Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2578 2579 [2580] 2581 2582 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861547 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38685 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:06 am »

Funny enough, the miner just slept on the ground, despite he was in his own room.
He is proud near his own bed.
Are you kidding me, Urist?

Guess he and his lover had not decided who should use the bed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:27:02 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38686 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:22 am »

Just my luck. I embarked with two sows and a boar. One of the sows is asexual, and the boar is gay. It's been two years, and I've only just twigged that I didn't have lots of little piglets to turn into tasty, tasty bacon.
Piggies have sexuality tags too?
They have something of the sort: Dwarf Therapist shows symbols which, for dwarves, would be interpreted the way I reported.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #38687 on: December 22, 2014, 11:02:31 am »

Coral's pretty strong as far as FB's/titans goes. Yet the last beast made of coral i met was killed without fuss by a few military dwarves. (Though, it was in 0.31)
Yeah, coral can be nasty. I had a coral quadruped forgotten beast decimate my military and it would've destroyed my fort if it weren't for a random farmer kicking the beast's head off. Granted, the beast was so strong because it could shoot webs and managed to incapacitate my military with said webs but still. Was a potential fort-ending scenario.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38688 on: December 22, 2014, 03:33:57 pm »

Holy crap.

So zombies are harder to rekill, yea?  And I can't appoint an army until ??? because ??? ?  This is fair because ??? ?

Anyway, we got inside, and the goddamn birds are circling the hole we made.  I haven't been able to close the roof yet and I'm afraid to send them out to get supplies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38689 on: December 22, 2014, 04:00:16 pm »

Seeing as how I sacrificed my previous undead army to the magma sea I've had to rebuild a new one for a better purpose. War Pigs are being processed into War Corpses alongside the skeletons of previous undead hordes that lie unused in my refuse stockpiles. I may also finally have a use for all those elf corpses littering my corridors and ramparts. Once I finally attain a breeding pair of tame rutherers I think I'll also process all wild/non domesticated rutherers into war corpses as well.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38690 on: December 22, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »

I had to kill a farmer who just wouldn't get over her stress.  Her life was a bed of roses, but she was still intermittently wandering obliviously and tantruming.  After she wiped out a whole field full of pig tails, she needed a... vision quest... in the quarantine ward.  Sadly, she did not survive.

Is there any way to remove or reduce stress once dwarves have it?  Just letting their lives be calm doesn't seem to help  :P
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38691 on: December 22, 2014, 06:16:02 pm »

I had to kill a farmer who just wouldn't get over her stress.  Her life was a bed of roses, but she was still intermittently wandering obliviously and tantruming.  After she wiped out a whole field full of pig tails, she needed a... vision quest... in the quarantine ward.  Sadly, she did not survive.

Is there any way to remove or reduce stress once dwarves have it?  Just letting their lives be calm doesn't seem to help  :P

I have a lever in my fortress that removes stress. It goes to a drawbridge.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38692 on: December 22, 2014, 06:24:56 pm »

Depends very much on the dwarf's personality; dwarfs need to be "haggard" or worse to actually start tantrumming, so she must've had some serious issues. The best way is always not to let it get that far - intervene while the dwarf's still only "stressed"; once bouts of temporary insanity crop up, the dwarf becomes a pure liability. Un-stressing is possible, but it takes time. And with "time", i mean years of keeping away all bad thoughts. Having lots of happy thoughts does almost nothing, the crucial thing is that _negative_ thoughts must be entirely absent, even the minor (brown-labelled) annoyances like getting caught in the rain.

I've treated a few "stressed" dwarfs successfully by making sure they always had satisfying work to do and didn't need to go outside. Fixing a "haggard" dwarf is much more gruelling; especially when they're prone to tantrums, which directly hurt your buildings and population and may even cause further unhappy thoughts to the tantrummer. I've got one or two (out of ten or so) back into a state that they were no longer an immediate threat to their fellow citizens by locking them into a lavish room and feeding them via ceiling hatch for half a year or so.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38693 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:32 pm »

I've got one or two (out of ten or so) back into a state that they were no longer an immediate threat to their fellow citizens by locking them into a lavish room and feeding them via ceiling hatch for half a year or so.
'ARE YOU HAPPY YET URIST?'
'Yes, can I come out now?'
'NO, HAVE ANOTHER SUGAR ROAST'

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38694 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:00 am »

Cleaning up after a gobbo siege, putting the finishing touches on a drowning trap... and the necromancer tower decides to pay me a visit. With 4 human necromancers hauling along their entourage of dead human bodies. This is going to be fun... or !!Fun!!..
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38695 on: December 23, 2014, 03:11:55 am »

Sodel Teskomingiz, war hammer lord of the Bronze Militia (so named because they're armed with bronze weapons) has the honor of the first goblin kill and thus will be the recipient of a masterwork steel warhammer decorated at least with aluminum. I'm still not sure how the goblin got into my fortress after I closed my gates. Oh well. I made my promise and I intend to keep it.

Turns out my legendary metalcrafter was one of the dwarves killed by the cursed werecritter. I selected a useless migrant with a preference for lead and trained her up to legendary making lead crafts. Of course, only after she hits legendary does she get a mood... A metalcrafting possession, of course. For maximum annoyance. She grabbed a single lead bar (shocking, I know) and churned out a leaden figurine. The only redeeming part of this sordid tale is that the figurine depicts the ascension of the first queen of my civilization in the year 2.
I had her decorate a masterpiece steel warhammer with aluminum, electrum, and platinum.

Jadeiron is replete with rope reed cloth of extremely high quality, in excess of 600 urists. I have a further excess of 600 rope reed plants that are yet unprocessed, but an immigrant Accomplished Thresher is hard at work at just that, occasionally assisted by lesser skilled dopes with other duties. As such, I have put my rope reed field to fallow for the time being and begun growing dimple cups to be milled into dye. I intend to dye every last scrap of thread and cloth in the fortress before I resume growing plants. I may switch to a different fiber crop though, perhaps one with multiple uses. Flax would be nice. Need seeds for it though.

I would of course prefer to be dying everything with emerald dye (the name of the fortress is Jadeiron after all) but I haven't been able to get any blade weed seeds yet. Oh well.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38696 on: December 24, 2014, 05:35:49 am »

I hit a hollow cavity; the second tube was fool's candy. I've mobilized everything and pulled the lever, its 176 of the angriest horrors fighting against 148 of Silentthunders great army and its own horrors it has readied to unleash on them in turn.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38697 on: December 24, 2014, 09:18:18 am »

OK boys... the first we heard of a problem with Outpost #34 was from a would-be migrant, Cheesemaker named Melbil.  Things have gone completely elf-shaped.

To start with, seems the lads down in Logistics gave the place what they thought was a "fun" name... Bomrekusan.  Yeah, "Whipmurdered".  Barrel of laughs, that lot.  Initial surveys showed limonite on the surface and gold not too deep; there's also a dolomite spur right outside the main cliff wall that would make a phenomenal guard tower.  Prime mountainhome material.  Other good news, it's a flanking move on the greenies, since one of their main cities is nearby and it would force them to leave a heavy force there instead of tearing about the countryside, pissing in other people's beer.  Wins all round, yeah?

Since there was no water anywhere on the surface and sand ain't brewable, the initial contact team struck a downward trail into the deeps.  First cavern was a good mix of land and water.  Based on the limited recon our timid little cheesemaking scout was able to do, the mountain is FULL of gold.  Seems it's also full of spiders.  The first big'un that rolled in killed the stonecrafter and crippled the miner; its mate was right behind and wiped out everything.  Poor little Cheesey said there were webs and dead dwarves everywhere.  She lit out for the nearest settlement as fast as her pig tail shoes could carry her.

I think we should send a squad of proper military with a skeleton support crew; we don't want to lose this site.  All in favor?  The ayes have it.  Back to Whipmurdered we go... bring some spider repellent.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #38698 on: December 24, 2014, 09:47:29 am »

I just started a new embark at a river, and this is what i found:

Dear god the hippos

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38699 on: December 24, 2014, 09:59:01 am »

Its your duty to catch a breeding pair, you know.  Just string some traps by the water.

- - -

In my own fort, we have more civilians killing zombie ducks, and I think I learned that contact with a dwarf will  speed up the reanimation process.  A duck tore the hand of a caravan guard up, and he's resting his way off the map.  And we finally got rid of the ducks that had been hanging out for about a year . . . to get more ducks.  Soo many ducks.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 2578 2579 [2580] 2581 2582 ... 3836