Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2480 2481 [2482] 2483 2484 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788538 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37215 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:35 pm »

I actually just dragged my vampire into hammering as he was leading biting demonstration
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37216 on: September 22, 2014, 02:31:54 pm »

I should rename my fortress "The house of horror". Not only I've got a vampire on the loose, I had werebeast pandemic just recently and now everyone is horrified at werebeast bodyparts. How do I get rid of them, they don't go to refuse, or garbage dump.

This seems to have started when Toady made this change in 40.13:
(*) Made outside refuse order respect inside/outside instead of above ground/subterranean

Now it's challenging to get dwarves to pick up refuse inside (or maybe below ground). I played with the refuse gathering orders and at one point they started putting creepy crawler remains in garbage zones, but I don't recall what setting did it. It wasn't anything that made sense. Hopefully Toady will fix it in 40.14.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37217 on: September 22, 2014, 03:06:48 pm »

The Minotaur Love Shack is finished, and the captured minotaurs, Uthret Fisttunnels the Spit of Subtlety and Steammighty the Fangs of Harvesting, have been locked in for their honeymoon. Now all we can do is wait and hope that life, uh, finds a way.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37218 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »

I departed from embark with a proficient biter. After they trained up to professional teacher they are now leading BITING DEMONSTRATIONS. I can only imagine rows of dwarves snapping at the air in unison.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Never underestimate biting. I once had a Dwarf hack at a Troll, and get her axe stuck into it. She then looked it in the eye and bit it's arm, bruising a bone. While the beast recovered, she seized her axe and spilt its guts. Bëmbul then became our champion.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37219 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:22 pm »

Biting someone in Adventure mode allowed me to prevent them from dodging, or so I thought. Not sure if this works well in Dwarf mode.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37220 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »

I've had a cook (upset about her husband dying) bite a goblin siege to blood and body parts. She singlehandedly (Singlemouthedly?) ended the siege. She got promoted to military status. Never saw her lead a biting demonstration though.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37221 on: September 22, 2014, 05:46:13 pm »

As weird as it may seem, biting is one of the best supplementary unarmed moves. A bite that connects will usually latch on, establishing a hold. That prevents enemies from dodging, forces them to waste at least one combat turn breaking the hold and can be used for "shaking", which can sever limbs and open arteries.
I played a .34 adventurer who relied mostly on biting/shaking against everything less than horse-sized. With a bit of training, it was brutally effective. Biting combined with wrestling was also an effective way to handle night trolls with a stark naked character.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37222 on: September 22, 2014, 06:03:03 pm »

The Minotaur Love Shack is finished, and the captured minotaurs, Uthret Fisttunnels the Spit of Subtlety and Steammighty the Fangs of Harvesting, have been locked in for their honeymoon. Now all we can do is wait and hope that life, uh, finds a way.

I am at work, and I almost laughed out loud.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37223 on: September 22, 2014, 10:23:02 pm »

Built a statue garden in my outdoor walled courtyard to try and combat cave adaptation. A party has started there, and everything around it is turning green as the dwarves arrive. It's just not a proper dwarven party until everyone has puked.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37224 on: September 22, 2014, 11:36:06 pm »

Alright, so I tried again. Somehow those five remaining dwarves scraped everything back together. Some migrants showed up despite the danger. I bumped the population back up higher than it was pre-disaster. Now it's all going to hell due to a stupid decision on my part. I thought the zombies would have been distracted a bit longer with harassing camels. I had the entrance walled up, but I really wanted to replace the bridge that a tantrum had ruined before. (didn't notice until now) Unfortunately, the slowest builder in the fort decided to come build the bridge. Even worse, I waited just a bit too long to suspend the job and rebuild the wall and turtle. So now about twenty undead are ripping apart anything alive in my fort.

This was my fault. I shouldn't have done that. I can live with this. This kind of losing is fun. The whole coastal fort wasn't going right anyway. We're four years in and I have yet to see any ocean creatures show up. No sharks, no whales, nothing. So screw it. Let it burn.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37225 on: September 23, 2014, 06:26:27 am »

Whoa whoa, quite the bloodshed we've got here. Apparently the bodies are troglodytes and.... ant soldiers?!? And for some reason a giant toad.

Edit: Oh, there's one alive in the second image. ATTACK!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:28:10 am by FireCrazy »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37226 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:01 am »

Bloodshed?

Repost from the favorite tech thread, but I invented a bloodcano accidentally.

I was playing in a really nice looking spot, except the gobs were refusing to show up, by the second year I had been busy updating the military gearing, getting artifact micromanagement down better, and decided to set up a trauma chamber to clear out the billion crundles and whatnot I ended up with after I opened the caverns and set up cage traps at various chokepoints.

I had originally built a big drop shaft going through all the main rooms, and decided to set up fortifications around them and repurpose the drop shaft into a waterfall/mist-generator as well.

To keep the drop/disposal capabilities I have a drawbridge under the impact hatch so I can have both open and let water pour through, giving nice thoughts from the mist, or I can close them and splatter stuff, then let the chunks drop into the caverns right?

Well, my first try after getting the waterfall additions done (note that I originally had the bottom bridge set up as an atomsmasher, so it is linked to the same lever as the hatch) had uh... unexpected amazing results.

The room after dropping all the crundles, something like 30 of them:
Naturally it's a mess.

The fall was long enough that chunks actually made it a couple levels up:

So I'm like "ok, I'll drop the trolls/reachers/rutherers/possibly-elk-birds-if-they-don't-fly later, time to clean up", and I have them pull the hatch lever.

The results were... unexpectedly fantastic.
Yes, a volcano of bodyparts and gore, erupting upwards through multiple levels of living area, is not what I intended, or expected, but I will chalk it up as "happy accident", though it did injure a couple of dwarves when I was trying to figure out what happened and closed the hatch again, two of the dorfs to the right were clunked by corpseparts >.>, but they calmed down once I got the mist going again:

"Suffered injuries recently. Was comforted by a lovely waterfall recently."

:D

I did unlink the bridge so it is on a different lever now, because while it was awesome, and I giggled for half an hour every time I thought about it, I don't need a legendary hammerdorf killed by flying bodyparts during another bloodcano.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37227 on: September 23, 2014, 07:55:23 am »

Oh, I just discovered new feature of 2014 version - rootpocalypse.

Tree just somehow collapsed several tiles into the ground and killed my dwarf in his bedroom, or something like that. Point is, the bed was vaporised.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37228 on: September 23, 2014, 09:09:32 am »

Nice. I've been thinking of putting cage traps in the caverns, I might do something similar.. involves an arena, some thrones, and my millitary..

You may be interested to know that one of my marksdwarves just went to sleep in the middle of nowhere while on a dwarven expedition to map the very same caverns. I suppose since I sealed the cavern after they went in he couldn't path to a bed, and so his dwarven mind just decided to go to sleep right there..

Oh and - a tree collapsed on me earlier and destroyed a brewery and a farm plot, in the exact same circumstances.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37229 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:28 am »

A giant coati stole bolts from quiver when the hunter chained it up!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.
Pages: 1 ... 2480 2481 [2482] 2483 2484 ... 3835