Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2572 2573 [2574] 2575 2576 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852110 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38595 on: December 15, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »

If a soldier charges and goes airborn, anything in the flight path is considered sparring, as I recall.

The cat sparring messages I took in stride, I'm still confused by "The Giant Rattlesnake stands up" though.

Ye, was this. First time i had seen it though ^^
They usually train in a separate area but i've not built it yet in my current fort. So they're along a hallway and everyone seems to be joining in
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38596 on: December 15, 2014, 03:24:52 pm »

So, I've had my first siege. A few goblins, nothing big.

Then they kill one of my squads, i say "meh" then I send my legendary war miners.

They DON'T GO to kill the goblins.

Then every dwarf that decides to go out and pick up the equipment ends up being chased by goblins and dead, because I didn't set up an inside alert due to no attacks at all, until this one.

Meanwhile I attempt to send my war miners. to NO ATTEMPT. All the other dwarves are getting out and getting slaughtered, but not my military, no ! They mill around in their rooms despite the outside. They completely ignore the kill or station orders.

No, they are not moving. They worked perfectly fine beforehand (you know, when I was not sieged), kill orders on animals and FB's worked fine, and then the orders magically don't work at all during the siege. And don't tell me it's an access issue because it isn't.

I even saved and loaded, to no avail.

TL;DR this version's military is bugged to shit and unplayable and unfun unless you are some hippie elf pacifist and set invaders to NO (not that it makes any difference anyways), going back to 0.34 where there wasn't such bullshit.

What I cannot understand is that it's been 19 versions of 0.40 and such critical bugs haven't been fixed.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38597 on: December 15, 2014, 08:01:59 pm »

@^ Y'know, i _am_ a hippie elf pacifist, and i'm somewhat dismayed at the atrocious military bugs of the 0.40 series. As little as i like the military aspect, it's a part of the game, and something's missing when the game suffers from bugs that frequently make your entire combat force 100% incapable of doing anything. And it's not just the military, tantrums and berserkers are also bugged to hell and back - it seems that anyone defending themselves against such a unit gets branded traitor and murdered by the rest of the fortress population: when i sent my military to subdue a berserker, they let the berserker rampage on and instead killed each other.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38598 on: December 15, 2014, 08:15:03 pm »

Spring came. Then came the elf traders, followed by a 38-dwarf migrant wave. As I watched this wave come in, I noted one of the child dwarves hanging back by the edge of the map and acting unusual. I took a look at the child and noted that he was both shaken by an injury and missing some people. It seems this four-year old dwarf's left foot is gone, leading me to believe he is a refugee from a recent attack of some sort.

He continued to hang at the edge of the screen till I hastily built a little hospital and used Therapist to allow one of the rangers to take care of the injured little guy. Soon enough the ranger carried little 'Halfstep' to the hospital bed, and fetched him a crutch. The little guy is now moving around under his own power, grateful for being rescued.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38599 on: December 15, 2014, 10:27:26 pm »

I caught a hydra, gonna train him which should make him grow slightly and then see how many goblins i can get it to kill.

Although i need more dwarves as i only have about 10 so far lol.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38600 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:18 pm »

Oddly, hydras aren't war trainable. One raw change will fix that, though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38601 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:57 pm »

Oddly, hydras aren't war trainable. One raw change will fix that, though.
Don't forget hunting trainable, those camels won't know what hit them!

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38602 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:41 am »

does training stuff to WAR animals really do much? i've never really noticed much difference. I just let them lose as they are usually.

Problem is, is that the hydra didn't take well to being pastured and immediately ran into my fort. One very stupid military dwarf enraged it by attacking it (blue writing, suggesting training hit?) and got his head bitten off in return.
In fact the entire log is in blue.

Perhaps the hydra just wanted to join in on the training?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:54:18 am by Bigheaded »

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38603 on: December 16, 2014, 07:53:28 am »

Built my first pump stack to get water from the aquifer up to my well. After a couple of misunderstandings of the required order, and a swift install of some levers to control power flow to my millstones, and it's up and running. And my word, do those things move water fast! It's almost scary.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38604 on: December 16, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »

Blue writing means friendly unit did something "tapped lightly" means sparring. The theoretically tame hydra is theoretically on your team so when he does something it's written in blue.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38605 on: December 16, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »

So a few months after embark, one of my seven dwarves claimed the position of king.

My civilization  :-[

And it is my first king ever, and yet i've made dozens and dozens of fortresses since 40d. But I never had more than 105 dwarves, I think.

So is he going to go insane due to having a room not fit for a king ? Am I going to get more than the mandatory two migrant waves ? Will I get at least one caravan ?

hmm. If this young desert fort is the last bastion of the dwarves, then I will not give up !

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38606 on: December 16, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »

So a few months after embark, one of my seven dwarves claimed the position of king.

My civilization  :-[

And it is my first king ever, and yet i've made dozens and dozens of fortresses since 40d. But I never had more than 105 dwarves, I think.

So is he going to go insane due to having a room not fit for a king ? Am I going to get more than the mandatory two migrant waves ? Will I get at least one caravan ?

hmm. If this young desert fort is the last bastion of the dwarves, then I will not give up !

Happened to me a few times before civilisations started actually surviving invasions.

I did have an occasion or two where the newly-crowned monarch got seriously hacked off about his lack of decent lodgings and started a fight which resulted in his killing someone.

You should get more migrants: at least, I'm pretty sure I always did. I have never yet got such a fort to the stage where the monarch would move in anyway, which I think is the point when the Outpost Liaison should take residence, so I can't speak to that. But I did eventually get visits from Outpost Liaisons, as there were in fact other forts in my civilisation, which also meant caravans. Maybe it's worth checking your civilisation page to see whether you really are the only ones left?
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38607 on: December 16, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »

Blue writing means friendly unit did something "tapped lightly" means sparring. The theoretically tame hydra is theoretically on your team so when he does something it's written in blue.

ahhh, makes sense.

i just let loose 2x  grey langurs in the same locked room as a hydra on a chain. Yes there were 2 dead monkeys as the end but i wasn't expecting ALL of this damage:

Literally has not fought against anything else, did not have any combat experience before that.
Looks like i need to feed him some easier targets to practice on.

Also some fun with a cow catching madcowdisease:

There also seems to be a problem. The humans are erm. stuck.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:33:53 pm by Bigheaded »

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38608 on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:35 pm »

Grey langurs are actually devils that use monkey shape as an excuse to break havoc and mayhem in innocent forts. I have never before seen so many wounded citizens or killed war animals thanks to this infestation of grey langurs.

Every spring they arrive I command every single soldier out to hunt them down without mercy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38609 on: December 16, 2014, 05:32:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finished the first true segment of Tower Likot! A decade and a half in the making, it's a major milestone for the Fortress.

A three year old went berserk from a lack of sleep and attacked another one of the patients. A team of three squads was on hand to respond immediately.
A fealtycrafted Dwarf killed a fealtycrafted Dwarf and the fealtycrafted parent Dwarves were a part of the response team that ultimately killed the berserk fealtycrafted Dwarf. Not a good day for their family.

Silentthunders stronk
Pages: 1 ... 2572 2573 [2574] 2575 2576 ... 3836