Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2471 2472 [2473] 2474 2475 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864727 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37080 on: September 11, 2014, 02:22:38 pm »

I solved my forgotten beast extract problem.

By drowning my hospital and everyone in it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37081 on: September 11, 2014, 02:24:59 pm »

Used embark anywhere to embark near a tower, but found a group of human soldiers leaving the now-empty tower, covered in blood.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37082 on: September 11, 2014, 03:10:00 pm »

I actually laughed at that one.
Meanwhile, my expedition leader was just scared to death by a ghost.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37083 on: September 11, 2014, 06:25:02 pm »

Encountered an irritating bug in my newest reclaim of Brokenmirrors ((the fort that dies when goblins so much as spit near it)); everyone is just static. No movement of either my dwarves or my animals ((wild animals are fine)). Still playing in 40.11 so it's probably fixed in 40.12.

Left that fort retired in the care of the seven dwarves of the Scarlet Sister, and now it's time to start a new fort~

Did you try hitting <space> to unpause?

Just asking...

;)

Keith

Yes. All the wildlife was mobile ::)

Also, according to the liaison, that fort was quickly overrun in the background. Again.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37084 on: September 11, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »

So I'm embarking on a nice looking, very unassuming spot. Then, I notice an elk bird walks by. I get confused, pause, then check the area. A cyclops happens to be thudding around, swarmed by friendly olm men and elk birds. So while I'm arming my soldiers with wooden shields and copper weapons to go and fight this threat, I check the combat reports. The cyclops is completely uninjured, dodging all blows sent at it. I send a few pick and copper short sword armed soldiers after it, six of my dwarves, while the seventh starts work on cutting down trees.  The cyclops rather easily, with a few fat tears, kills my six dwarves. He starts walking towards where my wood cutter is, when he's struck down! A falling log just killed him, when six dwarves, an entire colony of olm men, and a flock of elk birds, scratched him a little.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37085 on: September 11, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »

So I'm embarking on a nice looking, very unassuming spot. Then, I notice an elk bird walks by. I get confused, pause, then check the area. A cyclops happens to be thudding around, swarmed by friendly olm men and elk birds. So while I'm arming my soldiers with wooden shields and copper weapons to go and fight this threat, I check the combat reports. The cyclops is completely uninjured, dodging all blows sent at it. I send a few pick and copper short sword armed soldiers after it, six of my dwarves, while the seventh starts work on cutting down trees.  The cyclops rather easily, with a few fat tears, kills my six dwarves. He starts walking towards where my wood cutter is, when he's struck down! A falling log just killed him, when six dwarves, an entire colony of olm men, and a flock of elk birds, scratched him a little.

Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch~

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37086 on: September 11, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »

Ha, hadn't seen this before..  I was doing some testing for a terrifying glacier embark, and my dwarves had a run in with a Polar Bear Corpse (animated undead)..

The Administrator punches The Polar Bear Corpse in the upper body with his right hand, bruising the fat and bruising the right lung!
The Clerk scratches The Polar Bear Corpse in the head and the injured part is torn apart!
Atír Ethadudil, Administrator: I have fallen for Thîkut Inkskull.  I feel such love!
Thîkut Likotnekol, Clerk: Oh, Atír Decentlantern...  I feel such love!

So, evidently, for these two, killing Polar Bear Undead is their version of romance.

I finally find the time to check the forums after a hiatus, and I find this.
Thank you.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37087 on: September 11, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »

I've discovered that being at peace with wildlife does not necessarily mean the wildlife is at peace with you.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37088 on: September 12, 2014, 03:50:44 am »

It's pleasing to know that Crundles now flee in terror at the mere sight of a dwarf~

In other news, I set up several layers of passive defense, waiting for the sucker punch goblin sieges... And none come. I'm not even that far from my old fort.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37089 on: September 12, 2014, 03:57:51 am »

Crundles may be even more of pushovers, but troglodyte packs can actually be dangerous, if they outnumber you and you're military is just starting out. Six skilled, competent, and novice soldiers went charging in to cleanse the cavern, killing off almost everything, until ten troglodytes showed up. One broken finger bone, then the whole thing broke. They knocked out my axe dwarf with that finger, and eventually whacked so hard his head exploded, punched through the copper breastplate of another, killing him, ganged up on a pair of hammer dwarves, killed them, broke a few bones on the two swordwarves, then movies on to kill a giant cave spider. Dayum, they got tough.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37090 on: September 12, 2014, 08:41:58 am »

Just caught a GCS in the cage trapped entrance to the caverns!

Now to figure out an effective way to harvest GCS silk....

I wonder which is better - leaving the GCS wild for easier silk collection, or taming it to feed sieges to it? Not that I've had sieges lately, mind, even though every liason visit has tales of my civ getting overrun..
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37091 on: September 12, 2014, 09:07:41 am »

So my caged Unicorns are untameable, are they? Time to visit the RAWs~ 0:)

I saw a Troglodyte moving around over a completely watered-in section of cavern. I want to shoot one off the ceiling now.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37092 on: September 12, 2014, 09:57:04 am »

Have built and tested my GCS silk farm now. Works wonderfully. Was tested extra well by one of the fortress' many dwarven children, who went and stood right next to the GCS fortifications.... baiting the GCS to spit lots and lots and lots of web. Unfortunately for that brave soul, when the bridge went up to block the GCS from view she was crushed. Presumably crushed anyway.

But what a way to go.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37093 on: September 12, 2014, 11:53:46 am »

I've never actually lost a fortress (always could seal myself in if something showed up my military couldn't handle). I decided to try a game where I wouldn't wait out any siege. I could forbid a door to give my militia some time to assemble, but I had to take the fight to the enemy.

I had a lot of trouble getting my fortress started, because it was an evil biome where it rained filth, making my dwarves vomit, and contaminating the drinking water. I decided to only start with an axe, a pick, and an anvil, so my dwarves had to be outside a lot to gather plants so I wouldn't starve. Tantrums resulted in the death of 1-2 dwarves per season, and then in the second summer a small force of goblins arrived. Because my fortress was so far behind, my militia was only 3 poorly-trained dwarves, so my fortress fell.

This means I got to try my first ever reclaim! I arrived in the fall, and between clearing out ambushes, ghostly possessions, and tantrums lost 2 dwarves by winter's end. A small goblin siege appeared just before spring, and I was unable to hold them off.

Attempt 2 I didn't even survive the whole season. When the goblins arrived, there was only one sane, uninjured dwarf left, and they were not Urist McClane.

The third attempt started with only a few minor injuries, and for the first time I survived until not only the caravan, but also the migration wave, bringing 9 fresh new dwarves! My original 7 were in good shape, and I'd managed to upgrade their copper weapons and leather armor to bronze everything. When the Vile Force of Darkness arrived, they sallied forth to face the goblin soldiers...wait, what? An elf, 4 dwarves, and 5 humans, with no weapons or armor? Well that didn't take long to deal with.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37094 on: September 12, 2014, 08:17:39 pm »

The first (and last) Mountainhome was destroyed over a hundred years ago.
In 228 the 7 Dwarves of The Dust struck the earth to create Nightcontrols The Last Bastion!
   ...In the middle of the desert.
My 3 sheep and rams were starving so I quickly dug to and found the first cavern... to discover a muddy, plantless waste. Oddly more barren than the surface (the entrance grew a few plants sometimes, pebble grass and succulent toes? What?!)
To save my sheep I dug further, deeper, faster... only to hit semi-molten rock at -73. So I went up a bit and off to the side and hit it again at -65.
So I go to -50, strike west hard and then have a shaft up... and hit a green cavern! I let it sit for a moment and have a dwarf wall it up. My sheep will have delicious grass!

1 Week later...
No grass yet in sight and my sheep are starving. I guess it's time for venison :'(. I vow to keep a spot of grassy-ness for future animals.
1 more Week later...
The wood, she's gone and I forga ta bring me axe! How will we get more?! I sit upon oodles of veins of metal but have no fuel of any kind!

Sometime later...
Dwarf caravan arrives (weird how our efforts are legendary in the destroyed mountainhome, and legends says it was destroyed) with no liaison of course. We trade and leave us much wood richer. Unfortunately I forget about training axes again so it all goes to beds :-[ for the new migrants and an accident.

Second migrant wave 2 people arrive as passing acquaintances of some Starting 7 members. Aside from that everything goes normally. Rooms for all 20 of the dwarfs, mini-militia with obsidian swords (turns out these take a log, guess where my reserved logs went ::)). The year ends, the married dwarf becomes Queen (I had someone lined up for as King >:(), and we prepare the throne room.

Praises be! The elves have arrived bearing wood! The Legendary stonecrafter churns out oodles of mugs and buys everything of use. The elves were quite lucky, if they hadn't come bearing logs I would have decorated the map with their corpses. I need me wood.

Later on we get... another migrant wave? Weird, but I can deal.

9 Dwarfs later...
When will it end?!? The yearly autosave's pop and sites file said there were 26 dwarves in existence, and now I am at 29 with the wave showing no sign of stopping!! At least these guys are super skilled, it's not like anything super ridiculous is going-

*Headdesk*
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 2471 2472 [2473] 2474 2475 ... 3836