Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862192 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36915 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:07 am »

The child Mörul Tomeplaited skidded to her death in the middle of the food stockpile, being the latest victim of the mysterious plague of flying dwarves. So far there have been over twenty cases where a dwarf suddenly gets airborne and crashes into floor or walls, with occasionally fatal results.

I often see dwarves stuck in "falling" state (blue background) in doorways or corridors; most of them recover after ten seconds or so but once I've witnessed a dwarf crash this way into a wall.

I can't sure but I've got a feeling that burrow assignments to be somehow connected to this phenomenon.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36916 on: September 01, 2014, 11:56:31 am »

17th Granite, 152, Early Spring.

Even though their caravan from last year mysteriously disappeared, elf queen Caraca Ataforofa has dispatched a second group of traders to our fledgling mountainhome. Fortunately, they didn't notice that nobody ever got around to disposing of the skeletons on the hillside...
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36917 on: September 01, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

Diamondmoss, the fortress mentioned earlier that has a legendary armor smith and is running out of booze, has another interesting story I neglected to tell. So, Bëmbul was a farmer. She was married and dreamed of raising a family. One day, a were moose attacked and killed six Dwarves, including her husband and brother. She was bitten. Hand spraying blood, spine broken, and head dented she was laid to rest in a random room and the door was locked. It was believed that she would die, but her fate was not so, for she transformed into a beast before she could dehydrate or starve. After another month and transformation, she became melancholy, but before she could die, she always transformed, healing herself of all ailments. She lived in this horrid way for years, her one day, she had a visitor.
"Hello Bëmbul," he said.
She made no reply.
"We need you," continued he.
"For what would you need such a monster?" she responded.
"We're at war. The Elves. Normally, we'd stomp their corpses into the dirt, but they're not the ones fighting, the Goblins are. The Elves are the puppet-masters, and they have used the creatures to wage a terrible war upon our homeland. We need soldiers, we need you. I'm a Dwarven Scientist, and I believe that we can spread your... condition to breed a new form of super soldier."
"You're asking me to spread the curse?!" she objected.
"Oh no, my dear. We're not asking."
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36918 on: September 01, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »

Embarked on a distant island, in untamed wilds... perhaps the goblins will never reach the place, but I doubt it.

Set up a dozen or so cage traps to try to catch and tame the local giant animals. So far, we only have a wombat and two emus (the regular, non-giant variety), but it's only a matter of time...

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36919 on: September 01, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »

I started a new fort by the sea and am under constant attack by goblins and elves so i set up a fishing room with a roof on it over the sea.
At first i was annoyed by the waves washing over my fishers all the time, until i saw they actually enjoy it and consider it a nice bath :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So now im going to have to move my meeting hall up to the surface so all dwarves can bathe.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36920 on: September 01, 2014, 04:58:55 pm »

A trainee axedwarf took on 2 kobolds for 'notable kills', 2 other kobolds and 2 giant wolverines all with his trusty (and now sentimentally attached to) apple wood training axe! I may just promote him to militia commander instead of my other dwarf... once he's finished healing from the hospital of course.

However, I just realised he's also married with 2 kids (no joke), all of whom are in my fort. Oh, friends with the mayor, sheriff, hammerer, chief medical.... I think retirement my be the better choice for him lol

Nah, just make him so badass and always keep him with a full squad of elite dwarves at his side that the only way he'd die would be from old age. My militia commanders are always the roughest, toughest, most-kills-to-their-name-in-all-the-military dwarves.

Durantinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36921 on: September 01, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »

Conquerbolt was a surface fort built out of wood logs in a Savage Woodland using the MW mod. The design was based off of a Vauban-esque Citadel style fort, although it never was completed. Only the outer wall and some of the rooftop fortifications on the east side got completed.
I set the quantity of migrants to zero so I only get the initial 7 and the 2 hardcoded waves so about 24 initially and with births about 30. The fort subsisted heavily off of crops of all sorts and had a bit of hunting/fishing.

Things were fine and dandy as I'd just found some iron and was just beginning to get steel weapons when the Balrog Chabeni Abinobeiba attacked. This mofo proceeded to light the entire map ablaze with his molten sword and his Cat o 9 tails whip but thankfully I'd got the bridge gate shut in time to keep him out. I proceeded to bait the bastard with opening and shutting the gate and pounding him with bone bolts from the forts incomplete walls.

Eventually, I flew too close to the sun and he got in and proceeded to butcher/burn everything, dwarf or animal, for about 10 minutes. Finally, I only had one dwarf left and it looked to be the end. That cocky bastard thought he had the last laugh...until a boozebelly goat crept up from behind and gored him in the head with his tusk and the monster dropped.

Obviously, this fort is caput but it was a hell of a fight.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36922 on: September 01, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »

Kinda wishing the J-M menu allowed for work orders of larger than 30 at a time, or that work orders could be set to repeat.
Because navigating the flood of orders I've designated in order to change some priorities is way too slow.

Also, my hunters are finally actually hunting again, and those goddamn keas finally left the map, taking an -Iron Mace- with them. So now I have enough food, finally, that I can allow my farmers to do stuff other than farm now.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36923 on: September 01, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »

Okay that was the last piece of candy I could safely get from a spire. Netted me a decent 140 raw candy stones, all safely in between the 3d cavern and magma.
I wonder, how many stones does a single dwarf need, to get to legendary strand extractor? (Besides taking very much time)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36924 on: September 01, 2014, 08:40:15 pm »

Okay that was the last piece of candy I could safely get from a spire. Netted me a decent 140 raw candy stones, all safely in between the 3d cavern and magma.
I wonder, how many stones does a single dwarf need, to get to legendary strand extractor? (Besides taking very much time)

I hate you. My last candy spire was complely hollow for for 20+ z-levels.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

pmmeyourfortress

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36925 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »

I started a nano-fort in a white sand desert.

Now I'm blind.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36926 on: September 01, 2014, 11:46:07 pm »

Mmmm, watching a tantrum spiral in my challenge game.  Don't think I'm pulling out of this one  :P.

EDIT:  Actually, I might be wrong about that, provided I don't get sieged or something.  Have 4 dwarves who all won a lot of fist fights against tantruming dwarves.  All of them are ecstatic about their won fights, so they might actually come out the other end of this thing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:54:17 pm by Tacomagic »

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36927 on: September 02, 2014, 02:23:43 am »

Just making some excellent weapons for my Hammer lords, my Hammer lord militia commander got a particularly excellent weapon relating to himself.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36928 on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:56 am »

Just, you know, chilling next to a haunted ocean.
-A Cloud of profane fog rolls in!- Cool, it's only all the way over there. This'll be fine, right? Wait. Why is my dwarf unconscious?

And all my dwarves  on the beach (one, to begin with) swell and begin to rot and bleed. When they pass out, another dwarf walks into the fog to rescue them. Thankfully I got a bone doctor migrant who is very resistant to disease, and he seems to walk in and out without much issue. I think with the rain it doesn't spend much time actually touching him. Anyway, he packs everyone into the hospital zone where they promptly miasma up the place, and the fort in general screeches to a halt while literally everyone recuperates and many surgeries are done. Soon, the rot spreads to the bones, and my bone doctor uses up all my splints patching up the first case(8! two for each limb). Trying to get ahead of it, I put in an order for 30 more splints. It's not enough. Eventually everyone seems okay and people aren't leaking purple anymore. Wait, why is everyone terrible? Oh. Everyone is blind, except for the bone doctor and my militia commander.

Oh no, a giant crab corpse! We'd better hide.. oh a dog injured it and removed a leg or two, it's probably safe to engage. Militia commander go! Activate reservists!

Oh. They're blind, aren't they. Not amazingly helpful. Oh balls, the militia commander had his head pulped. And now he came back to life. It's like Day of the Triffids meets Night of the Living Dead up in here. How'd he get inside? Can 30 blind dwarves take on one armored zombie if they gang up on him all at once? -splortch- no. they can't. That's it for the beach resort I guess.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36929 on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:16 am »

Started a new 40.10 fort.
Decided I could make my own picks and axes, so I brought bituminous coal, cassiterite, and tetrahedrite so I could make bronze tools. Get to the site: No fire safe material available to build a wood burning furnace.

Fortunately, there is lots of wood available so I made a training axe and started chopping. Everybody got assigned to carpentry duties so a small wooden shack got built in no time and the food was hidden away inside.

Two migrant waves came, introducing two legendary gem cutters, a legendary bone carver, a legendary glazer, a legendary leatherworker, a legendary planter, a legendary soap maker, a legendary spinner, a legendary architect, a great tanner, and a great fish worker. Typical age: 130.
Probably should begin work on a cemetery.

Nearby is The Mire of Plague, a terrifying mangrove swamp. It seems to be a favoured hangout for the local birds. Except it regularly rains some nauseating mucus which knocks them out of the sky, causing endless combat reports. The few birds that died have not reanimated, so we should be mostly safe.

The dwarven caravan has arrived, we're saved! Wait, why are their combat reports coming in. The caravan has uncovered kobolds.

Pages: 1 ... 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 ... 3836