Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2423 2424 [2425] 2426 2427 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858797 times)

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36360 on: August 04, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »

Despite having weapons, my entire military insists on being wrestlers.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36361 on: August 04, 2014, 07:50:13 pm »

Tearing down a troll-fur tent that was in my embark.

Missed designating one tile in the right order, so a single section of troll fur hit the ground from a height of one urist..

Toll:
9 unconcious dwarves, several with injured arms/necks.
//Torrenal

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36362 on: August 04, 2014, 07:53:03 pm »

Outpost Kindlepaints, 1st Moonstone 201, 18 dwarves; Under Siege

GOOD FUCKING GRIEF IT'S ONLY THE FIRST WINTER WHY IS .40.05 SO CRUEL TO ME

My woodcutter is also an amateur axedwarf, aND SHE'S ASLEEP DOWNSTAIRS THERE ARE 10 GOBLINS COMING TO SLAUGHTER EVERYONE AND SHE'S FUCKING ASLEEP IN THE MAKESHIFT FOOD STOCKPILE NOMAL GET YOUR ASS UP

... I'm gonna draft everybody (they'll die anyway so whatevs) and do a zerg rush. CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE
Operation emergency miner militia go!

Too late, 12 dwarves are dead and all but one is too injured to OH COME ON STOP DOING A JIG WITH THE WOUNDED GUY AND PUT THEM IN THE HOSPITAL ALREADY

Oh yeah, according to Legends Viewer there aren't any actual dwarves in my dwarven civilization. Just goblins.

Edit: Mind you, that's before I embarked anywhere. Now we've stabilized (maybe?) at 2 dwarves. And precious little likelihood of migrants, unless the merchants from autumn come in spring.

On the bright side, if you do survive the first early siege, your fortress is pretty much foolproof safe from goblin attacks :^)

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36363 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:09 pm »

So... anyone know what I can do with three legendary observers in my military?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36364 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »

Post them around the fort, they will spot thieves, ambushes, etc. easier and farther away.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36365 on: August 04, 2014, 08:11:28 pm »

Post them around the fort, they will spot thieves, ambushes, etc. easier and farther away.

Really? Ah. I thought they were as useful as cheesemakers for a second. Thanks!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36366 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:35 pm »

Shotfists got its first artifact. One of the founding stoneworkers went fey and immediately claimed the workshop he was working in, then immediately began working on the artifact with the two stone boulders lying in the workshop with him.

It is Ushdishnimar, "The Saffron Path", a gabbro figurine of the goblin Tekkud Chantedbasements getting struck down by the minotaur Ithru Crystalyearling the Lone Battle of Gleams in the year 865 in the Dunes of Hail, 185 years ago. It's encrusted with gabbro and adorned with hanging rings of granite and worth 3600 dorfbucks.

Nothing fancy, but at least the dwarf had everything he needed, and now we have a legendary stonecrafter to make some easy trade goods.

EDIT:
So the expedition leader, Kadol, finally got a break from mining duties to meet with the outpost liaison. Got my first viewing of the news in the world outside the fortress.
Spoiler: Highlights (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:52:22 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36367 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »

Started seeing a new bug in 40.06: many births with a baby cap of 0:0.  I haven't had a birth in a fort since 34.07->40.05, now.. births all over the damned place, and no-one is even marriage.  It's like the dwarves are arriving pregnant and just popping them out like clown cars.

Also, removed the [FLIER] tag to encourage invasions, and saw no invasions of any kind on my three year 40.06 fort.  So, evidently the undead are still the only reliable !!FUN!! available.

On the other hand, decorating with bone/hoof/horn works quite well, now.  8)  Of course, the only stockpile that will hold them is a refuse pile, which makes them rot away very quickly.. that's not so good.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36368 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:17 pm »

The Stray Dog (Tame) has been found dead.
What?  >:(

All I asked was to chain a dog in the bait hall while clearing out the old corpses. A human corpse goes fine, but a rabbit corpse re-animates en-route to trash site. No biggie, my militia chases it down. But in the 5 seconds that we chased the rabbit zombie, my militia returns to the bait hall and announces "The Stray Dog (Tame) has been found dead." It was one-shotted / brained by the remaining human arm that was next-in-line to dump.

I swear, you can't blink in these biomes. You take a moment to use the bathroom and come back, and stuff is just dropped-dead. What has the world come to?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36369 on: August 04, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »

Started seeing a new bug in 40.06: many births with a baby cap of 0:0.  I haven't had a birth in a fort since 34.07->40.05, now.. births all over the damned place, and no-one is even marriage.  It's like the dwarves are arriving pregnant and just popping them out like clown cars.

It likely has to do with the BABY and CHILD requirements for breeding being removed, which makes reproduction wonky and not follow relationships at all...

That said, I could see bastards being implemented as a feature, when the romance arc starts (obviously not in a broken way like this)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36370 on: August 05, 2014, 01:26:09 am »

Okay, so, I had been fine so far, fulfilling mandates in my fort for a mayor and 3(!) barons in my fort, but now it's been upgraded to a duchy.

Which upgraded all the barons into dukes.

I have 3 dukes. Yeah, I think I'm going to switch my guard from my military dwarves to some weak loosers and stop caring for every single mandate.

The only thing that keeps me from outright thinking of killing them is the bug that allows them to work regardless of your rank. As long as they continue to chisel stone into blocks and carry heavy items to stockpiles, they live.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36371 on: August 05, 2014, 04:29:02 am »

It's raining flux stone but I have no ores of iron. In fact, despite the embark allegedly having both shallow and deep metals, I have no ores of anything.

Seriously, fuck claystone and microcline.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36372 on: August 05, 2014, 08:57:09 am »

It's raining flux stone but I have no ores of iron. In fact, despite the embark allegedly having both shallow and deep metals, I have no ores of anything.

Seriously, fuck claystone and microcline.

Urg... hate this.  Send out some exploratory shafts in empty levels... just make sure to wall them up again if they are unproductive to conserve valuable FPS.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36373 on: August 05, 2014, 09:32:01 am »

According to Dwarf Therapist, my hermit is ecstatic from throwing one hundred and eighty-nine things. Which is weird because I'm pretty sure I don't have one hundred and eighty-nine things in the whole fortress.
You know that you can throw same thing multiple times, right?
After a thing has been thrown, it becomes a forbidden thing, which dwarves will not touch. I didn't unforbid any things during this tantrum rampage.
Did You mess with the <o>rders screen at all? 'Cause there's an option to claim fired ammo that didn't break on impact and objects thrown during a tantrum count as "ammo". The option is disabled by default, but if you toggled it, your fort will never forbid anything that's been thrown.
Nope, didn't touch it. Also, I looked at the scene of the throwing and the coffins that got thrown were definitely forbidden.
Actually, even if tantrumming dwarves could still pick up and throw forbidden things, shouldn't she have stopped the tantrum after getting boosted way out of Miserable?
Was anything in the coffins?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36374 on: August 05, 2014, 11:21:15 am »

Forgot to brew new booze, and several dwarves died. I sold their clothes to the caravan.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 2423 2424 [2425] 2426 2427 ... 3836