project is to create a magma pump stack for high forges and a cosmetic project.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36141 on: July 27, 2014, 10:29:24 am »

Raven:
"A small foreboding black bird that feeds on carrion. It is social, very intelligent, and knows how to use tools."
"Her right lower leg is broken. Her left upper leg is broken. Her left wing is broken,"

There were pretty much no birds in the sky. I'm assuming it somehow injured itself by landing on a tree. Part of me wants to train the bird for war, the other part is looking forward to new lunch meat.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36142 on: July 27, 2014, 10:37:14 am »

http://puu.sh/ateQP/eceae3376f.png

Magma pump stacks almost done, Will be ready soon to fill the magma forge reservoirs on the right side of this picture with magma. The deeper hole in between them can be drained by exactly one level to double as a obsidian farm once the reservoirs are filled. I like making plumbing work(s).

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36143 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:58 am »

Sweet pic, though your layout is very different from mine. I tend ot build more vertically and less horizontally.
Definately hear ya on the power/plumbing works, though I've been limited to water-based designs for now.
Do you plan to power any minecarts into that design??

And F** Yea ! I managed to bait and snare that OneEyed Toad Head into a makeshift dog chamber. No more limb-ripping for that one !! You have no idea how happy I am.
I spent a dozen savescums trying to kill the thing, each one ending like below. But I was able to flee, wall-in, build up, and bait the thing without scumming or losing  single dwarf.

This is what happens when you try to kill an indestructible zombie beast head.
http://i.imgur.com/hvKJlWT.jpg

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36144 on: July 27, 2014, 11:07:20 am »

I tend ot build more vertically and less horizontally.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12179-armtorch
is it really that horizontal? I always thought I had a decent balance between horizontal and vertical. This fort's still young, I only recently breached first caverns, so I'll probably add a few more levels down.

Do you plan to power any minecarts into that design??

I haven't used minecarts yet, ever. They intimidate me somehow.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36145 on: July 27, 2014, 11:36:24 am »

Designated the hospital, and managed to create an underground pool for washing/water source for when the brook freezes in winter. The moment it's designated, the mayor who has had a broken upper spine for years, walks over and plops himself down on one of the beds. It takes a while for the CMD to come over to diagnose and treat him. I can only imagine the conversation there.

CMD: Okay, what made you come running into the hospital today, Mr. Mayor?
Mayor: Well, doc, it's my neck. It's been bothering me for years now, and seeing as we have a new hospital and all...
CMD: I'll just have to take a look at it.

*diagnoses patient*

CMD: I have some bad news. Your spine is broken.
Mayor: Oh my Armok! Will... will I ever walk again?
CMD: It doesn't look good. I do have to perform surgery on it.
Mayor: Oh, well, erm, when are you going to schedule it-
*CMD jams a scalpel into the Mayor's neck, blood gets everywhere
CMD: I'll just suture and put dressing on it, and you'll be treated.
*runs of to get thread and cloth, then sutures and dresses the wound
CMD: I've done all I can. However, a broken spine is a serious, debilitating injury. You may be bed-ridden for the rest of your life.
Mayor: *sigh* Thanks anyway. *gets up, leaves to manage work orders*
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36146 on: July 27, 2014, 03:05:06 pm »

A new world was genned and I'm suprised that the humans survived being in the middle of 3 dwarf empires that are on top of each other while wiping out the neighboring elves and goblins on the dwarf borders.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36147 on: July 27, 2014, 04:01:59 pm »

I finally got my cacame-elf civ to work. Embarking as them now.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36148 on: July 27, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »

I tend ot build more vertically and less horizontally.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12179-armtorch
is it really that horizontal? I always thought I had a decent balance between horizontal and vertical. This fort's still young, I only recently breached first caverns, so I'll probably add a few more levels down.

You're right. The thing that threw me off was the wide spacing of the bedrooms and other workshops / supplies.
I tend to prefer rowhouses / rowpiles, maybe with a little bit of extra room for statues. You can kinda see it in my insane dwarf pic below.

Anyway, I lost many a savescum trying to kill the OneEyed Toad's head after it reanimates. The head seems indestructible (v34.11, no pulping damage).
Side Note: does pulping even work in v40 yet? Like, pulping an animal hair / animal head?
Since the head reanimates ~2500 ticks after loading the save, I gave up on trying to "tame" the bloody battlefield.
I withdrew the militia, and only attempted to dump the beast's thorax, leaving the dead head and the dead axedwarf to reanimate later.
Spoiler: Withdraw (click to show/hide)

One dwarf couldn't handle it. Went nuts on the bridge. We eventually let him back in. He would later perish in his bedroom.
Spoiler: Insane Dwarf (click to show/hide)

For happiness, we started building gears and digging to prepare a mist generator in the dining room.
The thorax would reanimate one-more-time, giving up a good fight before being stuffed into the zombie stockpile once and for all.
Spoiler: Pump Prep (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thorax Attax Part 2 (click to show/hide)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36149 on: July 27, 2014, 05:10:48 pm »

Amazing that you have zombie holding cells in your fort and not a general dump site for the corpses and the like. Can't wait until a dwarf breaks the cells at some point.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2408 2409 [2410] 2411 2412 ... 3836