Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2619 2620 [2621] 2622 2623 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859661 times)

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39300 on: January 25, 2015, 10:27:46 am »

I'm currently expanding my fortress and setting up some very basic defense and training my army. I expect a undead siege to come soon, then I'm expanding my farms. I'll also start deploying some weapon traps with glass weapons and when I finish that I'll pump my fort economically. By the way a Diplomat left unhappy before we could talk and aparently I got a mayor elected.

It's been quiet and humble times, overall.
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39301 on: January 25, 2015, 10:43:45 am »

This will be Marksdwarf Fortress more than Dwarf Fortress. 

Not only I am building a pyramid with fortifications, I am also making self-replicating goblin archer bait with puppies enclosed between fortifications.

I was thinking of magma traps, but that would mean no free clothes for my dwarves. Water traps are possible but first I must raise the water about 59 z-levels, so not really.

I also am setting up dwarven cave-in mines around the surface (not sure about that though, they're a bit obnoxious to reload).

Yeah, I'm playing fortress defense. Haven't had any siege for now but it's the second year and i'm at 55 dwarves or such.

It is probably going to get real fun soon. Three sieges in the same season, anyone ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:45:52 am by Naryar »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39302 on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:32 am »

My military is getting pretty good at killing cave crocs and gorlacs and the such, I'm about to make a sword squad for the upper part of the fort and about to try to replace most of my dwarves equipment with iron since I finaly ran into some

Now what to do with all this copper?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #39303 on: January 25, 2015, 11:53:17 am »

Large, serrated copper discs, of course! Doesn't matter if they're not all hitting or dealing damage, if there are three hundred of them...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39304 on: January 25, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »

My military is getting pretty good at killing cave crocs and gorlacs and the such, I'm about to make a sword squad for the upper part of the fort and about to try to replace most of my dwarves equipment with iron since I finaly ran into some

Good uses for copper

-Bolts
-Crossbows (heavy, so makes a crossbow less horrible in melee)
-Shields (heavy, so increases shield bash, so are pretty much the best shields in melee. For marksdwarves, use something lighter)

Other uses:

-Alloy it and make bronze if you have cassierite on your map
-Use it for constructions (too bad it has a somewhat ugly brown color instead of reddish)
-Make furniture, minecarts, chains, other objects, etc... Preferably objects that will be static because copper is heavy.

But mostly bolts, crossbows and shields.

Large, serrated copper discs, of course! Doesn't matter if they're not all hitting or dealing damage, if there are three hundred of them...

Eh. Honestly no, or at least not for weapon use. Copper is just poor and doesn't cut through goblin armor.

I'm pretty sure a better use of copper in traps would be warhammers or bolts and crossbows.

Large serrated copper discs are a fine trade good though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:02:39 pm by Naryar »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39305 on: January 25, 2015, 12:47:22 pm »

At a population of over 70, I've just pierced the aquifer. I'll finally be expanding underground as soon as I've got the drain set up and the hole patched up. Despite not having mines yet, and my military being outfitted almost entirely in copper, my metalworking industry is utterly voracious, I can barely import metal fast enough to keep pace, and I've been buying every single metal item the caravans have to offer. The elves have declared war on my, despite me not having ever hurt them or offered them wood (I think they dislike the fact that at this point I've turned thousands of trees into charcoal). My baroness is incredibly susceptible to stress and just got out of prison - she was in for punching a pig just before becoming baroness.

On the plus side, I have plenty of platinum statues, every dwarf has a crossbow and ammunition, all the dwarves are wearing at least leather and bone armour with a copper mail shirt, I have defeated an undead siege through direct combat without traps (crossbow zerg ftw), the hospital is effective and stocked with soap and clean water, and tantrums are rare.

Also, my head doctor, who was appointed with no skills from the starting 7, is now a Legendary diagnostician. A lot of stuff has gone down these past four years.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39306 on: January 25, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »

Hey guys is it a good time to jump in on this update? I haven't played since forges were thrones.

Also does anyone else interpret "poet", "bard" and "dancer" with the last update as "hauler, bricklayer, militia" ?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39307 on: January 25, 2015, 02:53:56 pm »

Copper ballista siege bolts or crossbow bolts. Where wooden crossbow bolts are decent, wooden ballista bolts are quite weak. Ammo uses its weight for calculating damage AFAIK so heavy metal bolts shine.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39308 on: January 25, 2015, 03:14:21 pm »

After several seasons of waiting, and many, many crundles, I've finally caught a GCS! I brought it wild to a tiny enclosure with a window of fortifications toward a large room, where a tasty stray cat (tame) was chained up. But the spider didn't start slinging webs. I tried swapping the cat out for a donkey, but still nothing. So I tried pasturing the donkey instead of chaining it up, and while it did try to flee from the spider still no webs were slung, not even at the dwarf I locked in there. What am I doing wrong? Is the spider just not interested in webbing right now? Note that the spider is wild and cannot move from the spot it's standing on.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39309 on: January 25, 2015, 03:27:06 pm »

The second goblin siege has been finally finished in Dorrenimar, Diamondpath, in the late winter. The fame of fortress rise so high king has arrived in the spring. Though other seem to get a message about dwarf count hitting 200 popcap and fort wealth hitting 3M. So in the first day of summer, the third siege started.

The first one was 10 goblins in copper armours and all have been killed. The second one was 24 goblins with copper / iron armours from which 3 have been caged and the rest killed. Now I have 33 goblins with 22 trolls at my doors. First time seeing trolls for me IIRC. And one of them is not just a wrestler like the other but Troll Swordsman. I am probably finally going to get my walls and moats tested.

1)
Get behind walls. Prepare ballista tower. Move squads to gates.

2)
Trolls are quite fast. Three of them run straight for the gates. But positioning some war dogs next to a group of cage traps seems like a good idea. During the fight got one of those three caged.

3)
Some dogs survived the fight and headed to gate. The second troll pursued it. The third one headed for ballista tower doors. Oh no, I haven't thought about anti-item-destroyer design there. Sending three civilians to prepare those ballistas seems like a really bad idea now. Another troll got caged, at least.

4)
Dog got behind walls. Mayor, member of marksdwarf squad, went forward on bridge to attack incoming troll while the rest of his squad was busy getting up at walls. After few shots troll charged him, mayor got pushed back at the beginning of the bridge. Then the bridge closed. I got two messages about "XXX's masterwork has been lost". one "AAA's mandate has ended" and one "BBB was elected a mayor." I guess he didn't manage to get out there in time. Where that troll is I am not sure yet, I am currently busy saving this incident.

This will surely be fun summer (and maybe even next seasons)... and human caravan will be here soon. Yay.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #39310 on: January 25, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »

Decided to wall off the caverns for two main reasons:
1. To stop my dwarves running all the way down to pick random stuff up.
2. To stop any hostiles from getting in to my fort.

It's a good thing I did, because I've just seen a GCS murder the remaining rodent people.

The magma pump stack has hit a snag, several z-levels of open air between the cavern ceiling and the cavern floor. I would just build stairs downwards, but there's at least one cave crocodile down there.

I think a military may be in order. I was going to delay the construction of a military until after I breach the magma sea and got a magma powered steel industry running, but I think I'll create some steel the old fashioned way in the meantime.

A child was taken by a fey mood, and subsequently created an artefact Giant cave bat bone crossbow.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39311 on: January 25, 2015, 03:51:30 pm »

Also does anyone else interpret "poet", "bard" and "dancer" with the last update as "hauler, bricklayer, militia" ?
What?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39312 on: January 25, 2015, 04:02:58 pm »

What?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Toady said: "We're using "poet", "bard" and "dancer" as professional names for the moment." in current development of taverns.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39313 on: January 25, 2015, 04:20:10 pm »

It's a joke on what professions those with those job titles will actually be doing. People dislike poets and bards a lot, so they get to do menial labor. Fighting is pretty close to dancing, at least if it's dwarven Morris dancing.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39314 on: January 25, 2015, 07:40:42 pm »

The concept of my powerless minecart full adder looked quite nice, so i built one. With twelve bits. Drawn from a pair of registers that are only read from for this express purpose. And the result is fed back into one of the registers (chooseable). It took 664 mechanisms in total and worked perfectly on the first try: i put a one in each register and then sent output to each of them in turn, resulting in the good old Fibonacci series. Accurate results all the way until the numbers rolled around and generated a token carry-out at the highest bit (1597+2584 = carry-out (4096) and 85). The cart takes around 100 steps to pass through the adder, but must be started 80 steps after the first read is triggered so the backfeed works. It could presumably calculate once every 200 steps or so. The adder itself takes only three doors per bit, two linkages from summand inputs and two internal plates and links to send carry to the next cell. Both "on" and "off" outputs are sent. It's a good deal slower than a mechanical adder, but uses much fewer mechanisms and no power, and only a single minecart in the adder itself. More than half of the mechanism count is made up of the twelve-bit registers, the adder itself accounts for 300, 144 of which for output links.

Video of the contraption adding 144+233=377, best viewed at 300 speed:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2716-powerlessminecartadder
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:24:52 am by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 2619 2620 [2621] 2622 2623 ... 3836