Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2419 2420 [2421] 2422 2423 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856129 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36300 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:55 am »

That was awesome, Jimmy.

-

Pump stack construction has been set back by at least six months. Dear Armok, this project will never be finished...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36301 on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:19 am »

Wow, the marksdwarf commander redeemed himself.

I stationned him on the roof of the fortress, so in case the titan would move around, he could at least shoot.
But what i didn't expected is that when the commander saw the beast, he ran to the roof corner, climbed down and started to shoot from there !

Difficult to see if it was bravery and wish to redeem himself or if the guy was just completely dumb.

Looks like even high quality wood bolts aren't as good as the ones i used in Adventure mode and killed many goblins with.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36302 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38:20 am »

Wow, the marksdwarf commander redeemed himself.

I stationned him on the roof of the fortress, so in case the titan would move around, he could at least shoot.
But what i didn't expected is that when the commander saw the beast, he ran to the roof corner, climbed down and started to shoot from there !

Difficult to see if it was bravery and wish to redeem himself or if the guy was just completely dumb.

Looks like even high quality wood bolts aren't as good as the ones i used in Adventure mode and killed many goblins with.

LOL. Way to use wooden bolts. What's next? Sending out your candy hammer toting army?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36303 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:11 am »

I have toys craft in my stockpiles, so it's not unthinkable they would use that instead of real weapons.

After all they completely ignored my steel and iron bolts stacks to prefer to use their wooden bolts

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36304 on: August 02, 2014, 10:50:20 am »

It turns out that my embark has cassiterite so I can make bronze. I've never seen a site with this before so I'm quite excited.

The elves had shown up and once again brought me nothing useful. They didn't even bring any seeds that I can use for my above ground farm. I decided to let them live for now. My fort is still young and likely cannot withstand an elven siege. Besides, there always a chance that the elves will appreciate my generosity and bring me something useful next year.

Though you can never trust an elf.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36305 on: August 02, 2014, 10:56:00 am »

After the titan destroyed an elven caravan in a few seconds, i decided to build a ballista on the top of my fortress, ok our only siege operator will be a dabbling one, but maybe he could be lucky.

I decided to name a new marksdwarf commander, he will be alone in the squad and i'll move him to station on the roof, this time in the center so he does not try the stupid stunt of his predecessor

After forging some iron ballista arrow head, i build 3 ballista arrows.
The siege operator loaded the ballista "prepare to fire" and waited for me to tell him to shoot "fire at will".
The first ballista arrow landed rather far from the titan target, oh well it's not a bit of luck that dabbling guy will need but a huge lot of it in order to hit the beast.

The 2nd ballista arrow after reloading was then fired and

Oh well ... i imagine the titan must be laughing seeing those dwarves trying to attack him

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36306 on: August 02, 2014, 10:58:28 am »

So my fort got off to a rocky start.  Goblins showed up early, including an elite crossbow goblin.  He killed a fisher, who was the wife of one of my farmers.  I turtled for a bit, but two got caught in cage traps near the entry.

A year later, the widower farmer has a strange mood.  He produces this:

This game, man.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36307 on: August 02, 2014, 11:25:48 am »

The titan just murdered a whole immigrant wave i counted on to replace my lost marksdwarves.

I decided it was enough and get rid the world of the threat of that powerful titan once and for all..
4 squads of 10 dwarves were quickly drafted and sent to kill the beast :

Most of them will wrestle as my best warriors have already been killed by the terrifying monster.
And if not enough i would draft a couple more squads, though it was more than half the fortress drafted already.

Go my minions, and make your overseer proud !

.. uh oh, everyone is in terror in front of the beast...

After a dozen of seconds, looking at the military screen, on the 40 newly drafted soldiers, 21 are already dead.

14 pages of killing already !
and the beast :

Only an eye bruised !

I drafted more civilians to fill the now vacant positions in my 4 squads.
And sent them to help kill the damn titan that was now shooting webs and kicking people in the main fortress floor.

A dozen of seconds later, according to the military panel
... 20 more dwarves dead.

and reached 19 pages of titan killing dwarves and even animals too, i noticed before the general assault that there were possum heads in the forest, the titan has been genociding the whole map.

But they didn't died in vain, the beast is wounded

correction : the beast has just some few bruises it will regenerate from soon as if it was nothing, guys can you hit a bit harder please ?
I still have 31 citizens left, we can get it guys ! drafting more, more !
Oh, most of them are children, so i could just refill one of the squads this time.

I must say that most of the military spent their time in running away in terror instead of fighting, and as the beast shoot web and rush much faster than everyone, it explain why it didn't really had any challenge.
And some of the guys thought it was a good time to throw a tantrum spiral or go berserk against their friends

what a disaster :D
still some dwarves apparently managed to cut the beast a bit

fun stuff , despite the fortress was on its way to die a very painful death, the few remaining dwarves, while hunted by the titan were still finding time to make an election

The fort had a bit more than 93 pop

the survivors are from the dwarves that managed to run away far enough while the beast was busy destroying my fortress.

At least the good news is that the game run faster now :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:37:42 am by Robsoie »

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36308 on: August 02, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »

A swordsdwarf recently acquired a rotten stomach after facing a particularly nasty secreting beastie. After a day in the hospital, she decided to shrug it off and get back to training before the doctors could even diagnose her.

Meanwhile, the humans bring tributes of fish, cloth, booze, and thread. The elves brought some berries, cheap wooden trinkets, and half a dozen songbirds. For the first time in a very long time, I have been insulted enough to execute traders. Their goods were promptly throne into the caldera of Smithcircles.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36309 on: August 02, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »

Retired a fort after hitting 27 fps with 44 dwarves on a 2x2 embark. This time, to try to keep the fps higher, I did a hermit 1x1 nanofort and am still around 135 after two years. Maybe it's the fliers stuck in the sky. Does anyone know if modding them out helps any?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36310 on: August 02, 2014, 02:57:44 pm »

Why mod them out when you could just remove the [FLIER] tag? Or better yet, use the thermonuclear catsplosion trick.

OT: Two strange moods in two sessions. First one was an adamantine scepter. The second? ADAMANTINE SPEAR. HELL YES.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36311 on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »

First embark on latest version, "RingedRampart", has a stupid river.

I haven't unpaused yet, but I don't see how that could possibly work for over a century of world-gen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:50:44 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36312 on: August 02, 2014, 05:00:25 pm »

I haven't unpaused yet, but I don't see how that could possibly work for over a century of world-gen.

One idea, and one that works for reality at least somewhat, is that there's a very strong upsurge (Punctured aquifier) inside that river somewhere, and it's the source of the water there.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36313 on: August 02, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »

that would make for an awesomely defensive fort! WEAPONIZE IT
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36314 on: August 02, 2014, 06:00:34 pm »

that would make for an awesomely defensive fort! WEAPONIZE IT

I'm kinda curious about that particular world gen and location... Might want to play it for myself.
Pages: 1 ... 2419 2420 [2421] 2422 2423 ... 3836