Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2462 2463 [2464] 2465 2466 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789692 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36945 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

[T]he high speed mine cart powered colony delivery system basically shot the starting seven across the world and they landed with a bit of a bump.

That is pure awesome! I'm just imagining the embark process as something similar to a low-tech rocket launch now.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #36946 on: September 03, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

Aren't you glad that everyone around you will be carrying a lethal weapon?  Doesn't that make you feel really safe?  The Overseer is concerned for your safety.

This fortress sponsored by the NRA.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36947 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:53 pm »

A werecapybara came. Killed a horse, a piglet, a useless dwarf, a semi-useful dwarf, and one tick before changing back to human form, he bit the blacksmith on the upper lip. I have been unable to determine if he's infected, as the combat report implied the part was badly torn up, but examining his dwarf page shows it to be just a bruise.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #36948 on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »

Nomal Idensovat is married to Rimtar Heldwhips and he has 7 children.

He personally does not particulary value the truth and does not care about family one way or another. 

Hmmmm.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36949 on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

The fortress of Bigbell now has more radishes than dwarves. It is only a matter of time until they take over.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36950 on: September 03, 2014, 04:55:11 pm »

Epic tantrum spiral took the fortress from 200 some dorfs to 2 (and twenty some children.) An Axe Lord and the Vampire Mayor. The vampire, thanks to bureaucratic snafu is now permanently chained in his cell for a long-paid debt to society for murder.

It's charming seeing the Axe Lord's daughter follow her around through the wreckage as she picks up the pieces.

Got a half dozen migrants, and now we're building coffins and burying the dead like there's going to be a tomorrow.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36951 on: September 03, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »

I can't believe these maple trees are visually deploying their "whirly-bird" seeds.. Never knew they were called 'samaras', but they are.. DF: Much Realism, Such Discovery.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36952 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »

Running a Fallout:Equestria mod "stable", and I've just realized I have very little food production capacity, way too many ponies. WHY IS EVERYONE A USELESS FARMING VARIANT?
I'd assign some to a smoothing brigade, but I don't need anything smoothed. I'd give them drills, but there's no real point in mining now that I have a ton of room for anything I'd want. Maybe I could exterminate the more friendless ones?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36953 on: September 03, 2014, 06:28:12 pm »

Early in 250, the hillock of Pricemines was founded. Strike the earth!
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36954 on: September 03, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »

My forts spiral is finally starting to wind down, though I'm still not totally safe yet.

Apparently having five children die within a week has a negative effect on the populations overall attitude.

EDIT: A few minutes after posting this two Dwarves went berserk, then leading to a few more insanities, and a drop from 36 Dwarves to 14. With half of the recent deaths due to one of my Hammer Lords who threw a tantrum right where I had built some emergency coffins, decimating anyone that tried to entomb our recently deceased.

This being the first spiral I've had in the new version, or in a while regardless of version, I shall be watching it until the end. Especially since several of them have been Ecstatic throughout all the madness.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:36:32 am by Repseki »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36955 on: September 03, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »

(Zombie Troll + Young Fortress + Militia Spearmen)*Reanimating biome > How much !!FUN!! I can handle.

RIP Eathammers.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36956 on: September 03, 2014, 09:40:28 pm »

I decided to try to reclaim a ruin for the first time today. I also decided that this time I wouldn't build a bridge to seal myself in, nor use any traps. I started with a skilled spearman with a bronze spear, helm and mail shirt, plus ore to make more bronze to finish his outfit.

Embark went smoothly, everything was unloaded, bronze armor quickly made for my speardwarf. This was right at the beginning of summer, on the 1st or 2nd of Hematite. He had just headed down the passage to explore the old fort when a kobold ambush appeared outside the fort's entry. The 5 dogs waiting just inside rushed out while the speardwarf ran up the ramps as fast as he could go. Two dogs managed to kill a kobold recruit, but at the same time, a kobold swordsman killed two others, and the final dog was getting turned into a pincushion by the kobold archers. By the time the speardwarf got back up, all but one dog was dead, and the live one wasn't looking too good, plus the fort's cat was also badly injured by arrows. I turned off woodcutting on the woodcutter to free up his axe and drafted the mason, hoping he'd grab the axe on his way up to the surface. The speardwarf quickly engaged the swordsman, killing him. He then started making shish-kebabs of the other kobolds. By the time the mason showed up, only one kobold spearman was left, and he was truly horrified. The mason charged at him, barehanded (so much for grabbing the axe), punched once or twice, then got a spear in the gut. The kobold tried to run away, but my spearman chased him down.

At the end, my spearman had 8 kills and I'd lost 4 dogs, had one mason puking his guts out, and half-dead dog and cat dragging themselves back into the fort. No one was interested in bringing the mason back inside, even though I had a hospital and a Chief Medical DroidDwarf.

But that didn't really turn out to matter, because on the 7th of Hematite (the 7th day of summer), a vile force of darkness arrived. Ten well-armed goblins arrived, within bow range of my front entrance. They couldn't have arrived on the far side of the map, could they? I burrowed the civilians underground, and planned on getting the speardwarf down there too, so he could engage at close range in the tunnels. But the goblins chased the cat into the courtyard of the fort before he got down, so he charged at them to fight in the open, at 1 to ten odds, including a number of goblin archers.

The valiant spearman traded misses for a bit with a goblin maceman, then got hit in the neck, bruising the nervous tissue. But he fought on, until getting hit in the right shoulder, breaking it and causing him to drop his spear. Then the other arm got hit and his shield was gone. At this point I threw in the towel and put every dwarf in a squad and told them to kill the macegoblin. The fight was mercifully quick.

WTF? 8 kobolds and 10 goblins by the 7th day of summer? Oh yeah, that was survivable with only a military defense.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36957 on: September 03, 2014, 11:44:22 pm »

The goblins ambushed and were turned back.  Meanwhile, one of my marksdwarves is slowly, but surely, beating a Goblin Lasher to death with his crutch.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36958 on: September 04, 2014, 12:09:31 am »

While holed up in the fort hiding from a siege of 39 undead goblins and dwarves I decided to go ahead and access the first cavern layer for non-surface wood and hopefully water (there was water!)..

Things were going well since I'd just got my hands on some ore to finally smelt for some weaponry beyond training axes when a winged giant-ice-humanoid emerged from the cavern layer (beware deadly spittle!)..

I promptly sent my poorly trained 3-man wrestler army against it and they all got exploded.. As it rose into the fort I had 'Lever Yanker' Okangmuthkat do what he does, which is to yank the lever and open the drawbridge to the undead huddled outside, which succeeded..

Once it breached my dining room (31x45 fully engraved, 26 statues, 26 tables and 52 chairs) this happened:

Ah, and the baby's 'Gamama' is splashed across the meeting area a couple tiles away, along with a sibling.. :)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:14:45 am by dwarf_reform »

Isharia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36959 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:39 am »

I am pleased with this result.  The damn unicorns charged the poor thing once it got near.
Pages: 1 ... 2462 2463 [2464] 2465 2466 ... 3835