Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2571 2572 [2573] 2574 2575 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863324 times)

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38580 on: December 14, 2014, 11:37:20 pm »

I just got back into DF and found a nice embark with a river junction in the middle of a canyon. Fortress is called Fountainchants. This bodes well.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38581 on: December 14, 2014, 11:52:25 pm »

I just got back into DF and found a nice embark with a river junction in the middle of a canyon. Fortress is called Fountainchants. This bodes well.
Seed?

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38582 on: December 14, 2014, 11:57:28 pm »

Seed?

Once I've embarked, how do I find the seed? I'm a bit inexperienced with seed mechanics in dwarf fortress.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38583 on: December 15, 2014, 12:16:59 am »

Seed?

Once I've embarked, how do I find the seed? I'm a bit inexperienced with seed mechanics in dwarf fortress.
In savefile folder.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38584 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29:46 am »

Seed?

In savefile folder.
Ok, so I went there and I'm seeing a long list of DAT files, a SAV file, and a raw folder. Been poking around and haven't found it yet. Maybe I'm being dense. Where should I look?

tkay421

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38585 on: December 15, 2014, 02:45:32 am »

A baby died when a giant wren that her mother was hunting fell on both of them.

A militia captain got a strange mood and created The Tooth of Grasp, a frilly giant moose leather dress. Okay...

Overall, my experiment with a feeding a fort on gather zones, eggs and hunting is working quite well. Except that my dwarves have stopped hauling prepared food from the kitchen to the stockpile.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38586 on: December 15, 2014, 04:18:38 am »

In order to fully spike my ditch at least 1-layer thick on the strong walls I would probably be able to pass on magma-safe mechanisms using quartzite, but would need at least 3,500 iron bars, possibly more to construct all the necessary spikes. Double that number if I want steel spikes. Do I want steel spikes? Decisions... A gregarious expenditure of resources, to be sure. With that much steel one could build a castle out of metal, or cloth a Fort twice over in armour.

*EDIT
I reckon it's not worth it. Wall spikes and magma will do the job better, and cheaper.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:48:05 am by Loud Whispers »

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38587 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:48 am »

The last two human caravans have arrived safely at my fort... and then immediately turned around and left without trading. The first might have been spooked by a non-hostile badger, but there were no animals nearby for the second. Maybe they were put off by all the vomit from my cave adapted dwarves trying to clean up after the last undead siege.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38588 on: December 15, 2014, 11:43:01 am »

"Belal Isoskatthir, Metalcrafter cancels Collect Webs: Interrupted by" (due to my window size i didn't see what he was interrupted by)

My brain immediately goes "GCS GCS GCS GCS GCS CATCH CATCH CATCH SAVE METALCRAFTER"

...and it is a crundle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38589 on: December 15, 2014, 12:31:22 pm »

Is it normal for animals and non military to spar?

Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38590 on: December 15, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

Nope, it is definitely not.

Also werebison infection shenanigans. Have lost a few dwarves to that, will attempt to round up the infectees and wall them.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38591 on: December 15, 2014, 01:17:18 pm »

Nope, it is definitely not.

Also werebison infection shenanigans. Have lost a few dwarves to that, will attempt to round up the infectees and wall them.
Then release them on the next siege?

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38592 on: December 15, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

Child soldiers and animals (especially trained for war) are no uncommon sight in my forts :P

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38593 on: December 15, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »

If a soldier charges and goes airborn, anything in the flight path is considered sparring, as I recall.

The cat sparring messages I took in stride, I'm still confused by "The Giant Rattlesnake stands up" though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38594 on: December 15, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »

67 undead elves assaulting the battlements of Silentthuders; fighting them only 4 Dwarves, two on the northwalls, one in westgate and one in southgate. The Necromancer Commander Sazir Razorbelts has remained undetected for 20 years and is yet to run out of undead to throw at my walls.

How I utterly despise the very existence of Sazir Razorbelts. I haven't even finished clearing the last accumulation of elven waste and Sazir sends these to face my walls and bolts. My rampart remains covered in elf corpses, the horizon is littered with elf corpses, the corridors choked with elf corpses everywhere gods thrice damned elf corpses shambling and dead! Why will you not be found and killed Sazir Razorbelts? Why do you continue Sazir Razorbelts!

SAZIR RAZORBELTS SHOW YOURSELF!

Perhaps I should execute the last three live necromancers of his society. I'm not sure it'd make a difference to Sazir.

Sazir Razorbelts... Where in the bloody hell are you. Where are you? What are you? Where did you get all these elves?

The silver lining is that I managed to save all those children injured in the scaffolding collapse from being eaten by elf corpses, they were moved to the hospital before the attack began. Some bad news is that Ozud the Gory Menace is so far the undefeated champion of the 2nd cavern layer and is meandering dangerously close to the subterranean Fortress complex. I am loathe to place marksdwarves on the walls there for fear that the living flamethrower will simply burn all regardless of fortifications. Worse comes to worse I may drop a war pig bomb on it with marksdwarf support. Gods damned Sazir.

*EDIT
On closer inspection it seems one of the marksdwarves I tasked with defending the northwall doesn't have eyes and will not shoot the elf scum.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:35:11 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 2571 2572 [2573] 2574 2575 ... 3836