Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2528 2529 [2530] 2531 2532 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855965 times)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37935 on: November 11, 2014, 01:43:16 am »

Started a new fort for 40.15. It's slow going since I didn't start crafting stuff until after the second migration wave. It's a desert area, and I've dug about 80 levels down without finding any caves, so only wood I have is from the wagon and what little the first caravan brought.

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37936 on: November 11, 2014, 08:02:10 am »

Well, I embarked in a place with a nice spring and a volcano in a defensible valley. I built up my defenses, started making a tower around my main entrance while every industry got going and… nothing. After five in-game years, I've not had a single siege, nor forgotten beast. Nothing, not even kobolds! I've got axe lords and elite marksdwarves just from constant training, a thriving iron and silver industry, a breeding pair of lions trained for war… and nothing to kill. I don't even have any criminals!

If this keeps up, I think it might be time to visit the circus, at least then I can toss the baron in there for demanding a black bronze bed.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37937 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:14 am »

Project Magma Logic is well underway. It's plain old fluid logic, with magma. To make it work, pressurised magma is required and the tests have turned out very nicely.

1. Pumped magma from a volcano doesn't move all that quickly, you're limited to how much magma will reach the pump head. That can be rectified by
2. building a second pump array that pumps _into_ the volcano.
But
2a. this pump must draw from an extra reservoir; if it pumps your outflow back into the volcano, in the best case the pumps will just teleport the same 7/7 chunks of magma around in a circle, and whenever magma is diverted or consumed, you're back from full pressure to flow with intermittent pressure.
3. Redundant security is your friend.
3a. sticking to security protocol is vital to actually receive the benefit of your redundant security.
4. pumped magma communicates fully, just like pumped water: a pressurised volcano can send magma out of an open magma vent in the caverns, i.e. pressure/teleportation goes all the way through the magma sea, if necessary.
5. Magma workshops with an impassable tile over the magma connection are pressure-proof.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37938 on: November 11, 2014, 11:45:07 am »

My forts in this world keep getting attacked by elves...weird elves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  For starters they come announced as an undead siege.  They are always alone, armed with a shield (sometimes a steel shield!) and a bronze or copper spear and a bunch of zombies.  The elves do not appear to be necromancers (elves can't be necromancers I don't think), but the zombies are totally friendly to them.  Also they are elf zombies.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

AraJudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37939 on: November 11, 2014, 02:03:01 pm »

This might be old news that everyone else has dealt with already but it was a first for me. I recently jumped up from 34.11 to 40.15... I know I know really behind the times. Just milling about building up my fort. Getting rooms all made and fortifications set up. I figured as long as I could git walls and traps set up before the first siege I would be fine. That I was mistaken and that was when the !!FUN!! started. A Weremonkey came strolling in to crash the party. I failed to kill it but lucky it changed back and ran away before anything too crazy happened. Well two dead alpacas, one dead war dog, and two dead Yak's, three dead dwarfs and a swordsdwarf down he runs away probably a very confused Human. With all the carnage and bad stuff going on once he finally gets out of the map I pause to check everything over.. and I notice at the bottom of the screen.. "Stray war dog (Tame) has given birth to puppies."

I was kind of magical to see something so great come of something so terrible... Only if the dwarfs saw that and got happy thoughts instead of getting all sad and stuff... haha.

Now I have to work on keeping my fort sane so it doesn't spiral down hill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37940 on: November 11, 2014, 02:03:50 pm »

My forts in this world keep getting attacked by elves...weird elves.
  For starters they come announced as an undead siege.  They are always alone, armed with a shield (sometimes a steel shield!) and a bronze or copper spear and a bunch of zombies.  The elves do not appear to be necromancers (elves can't be necromancers I don't think), but the zombies are totally friendly to them.  Also they are elf zombies.

You need to check legends mode ASAP. Find out what civ they're attacking from, who owns that civ and whether it was conquered by or conquered elves/necromancers or received patronage from something unnatural or supernatural.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37941 on: November 11, 2014, 03:11:31 pm »

Started a fort. Immediately, an evil cloud turned every dwarf into a thrall. GG evil biome.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37942 on: November 11, 2014, 03:25:23 pm »

Letting the volcano-feeder pump take from a smallish reservoir (6x7 wide, 11z high) improved performance notably. The first cavern is now covered in a carpet of magma. Very nice.

The pump pushes magma faster than it can re-fill through two holes in the volcano wall (~15 z below the volcano's top), but just barely. It took several months to empty the top five levels. This _should_ work reasonably well in full operation, but test runs with magma are rather big affairs - they block everything for quite a while: you can't send your beards in to continue work when the liquid's down to 1-2.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37943 on: November 11, 2014, 03:42:24 pm »

Had to gen a new world to make use of stepladders and other new goodies. So... in year 200 The Courageous Circular Books of The Infinite Blockade of Diversion founded Graveljaws. Strike the earth!

The first dwarf to use a stepladder will be nicknamed "Casanunda."
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37944 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »

Oh god, the thralling thing, I tried to be smart with a partially flat evil biome and partially calm mountain biome map.

Wagon loads on the mountain and scuttles, I think it'll be ok and start to designate jobs, unpause and one of the pigs gets husked and murders everyone.

I reclaim with the evil biome selected to try and fortify the wagon right off the bat, the dorfs start building the wall, pig and another dorf get husked and almost immediately "your settlement has crumbled" pops up...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37945 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »

This happened a little while ago. Everything's going great! Just got the miners working, the one woodcutter, woodcutting, and the other four pasturing, smoothing stone, and gathering plants. Then- they arrived. Somehow, an elven siege shows up. "The elves have brought the full force of their lands against you!" ...wut. This is the first year? I wasn't at war with the elves? What's happening? EVERYONE'S DEAD!!! I should've savescummed, but I was too busy flipping out because this siege just showed up.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37946 on: November 11, 2014, 04:14:57 pm »

This happened a little while ago. Everything's going great! Just got the miners working, the one woodcutter, woodcutting, and the other four pasturing, smoothing stone, and gathering plants. Then- they arrived. Somehow, an elven siege shows up. "The elves have brought the full force of their lands against you!" ...wut. This is the first year? I wasn't at war with the elves? What's happening? EVERYONE'S DEAD!!! I should've savescummed, but I was too busy flipping out because this siege just showed up.

Wars can be declared during gameplay now without the player doing anything about it. It's entirely possible that army was bound for elsewhere and just happened to run into your new settlement and decided trashing it was the best option.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37947 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:36 pm »

Siege warfare continues unabated in the savage war. The name itself, "The Savage War" is somewhat misleading as besides the initial onslaught the 15 years of siege has been one of waiting and preparing. Perhaps it is the Savage War because of the savageness of the corpse army, or my own soldiers' brutal treatment of captured Necromancers. My greatest fear now is that the tower will simply continue sending elf corpses for all eternity and I will be forever denied the chance to fight goblins in battle:
Legends mode even refuses to acknowledge that the elf corpses that attack my Fortress exist, so I must ponder if their populations are limitless. There is one good sign in that the sieges sent reduce in size each time but... I wonder. Eternity under siege is Fun.

*EDIT
I tracked through all the masters and apprentices of the Bells of Amusement and tracked their fates:
The original Necromancer has yet to make himself known. Very interesting is that the Necromancers only ever have one apprentice, meaning if you kill the newest necromancer eventually their art will die. Sazur taught Etur, Etur taught Kogan, Kogan taught Monal and so forth all the way down to Asmel. Now the chain is broken, as Asmel failed to find an apprentice before his death.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:38:04 pm by Loud Whispers »

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37948 on: November 11, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »

Give it time, your civilization needs to gain more knowledge on the animal first. It seems you're breaking new ground for your civ's endeavour to train crocodiles.

Must have been it. On her thrid try after him becoming wild in the cage, she managed to train him to -Trained-. He's now been transferred from his cage to the new training pens (split off from the breeding pens).

I now have a cavern full of crundles who can't get to my trapped entry hall thnaks to the cave lake. A miner has been dispatched to build a second hall on that side of the lake.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37949 on: November 11, 2014, 06:00:20 pm »

Got a nice place, in a flat V between a pair of mountains. A bit of iron, no flux, only 40 deep. Just finished digging out the frame of the safe room, built in preparation for the king once he arrives. Any dangerous creature, like as dragons and such, will be stored just before his room. A single squad will be stationed here half the year, and another squad the other half, on a bi-monthly basis. Drawbridges will be hooked up instead of doors, the final room will be floored completely in gold, with platinum furniture, and a highwood bed. This is mostly separate from the main fortress, which will be guarded by a battery of ballistae from one part of the map, down a 3 tile hallway, and a moat and drawbridge down the other. This part of the fortress will not connect to the caverns, but a completely separate, sealable part will be. I'll be ready for anything thrown at me, which will be mostly megabeasts I assume, as this spot has no goblins nearby. Or humans. Or elves.... *Sigh* This will be lonely.

Edit: Just remembered a dfhack script that lets me switch to arena mode and back to fortress mode. This will NOT be a lonely fortress. I'll test it out against megabeasts and such attacks, iron clad minotaurs fully armed, against my military. Each good performance will be rewarded with a beast to catch and tame, starting with bears.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:46:04 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2528 2529 [2530] 2531 2532 ... 3836