Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2573 2574 [2575] 2576 2577 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853108 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38610 on: December 16, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »

That looks really cool.

At first I thought it's a minecraft map.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38611 on: December 16, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »

Grey langurs are actually devils that use monkey shape as an excuse to break havoc and mayhem in innocent forts. I have never before seen so many wounded citizens or killed war animals thanks to this infestation of grey langurs.

Every spring they arrive I command every single soldier out to hunt them down without mercy.

Fortunately they never caused serious problems to me. They arrived in large groups, but they didn't cooperate.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38612 on: December 17, 2014, 04:26:15 am »

My recently generated world leaves much space for imagination and stories.

The only dwarven civ is at war with goblins and elves for a while and was being king or queen seems to be fun:
The first king reigned for 30 years before he became a necromancer and left his kingdom.
Every single king or queen afterwards was killed by goblins or demons, which for 10 years in a row happened annually.

It's like:
Dwarves - "Long live the new king!"
Gob scout to Demon gob chief - "Master, the dwarves have a new king"
Demon gob chief - "Allright, let's go for an inaugural visit."
Dwarves - "Alas, the king is dead!"  :'(

A an interesting side note: one of the kings was only 13 years old and his father (!) became one of his successors.

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38613 on: December 17, 2014, 07:12:56 am »

Once I've embarked, how do I find the seed? I'm a bit inexperienced with seed mechanics in dwarf fortress.
In savefile folder.
Ok, so I went there and I'm seeing a long list of DAT files, a SAV file, and a raw folder. Been poking around and haven't found it yet. Maybe I'm being dense. Where should I look?
For reference, in order to obtain a seed once a fort is running, press Esc ingame as if you were going to save and select 'Export local image'.  Export anything and a text file containing the worldgen parameters will show up in your DF folder, along with screenshots.  You can also export parameters from legends mode.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38614 on: December 17, 2014, 07:35:09 am »

I offended the elven caravan by selling them crystal glass products.
So I reloaded the save and tried again. They still got angry.
It took me a while to figure out that a masterwork dog bone earing had crystal glass decorations.

Edit*

Ah, now it was a mitten with a clear glass decoration. *face palm*
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:40:59 am by utunnels »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38615 on: December 17, 2014, 10:17:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, a weretortoise epidemic took the lives of my two finest warriors.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38616 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »

Squad of six marksdwarfs is going strong. All have Adept discipline or better now, thanks to intermittent training and skirmishes with capybaras. Fortifications are also well underway, with a little under eight hundred blocks tied up in walls and roofs. I will be disappointed when goblins fail to ever show up.

One dwarf just got instagibbed by a tree growing. I'm getting tired of these 'rocks fall everyone dies' cave-ins. Gonna have to patch up a bedroom now.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38617 on: December 17, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

Also, a weretortoise epidemic took the lives of my two finest warriors.
Inb5 Michael Bay movie

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38618 on: December 17, 2014, 05:47:20 pm »

A section of the magma piston was prematurely detonated on top of a child scaffold team. There were many casualties.

On the bright side of things just north of them Silentthunders marksdwarves successfully killed a giant earthworm with wings that exhumed toxic vapours. Granted it's on the evil side of things so it's going to come back to life as a shambling earthworm corpse so I'll have to keep killing it, but at least Captain Lokum can gain the honourary 'Titans' for scoring the killing blow.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38619 on: December 17, 2014, 06:41:35 pm »

Testing out the Modest Accelerated Mashup Mod with a new fort.

It's 1st Hematite in the first year of settlement, so three months in. And...

The dead walk. Hide while you still can!

Fantastic.

I suppose I should have made a priority of establishing a defensive perimeter. I have only seven dwarves with, naturally, no metalworking or anything of that sort. After a short and not particularly sweet battle, "my strength is broken". Time to reclaim, perhaps.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38620 on: December 17, 2014, 07:31:42 pm »

Just reclaimed a worldgen-built fort of a civilization that's been dead for ~2400 years. The instant I close the intro screen telling you about the embark I get the message "Horrifying screams come from the darkness below!"

Open adamantine spire down by the magma forges. Walls of generated passageways that would have been made of the stuff are made of "unknown material"

Pretty much instant ‼xXFUNXx‼ Didn't get the fort entrance sealed quick enough. All but two died in a horrible fire, then the FPS crash came.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Djinternet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38621 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:41 pm »

Yet another zombie siege at my fort due to my neighbors' three different necromancer towers. This time a live goblin came with them. That seems to have borked something, because they've been out there two seasons and haven't tried to path to my fortress or kill any wildlife. They're still just hanging out in the northeast corner of the map while my dwarfs build a road.

Most disappointing siege ever. On the plus side, a cyclops attacked about two weeks in and Tekkud Breachlancer is now Tekkud Breachlancer the Chasm of Blades.

Amusingly, he's actually a hammer lord.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38622 on: December 17, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »

Alath Tombproblem 'went missing' for a week.

I checked my stocks to see if the bookkeeper had logged any corpses being deposited in the refuse piles recently, lo and behold there was Alath Tombproblem's corpse.

It is being treated as an accident, that Alath made it so far down into the refuse piles past all the elf corpses and raven corpses where no one could see or hear Alath until Alath died.
The alternative is someone killed Alath and hid the body in a corner no one would notice until the search parties were sent out a week later. There may be a murderer on the loose in Silentthunders.

Tarkakagogue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38623 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:25 pm »

The mountain home Boltcarnage had an interesting goblin siege composed of one goblin lasher and about 30 human and dwarf conscripts.
This too shall pass.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38624 on: December 17, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »

Hrrr, even more mechanisms linked up. Testing time is drawing near.

Sometime in all the excitement i've failed to fulfil a mandate. Duke is feeling slightly miffed (but still ecstatic) because of course i'm not going to tie a dwarf up for 76 days in .34.11. Fine, Duke, you can have your brass table in your tomb, now kindly shut up.
Pages: 1 ... 2573 2574 [2575] 2576 2577 ... 3836