Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2564 2565 [2566] 2567 2568 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842457 times)

Littleman9Mew2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38475 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:02 pm »

First Post!  8) On my fort, which has been constructed next to a mighty volcano, I was having a good time when I had a fail and made some platforms over the volcano pit I didn't want. Making a magma forge and furnace is easy with the raw power of a volcano! As the dwarf removed the useless platform to nowhere it caused a cave in.

To my surprise, the cave-in revealed a:
magma pool
magma sea
Some candy, 2 to be exact
And the lowest cave system.

I never knew a cave-in can reveal the awesome stuff when over a volcano.
After getting some military trained up and armed, I took (some) candy to make 'sweet' gear!

"'Warm stone located?' Pffft it's just below me, nothing is going to-" Littleman was melted by lava.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38476 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »

<snip>
I never knew a cave-in can reveal the awesome stuff when over a volcano.
After getting some military trained up and armed, I took (some) candy to make 'sweet' gear!

It turns out that dwarves can yell really loudly so that the fortress 100+ z-levels up can hear the scout's report. :P

EDIT: Was just attacked by a Giant Chickadee composed of water.  Two bone bolts later, it died.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:02:44 pm by Jervill »

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38477 on: December 09, 2014, 10:12:39 pm »

Started my first fort in a while. Got my stockpiles set up, got a few migrant waves...

And then one of my herbalists decided it would be a good idea to haul some fruit through a pond.

Rakust Sazirrigòth will always be remembered as an innovator.

Littleman9Mew2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38478 on: December 09, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »

Started my first fort in a while. Got my stockpiles set up, got a few migrant waves...

And then one of my herbalists decided it would be a good idea to haul some fruit through a pond.

Rakust Sazirrigòth will always be remembered as an innovator.

"I'm gonna carry these berries across this deep pond."

"Wow this really easy! I can go on for *blup blup blupblupblubpbpbbpbbppbpbppbpbp...* *DIES*"

*ghost still walks to stockpile*

DWARVES:
BEING STUPID INNOVATIVE SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.
"'Warm stone located?' Pffft it's just below me, nothing is going to-" Littleman was melted by lava.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38479 on: December 10, 2014, 03:12:24 am »

Did you outfit them all in full steel plate at low armor skills? That can be a death sentence if they aren't prepared to wear the armor because it weighs them down, slows them down, makes swimming impossible, and tires them quickly.
They've been in a danger room for a while, so armour skills are good now.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Garrund

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38480 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:49 am »

After a 3 year Siege, I've sworn myself to never again run out of wood, this is the result:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also training my king to become the perfect warrior, so far he is a legendary fighter, dodger and swordwarf. I've used an entire Z lvl to build his royal rooms because y loved his personality (Humble as fuck, he is also a master carpenter):

And after a long time, I've finally smoothed the whole fortress and Im engraving the Z level of the king, when i finish im going to do 20 Gold sarcophagus to put in the royal mausoleum. My swordmaster dwarfs will protect theyr king even in death.

Here is his Z level:

The plebs rooms:

The tower were the swordmasters train and defend the fortress:

The dinning room:

And the status of the fortress:

Its one of my most succefull fortress ever, so Im having fun with it, but I would like some fancy megabeast or fb to come by, i want my king to kill something important or, at least, be killed by something important.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38481 on: December 10, 2014, 04:45:54 am »

Moody smith! I made sure he grabbed steel bars. It's a war hammer but it should still hurt quite a bit I guess:

Almost 200k worth and with a pretty picture of my duchess. Guess she'll become a hammer dwarf now! =D

PS: We don't speak of the diorite trumpet... *sigh*
So it's basically a giant stamp for putting pictures of your duchess on things? Neat.
They're not soldiers, they're postal workers
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38482 on: December 10, 2014, 05:37:28 am »

I think it was supposed to be 'glom of nit' though.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38483 on: December 10, 2014, 06:47:41 am »

I dug a well in my volcanofort, tapping the river.
As I wanted to avoid tree related cave ins, I planned tapping from below.
I already had the resevoir and watersystem dug out and secured, only shaft missing was the one straight down from the river.

So I waited for winter to freeze my river, dug down and my legendary miner dropped 1 or 2 zlevels.

No problem, the vertical shaft to the reservoir was standing so he could be retrieved easily.
He lay there, got treated well and caused lots of failed to retrieve water massages.
Finally, he died of dehydration.

2 Days later spring hit my river and made the water flow again.

"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38484 on: December 10, 2014, 06:55:58 am »

I have small task force for those jobs made of dwarfs who "can't handle stress well". They get the honorary title of "volunteer" and a (copper pick) as insignia.

Wooohooo, I genned a world I really like!
20k goblins, 2k dwarfs, 2k humans, no elves, 2 towers, 10 volcanoes and even some kobolds near a volcano.

Infinite Dimension, here I come!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:13:06 am by Col_Jessep »
Just kids...

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38485 on: December 10, 2014, 07:35:25 am »

I planned tapping from below
So I waited for winter to freeze my river, dug down and my legendary miner dropped 1 or 2 zlevels.

Why you dig down when you plan to tap from below?

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38486 on: December 10, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

I planned tapping from below

Why you dig down when you plan to tap from below?

I didn't think it through and made the horizontal shaft first, on z-10. because I didn't want another horizontal on z-1 I decided to dig down through the frozen river.
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38487 on: December 10, 2014, 12:46:54 pm »

So, my only speardwarf was sparring (after a long while of no sparring, finally) with the rest of her squad.

I checked her equipment, I saw "coating of dwarf tears". I wondered why she was crying.

Her feelings: "I cannot stand idly. I will take revenge !" She feels vengeful when joining an existing conflict.

(latest battle was her killing crundles a month ago or something)

So it appears either dwarves sparring is SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS, oor she thinks she's a mecha pilot/has read too much Rose of Versailles.

???

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38488 on: December 10, 2014, 01:45:10 pm »

This hand of mine is burning redcovered in magma oh god why did I stick my hand in that arrrgggghhhhhh....

deathschemist

• Bay Watcher
  • i am so, so sorry. they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #38489 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »

project codename "Hollow Summit" is go. cave-ins are turned off, and the miners are digging the peak hollow.
Pages: 1 ... 2564 2565 [2566] 2567 2568 ... 3836