Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2575 2576 [2577] 2578 2579 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861725 times)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38640 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:56 am »

New fort, new fun. Is there something specific I should know about necromancer sieges? Do I have to fear that refuse pile takes a horrible revenge if its deep underground? What kind of weapon is good against zombies?

Sledgehammers of eternal justice. Preferably silver. The only way to 'kill' the undead is to pulp everything.
Ah, nothing beats good 'n' old hammers. And of course, previous forts were copper/bronze-only sites, and now when I have access to tons and tons of iron... blunt weapon tiiimmeee...

I read that whips are "blunt" weapons that have smallest contact area... wouldnt these be the ideal weapon?

Haha, amusing. I was so near of wiping the whole necromancer threat once and for all. Got two of those academic hippies sneaking to my doorstep, my military being behind the gate... but they managed to escape, I would have needed an extra second and they would have been smashed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:46:43 am by Kuikka »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38641 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:51 am »

So what the hell do I do now?  My food/booze supplies are not great (200ish of each) giving my fortress about 6 months to live unless I can somehow establish lower level farms (hurting this is no real access to water and the fact that almost all my seeds are currently planted in now inaccessible areas).  I have rapidly dimishing supplies of wood and no coal.

My suggested solution at this stage is to try to wall off "properly", and try to breach the caverns like right now.  Without any sort of military presence or constructing proper sealable bridges this is a choice between dying by zombies and dying by the first forgotten beast that shows its face.  Also:  Even if the undead siege sods off I basically will have few seeds to re-establish the farms, and I'm kind of assuming the livestock will get zombified and *won't* sod off - giving me a second, difficult to solve problem.
Do you have access to soil? If so, breach the caverns, immediately seal them off then dig out vast 'natural farms' in the soil. Stuff will grow there so long as the caverns had water. Herbalists do their work, immediately turn their output into seeds and plant the seeds as normal.

I'm too used to breaching the magma sea within first season of embark. It's not an efficient usage of earlygame mining time, but it's my routine to know where the caverns and magma are.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38642 on: December 19, 2014, 08:53:32 am »

You can be somewhat cheaty and carve a fortification into the tube to get a mostly-safe view of the fun contents. Doing that tends to do nasty things to your FPS, though.

Do carved fortifications behave like smooth walls rather than constructed walls? Because enemies will climb over fortifications.

Walls with fortifications carved into them work as normal walls (or wall grates if you will) - they completely block normal passage. I sneaked a peek into the blue tubes several times and never had unwelcome visitors come through.

I've only once done it in DF2014 so far, and while it worked, the FPS hit was debilitating.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38643 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:40 am »

Started Prisonrooms (I mean, what a name!)

Embarked with nothing but a pick and anvil in temperate wastelands, no vegetation or trees.  Drilled straight down to the first cavern, and promptly lost all but my miner to a cave crocodile as soon as they went to drink.

Received 6 migrants about that time, and have been trying to keep the dream alive  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38644 on: December 19, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »

Industry is booming, automation of hauling via minecarts is underway, the goblins.... completely ignore me. I had goblin neighbors, but not even a single snatcher yet. Maybe it's because my fort is far away and they are still walking? but it's year 8, they REALLY should arrive at some point...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38645 on: December 19, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »

Punched through three layers of the tube; so far I haven't excavated the third layer fully and am working on the second. I am creating a Necrobacon trap in the event of a clown car being found. Tensions are high, digging has ceased in the meantime.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38646 on: December 19, 2014, 01:18:52 pm »

Punched through three layers of the tube; so far I haven't excavated the third layer fully and am working on the second. I am creating a Necrobacon trap in the event of a clown car being found. Tensions are high, digging has ceased in the meantime.

is this meant to be understood by anyone? necrobacon trap, what?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38647 on: December 19, 2014, 01:29:44 pm »

Weaponized necromancer bacon. Looking over that thread I need to fix all those broken images.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38648 on: December 19, 2014, 01:42:26 pm »

Weaponized necromancer bacon. Looking over that thread I need to fix all those broken images.
Whispers, how do you get your avatar to change like that? Every time the page refreshes you have a different image under your name...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38649 on: December 19, 2014, 01:52:07 pm »

Use an avatar rotation site like signavatar

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38650 on: December 19, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »

Or randimg
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38651 on: December 19, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »

"I am uncovered. This isn't embarrassing."

Looks like few years of forced nakedness has taught the fort's imprisoned were-infected to tolerate his lack of clothes. I didn't know that's now possible.

I am only slightly tempted to build a dwarven nudist colony as my next project.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38652 on: December 19, 2014, 04:06:47 pm »

My first fort in 40.20 is coming along nicely so far. That is, until the first strange mood. A stoneworker withdrew from society and then claimed a mason's workshop. So far, so good. I was hoping for some kind of artifact furniture, didn't matter really. Anything would have done. He grabbed some magnetite ore, then proceeded to simply sit in the workshop. When I (q) him he is showing pictures of a quarry. And I have sandstone, jet, and blocks of both available. So I'm not sure what to do about him. He doesn't seem to want any of it.

He's getting close to the point where he'll go insane soon, and I'd like to avoid it. Any ideas?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38653 on: December 19, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »

Is the quarry the only thing he's drawing? Perhaps he's also looking for some cloth.
You can check by waiting on the 'q' screen for the quarries to disappear; since the game is paused while viewing the interface, you can safely do this. It should cycle through and show you everything he wants and/or is missing.

If it ONLY shows quarries, you're in trouble.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38654 on: December 19, 2014, 04:13:23 pm »

Is the quarry the only thing he's drawing? Perhaps he's also looking for some cloth.
You can check by waiting on the 'q' screen for the quarries to disappear; since the game is paused while viewing the interface, you can safely do this. It should cycle through and show you everything he wants and/or is missing.

If it ONLY shows quarries, you're in trouble.

It only shows quarries. I am in trouble.
Pages: 1 ... 2575 2576 [2577] 2578 2579 ... 3836