Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2569 2570 [2571] 2572 2573 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788749 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38550 on: December 13, 2014, 05:08:12 pm »

They won't steal from you because they're tame.

Sadly, you can't then dispatch them to steal from the rest of the world.

I was rather hoping for my own giant kea air defence against the wild ones.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38551 on: December 13, 2014, 05:46:08 pm »

Made a world without demons and fooled around in the empty hell a bit. I even stumbled over an alternative way to mine slade, but it only really works in .34.11:

designate upward ramps dug directly under the surface. This digs one tile of slade and unveils the adjacent squares. However, it doesn't produce a ramp, it generates an _underground_ "open space" tile. The floor above is not broken, and the dug tile completely disappears, i.e. it leaves no floor behind. A slade boulder is generated but instantly falls to the level below - and gets stuck in an undiggable slade wall.
The normal floor can be channelled away after this, but that doesn't help either - you cannot dig into or build stairs into the walls below to retrieve the slade boulders. So in 0.40, this is useless.

However, in .34, you can simply use the deconstruction-teleport bug to pull the slade out of the walls: construct some floors close enough to the ramped-out area and deconstruct them again. All nearby items are teleported to the place where the deconstructing dwarf stands. I got a few dozen slade boulders this way and converted them into blocks, mechanisms and crafts (a slade sceptre weighs a very moderate 600 urists, about as much as a cinnabar boulder).

And no, you can't get slade warhammers without modding - slade is a stone and the only hammers that can be made from stone are _toy_ hammers (no, even moods won't get you around this).
A toy hammer heavier than a real warhammer, only in DF

Actually that may be realistic... I bet toy hammers are these big blocks of metal you see in fantasy media and real warhammers are well, real warhammers. The sleek, armor-piercing ones.
If you could swing one of those toy hammers with the force you would a real war hammer, I wouldn't be surprised if your enemy exploded into bits.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38552 on: December 13, 2014, 06:34:28 pm »

Two human merchants just attacked my war dogs without warning when the caravan was leaving. The dogs made mincemeat out of them while their guards stood idly by and everyone else in the caravan left peacefully afterwards.

What could have provoked those traders so? They were actually making some good profit with the deals I was giving them.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38553 on: December 13, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »

My Fort's 20 years old and I have no magma moat. I must rectify this problem at once.

With very little knowledge in how to make screw pumps work, I have settled on creating a magma piston. I have already made one hole into the magma sea (though all for nought as it doesn't even work in the magma sea) so now I have to make another one. Joy!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38554 on: December 13, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »

And one confused blacksmith.
Hey, I brought your n-
*SUDDENLY PARROTS*
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38555 on: December 13, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »

Rivertrapped the human city is now a barony. Everything is so low quality and people barely live so no wonder it took about 8 years. I want nobles so I can have an excuse to finish my stone castle.

I just noticed one problem in this human fort -thingy... I have 100 children and babies in my fort. No wonder why I cant keep fighting properly and why there's a constant lack of workers. Although, one kid is showing promise by sparring with soldiers...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:14:16 pm by Kuikka »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38556 on: December 14, 2014, 05:22:37 am »

They won't steal from you because they're tame.

Sadly, you can't then dispatch them to steal from the rest of the world.

I was rather hoping for my own giant kea air defence against the wild ones.
That... that is....

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38557 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:24 am »

And one confused blacksmith.
'WHY WERE YOU ALL LAUGHING'
'because fuck keas'
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38558 on: December 14, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »

A talented armoursmith/weaponsmith just went into a secretive mood and claimed a magma forge.

ADAMANTINE WARHAMMER INBOUND

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38559 on: December 14, 2014, 12:51:05 pm »

A talented armoursmith/weaponsmith just went into a secretive mood and claimed a magma forge.

ADAMANTINE WARHAMMER INBOUND
Woo, a warhammer with all the power of cotton! Nothing can stop Urist McHammer now (apart from anything with bones or clothing)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38560 on: December 14, 2014, 01:43:02 pm »

Secretive moods aside, whilst deconstructing scaffolding on the Moose Pit the number of child patients being admitted to the hospital has steadily been increasing. With one Dwarf likely never going to walk again due to a severed spine I have half a mind to stop the deconstruction efforts, but then again I don't exactly have an alternative. More broken spines are a necessary evil it seems.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38561 on: December 14, 2014, 02:03:02 pm »

I had way too many poults dogs and cats, now I have soap for my hospital.

After I sold all the totems and bone crafts, I tried to burn down the surface woods with my volcano. It pushed my fps to 70, burnt everything green but somehow left all the trunks standing, only 12 trees collapsed.
So i reverted the savegame, I wanted all trees gone, not just a barren wasteland with treetrunks.

Also, for the first time, I breached the caverns first and second layer and sent my 3 dorf "military" in, which killed a giant bat and trogs. Sadly it bit ones dwarf hand off if I read correctly and killed one dog before my spear captain impaled its head.

Just as i was about to seal the bridge to the first layer because it seemed rather empty, I caught 2 trolls and my very first GCS. I'd rather wanted to fight it, but now ill get silk it seems.

So now I created 10 copper crossbows as I plan to roam the 2nd cave with crossbowpeasents
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38562 on: December 14, 2014, 02:13:27 pm »

Had !!FUN!! with uninvited guest - Iteg Grizzlecavern the Seducer of Larvae. A huge three-eyed panther with twisting, jointed trunk undulating rhytmically. Bastard entered the fortress right before the drawbridge to the caverns was closed, sealing lone miner underground. Beast killed all my dwarves except that one miner. Then a human caravan appeared, and their swordsman slain Iteg. Cog Medtodkubuk survived in the caverns until the next migrant wave. I haven't checked if the fortress was secure for them. Cog bled to death, migrants were killed by magma crab. Lots of !!FUN!! today  :P

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38563 on: December 14, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »

That makes a great story. A lone miner all by himself gets thrown in the dark giant cavern to mine some rare ores and yewels while in mortal danger. A giant beast leaps past him running for the small lights of the fort shining through the fortifications, the miner running behind, just as the drawbridge shuts him out alone in the dark.
Being alone in the darkness until the bridge drops again, all of his friends torn apart in the fortress...
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38564 on: December 14, 2014, 03:38:37 pm »

But then who lowered the drawbridge for him? He is not alone...
Pages: 1 ... 2569 2570 [2571] 2572 2573 ... 3835