Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2574 2575 [2576] 2577 2578 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861678 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38625 on: December 17, 2014, 11:31:28 pm »

Hey Mr. Bear, look, I bought you a Mrs. Bear.
Oops, it seems I made a mistake.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:33:11 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38626 on: December 18, 2014, 03:45:23 am »

It's been a long time (around 40.03) since I last played a fort. Start one up and look at my expedition leader's thought-of-the-moment:

"I was near to my own Bed. I am so proud!"

Ok, I knew dwarves get Interested near furniture, but pride?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38627 on: December 18, 2014, 05:02:00 am »

Lessons learned the hard way:
- If you put the levers controlling pump station access and pump gear assembly, respectively, next to each other, do not confuse them while filling your cistern. Muddy water in the dining hall leads to Fun.
- People will find a way to drown in the cistern. Plan accordingly.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38628 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:46 am »

It's been a long time (around 40.03) since I last played a fort. Start one up and look at my expedition leader's thought-of-the-moment:

"I was near to my own Bed. I am so proud!"

Ok, I knew dwarves get Interested near furniture, but pride?

Dwarves get thoughts based on their personality traits. Your guy isn't just being fascinated by a well crafted item he's proud that he owns it. 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38629 on: December 18, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »

Craterglazed is a months old fort, and I just got a kobold thief.

Hallelujah! I'm glad I started a new fort.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38630 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:52 pm »

So I'm damn well certain that I've mined one of my candy tubes as low as I can get without releasing the clown car, but I've also just spotted a second tube on my map.
To dig or not to dig...

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38631 on: December 18, 2014, 03:26:41 pm »

New fort, new fun. Is there something specific I should know about necromancer sieges? Do I have to fear that refuse pile takes a horrible revenge if its deep underground? What kind of weapon is good against zombies?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38632 on: December 18, 2014, 03:29:25 pm »

New fort, new fun. Is there something specific I should know about necromancer sieges? Do I have to fear that refuse pile takes a horrible revenge if its deep underground? What kind of weapon is good against zombies?
1: No, the necro has to see the corpses to raise them. If it's deep underground, and behind a locked door, you should be okay.
2: Blunt weapons, preferably ones with a high pulp rate. Maces and the like.

Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38633 on: December 18, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »

So I'm damn well certain that I've mined one of my candy tubes as low as I can get without releasing the clown car, but I've also just spotted a second tube on my map.
To dig or not to dig...

Do you even need to ask?

You can be somewhat cheaty and carve a fortification into the tube to get a mostly-safe view of the fun contents. Doing that tends to do nasty things to your FPS, though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38634 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »

To dig or not to dig...

Do you even need to ask?

You can be somewhat cheaty and carve a fortification into the tube to get a mostly-safe view of the fun contents. Doing that tends to do nasty things to your FPS, though.

Do carved fortifications behave like smooth walls rather than constructed walls? Because enemies will climb over fortifications.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38635 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:36 pm »

Eh, my FPS is already in hell I don't want to take it lower than that so I'll pass on the forticarving. I'm going to dig the top layer and try my luck there. When I've made my mind up on how many layers I'll want in the future at least I'll already have a tunnel in place to extract the stuff.
*EDIT
My Dwarves refuse to dig into the spire. Pansies.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:20:43 pm by Loud Whispers »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38636 on: December 18, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »

Latest fort went down to a plague of werehorses.  The first one bit three people, and I only found two of them.  Then it mushroomed.  Those buggers are mighty fighters, and go through unarmed dwarves like FB dust.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38637 on: December 18, 2014, 07:06:07 pm »

Summer, 2nd year

Rhymes with "ducked".

So I got a huge immigrant wave - and by huge, I mean that the 18 spare bedrooms I had weren't even close to sufficient for the massive influx - 50 odd dwarves, half of which were children.  I got bed-building and room digging tasks up there pronto but summer showed up and a vast undead invasion siege of 80 creatures or so turned up at the beginning of summer.

Just one of these creatures could wipe out my fort, let alone 80.

I'm cheating a bit, admittedly - it's a harder embark than I normally try.  I tried leaving it as it is - sealing the base, then hoping the invaders would sod off.  But if just one climbs the exterior wall (and twice, they did, thank heavens for the 'die' command in dfhack), a single zombie will happily slaughter my entire fort with or without copper weapons.  So not good, not good at all.

Instead, I've decided to wall off all stairwells.  This is a terrible strategy - there's now no access to farms or livestock, and probably not effective - where I've had to build the walls they're still climbable (though less accessible).

So what the hell do I do now?  My food/booze supplies are not great (200ish of each) giving my fortress about 6 months to live unless I can somehow establish lower level farms (hurting this is no real access to water and the fact that almost all my seeds are currently planted in now inaccessible areas).  I have rapidly dimishing supplies of wood and no coal.

My suggested solution at this stage is to try to wall off "properly", and try to breach the caverns like right now.  Without any sort of military presence or constructing proper sealable bridges this is a choice between dying by zombies and dying by the first forgotten beast that shows its face.  Also:  Even if the undead siege sods off I basically will have few seeds to re-establish the farms, and I'm kind of assuming the livestock will get zombified and *won't* sod off - giving me a second, difficult to solve problem.

I love this game  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:08:07 pm by bigcalm »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38638 on: December 18, 2014, 07:31:41 pm »

The broker was trapped in a tree with his pet gorilla. I had to send someone to build a floor over the gap.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38639 on: December 19, 2014, 01:47:15 am »

Sledgehammers of eternal justice. Preferably silver. The only way to 'kill' the undead is to pulp everything.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 2574 2575 [2576] 2577 2578 ... 3836