Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2489 2490 [2491] 2492 2493 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863069 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37350 on: October 02, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »

Pretty mellow update at Howlwinds.  Working on abusing flow mechanics for waterwheel power to get my magma defenses working.  Although, it seems a bit overkill now since I originally was constructing them in case of another zombie raid, but there was only ever the one over ten years ago.  Oh well.  Might as well finish what was started.

My brass balcony is finished.  800-ish tiles of brass flooring extending out from the volcano, clear glass windows on three sides, a silver roof, and plenty of artifact furniture.  Now my 20-70 idle dwarves can idle off that cave adaptation.  Oh, and I'm working on getting a masterwork statue made of every material you can make a statue out of.  Got to keep those dwarves happy.

Every bedroom has a gold door (set to internal), and the room boundaries extend just outside of their doors into the hallway, which is covered in silver.  I have a ton of metal bars lying around, and needed to do something with them.  That, and the fact that practically EVERY DWARF IS FRIENDS WITH EVERY OTHER DWARF in this fort of 194, so I am expecting a tantrum spiral of absolutely epic proportions one of these days.  Especially since I've already had two dwarves die of old age on me.  At least the mayor, who does nothing but chat with everyone day in and day out, is only fifteen, so I don't have to worry about him growing old. 

After careful tunneling, I've revealed the entire first cavern layer.  Securing it has begun.  I have the first map exit walled off, under the careful gaze of the Shitkickers squad.  Sadly, nothing tried to harass the workers, because I would have loved to have seen what these guys would have done.  They have been training to silly levels over the life of the fort.  Just looking at one of them ... Therapist says she is a raw level 50 swordsdwarf, with level 40 discipline, level 57 observer, level 77 fighter, and level 10/31 armor/shield user.  I think that's a new personal high for myself.   

But since this fort is seeing so little action overall, she's only got 12 kills.  5 war grizzly bears (1 named), 4 elves, and 3 war bobcats. 

Train early, and train often kids. 

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37351 on: October 02, 2014, 03:38:12 pm »

I started a new fort, and suddenly everything started turning green all over. I looked at it, and it was a rain of pomelos! Everywhere!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37352 on: October 02, 2014, 04:50:33 pm »

Just ran lava all along the brook that runs through my 2x2 embark. :D
()==[:::::::::::::>

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37353 on: October 02, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »

I just got my first artifact, a platinum buckler. So I got a legendary armoursmith, for once I get steel.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37354 on: October 02, 2014, 08:35:47 pm »

Turns out my bug was not a bug; just a misinterpretation of the Justice system.

The Goblin Eugenics and Overpopulation Team (GEO-T) were called to my fort to eliminate the weak children. Three children are locked outside for the GEO-T to collect and turn into so much red paste. Only for a mother to decide it's a good time to pop out another one mid-siege.
However, the payment of live gladiators has been made by the GEO-T for their services rendered already, so I would have to open the doors if I wanted to get rid of the whiner right now.

Definitely going to work on optimizing the GEO-T transfer of assets.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37355 on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:52 pm »

Ah, a new fortress! Smell that-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
....Cold, unforgiving snow.

Well, this will be a fun embark.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37356 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:11 pm »

I started a new fort, and suddenly everything started turning green all over. I looked at it, and it was a rain of pomelos! Everywhere!

I've had that happen with rains of various treefruit. With my dwarfs starving to death, drinking water because of a lack of booze, wading knee deep in fruit such as custard apples.

When the elves finally arrived, we traded a couple of metal items and some green glass stuff for food, including... Custard apples. Which we then turned into booze.

They've got a hell of a racket going, y'know?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37357 on: October 03, 2014, 12:21:42 am »

After a polite discussion with local rivals, Onul Whippedbrains has claimed the position of king of The Wires of Quickness.
 ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37358 on: October 03, 2014, 12:26:51 am »

A minotaur attacked me, and it killed ten war dogs with no injuries, before one managed to bite its head and knock it out, allowing my military to attack it. Of course, it woke up and killed someone in one hit. I really need to make some armour.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37359 on: October 03, 2014, 05:38:44 am »

Glovedmobbed is chugging along. Actually got to trade with the humans this time around. Also, we were able to tame out wild boar piglets and have a breeding population of them. Now all the ones that wander into cage traps get thrown into the newly built arena for weapons training. I built a danger room to beef up the military, but it seems a bit pointless. We're on year five or so and none of the goblin civ or the neighboring tower invaders have shown up. The is a forgotten beast running around the second caverns, killing all the wildlife. I'm wary of dealing with him, due to the deadly emissions it produces. Not sure what it does, but I don't want to find out close up. A weaponsmith had a mood and made an artifact iron crossbow, so I think I should take that as a sign to make an archer squad.

Restructuring the fort is just starting to happen. At a population of 140-ish one dorm with 10 beds wasn't cutting it. So now everyone, down to the last baby, has their own bedroom. Furniture is being cranked out. As are clothes. Lotta beards running around in tattered rags. Gotta fix that. Luckily food sells for ridiculous amounts and cloth bins are pretty cheap. Now I just need to find suitable space to separate and organize the various workshops. Layer 2 of the defense wall is almost complete. Slow going, doing it two tiles at a time. Instead of building a big, elaborate scaffold that I can't get my dwarves to tear down when it's done I just put a ramp on the inside and have them walk along the first layer.

Still watching the milkfish and carp populations skyrocket. Haven't had an idea yet of what to do about the damn things. They keep breeding, they can pass through fortifications, and there's a bunch of them stuck at the bottom of the main well. Not to mention all the ones in the river itself. I feel like I could get much better FPS if I could cull all these damned fish.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37360 on: October 03, 2014, 08:47:58 am »

My hermit fortress is plugging along faster now that I reduced the pop cap to 1.  Over 120 dwarves died of dehydration and they kept trying to migrate 15 or 20 at a time near the end, which lead to most of my time dealing with slabs.  I forged a candy minecart (which bumped the fortress value up by like 20%) and moved my first cartload of magma up to the main area of the fort so I dont have to keep walking 130zs down to forge items.  I'll get forging and glass production moving forward soon.  Ideally I can cage trap a wandering camel or two in order to finally eat something other than raw plump helmets.  After 8ish years of nothing but plump helmets, the same old food happiness hit is really adding up.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37361 on: October 03, 2014, 09:10:25 am »

I started from scratch because it was the easiest way to finally get twbt working with a mix of the spacefox dorfs and bisasam font stuff, so Doorhammer is still in the early stages, starting out on the massive cliff map (waterfall canyons I think?) from the cookbook thread, been digging down and getting workshops set up, and mostly just enjoying having cute little dorfs running around doing stuff.

I did set up a waterfall running from a fortification carved into the river at the bottom of the cliff, through a meeting hall, then exiting another fortification into the caverns, I've got it set up with floodgates and barring some sort of amazing flying megabeast which can survive the flow and head upstream through it and the grates in the way, it should just be a nice happy thoughts generator... here's hoping for a more fun outcome!

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37362 on: October 03, 2014, 09:46:36 am »

Just discovered my first cavern. Now my fort's slowly gathering fungus on the floors.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37363 on: October 03, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

Necromancer invasion!

Three giant animals, 12 dwarves and a bunch of cats / dogs died.

Two dwarves left.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Futhington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37364 on: October 03, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »

I've got some dwarves engraving all over an excavation I have no use for. Thus far most of their pictures have depicted the founding of Fellseals, a coconut palm, or the various Elves murdered in the 100 year dark reign of Sut Umbraphantoms the Burial of Nights; a dark brute who seems to have done nothing but murder elves in a place called The Hale Hill. Truly a hero of Dwarvenkind before he was struck down 300 years prior to the founding of Fellseals.
Pages: 1 ... 2489 2490 [2491] 2492 2493 ... 3836