Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2488 2489 [2490] 2491 2492 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788951 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37335 on: October 01, 2014, 08:00:56 pm »

After I lost the first miner into the magma, I decided that I needed to be a little more careful with how I designate mining and channeling jobs.

After I lost the third one, I decided that drinking while playing Dwarf Fortress was a bad idea lots of FUN!.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37336 on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »

New world generated and I saw that [magnetic] poles were added into advance world gen. Did anyone catch this in an earlier update? Or is this new?

Haven't seen them called [magnetic] poles, but yes, the option whether to have either a south or north pole specifically, north OR south, have both, random, or none was added several versions ago.

Creature made of fire has come and is swimming in the underground lake. I was not prepared to see this.

UPD: I killed it and now one of my dwarves is hauling its "neck flames". Is this normal?

Yes it's normal

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37337 on: October 01, 2014, 08:37:39 pm »

Playing the hermit challenge with my first fort in the 40.xx world.  Due to my embark minerals and my restriction on ever using anything from the outside world, I'm going to have to make a candy minecart if I want to move magma up to the upper levels of my fort.  6 wafers.  I think its going to be worth it, but damn.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37338 on: October 01, 2014, 08:41:20 pm »

Playing the hermit challenge with my first fort in the 40.xx world.  Due to my embark minerals and my restriction on ever using anything from the outside world, I'm going to have to make a candy minecart if I want to move magma up to the upper levels of my fort.  6 wafers.  I think its going to be worth it, but damn.

Why not just use iron?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37339 on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:27 pm »

I'm guessing his "due to my embark minerals" means he has no iron ore.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37340 on: October 01, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

The miner and woodcutter I'm considering the noble caste of feudal Tomesdays. I have their homes build. 4x6 square floors with a statue and a bed. Roofs too. If they work even harder, they may even get their own dining room. The rest I'll consider serfs and place in who knows where.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37341 on: October 01, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »

I think I'm going to go file a bug report or something, I have 5 complaints of Disorderly Conduct all filed by a dog. All against one farmer, with several witnesses to each.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37342 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:09 pm »

I think I'm going to go file a bug report or something, I have 5 complaints of Disorderly Conduct all filed by a dog. All against one farmer, with several witnesses to each.

Hopefully you have the save.

Also, are you sure you aren't misreading it as being filed by the dog?

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37343 on: October 02, 2014, 02:02:56 am »

Just checked out how fort retirement works.
After 6 years with no more attackers than 2 kobolds, a cyclops and a minotaur, I decided to leave my well-running fortress be and visit it as an adventurer.

So I started in a nearby village, just to get immediately slain by goblin bandits. So here they are!
But what about the fortress? Started again from the same village and managed to reach the fortress just to witness strange things happening.

Several wagons were standing outside the fort, dwarves were sleeping on the floor and the strangest thing was water running down through the main entrance.
OK, the fort is built into a lakeshore with a water-filled moat around the entrance, but there's no way the water can actually reach the entrance.

Could this be because of post-retirement abstraction level quantum physics?

And why wagons? When I retired there was an elven caravan present. The elves are still around but the wagons are clearly not elvish...  ???

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37344 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:25 am »

Hmmm, I should have known better than to try that.

A fort or two back I had a green glass training area with green glass fortifications around it and I remember one of the military dorfs getting tossed through the fortifications to end up on a portion of the roof that had no direct access. Had to remove one of the fortifications to get them back inside (it was easier than trying to come up from below and putting an access staircase on the outside runs into the problems of having everything paved to piss off elves) and I didn't learn that dorfs sparring can behave as projectiles and move through a fortification.

When I went to put in a neat split-waterfall mist-generator in the main meeting hall, the easiest route was to just drop it straight through the barracks, so I figured heck, let them get some misting too right?

*notification that the swordmaster I had wielding the absurdly difficult to get obsidian short sword artifact has been missing for a week*

*checks around, no body or anything...*

Then I realized that they must have been pushed through the fortification into the waterfall, suffocated, and gotten washed through the meeting hall and out of the fortifications leading to the edge of the map.

>.<

Incidentally, does anyone know what the best way to get a dorf to make an obsidian sword artifact? I've had two now that like obsidian AND shortswords, but 99 times out of 100 they seem to prefer making a crown or some crap. Yes, I could just settle for candy sword artifacts or even steel, but an unbreakable glass sword? That's awesome.

Edit: I was looking at the item on my other swordmaster and noticed I have an artifact steel sword, I think the obsidian one was just named, so that's not the loss I thought it was... is it not possible to get obsidian artifact swords?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:21:21 am by Max™ »

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37345 on: October 02, 2014, 05:41:47 am »

A minotaur attacked my fortress while I was constructing a wall for my strawberry farm.

After mutilating a sheep and two puppies outside, the beast dashed right into the fortress entrance and stopped to admire the trade depot (probably because I had my spikes trap on repeat).

I then send my mostly spear armed militia on a suicide attack to hopefully hurt the minotaur. The minotaur got slaughtered within seconds without a single injury on my militia. In fact, only a single guy did anything (He proceeds to go to sleep immediately after).

It's the second bovine beast to attack my fort, the first being a werebison that ended up infecting my commander who is now sealed within a walled chamber in the catacombs.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37346 on: October 02, 2014, 07:21:54 am »

We've been having some issues with rhinoceros attacks in our fort. Recently had yet another werething turn up, and it was attacked, before the military got there, by a large and angry rhino. They did a lot of shove-me-shove-you stuff, often being thrown several squares, but neither of them being hurt. Eventually the squads turned up, and attacked the werething. It smacked our dorfs in the mouths, and teeth went everywhere, and the rhino fled. I was watching teeth from three different dorfs fountain in every direction, and a rhino galloping into the distance. The werething proceeded to kill nine dorfs, and die in a delightfully bloody way, then I spent a bit of time sending squads off to be "decontaminated" for a month. We only had one Turning, which was fast ended by his so-called mates. I have found teeth from five different dorfs so far, and they're just lying on the ground. I realise the dead dorfs will eventually be reunited with their teeth in the coffin... but what is going to happen to the teeth from the live dorfs? I'm watching to find out. So far: Nothing.

I have been speculating what would have happened if a totally toothless dorf had ended up as a new werething. Would he have been able to infect other dorfs? None of them lost all their teeth, just some of their teeth, so it's moot.

In other news, we're generating a huge amount of shell refuse, and I've been getting dorfs to decorate everything in the fort with shell. We have a good fishing spot full of mussels, apparently, but the decorators prefer turtle shell, so everything is getting decorated with that first. I'm sure they'll run out of turtle shell eventually. We have tables, chairs, statues, armour racks, buckets and even beds decorated with the stuff. Just finding storage space for all the mussel shell is getting to be hard. Is it possible to put the shells in a bin or a barrel or somat? I've been staring at wide expanses of shell, vast underground middens of shell. There has got to be a simpler way.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37347 on: October 02, 2014, 07:38:20 am »

New embark. Proficient tree cutter cuts first tree, gets hit in the head by falling log, head is crushed, dies. I confess I restarted.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37348 on: October 02, 2014, 12:33:30 pm »

is it not possible to get obsidian artifact swords?
Has to be a stonecrafter I believe.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37349 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:31 pm »

I have been speculating what would have happened if a totally toothless dorf had ended up as a new werething. Would he have been able to infect other dorfs? None of them lost all their teeth, just some of their teeth, so it's moot.

All damage is instantly healed when turning to or from a werecreature.

Frankly, if I had a rhino and a werebeast going head to head, I'd keep my troops out of it. Eventually the werecreature will turn back to a human/dwarf/elf/goblin and get stomped on by the rhino. Problem solved.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 2488 2489 [2490] 2491 2492 ... 3835